Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So did The Name of the Doctor depict all of his regenerations except McGann? That's either setting up something, or a pretty big dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

qntm posted:

I choose to believe that sometime during the Time War the Doctor went "Screw it! I've lost count. I can't keep track anymore and I can't be bothered to work it out. I'm nine hundred. I'm arbitrarily starting over at nine hundred, which I know is too low, but I don't care. And there are no Time Lords left to call me out on it."

Obviously the real reason the Doctor loses 50 years of age between the old show and the new is that one of the battles in the Time War clearly cut out a 50 year slice of time from the universe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I guess I'll be "that guy" and say I was never a huge fan of Smith. Partly I never really liked his style, but for the most part I think I had a problem disassociating himself with the features of the Moffat era in general. Of course I also largely didn't like Tennant for the same reason, but since he left I've grown somewhat fonder of his seasons, so maybe that will be the case with Smith a while from now.

I'm also hoping for an older Doctor, but completely expecting he will be as young or younger than Smith was in 2010.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

That was also supposed to have lead into a "Ninth Doctor: Year One" comic storyline which would have ended with 9 leaving his then-companion (Destrii) behind to go off and fight in the Time War.

Incidentally the actual Eighth Doctor ending comic which did get made ends with 8 losing his coat and deciding that he's going to replace it with a leather jacket.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How the hell would Wil Wheaton of all people know who was cast as the Doctor?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't imagine a guy that old and/or not that good looking would ever get the role, sad as it is to say.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I could definitely see that happening, but if it does, that would be a huge disappointment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Supposedly, the new Doctor Who Magazine will have three excerpts from the audition script for the Twelfth Doctor. Supposedly nothing spoilery (probably just something they whipped up to try and test the person's range), but just in case:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-12th-doctor-audition-scripts-51955.htm

There's also an interview up on IGN where Jenna Coleman says the 50th Anniversary is a transformational episode for the show that will leave them with a "blank canvas" afterward. :sweatdrop:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...erent-direction

So the 12th Doctor is just going to be written like the 11th Doctor. Very creative, Moffat.

Also the more I hear about the 50th the more I'm dreading it. Like really, really dreading it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's no way a guy in his mid-50s is going to be cast as the Doctor in the current form of the show, where the companion is 27 and Doctor-companion flirting has become such a major part of the show and its target demographic appeal.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know what Moffat is going to do in three years time now that he's moved the 10th Anniversary episode forward to this year.

Well, he is the guy who invented the catchphrase "timey wimey," as well as the guy who knows he's the cleverest writer in showbusiness. Just one step further to take it to the meta level and claim that the 10th anniversary is really this year because of wibbly wobbly spoiler reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

At least they do not have a weakness to gold and prats gold stars.

Wasn't the weakness to gold a plot point in the Gaiman episode? (I honestly don't remember)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

so it sounds like he's making fun of people who want answers by saying they've already got them.

It sounds more like he's saying, "You thought we gave you the answers? That was a clever trick, just wait until the REAL answers to those answers are revealed!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, the show did the same thing with Gwen, Martha, and (I think?) Amy, so it makes sense they'd keep the trend up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking at the wikipedia article for the special, I noticed there was a character called Lord Bentham. For a second I read that as Lord Benton and got really excited...but alas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oh good, I'm glad they're managing to take time from the 50th to make sure we haven't forgotten that compelling "I hosed Queen Elizabeth" joke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm curious about what role Eccleston would have had if he appeared. I know the speculation at first was that the Hurt Doctor was made to replace him, but given the revelations about HD since, that doesn't seem to be it. I wonder if Eccleston had appeared it would have basically just been to pop in and say "Fantastic!" for a scene.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Dodo is coming back?

In honor of the Kennedy assassination anniversary I'm reading Who Killed Kennedy. On the whole it's a really fun book, but what the author did to Dodo...There's a lot of weirdly dark stuff in those 90's Who books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

Gimme details please

She goes crazy after leaving the Doctor due to the effect of having the WOTAN take over her mind, gets committed to various psychiatric institutions, kills another patient who tries to rape her, is given shock therapy which leaves her even worse off than before, eventually winds up in a homeless shelter, gets rescued by the book's fake author who becomes her lover, she gets pregnant with his child only to be killed by the Master, and the only people to attend her funeral are her lover and the Seventh Doctor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zamiel posted:

Mirror has an article saying Matt Smith makes an appearance at the end of Adventure in Space and Time where he "meets" Hartnell.

Well, that also calls him the Twelfth Doctor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was awesome to see McGann again, and even more to hear the Big Finish companions named, something which I would have thought was even less likely than seeing McGann again. But I do think 8 now has almost as ignominious a death as 7.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Lots of people remember the Time War besides the Doctor.

The Time War is always something I thought worked best the less directly it was addressed. It was good as a way to explain the Time Lords and Daleks being gone and the general reset of the new series, but as soon as stuff from it started getting brought up specifically, it ran into a well of problems. In one of the very first Ninth Doctor episodes it's established it was supposed to be invisible to lesser species, but just about every alien group seems to know about it (and in End of Time and Night of the Doctor, it seems like a ton took part, and even more were threatened by its effects). Plus from the start there was the problem of it supposedly wiping the Time Lords and Daleks from history, but everyone still remembering them.

Then once the Time War was actually described, it was a lot less interesting than viewers could have imagined. The Time Lady's description of it in End of Time seemed pretty lame, of it just being basically a normal war whose soldiers were in a Groundhog Day loop.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

The Time War was mentioned as being invisible to all but the "higher races" though I can't remember which episode it was in (I was going to say "The End of the World" but that seems much too early; it might have been "The Shakespeare Code").

It was the Dickens episode, I think. One of the ghost creatures mentions it.

I also noticed that at least in the Eccleston season it's mentioned several times that the Time Lords and Daleks are remembered as distant legends, which suggests that they still 'existed' but only in the distant past in comparison to the 'present' of the universe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

This has always been what I've thought, and it was bolstered on screen in Father's Day when the Doctor said the Reapers were the universe's way of self correcting time travel issues since the Time Lords weren't around. Since they were always everywhere by virtue of their time travel ability, it wouldn't be a case of "they existed from say 1.5 to 1.4 billion years ago and now they are gone so they can't do anything." As long as they ever existed they would always be everywhen.

But this isn't the only way that problem has come up. Eccleston talked about being able to sense that there were no Time Lords left in existence. Yet just a few years from them a whole planet of them shows back up for at least a bit, not to mention the Master spent a few years of his own time dicking around the Utopia ship with Lucy Saxon and his robot sphere friends. And that's even taking into account that the Master was somehow able to jam his Time Lord essence during his time on Earth by using the cell phone network, which always seemed pretty dumb to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

On the other hand, if the Time Lords did exist and then the planet got locked away, the Doctor should be able to sense thousands of other Time Lords from before the war zipping around in TARDISes, observing the Universe, various versions of The Rani, The Master, Drax, etc.

To be honest, I always thought it was kind of weak that the destruction of Gallifrey meant that all the Time Lords died. Were none of them off world at the time? That seems odd, especially since they were in the middle of a war that spanned all of time and space.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ben Soosneb posted:

Moff just did a mini episode featuring McGann regenerating.

Tom Baker will at least have some voice work. At Least.

It's like open season for fan excitement.

The rumor that a number of the classic Doctors had done voices for the 50th has been around for a while now, so this is my guess as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Maybe Tom Baker is going to play a deformed version of the Fourth Doctor made by a faulty loom.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The best thing I can say about The Last Day is that it made me want to play Tiberian Sun again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

James R posted:

C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley both died on the same day of the same year, yet they are hardly mentioned, sadly. Yes, it's a shame that a President got assassinated, but it's not some holy untouchable moment.

Two elderly authors dying of natural causes vs. a young head of state of a superpower assassinated in mysterious circumstances. Hmm, I can't imagine why the anniversary of one of those is remembered more than the other two.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tornhelm posted:

As a non-American, neither can I. Both of the authors actually did something useful with their lives. Kennedy on the other hand was nothing more than a philandering prototype of Obama.

You're right, Kennedy only helped end centuries of horrid institutional oppression of Africans. CS Lewis wrote hamfisted allegories about lion Jesus. I'm a loving idiot for thinking Kennedy did something useful with his life in comparison.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can easily imagine that the Doctor will get a new set of regenerations due to Magical Feel-Good Reasons, seeing as that would just be copying Moffat's very first Who script (Curse of Fatal Death).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tomtrek posted:

New promo image from Time of The Doctor:

First impression: For a second, I thought that was one of the 80's style Cybermen behind Matt Smith.

Second impression: the Silent in the background is doing the Donald Sutherland pod person scream from the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mortanis posted:

It's very unlikely to be worse than the Master eating people and making GBS threads lightning.

So it's gotten to the point where "it probably won't be as bad as End of Time Part 1" = "good enough".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Her just saying "Good night" would be far too subdued for River, especially as being written by Moffat as part of a Big Dramatic Scene. It'd have to be, "Good night - now come to bed, sweetie, or I'll have to tell you SPOILERS!" Followed by them kissing as Murray Gold went overboard.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I sense Paternoster action.

This was actually the first thing confirmed about the season (which was actually bad news for me...I can't stand them.) I think there was also a Blue Peter contest to design a gadget to appear in their episode?

Fake edit: Ah, here we go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bp-doctorwho-comp-winners.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

My perfect schedule would be 11-13 uninterrupted episodes in the spring, followed by a Christmas special to give you something in the rest of the year. And at least ONE 2 parter.

Well, wasn't it already stated that three or four directors have each been assigned two-episode blocs each? That seems like two-episode stories for those might be possibilities.

I also just read on Wiki that in the 8th season, Moffat is going to use an RTD plan for why there are multiple Capaldi characters. Can't wait for that...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD already beat them to it, the gal at Torchwood was Martha's identical cousin. Or some such poo poo like that. :rolleyes:

Wasn't there some explanation for Gwen from Torchwood looking like that maid she played in the Dickens episode, also? Like the Cardiff rift (so glad that's not a thing on the show any more) made her look like a copy or something like that?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

Maxil and the Doctor are cousins.

Wasn't the Fifth Doctor's fretting about his regeneration supposed to be to make people worry that the Doctor had used up all his regenerations? (I guess because of the Brain of Morbius?)

During the fade to black when the Fifth Doctor dies, Maxil sneaks about the TARDIS, steals Fifth's clothes, dumps the corpse out, and decides life as the Doctor is better than some dead-end guard job on Gallifrey.

Cue Season -1A where all of Maxil's extra regenerations are used up between Hurt and Eccleston.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

There was no river in the recent specials celebrating the end of matt. If moffat wanted a new river plot. it hink he'd start it there somewhere.

i guess moffat knows you can't step in the same river twice.

Tasha Lem or whatever she was called was basically River Song, just with a different name and a blank backstory allowing her to be killed off in a Shocking Twist that was in no way a near-verbatim rehash of Asylum of the Daleks.

I also think there is a 100% chance that at the very least, we'll see River again in Moffat's Grand Finale Episode whenever he leaves.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope Stax, Vastra and lesbian Buffy get killed by being stomped on by a giant steampunk Cyberman.

Who would have to actually be a weeping angel, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked Strax the first time he was introduced, but that's the only time I've liked any of those three. And actually, didn't he also die in that episode? Was him somehow coming back to life ever brought up?

Bicyclops posted:

...written by Eoin Colfer.

I'd love to see him do a Doctor Who story.

• Locked thread