Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

00Kevin posted:

But a regeneration that did something to cause other Doctors (or maybe just Eleven) to strip him of his title? I love that idea. There's definitely enough darkness in him as a whole to do something like that.

Yeah, its actually brilliant. I didnt like the last episode too much (despite all the cool continuity stuff) but the notion of the Doctor's name being struck from one incarnation is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'd never heard this about Moffat being so slow with scripts. It kind of sounds like an excuse; doesn't he only write one episode of Sherlock per season? And after it became clear that working on two shows turned the more high-profile one that he was entirely in charge of into a stupid bullshit mess, would he not go back to just working on the one? If Sherlock had never existed, would Moffat's second and third doctor Who series have been as good as his first one? Necessary sacrifice imo

Writing is pretty hard and time-consuming, ontop of that, he's an actual executive producer. If he's not writing, then he's sitting in on casting, production meetings, watching dailies, etc....and he's doing it on two shows!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

00Kevin posted:

That kind of round mantle to the left of the Dalek in the second picture looks like it could be Gallifreyan. John Hurt is the Time War Doctor.

The descriptions of the 50th anniversary trailer from comic-con are confirming it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Action Man posted:

He joined the battle, "without choice, in the name of peace and sanity." He had to do those things because he had run out of options. I'm really starting to love the idea that the Doctor avoided fighting in the Time War until every other option possible was no longer available to him.

Yeah, when the Eighth Doctor says (AAAAAAAAAAAAAA) that he's only helping out, not fighting, I get a sense he's trying to minimize fallout from Time War Bullshit but this minisode showed us why he couldn't stand on the sidelines anymore.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

It'd be pretty bitchin' if Capaldi was actually in the 50th and we saw the future doctor before Matt Smith actually regenerated into him. (But only for a short while. You can't really play doctors off each other when we haven't met one of them.)

I'm wondering if we might not get a shot of him, watching from the shadows. It would be cool but would take away from seeing up erupt from the regeneration though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Neowyrm posted:

About how long before The Eleventh Hour aired did we know what 11's outfit was going to look like? I can't take all this waiting.

A couple of months. I think they released an official picture before the costume got photographed during location filming.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

jivjov posted:

I honestly wish they had just digitally Eccleston'd Hurt's face. They could even have still cut away before the regeneration effect was done, or pulled out to a longer shot with no clear face on screen, but after seeing the 8->War regeneration, my one wishlist item left for the 50th was a War->9.

But they did that. John Hurt suddenly has Christopher Eccleston's eyes for a few frames.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

From the official Who facebook page:

I have not seen this anywhere on the FB page. It's probably fan made.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

It was a staggeringly cheap cliffhanger, yeah. And made the Tenth Doctor look even more of an arsehole than usual.

It made the ratings jump like, half a million for the following episode though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.

This is why we can't go from too much of that synopsis, most of it seems like it's in the special, but, there's too much second-hand, confused information. There is no way a Doctor Who fan who has seen this thing or read a detailed synopsis and is the kind of person who spoils it online doesn't spoil the 11th Doctor's last words and the 12th Doctor's first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

marktheando posted:

Wasn't the regeneration short just on iPlayer? If his big death scene doesn't even make it to tv, they aren't going to do a proper episode with McGann.

It made huge numbers on the iplayer and the rumor going was that the BBC was impressed and interested in capitalizing on it.

• Locked thread