Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
A little piece of info that might be useful for the OP:

Red Orchestra 2 owners who are not sure if they are going to like Rising Storm will be able to play the game FREE when it releases. Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 will become, for all intents and purposes, the same game and you'll be able to try out all of the Rising Storm maps. Think of it as getting a massive content patch with half a dozen new maps and a ton of bug fixes and game improvements that carry over into Red Orchestra 2.

Red Orchestra 2 users will be limited to playing the Rifleman role, spawning with bolt action rifles and not able to earn Honor or Class/Weapon XP while playing a Rising Storm map but you'll be able to play in any Rising Storm Server and servers will be able to switch freely from Rising Storm to Red Orchestra 2 maps.

*Full Disclosure for people not following the RO2 thread: I'm currently employed at Tripwire Interactive and actively working on Rising Storm. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

milk man posted:

e: ^ I don't know if you're involved in / knowledgeable about little gameplay mechanics but if I drop my pistol/katana will I run faster? Are "having a heavy primary" and "having two primaries" the only things that alter your run speed or can I shed some dead weight weapons I never use to sprint a little farther?

Primary weapons all have a weight to them and having something like an LMG or two rifles is going to slow you down due to the game's encumbrance system. Things get a bit fuzzier with the sidearms and "other" weapons because there's some fudged math to make sure people who spawn with a lot of gear (Commanders spawn with an SMG/Rifle, grenades, smoke grenades, sidearm and potentially a katana) don't feel like they're running through molasses.

Short answer: Don't bother dropping your sidearm if you're trying to run farther or faster.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

SeanBeansShako posted:

Goon working with Tripwire, throw in a filter or just make that POS Punkbuster take away these peoples option to communicate forever.

Seriously, where did these goddamn social rejects come from? I don't ever recall seeing these type of people in my 1942 expanded or realism mod days.

I've heard some real horror stories from the old guard here at the office about the racist fucks that make up the community, certain mod teams and server admins. Often times it goes beyond being funny or offensive and just makes me depressed. If there was some way I could track these people in a database, ban their accounts and then send them a picture of me donating their money to Equality Now I would in a heartbeat.

There's just something about the Pacific theater that brings the Asian racism out of people the same way that the inclusion of the Wehrmacht brings the anti-Semites and homophobes out of the woodwork. :suicide:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Party Plane Jones posted:

You don't need the RO2 Beta.

You don't need the RO2 beta and if you just want to play RS install the RS Beta and leave RO2 uninstalled for now. Once the game goes live the beta app will disappear and everything will be on the main RO2 and you'll need to re-download that.

Fair warning to those with limited bandwidth, the RS Beta is getting 4 gig updates every couple of days while we iterate on maps based on beta feedback and data mining and it's going to be that way until we're ready to launch.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

When is this expected to launch? I have to redownload everything at that time even if I install RO2 now, right?

You have to download a big ol' patch for RO2 when RS releases. Installing RO2 now isn't your best bet. I'd stick with the beta for RS until the release. We're also splitting the single player portion into it's own thing once RS releases so that will save you some bandwidth.

Sorry, can't give you any expected launch until it's officially announced. That's the kind advertising undermining leak that gets people fired.

"Sooner than you'd think, but not as soon as you'd like" has been the official company statement.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yup. Everyone who pre-ordered the game should have 2 beta passes to give away. You might have to re-start Steam before they show up in your inventory but we gave those out last night.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Mans posted:

One annoying bug i found is that if you get left behind when the enemy caps a point and you're placed outside the combat zone and get the red vision warning even when you fall back your vision will still be red.

You play the rest of your life with Terminator vision. While annoying this is also a major exploit, since in night maps you can see everyone clearly, allowing you to pick the enemy apart.

Sometimes this works with the regular warning too. Basically if you want to exploit the gently caress out of night matches all you need to do is flank, get the red vision warning and repeat it until your vision is permanently red.

I hope they fix this even if it's kind of awesome to pretend i'm the Predator or something.

That was one that got fixed recently but didn't make it into the latest beta build. Should be fixed next time the beta updates.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

An Enormous Boner posted:

Oh gently caress me, I accidentally left the group and now StuntCock is the admin. If you're reading this poo poo please re-add me.

Sure thing!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Epic Hamcat posted:

Some of the menu text in RS is broken (http://i.imgur.com/RCE77JL.png) and parts of the spawn menu are in German. Validating files didn't help. Anyone know a fix?

Are you by any chance subscribed to any of the Steam Workshop mods like Updated Text, Declutter my HUD or anything like that? I've seen one or two of these cause problems once the menus were updated during the release of Rising Storm from the old RO2 menus. If you have subscribed to these you may need to unsubscribe and delete the custom content.

Just a shot in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Flannelette posted:

I thought S&D was a mode made by some modders for unranked servers and tripwire are only making it "official" since some people like it.

That's a pretty succinct summary. There was an interest from some of the competitive clans to make the mod official. It's getting some bug fixes, maps and admin support.

• Locked thread