Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Can someone explain the alleged prank that's been going on? Last night during open lines some guy called in originally yammering about global warming but then mentioned something about Noory lying about not knowing people broke into a house and stole millions of dollars from a movie producer? I'm confused as poo poo.

Oh, and FYI, Ian is gone. Due to tinnitus he can't do the show anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/radios-art-bell-returning-sirius-xm-show

DUDES! DUDES! ART BELL IS BACK... IN A NEW SHOW ON SATELLITE RADIO!

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Haven't decided on a plan yet. Might end up just using the Android app, but I've seen a shitload of 1-star reviews.

On a more positive note, Art Bell's FB page has been quite active.
https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?fref=ts

quote:

As you all can see I am up late (in training for Dark Matter) as somebody mentioned on my page there is no reason both shows can not coexist. George does one type of show and I do another, both should benefit from competition, that's how the rest of the World works.

BTW, Dark Matter can be heard on your I phone or Android as well as your computer just ask Sirius/XM you do not have to buy a receiver. But do check out artbell.com for how cool the orbits are for their birds, true Extraterrestrial Radio.

quote:

Sirius/XM is giving me complete freedom, so I think instead of three hours I will most times do four hours which will then be repeated right away! I will start with favorite Guest's then climb new mountains after a couple of Weeks. I must keep in mind that there 26 million there most who have never heard of the show. This is going to be fun!

quote:

Dark Matter will NOT be a Political show, I will leave that to everybody else. Dark Matter will be EVERYTHING else. Politics is simply no longer relevant to anything important in my life. As for competition, it makes everybody better. This is going to be fun!

quote:

I want to thank all of you for the many messages that never in a zillion Years I could answer. There is not much I
can say now. However some Months ago I asked Premiere to stop my Saturday replay, I thought they had run their
course and I wanted them gone for reasons I will not state here. They refused and continue to this day for reasons
I still don't understand, so thank Premiere for my new show. I also want to thank George for signing his new LONG
term contract. Without those two things I would not be going back on air. I would only add that if Premiere is going
to continue my Saturday show, please tag it at the end with.."for new shows, please tune to Sirius/XM 104".

With regard to George talking about my new show last night, whatever his motives were, he took the high
ground and can now pick up open lines without undue fear, good move and thanks for the plug.

George has a good trait, he is a nice guy. I would like to dispel the notion however that I picked him for the show, I did not.
The bone I have to pick is with Premiere and it goes well beyond Saturday replays, I have been called a serial Retiree
on the Web and it annoys me because the rest of the story has yet to be told. I may well tell it soon and I think you will
all be quite shocked.

Just randomly bumped his show from 3 to 4 hours. Explained there won't be ANY politics. And while he disagrees with the direction that Noory took the show, it was neither of their choices to have him take over.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Funny... everyone I meet, even in person, agrees Noory is terrible, but there's not that much better to listen to, especially at that time.

And yeah, Wells needs to go die. It's the worst crap in the world. Is the Saturday night radio slot DEAD or something? Can't someone better replace him? Noory can be boring and a stooge, but John B Wells makes me want to drive my car off the road.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

quote:

I guess it is about time to straighten a few things out. I had no input or voice into the choice of George Noory as Host...none. He recently, after Dark Matter was announced dropped my name from mention then he says put it back because it was the right thing to do, nonsense, he did it so he could stop open line callers from being cut off because they kept trying to mention my new show. That is why he announced it. I wanted my name dropped from the show as well as my Saturday shows stopped to be blunt because I hated the direction the show had taken and no longer wanted to be associated with it. George is I am sure a nice guy BUT he has become lazy and does not pay attention. I am sorry to be so blunt but that's how I feel. I hope what little competition I can provide will cause him to up his game.

quote:

George Knapp is indeed my friend and one hell of a Host, if he was the full time guy I would stay Retired happy that Coast was in good hands, he is also a award winning TV Reporter on KLAS
SHOTS FIRED.

M3wThr33 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 30, 2013

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I'm guessing it's the difference between coming on for special occasions because he enjoys it versus lighting a fire under C2C's rear end because the world deserves better and he likes his job.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

quote:

Last night Coast did the most shameful thing since George has been in that seat, I am just sad for them.

I'm trying to make sense of this.

quote:

, the guest for the first half was David John Oates, of "Reverse Speech" fame. David did a reversal on ... I think either Art, or the guy that kidnapped his son (sorry, Art; it has been a while).

That is why he hasn't been on the show for a while, and why I was surprised to see that he was on tonight.

But I have to wonder if it was deliberate.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Awesome, so glad to have this back.

Also, I am super happy with SiriusXM overall. Internet + car satellite for $18/mo is worth it to me. No question. So much content.

So... uh... do we make a new Dark Matter thread?

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

So what does everyone think of the new show so far? I'm digging it. I was never around for the Art Bell days when I was introduced to Coast, (i was like 14 when Art retired), and I can tell why people prefer him. He's much more engaging with his guests.

Yeah. He actually asks questions and gives it a purpose.

Noory just sort of lets the guy go on and on and asks the typical Late show (Leno/Letterman) bullshit questions of "Oh! That's so interesting!"

I also love how much Art has been saying what's been going on behind the scenes. Like his demand when he returned from retirement the first time. His demand: cut 4 minutes of commercials each hour. And they did. Until he retired again.
It's loving depressing when you do the math of how much commercials take up a standard radio show nowadays. Easily 30%. 3 hours becomes just over 2 hours once cut.

Whereas on SiriusXM, Dark Matter is 3 hours, 29 minutes once they strip commercials. AND his shows are available for pretty much FOREVER after airing for free. No bullshit Insider stuff. Just listen.

I think that's, what, 5 years? And it was 365 days a few days ago, so he's INCREASING IT.
He also said SiriusXM bumped up his bandwidth. Not sure how that works, though. Part of me thinks another station got poo poo on for that. (BPM already is loving nasty)

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I think the worst is the comeback tease between commercials where it changes between local commercials and C2C's own commercials.

Also, listening to tonight's episode now with Hoagland. Man, Art is REALLY criticizing this guy. I love it. I miss this so much.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

I think it's also the content of the commercials, Coast's commercials want to make me rip my hair out the 10000th time I've heard them. Also, yeah, I've heard Richard C Hoagland a billion times with Noory, but this was totally amazing because Bell did not pull ANY punches as to contesting some of his more retarded claims.

But that's the fun of it.

If you listened, Hoagland got texted by Noory during the show. Because Hoagland and Bell were arguing, as they do AND SHOULD, Noory was sending poo poo like "I hear Art is giving you a tough time." Then Hoagland and Bell proceeded to keep mentioning this is what you DO on a TALK SHOW. As opposed to letting one person just ramble on and on.

So Noory is listening, or at least someone is telling him LIVE what's going on.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

livingfruitvirus posted:

Looks like Premiere Radio still doesn't want to discontinue Somewhere in Time on Saturdays, as tonight they played a show from 2000 with Katia Romanoff and Lauri Loewenberg.

Call me crazy, but where are those broadcast? Because Saturday nights have always seemed to be John B. Wells, at least on KFI AM 640 and other stations.

I see mention of those Somewhere in Times. Art Bell actually mentioned on his FB page he wanted those stopped, requested it and Premiere ignored the requests, multiple times.

Do enough people subscribe to Coast Insider to actually make this worth mentioning?

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Normally I'd say the GBS one since it was bigger, but since GBS is a loving poo poo show right now, it'd be ruined by morons.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I like the one idea right now in GBS having threads from other forums linked to it. We aren't the only ones that end up with dupes.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

Ooh, that's a great idea. I'll contact a mod and see what we can get done.

Yeah. It's more of a feature that would need to be added. Basically turn GBS into a frontpage like Reddit.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

livingfruitvirus posted:

Premiere has fired John B. Wells from Coast to Coast AM. Art Bell posted this article on his Facebook asking people to give it a read.

http://thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/02/06/john-b-wells-fired-for-being-too-popular-and-truthful-an-exclusive-interview/

"What? How did the thread get bumped?"

BEST NEWS EVER.

quote:

John B. Wells Fired for Being Too Popular
HAHAHAHAHHA. Oh God. This actually just made Coast to Coast a ton more listenable.

And my Sirius 6-month trial ends March 3rd. I'm going to keep paying full price for Satellite+Internet. I like it and the huge amount of time shifting allowed.

M3wThr33 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2014

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

ThePDW posted:

Say what you want, but he's still a better interviewer than Snoory.

I'd rather fall asleep at the wheel than be bummed out by Doom-n-Gloom.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I re-upped to SiriusXM for a full year after my 6 month trial ended.

Listening to some shows, there are some issues with the management, but they pale in comparison to all other radio stations. They're 100% free to speak their mind. There's nowhere else they'd rather go.

For Art to get pissed off and leave, he had to be hugely entitled. But, that is what happened. He was entitled and whined about things that don't matter (People downloading the show) and things that needed time to improve (Quality of callers).

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Amish posted:

Ugh, I only end up listening to Coast to Coast about once a month when I'm up super late, but holy hell do I always regret it when I do.

George Noory agrees with caller that trading of prisoners is an impeachable offense.

It's been stated time and time again in these interviews about the show that Noory's approach is to make all guests feel like their opinion is valid.

He's never criticized somebody. He makes NPR look like hard hitting assholes.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Saturday will be 8 months since Bell took the ball and went home.

Meanwhile, SiriusXM still has C2C in that timeslot and Art Bell's floundering Dark Matter network is still a joke.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Tomorrow is the 1-year anniversary of the debut of Art Bell's Dark Matter...

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Funny, about the bumper music.

So many other shows are quick about bumper music, but something about C2C people let it run just a tad longer, to enjoy it just a little bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

We were listening to Coast to Coast a few nights ago. My wife doesn't listen much, but the numbers lady was on.

My wife said 'She's been on before... why do they have the same guests?'

We got into a discussion about how some guests come back with new info and other things, but it's not that way on C2C. It's really feels like it's just a rotating cast of boring guests. It's not even Noory not holding my interest, but the guests aren't wacky enough anymore, either.

When neither the guests NOR the host are interesting, what is?

Is C2C still the top rated overnight show? How much longer can it go? Whenever Noory gives up the mic (be it retirement or death) who takes over? Would the format change? Would the new host have the power to do it?

• Locked thread