Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is

Hartnell is the First Doctor.

Like how Sean IS his version of James Bond.

Or Val Kilmer Batman and George Clooney Batman are not the same kind of Batman.

With the Doctor, that's important, because that's why they're recast as new characters. It's not ghoulish, it just misses the point. Bradely plays his Doctor very differently than Hartnell, but he's supposed to be the same Doctor. But you can't expect him to just play Hartnell's Doctor that would be unfair to him as an actor.

It's almost like the role of the Doctor is a unique thing in acting and history, and shouldn't be devalued by replacing the actors once the original has passed away. Instead, just retire the character and don't loving touch them again unless you can spin something like Day of the Doctor with the old footage.

If Bradely was some future regeneration of the Doctor like Tom Baker as the Curator, I would be 100% on board with this. But no, he's being a character that he shouldn't be.

The First Doctor is William Hartnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
What if David Bradley will actually be playing the Abbot of Amboise

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thexerox123 posted:

Hey, guess what, Doctor Who is fictional no matter what context people are performing him in.

My god you've opened my eyes

(The Doctor is explicitly not fictional in universe in The Mind Robber, by the way)

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

holy christ

Just to add, bloody hellfire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HERAK posted:

Just to add, bloody hellfire.

Oh, my sainted aunt!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Counterpoint: hey why not. Seems like they're going well out of their way to highlight that this is a different actor. Not like they're Crispin Glovering it.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Especially after fifty years, with the actor dead for forty-ish of them.

I think it's okay for the First Doctor to enter Sherlock Holmes/Miss Marple territory at this point, with multiple portrayals, each unique to the actor. It gets much fuzzier when the actors are still around and could play the role with little/no dissonance (as much for labor equity reasons as anything), but there are precedents for changing actors for contract reasons, say, and it working fine.

I'd love to know the various ex-Doctor actors' opinions on someone else David Bradley-ing "their" Doctor. They probably have a much more interesting perspective on this than I do.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Can't wait for The Fourteen Doctors

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Burkion posted:

It's almost like the role of the Doctor is a unique thing in acting and history, and shouldn't be devalued by replacing the actors once the original has passed away.

But no, he's being a character that he shouldn't be.

I know Doctor Who fandom is kinda the lowest rung on the slimy, diseased ladder that is fandom, but that's some crazy crap right there. Unique? Shouldn't be?

Doctor Who is not sacrosanct and certainly not unique.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mortanis posted:

I know Doctor Who fandom is kinda the lowest rung on the slimy, diseased ladder that is fandom

Let me tell you about Supernatural…

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortanis posted:

I know Doctor Who fandom is kinda the lowest rung on the slimy, diseased ladder that is fandom, but that's some crazy crap right there. Unique? Shouldn't be?

Doctor Who is not sacrosanct and certainly not unique.

So you're just going to miss the point of what I was trying to say entirely in favor of insults, good to know.

Let me put it this way, not that you'll care. If some one was going to play Adam West Batman, that wasn't Adam West, in some big movie- I'd have just as much of a problem with that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

So you're just going to miss the point of what I was trying to say entirely in favor of insults, good to know.

Let me put it this way, not that you'll care. If some one was going to play Adam West Batman, that wasn't Adam West, in some big movie- I'd have just as much of a problem with that.

This is kind of what I'm saying, like this isn't recasting James Bond, it's recasting "Sean Connery as James Bond." It's not recasting Batman, it's recasting "Val Kilmer as Batman." It'd be like if they'd asked Chris Pine to "do William Shatner."

What Burkion means, I think, when he says "unique" is that, really, the "First Doctor" is not a character, even though we like to think of him as one, something we don't really do with other media. Nobody calls Sean Connery "the First Bond," so nobody would ever think of recasting "Connery Bond." The Doctor is a character; the "First Doctor" is our shorthand for saying it's William Hartnell's portrayal of that character.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Let's see how many different ways Bicyclops can repeat the same dumb thing in different phrasings.

Edit: I do apologize for this in retrospect, I got frustrated with the argument as a whole and took it out on Bicyclops.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 25, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thexerox123 posted:

Let's see how many different ways Bicyclops can repeat the same dumb thing in different phrasings.

Let's see how many times you can remind us all that you're so incredibly superior for having a different opinion

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

"Let us remind ourselves that David Bradley is the First Doctor whether we like it or not."
Proceeds to choke you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Let's see how many times you can remind us all that you're so incredibly superior for having a different opinion

No, I'm just tired of an argument that comes back to the exact same point over and over and over again. Yes, we get it, it's Hartnell's Doctor. Other people just don't care. As Gaz-L expressed a page ago.

It's no different from people complaining about the Doctor changing to a woman because he's always been a man. Saying the same point in different ways won't make a difference.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This is kind of what I'm saying, like this isn't recasting James Bond, it's recasting "Sean Connery as James Bond." It's not recasting Batman, it's recasting "Val Kilmer as Batman." It'd be like if they'd asked Chris Pine to "do William Shatner."

Here's why none of those comparisons work, though.... Sean Connery as James Bond never had a crossover episode with the other James Bonds. He is not established in-universe as a separate character who could show up at any time via time travel. Same with Batman.

(It probably could work in Star Trek, and all of those characters already ARE playing those original portrayals, despite many of the cast still being alive. Chris Pine IS doing William Shatner just as much as David Bradley is doing Hartnell. And if you don't think that Karl Urban is doing a DeForrest Kelley portrayal, I don't know what to say.)

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

There's actually an argument about someone playing a Doctor Who and it isn't about Jodie Whittaker? I'm so mad I've put my foot through my iPhone screen and sent Lowtax the bill!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Now that I think about it, if someone made a movie that was a crossover between the different James Bonds and tried to explain the different versions... I would be so down to watch that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Here's why none of those comparisons work, though.... Sean Connery as James Bond never had a crossover episode with the other James Bonds. He is not established in-universe as a separate character who could show up at any time via time travel. Same with Batman.

(It probably could work in Star Trek, and all of those characters already ARE playing those original portrayals, despite many of the cast still being alive. Chris Pine IS doing William Shatner just as much as David Bradley is doing Hartnell. And if you don't think that Karl Urban is doing a DeForrest Kelley portrayal, I don't know what to say.)

I'd actually disagree about Pine (until Beyond, it felt like he was doing the caricature that cultural osmosis would have you BELIEVE Kirk was as played by Shatner), but Urban is absolutely doing Kelley. And I think Quinto thinks he's doing Nimoy, but it doesn't always read.

But Bond or Batman are probably the closest analogues we have where the actor's portrayal makes the character substantially different enough to be distinct. Roger Moore Bond and Timothy Dalton Bond and Pierce Brosnan Bond are so different as to be nigh unrecognisable from one another and if the franchise was more compatible with the notion of doing that kind of crossover, you can bet it would've happened by now. Hell, I swear they intended the groundskeeper from Skyfall to be Connery. (And if WB could get away with it, they absolutely would do Affleck and Bale in Batman Vs Batman)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'd actually disagree about Pine (until Beyond, it felt like he was doing the caricature that cultural osmosis would have you BELIEVE Kirk was as played by Shatner), but Urban is absolutely doing Kelley. And I think Quinto thinks he's doing Nimoy, but it doesn't always read.

Oh no, I agree that they're not, like, impersonations of the roles, but neither is David Bradley's portrayal, from what we've seen. In both cases they seem to be taking the source material and making it somewhat their own.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 25, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

But Bond or Batman are probably the closest analogues we have where the actor's portrayal makes the character substantially different enough to be distinct. Roger Moore Bond and Timothy Dalton Bond and Pierce Brosnan Bond are so different as to be nigh unrecognisable from one another and if the franchise was more compatible with the notion of doing that kind of crossover, you can bet it would've happened by now. Hell, I swear they intended the groundskeeper from Skyfall to be Connery. (And if WB could get away with it, they absolutely would do Affleck and Bale in Batman Vs Batman)

Yeah, as much as I like Skyfall, it would have been such an awesome ending to have Skyfall (the place) not be his childhood home, but a kind of retirement home for ex spies. And go loving crazy, have Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan all be there. Instead they went the other direction, killing the "many Bonds" theory.

Note this would have actually been a pretty bad idea for the franchise. But I like watching crazy poo poo go down.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

that would have been a really bad ending for skyfall

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Looke posted:

that would have been a really bad ending for skyfall

I know, it's good no one lets me write movies.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
New portrayals of past Doctors onscreen makes for a tricky subject but I tend to come down in favor of the idea - it's only a question of execution.

The idea of the Twelfth Doctor and the First meeting one another on the brink of their respective regenerations (at the hands of the Cybermen) is incredibly strong. It's a fantastic hook. But to say "we can never recast Hartnell's Doctor" is to confine that story concept to print mediums - to deny it textual primacy, relegate it to spin-off material like Circular Time - Winter, and in doing so grossly reduce its potential audience.

Also David Bradley rules, so I have a good feeling about the execution side of things.

Now maybe when I'm old and graying and Cbakes is long beyond this world and some rando half my age is cast to wear the Coat for Season 87, I might feel differently. Who knows?

Who Nose.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
the 13th doctor shouldve been an ood and no one can convince me otherwise

but a lady ood

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

the 13th doctor shouldve been an ood and no one can convince me otherwise

but a lady ood

See, now this is an opinion! Why can't you all be more like Riptor?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I have other thoughts too. For example the tardis should also be an ood.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ood companion. A sonic Ood. All Ood soundtrack. Oodles of Oods, all the way down.

thexerox123 posted:

Now that I think about it, if someone made a movie that was a crossover between the different James Bonds and tried to explain the different versions... I would be so down to watch that.

I think it would be pretty bad, if only because Roger Moore is dead and Sean Connery is retired. They could get people to do facsimiles, but so much of the appeal is the charisma those actors had with their suave disdain.

It might be worth it just to have a scene where George Lazenby opens his mouth to try to argue that he wasn't that bad, and history has been kinder to him than the other Bonds, only for him to get immediately interrupted and never be in the movie again.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, would it be more controversial if the new Doctor was Irish?

I mean, not just an Irish actor, but a Catholic one using his native accent.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Just don't recast the Ood-voicebox. That would be ghastly and disrespectful.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Ood companion. A sonic Ood. All Ood soundtrack. Oodles of Oods, all the way down.

Check your lease man! Because you're living in Ood City

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Crossover movie revealing that James Bond is a series of future regenerations for the Doctor. Pierce Brosnan plays Roger Moore Bond. John Barrowman plays Jack Harkness playing Pierce Brosnan Bond. Capaldi and Smith play Smith and Capaldi. Maggie Smith plays Sean Connery.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Y'know, I withdraw my comment. The more I think about it, it's pretty silly to play "what about x" with regards to the Doctor. If the new one is a woman, whatever. They should just get someone appropriate for the role.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sean Connery in full ood prosthesis as another Sean Connery.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Squizzle posted:

Sean Connery in full ood prosthesis as another Sean Connery.

It's just Sean Connery's all the way down.

Or Anthony Hopkins as Michael Caine as the Doctor.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon as Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor as Ramón Salamander

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SimonCat posted:

So, would it be more controversial if the new Doctor was Irish?

I mean, not just an Irish actor, but a Catholic one using his native accent.
Only if the Master is a Protestant from Northern Ireland.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

"Welcome to the new leader of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Miss Saxon of the DUP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

So that's Colm Meaney as the Doctor and Kenneth Branagh as the Master.

• Locked thread