Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Anyone looking for older Art Bell C2C can also find stuff on archive.org

For a collection of shows and segments: http://archive.org/details/ArtBell-CoastToCoastAmClassicShows

Individual shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22The+Divine+Eye%22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Interstellar Owl posted:

So did anything come of that thing on Art Bell's webpage?

He said on his Twitter that his website "means exactly what you think it does." On Sunday he tweeted that he can't really elaborate on that.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Boinks posted:

At least it was nice to hear Art again, although I think part of it was the bumper music too.

I sometimes just listen to his opening, since it is so well done.

Here it is (plus the whole rest of an episode) if you wanna take a ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIaxfrEcFaw

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

M3wThr33 posted:

Is C2C still the top rated overnight show?

Probably, but it isn't much of a crown. A lot of other stations will either be playing a rerun of something from earlier in the day and those that don't probably have some sort of show dedicated to truckers.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Yeah, stations that would want to air the type of thing that Bell would do already have Coast to Coast and are likely locked in for a while on their contracts. And even once that contract expired, most program directors would see one show about ghosts as being as good as any other, so there would be little incentive to switch.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

shoplifter posted:

Granted, Art's a pretty stubborn guy and they had to continue running the show while he sorted out health and personal issues, but if one were to believe some of the things out there (some of which Art discussed on his first show back with Dark Matter, if you can find an MP3 of it) I'd probably be pretty bitter at ClearChannel/Premiere as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIaxfrEcFaw for the episode in question.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommended Bell clips I should hear?

Guy with a friend named "Bird-dog" goes out and shoots two Bigfoots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4sQePBTMAU

Guy in a plane flies into Area 51 airspace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ASP3aKVj4

Two hours of shadow people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omtRsUqMN6c

Three hours with Dr. Malachai Martin (exorcism guy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLQzBZi5G8

First Dark Matter that fills in some Art Bell backgrounder in the first 10 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIaxfrEcFaw

Not Art Bell, but your friend and mine, Gordon Freeman, calls into Coast to Coast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMATUkJMAxo

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

My guess at this point is that he just doesn't want to do it, but he either feels like he should, or is bored and listless or feels time hanging over him, and it's just not enough to push him over the edge. If anyone, anyone wanted to broadcast anything at this point, no matter how young or old, they could use anything from tin cans on strings, to microcassette recorders, to 8 year old cellphones, to HAM radios recorded on 8-track, to old laptops, to a baseline 2007 Dell, to an iPad, to a wireless security camera, to a full-on studio to record something, and share it, if they wanted to. If they wanted to.

Or, as I thought earlier, he's such a radio guy that he can only think in terms of 40+ year old ideas of broadcasting, and it's either that, or nothing.

He (likely) could over come the technical issues, it's the licensing of the music that's holding him up.

It's common practice (though wrong) for podcasts to use whatever they want to and they largely get away with it because they are just too small to matter. Art Bell is too big to fly under the radar but isn't quite big enough to get the license, and it wouldn't be cheap since the groups that charge for this charge well, too.

[url="http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/10/29/ascap-bmi-sesac-force-local-coffee-shop-shut-live-music"]Here's an article[=url] about a small coffee house in a town of less than 20-thousand that was paying more than two grand for music licensing. Given what his listenership is maybe going to be like, Art would be looking into the five figures range.

Going without really isn't an option, there is that middle ground of listener-created songs, maybe he goes that way, maybe not. I don't think he will because most of those people aren't all that good at making music, because if they were, their stuff would be covered under one of the licensing bodies already.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
That is well worth a read. Interesting that he seems to talk about doing a dry run show on the 19th.

Every Friday is set to be open callers.

Graham Hancock is first guest, a make good from him being the guy bumped when the XM show ended.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

gret posted:

I assume it's just like the C2C stream link files. It's just the show with the commercials and bumper music cut out.

Yeah, it is pretty heavily cut. First hour from last night is trimmed to 41 minutes. I don't really care to have the commercials, but it would be nice if the news was intact consider it is them producing it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I am a little disappointed (though perhaps not surprised) that there isn't enough content for a new "news" cast every hour of every day.

I'm also going to guess that they don't have the rights to podcast the audio they get for that segment, only broadcast, so that's probably why the official podcast is without.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
While I appreciate that you like to collect radio waves and listen to the results, why don't you just listen to the online stream if you want to hear it that bad?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Prickly Pete posted:

If I had the option I'd listen on shortwave every time as well, hands down. Hard to explain if you arent into radio I guess.

I'm studying for my general license so I can finally try to hear him hamming during the day.

I'm into radio so much that I depend on people collecting those signals to keep paying my mortgage, but still, sometimes you just gotta listen.

No dice when I floated the idea of carrying MiTD on my station, which is too bad because even that snoozer of a guest last night is way more entertaining than the overnight guy here.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Dr. Benway posted:

Didn't really commit any of the shows names to memory. They're all related to paranormal weirdness. One guy made a comment along the lines that Art took the best time slot. Then two guys complaining that Art got three hours and they only get one. It was sad.

I caught a bit of one of the other shows where the host introduced his guest by saying he was pretty excited to talk to the guy, even though he usually only gets that excited for someone with boobs. There were several other cringe-worthy elements to that show too. I think it was Paranormal Filler, which doesn't have a show archive anywhere. That's probably a good way to have a podcast, not make it available anywhere.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It looks like he is willing to let any number of stations sign up, they just have to deal with not having any advertising (or perhaps a small amount of advertising if there weren't enough network ads) of their own to sell during the Art Bell hours. From a station's perspective, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do that because, while yes, you will have listeners, you can't sell that fact to your advertisers because there isn't anything available to sell them. There is only so much value to a spot running towards or immediately after the show with all the listeners.

His compromise to them is to let them run the show, on what would essentially be a bit of a delay. They could effectively pause his stream to run a local ad break after the network ad break then resume with the show. So as the show went along, it would be increasingly delayed so it would end at 0330 or whatever instead of 0300.

This would be a horrible business decision if he was starting out and building an audience, but the man is 70, he's just in it for the personal enjoyment he gets out of it. So as long as he isn't losing his shirt and continuing to enjoy the experience, we will keep getting new episodes. And not falling on rebar I guess, that can take a bit out of a guy. But if he either starts bleeding money or not getting the guests (and to some degree callers) to keep it interesting, then he'll shut it down.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Inveigle posted:

A radio station couldn't just insert ad slots and let the show get more delayed as it aired? They could make the show 3.5 hours long, with 30 min. worth of paid advertisement slots added? Seems like Art would agree to that, as long as the station ran all of the content from his stream.

Yeah, that is what I meant, I just wrote it out of order. I'll edit it to make sense (I hope).

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Truth or Trash tonight! Haven't heard this in years.

Apparently many of the callers aren't all that familiar with it either, which explains some of the early uneasiness.

Anyway, for anyone listening and wondering how they would solve that cat in the tree problem in Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Nr31Lv6H8

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I heard about half, there wasn't really anything excessive about 9/11, or really much at all.

The twist thing was he was allowing for debates, the first of which was a guy who was convinced the 23rd was going to be the end of humanity vs someone who isn't a basketcase.

It was a good show, I'll be sure to catch the other half.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
That wasn't much of an announcement, from a listener's perspective.

The facebook post said "It's time to Take Back the Night."

That's kind of already a thing.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
To be fair, I think Lowtax did close the office and I think I saw him post that revenues are way down.

Anyway, they seem pretty committed to the whole take back the night slogan. Here's the press kit: http://cdn5.darkmatternews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/artbell-PR1-2015.pdf

Makes me wonder if they just didn't know or just didn't care.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I heard about it in the late 90's but apparently it has been a thing since the mid 70's.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Has Art said if he will be doing the ghost story thing around Halloween again?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
What is a little bit weird about that was there was someone on the Planet X to wipe out the world on the 23rd debate episode who said Art would have trouble staying on the air that day.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
She recycles worse than Leo though, I am certain I heard the same story in the first and second news break last night.

Leo also wasn't too concerned with accuracy. There was something that happened near to where I am back in February involving a frozen lake that he reported on in August as happening "last week".

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Edit: oddly enough, this prompted me to look for some quality desktop speakers, given how Art is always on about quality audio.

I find the good audio quality jarring, so I listen on the tiny mono speaker on my smartphone.

That doesn't even go far enough for a co-worker, he downloads podcasts then runs them through a filter in Audition to make it sound like AM radio.

Art Bell is best experienced low-fi, it really adds something to the whole experience to have the show crackling though a crappy speaker.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'd like to make it to Richard's show but I find myself often falling asleep before Art's three hours are over. Apparently RCH is getting a lot of troll callers? That is what some other Dark Matter Network program was saying.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Keep in mind that he is 70 years old and people that age aren't likely to be terribly flexible in their opinions on things and they really reflect the mood of the era in which they were raised.

I have heard him take a rather dim view of the freemen on the land though.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
A portion of the people that call in to this show are mentally ill to the point of having a wild hallucinations about being impregnated by bigfoot, so why is the prevailing opinion that the gunman is part of some conspiracy theory that someone wants Art off the air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's Art code for 'found the guy, don't know where to bury him yet, and then cover it all up.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn60YWO218k

• Locked thread