Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

This game is loving amazing and I cannot wait to see how people who haven't seen the whole of it react to everything. This is going to be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Goddamn that first boss was amazing, I had the same reactions than Ironicus, I'll have to buy this when it's released on PC!

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
Remember when people got SO MAD when Snake backflipped over one missile? I like this game so much better, it's so silly and wonderful.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Everything about the prologue is perfect and makes the player feel like such a badass. I like to think running down the clock tower is a nod towards Bayonetta.

Also, MG Ray, for the most part, is an easy boss, but you can shave quite a bit of time off by making only one slice when you go into Blade Mode. You tear apart the armor piece all the same. You just get to choose between better time and catharsis.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man, Ironicus' reactions are going to make this LP. He's going to love the poo poo out of this game. :allears:

Also, the soundtrack is indeed unironically loving awesome. If you weren't :rock:ing out at "RULES OF NATUUUUUUUUUUURE!!!" then I don't think you have a soul.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I have my head leaning on my hand, my mouth just open. And I passed on this game for Bioshock Infinite.

I have to go to a Gamestop first thing tomorrow, this game looks too fun to pass up.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Oh man is this ever gonna be good. I've seen maybe the first 3 or 4 hours of it and I'm looking forward to all the wacky ridiculous shenanigans.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013
I remember playing the demo when I got Zone of the Enders HD. It was pretty loving sweet. Almost like a crazy over the top action anime in a game. I haven't gotten the full game cause I have no money. This LP is going to great!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

This is one of the best game I've ever bought before and I can say that even after paying full price for it. I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to everything that happens later.

Semimythic
Oct 10, 2012
One video in and Chip has already made me feel like I completely suck at this game.

Oh well. Been looking forward to this LP, and so far things are looking good. Can't wait for Ironicus' reactions to some the later stuff!

Slayer0
Jan 14, 2012

YOUR SHINING BOY

Iserlohn posted:

Everything about the prologue is perfect and makes the player feel like such a badass. I like to think running down the clock tower is a nod towards Bayonetta.

Also, MG Ray, for the most part, is an easy boss, but you can shave quite a bit of time off by making only one slice when you go into Blade Mode. You tear apart the armor piece all the same. You just get to choose between better time and catharsis.

On a first playthrough you are pretty much always trying to stay in Blade Mode as long as possible during those chances because how many parts can I cut this guy up into? These are the important goals to aim for.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

QuetzaDrake posted:

Oh man is this ever gonna be good. I've seen maybe the first 3 or 4 hours of it and I'm looking forward to all the wacky ridiculous shenanigans.

Probably less since this game is really short. You can finish your first playthrough with around 4 and a half hours game time on the clock.

Really glad someone jumped on this for an LP. It's the kind of completely insane crazy game that is just as fun to watch as it is to play. Sure, it has some problems (like the camera) but a lot of the problems can be ignored just to see what happens next. Not to mention it is refreshing to see Platinum still making good games after Anarchy Reigns was such a dropout.

Also seconding how great Ironicus' reactions were to everything.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011
Surprised no one has posted it yet, but the first time you see Sam in the opening cutscene got a great tribute to it soon after the game's release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4B50TTQhX4

As Chip mentioned though, watching anything on Youtube for this game will invariably spoil something if you look at related videos, so just avoid those and the comments to be safe.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I feel somehow grateful that Raiden pumps his arms while in "Ninja Run" mode instead of shoving them straight back for no reason. Your body wants to pump your arms because it's more efficient! That's why speed walkers do that even though they really aren't going that fast and it looks kinda silly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The original pitch for this game was "Make a game that Otacon would play forever while not being creepy" and it was a rip roaring success based on the prologue alone.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So is red cyborg blood just a design choice instead of the white blood from mgs4 or is there some like lore where its a newer improved version?

TheRealShifty
May 2, 2013
Those first few videos were top-tier, very much looking forward to this LP

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love that the Cyborg Samurai with the blood red katana is named Sam. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

I love that the Cyborg Samurai with the blood red katana is named Sam. :allears:

Samuel
Raiden

What do those first letters of both names together make up?

Samurai

EDIT: Oh and I'm nthing the Ironicus reactions, they're going to make the LP even better. Also Chip just shouting "gently caress IT, PARRY!" was hilarious.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 19, 2013

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Nothing quite like Ironicus squealing like a teenage girl. The LP's already awesome.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

So is red cyborg blood just a design choice instead of the white blood from mgs4 or is there some like lore where its a newer improved version?

They actually explain this later on. Its a new improved version.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Hot drat, this is going to be a wild ride. Glad to be here for it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So is there a music track in this game that isn't amazing? Because it sounds like there isn't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bobjr posted:

So is there a music track in this game that isn't amazing? Because it sounds like there isn't.

The soundtrack is so goddamn good. I wish I could link some tracks that I like, but a lot of them are tied to bosses and would be spoilers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bobjr posted:

I've been listening to it exclusively in my car for these past 3 months, so yes, yes it is. If it weren't for this LP, I wouldn't have known it had been for 3 months, either.

Lookin' forward to this so hard.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.
Ah, Revengeance... I rented this game a few months ago; from everything I heard about it, I knew I needed to experience the game for myself. But I'm just awful at these kinds of games so I opted for the Literally A Baby difficulty. It's nice to see it being played by someone who actually has a good grasp on the mechanics. There isn't a single update that I'm not looking forward to; this game is pretty crazy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I've been listening to it exclusively in my car for these past 3 months, so yes, yes it is.

So it's not just me then. Good to hear.

So I watched my friend stream it a while ago, when it came out. I was in university when it came out, so I promised myself to get it when I got home.

I forgot about that promise.

Now, watching Chip kick everything's rear end and the game totally rocking EVERYTHING, I kind of have the burning desire to get this game again. Because I'm also nthing that Ironicus's reactions are matching mine.

And, man, is it just me, or does Sam have one hell of a smile? It's so awesome. i don't know why I like it so much. He just has a great smile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

And, man, is it just me, or does Sam have one hell of a smile? It's so awesome. i don't know why I like it so much. He just has a great smile.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

toddy. posted:

Probably less since this game is really short. You can finish your first playthrough with around 4 and a half hours game time on the clock.

Well still the person who played it sucked so it took them about twice the time, so I should've rather said I saw half the game. Also they got zero of the collectibles so I had no idea this game was Uncharted levels of dickishness on hiding those.

In any case having now watched the episodes, hearing Chip and Ironicus's commentary is like delicious icing on an already-delicious cake that kicks you in the face.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So the way you describe the combat in the game (outside of the bosses) makes it sound a lot like the Batman: Arkahm Asylum games. Is that an apt comparison? Because goddamn I loved how the combat in those games worked.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Raiden's light attacks with the sword let you move between enemies pretty similarly to the way Batman's punches work in the Arkham games, but that's the only thing Rising's combat system shares with it. The combat you see in this prologue chapter isn't entirely representative of the actual game because you don't have access to several mechanics yet. Plus, the cyborgs you fight in the prologue are super weak and not very aggressive. They have 20% less health than the basic cyborgs you fight for the rest of the game and are missing a couple of attacks. I guess the closest comparison I can make for Rising's combat is that it's a mix of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I will never be able to parry in a video game again without hearing "gently caress it, parry it!". Thank you for displaying the insanity that (if the demo is anything to go by) I'm unable to handle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

I guess the closest comparison I can make for Rising's combat is that it's a mix of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.

I hadn't thought of this comparison before, but I like it. The game feels a lot like it's taking the pace and handling of Bayonetta or vintage Devil May Cry and putting it to the...'feel', for lack of a better term of Ninja Gaiden, along with its massive enthusiasm for dismemberment.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 19, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This game is loving awesome, you are loving awesome, this is gonna be great. Thank you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Platinum really knows what they're doing when it comes to hack and slash, as this and Bayonetta both show. The parry system probably sounds really weird but like Chip said it's very fluid? It's hard to describe, but you really get into a rhythm with it and parrying like 8 attacks in a row really starts to drain on you which is reasonable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, using the same button for offense and defense sounds weird but in practice it works really well, especially since the timing on the button push and the tolerance on pushing the right direction on the stick are both very lenient.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell yes. This game was one of the first of its type I ever played and it convinced me I like this kind of game; it'll be awesome to see someone who's way better than me make it look even cooler.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The world's greatest poo poo-eating grin right here, my god.

I haven't actually played the DLC for this game yet, I should probably get on that before the LP gets there.

Deathspeak
Jan 14, 2013
Holy poo poo, this game looks like it's just built around doing a bunch of high octane bullshit and being an absolute blast... Why have I not actively looked into it more? I can't wait to see what else Revengeance has up its robo-sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Deathspeak posted:

Holy poo poo, this game looks like it's just built around doing a bunch of high octane bullshit and being an absolute blast... Why have I not actively looked into it more? I can't wait to see what else Revengeance has up its robo-sleeves.

Basically the entire game is just about doing high-octane poo poo fueled by a buttrock soundtrack and filled with lots of sliced-up chunks of robots.

• Locked thread