Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gally posted:

Yes, this would be amazing, he's been my idea for the next doctor for a while. Everybody I suggest it to instantly gets on board as well so that must mean its amazing. Come on BBC!
Ayoade is a terrible actor though. The only time he should play the Doctor is in a sketch show.

That and hes too busy being an awesome director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god the BT ads berk. No thanks.
Bit dismissive. Hes a really good actor. He'd be a great Doctor.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Daniel Rigby actually beat both Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch to a BAFTA award.

Just saying. Hes a legitimately good actor. Plus hes got a pretty close relationship with the BBC having done a lot of TV and radio work with them. I can see why they'd pick him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres nothing in those spoilers that sound inherently bad to me anyway. And the idea of the Doctor spending several centuries fighting his greatest foes and losing his leg in the process sounds loving badass to me.

Plus you know that Matt Smith is going to nail every bit of this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.
On the other hand, Moffatt has already said that Capaldi makes his debut appearance in the Christmas special and that he apparently leaps around in a post-regeneration madness. gently caress knows how much screen time he'll get, but we'll definitely see him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

marktheando posted:

Try not to get too offended at people spending a couple of minutes of their day making posts in the Doctor Who spoilers thread saying some terrible sounding Doctor Who spoilers sound terrible.
I think people are more just bored about people complaining about their low expectations based on unverified spoilers rather than offended. I still haven't seen a single explanation as to why the spoilers are inherently terrible, but most criticism amongst fans just tends to be about pointing at things and going "isn't this poo poo?" and assuming everyone agrees with you.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I just hope theres another run on the show because its entirely sold out. Which is a shame, because I've always wanted to see Matt Smith skull loving a corpse while singing to electropop. I mean its on my bucket list.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

hemp posted:

Also: I've been following these threads for years and oh man goons will bitch about anything. "That's the worst thing I've ever heard, it's going to suck." "It's going to suck." "GODDAMMIT it's going to be just awful and nothing can persuade me otherwise!!!!" Then the episode in question airs and suddenly "Well I thought that was really enjoyable." Every single time.
Just wait until Capaldi appears and you get a whole load of people complaining that he isn't what they imagined and that they are not convinced with him. And then they'll promptly shut up when he gets a full episode. I remember a lot of people who absolutely knew that Smith was going to just be a copy of Tennant except he says "geronimo" every thirty seconds, and uh...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ideally they'd do a Time War era special with McGann/Hurt battling against Derek Jacobi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

The second issue I have is with their initial introduction in A Good Man Goes to War. While it makes logical sense that The Doctor would have friends we haven't seen before, it's cheap and confusing from a storytelling perspective.
I'm probably not the only one, but I genuinely thought for ages that they were introduced in an earlier episode or an internet thingie that I had completely passed me by.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jesus christ, I have absolutely no memory of any of this alternate timeline stuff.

Its a good job I bought the blu-ray, apparently the only thing I remember about season 6 is Rory's scene at the start of "A Good Man Goes to War". Which is spectacular.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me if hes done radio dramas on BBC radio in the past either. Actually he almost certainly has given that pretty much every British actor you can think of has done them at some point.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not so bothered about Moffat putting his stamp on the new Doctor with the amnesia storyline, I'm more annoyed that hes running with such a storyline in the first place. Amnesia plots are almost universally shite.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Since we're in the spoiler thread, can someone shamelessly spoil them for the rest of us please? Hugs and kisses in advance.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Coupling owned. At least it did until Jeff left the show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Noxville posted:

The Doctor's real name is Doctor Hannibal Lector, calling it now
If this meant that Bryan Fuller is taking over for season 10, I'd be very happy with that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

If it's a just a quick visual thing, like the Doctors together in 50th Anniversary special, I'm fine with it, but if they have somebody else doing their voices, I just think it's tacky and disrespectful.
If Moffat repeats that moment with a full line up of Masters after some big triumphant moment which ends on a cliffhanger I think I would be able to forgive at least some of his sins.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure Marshall gets listed as a frontrunner every time because he's a regular on BBC television, he's surprisingly charismatic in his roles and has frequently played characters who are a little bit weird.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tom Hardy as his character from Taboo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I hope Capaldi regenerates into Bradley and Doctors repeating their regenerations becomes canon. Already looking forward to Shearsmith returning as Troughton.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Steven Moffat should just get the gently caress over it already and declare himself the next Doctor.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I heard that Miranda Hart is the new Doctor and shes going to regularly break the fourth wall because they want the show to have a Mrs Browns Boys vibe to it in an attempt at creating a cross generational hit. The companion is going to be a sassy Dalek and they're eyeing up Rob Schneider as The Master to appeal to an American audience.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Simm-Master wrecking Missy's redemption and Missy responding by killing Simm-Master to regenerate into Missy would in fact be an amazing way to handle this story.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Whovians had the theory that this is going to be a simulation that the Doctor is testing Missy in, and I just hope that's totally incorrect
Fucks sake.

Is this isn't it?

Fucks sake.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

I'd like to see a follow up of the Mrs Purchase Cyberman where she meets up with Steven Toast.
Interesting that Steven Toast's name hasn't been mentioned amongst the candidates for next Doctor, like how hes never mentioned for the James Bond role even though hes auditioned for it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm in two minds about Olivia Colman, because on the one hand I've seen her in so many things that I'm a little bit sick of her, but on the other hand casting an average looking woman in her mid-forties as the lead in a franchise like this is exactly the kind of bold thing that I'd loving love to see.

I dunno. I'd just quite like to see a woman in the role if only because it would mix up the traditional dynamic of female companion/male Doctor. I think thats why I've loved Nardole so much in this recent season actually, because he changes that a little bit and its refreshing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is 9/2, Jodie Whittaker is 11/2.
Either one of these would own. Kris Marshall can gently caress right off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ayoade would only be good for a "The Curse of Fatal Death" type of deal because hes an atrocious actor otherwise. Which is fine, because its obvious that his talents lie elsewhere.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...
Shearsmith as Troughton, Gatiss as Pertwee and Pemberton as Colin Baker for a full League of Gentlemen reunion. They join forces with Capaldi to fight off Papa Lazarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SimonCat posted:

So, would it be more controversial if the new Doctor was Irish?

I mean, not just an Irish actor, but a Catholic one using his native accent.
Only if the Master is a Protestant from Northern Ireland.

• Locked thread