Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wow...that sounds absolutely dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm still irrationally hoping for:

Mortanis posted:

Davros: The time has come for me to wipe out all reality, Doctor! Witness as everything you cherish is undone!
The Doctor: Okay, fuckity-bye.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

As for Colin's costume, I've seen some fan-recolours of it in a basic navy blue colour scheme floating around online and it looks a lot better than the "explosion in the rainbow factory".

Didn't they do that for one of the early 2000s web animations (because they couldn't animate the actual costume due to all the colors)?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

James R posted:

I distinctly remember hearing Paul McGann talking about how he wanted to have the Doctor in a leather jacket and trousers etc, with short hair, but was made to wear his costume and have the fake hair/wig attached then the show rebooted and BOOM Eccleston is in the exact costume and hair he wanted!

In his very last storyline in the Doctor Who Monthly comic strip, the 8th Doctor loses his jacket and decides to get a leather coat to replace it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

Wasn't the regeneration short just on iPlayer? If his big death scene doesn't even make it to tv, they aren't going to do a proper episode with McGann.

They aired it in front of the 50th on BBC America (at least when they re-aired the 50th on Christmas, I didn't watch it on TV when it first aired).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So apparently the second episode is going to involve the Daleks? I was kind of hoping to not see them again for a while.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

docbeard posted:

*THE DOCTOR LIES*

This quickly became my least favorite Moffatism, easily beating out wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

I really hope that all the concentrated BS of Time of the Doctor means that Moffat got all that stuff out of his system and we can now move on with him ignoring all those convoluted plot strings and recurring elements and catchphrases and all that. I'm sure they'll all build up again (sadly) but I really hope we just get a clean slate for 12 like we did for 11.

Of course the fact that the very first 12 episode will apparently have the Victorian Fanservice Squad, the clockwork robots, and an 11 cameo doesn't fill me with confidence that Moffat will be moving on from his collection of recurring elements...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I guess Kate Stewart was fine but Osgood was a completely forgettable example of yet another weak comedic side character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

weak is fine. Weak means there's room for improvement. Osgood was infinitely better than the idiotic big-glasses guy from Planet of the Dead, or that :siren:GADGET GADGET:siren: thing in terms of 'comedic' characters

I guess. But I suppose I'm also in the minority in that I'd really be fine with never seeing characters and actors who never worked rather than keep having them return in the hope that maybe they'll be good this time (like basically the entire revolving characters that built up around 11 and/or Clara).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That episode was dire enough to almost entirely snuff out my enthusiasm for the new Capaldi season. Not because of him but just because if this episode is an indicator of what the rest of the season will be like it's going to be unwatchable.

I did really enjoy the Doctor and Clara's conversation in the restaurant, and Capaldi's dialogue after the amnesia bit was dropped, so I'm sure he'll be fun to watch, but really, that was the sole highlight.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missy is either the Master or one of those long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Doctor Who Spoilers: Let's Save JFK!

I honestly would kind of like to see Who Killed Kennedy condensed and adapted as a "Doctor-lite" type of episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So according to the AV Club, this fan-made opening credit sequence is apparently what the actual 8th season credits will be based on, because Moffat liked it so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the use of Capaldi's death-glare rather than his entire face (especially one doing the creepy Colin Baker smile-morph) but other than that I probably liked the fan one better.

Though the people exclaiming "Brilliant!" and "Oh my God!" at the sight of Peter Capaldi's name were funny. I mean it's not like that could have possibly been expected in any way!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did they use music from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in that episode?

I guess that makes sense, since I think they used music from The Dark Knight in Deep Breath.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Deep Breath was one of the most bloated and completely dull episodes in the last few years. Dalek and Sherwood were each better, but really didn't stand out for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I love how The Doctor Dances has grown in critical acclaim. It as such a sneaky subversive ep. I have a feeling that these Season 8 episodes will gain favour over time as well.

I think it was pretty well regarded since the beginning. Other than the farting alien episodes I think all the Eccleston episodes have always been held up highly. It's only in the last few years that I've seen them start to get dumped on for their special effects not living up. But then again, welcome to Doctor Who!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely the best of the four leaked episodes so far, but no surprise given that this was the only decent one of the five leaked scripts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So did Listen establish that Time Lords and Gallifreyans are separate, given the Doctor's dad (?) saying "He'll never make a Time Lord!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

e X posted:

That has literally been the case for decades.

Maybe in books, definitely not in the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I actually didn't mind the Cyberman and their iteration in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday but at least RTD did some interesting political commentary with them.

It should be noted that elements of these episodes (along with Parting of the Ways) were heavily inspired from the final 8th Doctor comic in Doctor Who Monthly, The Flood. Which I think, similar to Spare Parts, is actually one of the best Cybermen stories despite being "just" a spinoff. It involves the final Cybermen from the distant future (where they've been forced to become very gaunt, skeletal forms) traveling back in time to try to save their race by harvesting parts from modern-day humans, since in their future there are no more genetically-compatable humans left. And when they capture the Doctor, they decide to try and uncover the key to Time Lord regeneration to revitalize their race.

Notably RTD also originally said this could show the canonical regeneration of McGann to Eccleston at the end, but then withdrew his permission (though he then used their idea for Parting of the Ways). The collected version of the comic does show the (uncolored) post-regeneration scene, though, with Eccleston dressed in McGann's outfit. Also the actual comic ends with McGann losing his Edwardian jacket and deciding to replace it with a black leather coat.

I guess what I'm saying is, The Flood is a really great story but is very sadly not well known.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Hell, even the collected forces of his enemies in Time of the Doctor were there to stop the Time Lords returning because they feared a second Great Time War.

I always thought it was really funny/stupid that the collected forces of the Daleks/Cybermen/everyone else didn't want the Time Lords to return since it would cause the Time War to begin again, and so sent all of their military forces endlessly against Trenzalore, only for them to be defeated endlessly solely by the Doctor for a thousand years. If they're that incompetent you'd think he'd be all for bringing back the Time Lords since it seems like The Most Evil Villains in the Universe basically amount to "a sight nuisance."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Well, apparently the Christmas special is supposed to be a full-on comedy, with Nick Frost as Santa Claus. I poo poo you not. Supposedly takes place three years after the series finale, and Clara's there too.

But is it set on Planet Christmas again?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looke posted:

Does he have some string that holds his jacket open for him

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey string.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Mummy on the Orient Express is getting disappointingly "meh" advanced reviews.

Although the countdown timer that appears on screen every time someone sees the mummy sounds interesting.

Considering every single advanced review for Doctor Who I've ever seen has always been "amazing great unbelievably genre-changing brilliance!" it must be pretty dire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Every other sci-fi show has done it. "Eerie Indiana" did it over 20 years ago. "Supernatural" did it. I'm kind of surprised it's taken Who 51 years to do it. If that is what's going on.

Didn't one of the 8th Doctor books or comics do this, which was its explanation for the Peter Cushing Doctor or something like that? Or maybe my memory is just completely making this up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missy being the Rani would be maybe the one thing more retarded than her actually being Death and/or a Doctor Who Fangirl. Especially since it's being built up to such a big reveal, and because probably 95% of the show's current audience have absolutely no idea who the Rani is (though I'm sure if she is the Rani we'll see a bunch of new show fans claiming they "knew all along!" or something like that).

It'd also be kind of... I guess distasteful, given that when filming the 50th Moffat kept harping on "I don't want to feature the old Doctors because the show is about looking forward, not back!" only to then go on to make the big bad of the next season probably the dumbest possible callback to the old show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like how Missy being short for Mistress because she's the female Master is something a ton of people immediately guessed when she first showed up, but then dismissed for being way too straightforward and obvious. Whoops!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

If he keeps his memories and emotions and poo poo and it's basically a revival of the character as a Cyberman, gently caress, why not, make him a goddamn companion.

On this topic I keep wondering if the season will end with the Master becoming the Doctor's new companion or at least joining along in the TARDIS a la Scream of the Shalka. I'm sure it'd require a really contrived bullshit reason to set it up but obviously it's not like that would be unusual for this show. Plus if Moffat does actually remember he set up that the Doctor is supposed to be trying to find Gallifrey I like the thought of them working together to try and find it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xibanya posted:

They would never do that (even though I think it's a good idea too) because handydoc was already the valeyard in a comic book and I doubt they would take a major plot point from a comic published years ago.

In addition to what Shadoer said, the first two season finales of the revival borrowed stuff from the 8th Doctor comic strip, not to mention Human Nature outright adapting a book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man, this whole "fictional character is actually real" conceit thing is a big departure from all the episodes in the last series

Did anyone else feel like Santa was making an implication that the Doctor is also like a fairy tale?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Halloween really that big a deal in the UK that they're worried a lot of kids would miss out?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't The Salmon of Doubt supposed to connect the Hitchhiker books with the Dirk Gently books?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading the Wikipedia entry for the episode with three giant paragraphs about how well the episode was received by the media makes me wonder, was there any actual episode of the revival that wasn't given overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics? I mean, off the top of my head, I honestly feel like Fear Her was the only episode that didn't get universal praise from mainstream critics.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I think he did the best job of it in seasons one and three. In the former case, one could conceivably have overlooked the Bad Wolf references until the Doctor notices them in "Boom Town" (I'm trying to make myself feel better for being an inattentive 13-year old, here), while in the latter, the Mr Saxon stuff was pretty on the nose, but it meant there were more subtle call backs to stuff like the Carrionite "word magic" from "The Shakespeare Code", which only became important in retrospect (even if Tinkerbell Jesus was probably fairly high up on the list of the stupidest possible uses for it).

Of course, as we all know, RTD missed a big opportunity to connect some of his dots when he decided to leave out the lines where the Master was going to thank the Doctor for getting Harriet Jones out of the way for him.

I always appreciated how Season 3 actually did a very good job setting stuff up for the final storyline, or at least using the final storyline to tie the season together. I think every single prior episode from the season gets tied into it somehow, and in a way which actually doesn't feel hamfisted. I think Season 3 gets a lot of flak for the absolutely terrible ending but I personally think it's about as good as the first Smith season and better than any subsequent Moffat season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The next villain should be Ricky Gervais reprising his role as the rubbery slug alien from the Extras finale.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Bigger picture of what I'm guessing is the same thing:

You're the best daddy ever, Mr. Bubbles!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Those did end up tying into the main plotline for that season, though, didn't they? Wasn't that the explanation for how Amy was pregnant/not pregnant, or something like that? Been forever since I've seen that season but I definitely remember it ending by leading into the big storyline reveal shocker.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

So they just started shooting the finale ... and Davros' chair and costume, normally on display at the Experience in Cardiff, was taken down over the weekend.

Hmm... what's a female nickname version of Davros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supposedly the season finale is going to involve Gallifrey and revisit Capaldi's cameo from the Day of the Doctor:

http://io9.com/doctor-whos-most-surprising-cameo-will-get-an-explanati-1720932557

• Locked thread