Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dash Nine
Jun 20, 2003

Rawk.

Interstellar Owl posted:

So did anything come of that thing on Art Bell's webpage?

From what Ive read, looks like he has something in the works and according to him "Its what you think"..

God I hope so, and I hope he steals George Knapp back for a show a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I was listening to a recent episode with John B. Wells and Brad Thor, and holy hell it was terrible. It's ostensibly about the Federal Reserve but it pretty quickly descends into the worst GEORGE ZIMMERMAN IS A WHITE HISPANIC OBAMA'S STIRRING UP RACIAL TENSION garbage that sounded completely indistinguishable from any conservative radio personality.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Interstellar Owl posted:

So did anything come of that thing on Art Bell's webpage?

He said on his Twitter that his website "means exactly what you think it does." On Sunday he tweeted that he can't really elaborate on that.

The Littlest Man
Jun 24, 2005

(Duke, who would want this)

I've been listening back through a bunch of old C2C stuff on YouTube. Are there any podcasts similar to the old Art Bell run? I used to subscribe to Hometown Tales but they seem to be defunct now. I just want something creepy and interesting to listen to at work :(

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/radios-art-bell-returning-sirius-xm-show

DUDES! DUDES! ART BELL IS BACK... IN A NEW SHOW ON SATELLITE RADIO!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

M3wThr33 posted:

Awww yeah! I wasjust coming to link this! SO EXCITING!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

M3wThr33 posted:

Greatest. News. Ever. :woop:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
He's capable of doing a weekday show again? I thought health problems prevented that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

livingfruitvirus posted:

He's capable of doing a weekday show again? I thought health problems prevented that.

He stopped to spend time with his family mostly. He did have a bout with an old back injury back in 2002, but iirc he was going through therapy for it.

Sept. 16th. Best birthday present ever.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 31, 2013

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So is Art going to push some latest SiriusXM Radio as the greatest receiver ever rather then the C Crane Plus? :D

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

So is Art going to push some latest SiriusXM Radio as the greatest receiver ever rather then the C Crane Plus? :D

Thankfully Sirius has very little commercials so we'll not have to listen to any E FOODS DIRECT bollocks.

I hope.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

That drat Satyr posted:

Thankfully Sirius has very little commercials so we'll not have to listen to any E FOODS DIRECT bollocks.

I hope.

Sirius commercials are more like boner pills and sketchy dating services.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Haven't decided on a plan yet. Might end up just using the Android app, but I've seen a shitload of 1-star reviews.

On a more positive note, Art Bell's FB page has been quite active.
https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?fref=ts

quote:

As you all can see I am up late (in training for Dark Matter) as somebody mentioned on my page there is no reason both shows can not coexist. George does one type of show and I do another, both should benefit from competition, that's how the rest of the World works.

BTW, Dark Matter can be heard on your I phone or Android as well as your computer just ask Sirius/XM you do not have to buy a receiver. But do check out artbell.com for how cool the orbits are for their birds, true Extraterrestrial Radio.

quote:

Sirius/XM is giving me complete freedom, so I think instead of three hours I will most times do four hours which will then be repeated right away! I will start with favorite Guest's then climb new mountains after a couple of Weeks. I must keep in mind that there 26 million there most who have never heard of the show. This is going to be fun!

quote:

Dark Matter will NOT be a Political show, I will leave that to everybody else. Dark Matter will be EVERYTHING else. Politics is simply no longer relevant to anything important in my life. As for competition, it makes everybody better. This is going to be fun!

quote:

I want to thank all of you for the many messages that never in a zillion Years I could answer. There is not much I
can say now. However some Months ago I asked Premiere to stop my Saturday replay, I thought they had run their
course and I wanted them gone for reasons I will not state here. They refused and continue to this day for reasons
I still don't understand, so thank Premiere for my new show. I also want to thank George for signing his new LONG
term contract. Without those two things I would not be going back on air. I would only add that if Premiere is going
to continue my Saturday show, please tag it at the end with.."for new shows, please tune to Sirius/XM 104".

With regard to George talking about my new show last night, whatever his motives were, he took the high
ground and can now pick up open lines without undue fear, good move and thanks for the plug.

George has a good trait, he is a nice guy. I would like to dispel the notion however that I picked him for the show, I did not.
The bone I have to pick is with Premiere and it goes well beyond Saturday replays, I have been called a serial Retiree
on the Web and it annoys me because the rest of the story has yet to be told. I may well tell it soon and I think you will
all be quite shocked.

Just randomly bumped his show from 3 to 4 hours. Explained there won't be ANY politics. And while he disagrees with the direction that Noory took the show, it was neither of their choices to have him take over.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I really can't wait to hear Art's explanation for the repeated retiring-then-returning spats. It always seemed like there was a lot more going on and that there was definitely some hostility going on underneath everything else.

I wonder, is there any kind of published data on what Premier's listening audience is overnight? I mean, will there be a way to tell if the numbers drop drastically when Art goes back on air, or if they're affected at all?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

I wonder, is there any kind of published data on what Premier's listening audience is overnight? I mean, will there be a way to tell if the numbers drop drastically when Art goes back on air, or if they're affected at all?

Anyone listening over AM radio isn't going to shell out for satellite or they don't know that it exists. I think he will dip into the pool of people paying for Coast Insider access though. I know I cancelled my subscription when I heard the news.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

vseslav.botkin posted:

I was listening to a recent episode with John B. Wells and Brad Thor, and holy hell it was terrible. It's ostensibly about the Federal Reserve but it pretty quickly descends into the worst GEORGE ZIMMERMAN IS A WHITE HISPANIC OBAMA'S STIRRING UP RACIAL TENSION garbage that sounded completely indistinguishable from any conservative radio personality.

John B. Wells is absolutely the bottom of the right wing talk radio barrel, going so far as, immediately after the Newtown shootings, to pull on a guest and talk for three hours about how he felt this had been a "false flag" operation conducted by the Obama administration to rally support for gun control.

He's an absolutely disgusting human being who seems to believe every black helicopters conspiracy theory on the planet, and it blows my mind that he gets to fly his bullshit under the same flag Art Bell used to talk under.

Can't wait for Dark Matter.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I cannot for the life of me remember the details because it was so long ago, and at that time I had very little knowledge of Art, but some time about 15 years ago I believe he retired for a spell because he was afraid for his life. I may be getting this wrong, but I feel like at one point he thought he was in mortal peril because he was speaking the truth about some drat thing or another.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm almost positive it happened.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm fairly sure it actually had something to do with his son having been molested

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Riptor posted:

I'm fairly sure it actually had something to do with his son having been molested

I thought his wife died..?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Interstellar Owl posted:

I thought his wife died..?

That was more recent. The thing with his son was around 2000, whereas Ramona died in 2006

Here's the stuff about his son. It's horrible

"E! Online from 1999 posted:

As the paranormal-oriented talk host hinted he was ready to reveal why he dropped below the radar suddenly last year, the media appeared to drop the bomb for him--revealing that his son was pursuing a lawsuit against an HIV-positive substitute teacher who last year was convicted of sexually assaulting the teen-ager.

Saturday's Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that Art Bell IV is suing both the teacher and the Nevada school district that hired the man.

The complaint was filed in November 1998--or one month after the senior Bell declared he was quitting the airwaves because of a "threatening terrible event." (He un-quit 16 days later.)

The lawsuit says substitute teacher Brian Lepley plied Art Bell IV, then 16, and another 18-year-old with marijuana and alcohol and engaged them in sexual acts, according to the newspaper. Lepley was convicted of sexual assault in May 1998. He is serving a life prison sentence.

More in the article

Riptor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 23, 2013

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

M3wThr33 posted:

Haven't decided on a plan yet. Might end up just using the Android app, but I've seen a shitload of 1-star reviews.

When the app was first released, I remember hundreds, maybe thousands of people giving it 1 star reviews with the sole reason being they weren't contractually able to stream Howard Stern. That changed in 2011 when they renewed his contract. I mostly use the app for On Demand listening. That's one of the best things about it, IMO. If you miss a show live, you can grab it from the archives.

That drat Satyr posted:

I really can't wait to hear Art's explanation for the repeated retiring-then-returning spats. It always seemed like there was a lot more going on and that there was definitely some hostility going on underneath everything else.

Talkers has shown C2CAM gets over 2,000,000 listeners weekly.

If Art and Premiere Networks have butted heads before, there's no way he won't with Sirius XM. Bubba the Love Sponge hated dealing with Clear Channel, but later said dealing with Sirius was even worse.

livingfruitvirus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 23, 2013

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The SXM app is still buggy and difficult to work with sometimes. When it works it's great, but if your cell drop signal for a few seconds you have to fight with it to start the stream up again. Also, they still haven't made the app compatible with portrait mode which is frustrating if you use your phone for both sat radio and GPS in the car.

Still, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial to try it out before subscribing. The trial gives you access to the web player, too, which is the way to go if you're listening through a PC. All you need is an email address to get started.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I recently listened to the interviews Art did with Graham Hancock (Fingerprints of the Gods guy) and found them really entertaining. I stress that I'm not a believer in his theories, but he was articulate and the two of them seemed to have a good rapport. What other interviewees are worth checking out - people who have crazy theories but a lucid way of relating them?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

What other interviewees are worth checking out - people who have crazy theories but a lucid way of relating them?

The aforementioned Bugs, the guy who reported having killed two Bigfoots a while back in West Texas, was awesome.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

M3wThr33 posted:

Holy crap, that's amazing. I used to be a die hard fan who listened virtually every night, or at least caught the replays of Art's shows. The last few years of George have been really bad, and totally took the show in a completely different direction.

Can't wait to hear Art wrangle callers like the master he is.

I am so pumped for this. Hopefully we get a cool Halloween episode like before, too.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 23, 2013

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Art seems to have given his only "public interview" to George Knapp.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/23244111/i-team-art-bell-makes-his-return-to-the-airwaves

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Funny... everyone I meet, even in person, agrees Noory is terrible, but there's not that much better to listen to, especially at that time.

And yeah, Wells needs to go die. It's the worst crap in the world. Is the Saturday night radio slot DEAD or something? Can't someone better replace him? Noory can be boring and a stooge, but John B Wells makes me want to drive my car off the road.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

quote:

I guess it is about time to straighten a few things out. I had no input or voice into the choice of George Noory as Host...none. He recently, after Dark Matter was announced dropped my name from mention then he says put it back because it was the right thing to do, nonsense, he did it so he could stop open line callers from being cut off because they kept trying to mention my new show. That is why he announced it. I wanted my name dropped from the show as well as my Saturday shows stopped to be blunt because I hated the direction the show had taken and no longer wanted to be associated with it. George is I am sure a nice guy BUT he has become lazy and does not pay attention. I am sorry to be so blunt but that's how I feel. I hope what little competition I can provide will cause him to up his game.

quote:

George Knapp is indeed my friend and one hell of a Host, if he was the full time guy I would stay Retired happy that Coast was in good hands, he is also a award winning TV Reporter on KLAS
SHOTS FIRED.

M3wThr33 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 30, 2013

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

M3wThr33 posted:

SHOTS FIRED.

Then he posted this message saying he's doing the new show because he loves radio? (rather than because C2C is in shambles)

Art Bell posted:

I have no vengeful feelings at all for George, he is simply what he is. I do feel sad at what the show has become. I do have a lot of issues with Premiere that are in the category of anger but not revenge. I am doing Dark Matter because all is well in my life and I love Radio, it's all I know, hope I can still do it!

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I'm guessing it's the difference between coming on for special occasions because he enjoys it versus lighting a fire under C2C's rear end because the world deserves better and he likes his job.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

quote:

Last night Coast did the most shameful thing since George has been in that seat, I am just sad for them.

I'm trying to make sense of this.

quote:

, the guest for the first half was David John Oates, of "Reverse Speech" fame. David did a reversal on ... I think either Art, or the guy that kidnapped his son (sorry, Art; it has been a while).

That is why he hasn't been on the show for a while, and why I was surprised to see that he was on tonight.

But I have to wonder if it was deliberate.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

fyo posted:

Then he posted this message saying he's doing the new show because he loves radio? (rather than because C2C is in shambles)

Recently it was also announced that the show's timeslot was being extended to 2 AM, so he will officially be competing with his old franchise, if only for one hour.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Was interviewed to work on Art's new show but didn't get the gig. :(

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
I just hope there will be a coast insider type thing for dark matter because being a slave to any air time is the worst. I just want to hear about the mothman on my ipod while I read the morning paper.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Guidos Python posted:

I just hope there will be a coast insider type thing for dark matter because being a slave to any air time is the worst. I just want to hear about the mothman on my ipod while I read the morning paper.

Do you have a SiriusXM online account? It should be available On-Demand there.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Guidos Python posted:

With an online subscription, you can access archived shows to listen to at any time. This includes the phone apps.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
ROSS! You're back too!!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Can't you cancel the subscription to Sirius XM through the internet? I want to subscribe, but the site states you can only stop the automatic renew by calling their phone number, and I'm a little wary of doing that since I live in another country.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Art said he will be bringing Ghost to Ghost with him. Obviously it won't be called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
Phantom to Phantom

• Locked thread