Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

So did The Name of the Doctor depict all of his regenerations except McGann? That's either setting up something, or a pretty big dick move.

McGann was depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Porkchop Express posted:

Man they aren't gonna hold true to the 13 regeneration a thing, it was a throwaway line in the original story, if the ratings are still strong they will go past 13 for sure.

They'll find a way around it, but it's a bit more than a throw-away line at this point - it's the reason that the Master has to keep stealing people's bodies in Old Who. They'll use it to give the Doctor a little mortality for a season or so once we hear that whoever plays Thirteen is leaving, assuming the show runs that long.

edit:

Renzian posted:

Oh I'm totally with you. I don't doubt for a second that the show will continue on past 13 incarnations of the Doctor - but I think the dramatic potential for the Valeyard as a villain is there, and I really think I recall the Master saying in Trial of a Time Lord that the Valeyard shows/showed up between the 12th and final regeneration of the Doctor. But, I haven't seen it in a while, so I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Yeah, he says it's somewhere between the two incarnations (mostly because the writers made them change it from simply being the Thirteenth Doctor, probably.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

They certainly will, the same way the 12th Doctor won't turn into The Valeyard and be evil forever. It's just plot points for them to get some stories on.

And before someone comes in and says: :smug: "I hope they will just regenerate him and not say a THING about it or acknowledge it at all!" or :goonsay: "But you see, in episode 43 of the Sarah Jane Adventures he said he had 570 regenerations, therefore..." I think it's safe to say that Moffat dropping the Valeyard and every other nerdy thing he's thrown in shows that Moffat would more than likely keep with the 12 regeneration limit and give the Doctor a new cycle explicitly.

Moffat is unlikely to be the showrunner by then, I think, but yes, I think they'll acknowledge that it's his last regeneration, and probably with more than a "well, I took all of River's" throwaway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fazana posted:

It's specifically mentioned near the start of the McGann movie as well but after saying that they only get 13 regenerations his very next line is that The Master was never very good at following rules.

That leaves it open to be interpeted as it being a rule or a guideline NOT a physical body regeneration limit or whatever. Though where that leaves the River "Here's all my lives, enjoy!" I dunno.

To be fair, what the Master means is "I used up all my thirteen lives and since then I've been stealing other people's bodies" as both the Anthony Ainley and Eric Robert incarnations are actually Traken/human people he hijacks, so for him it it may still be a physical body regeneration limit. He never actually regenerates after his thirteenth incarnation (until New Who); he just cheats.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Emerson Cod posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I guess Moffat did get confirmed for the 8th series at the official BBC page. So if Matt's already confirmed himself and Jenna Louise Coleman was confirmed a while back, it looks like next year is shaping up to be pretty good. I hope they'll add another companion, though. Clara on her own doesn't really add much.

Yeah, I vastly prefer two or three companions to just one. For one thing, it makes it easier for the Doctor to be Space Gandalf because if the show just has to have romantic tension, it can be between the companions. Plus, it just adds a little variety, and when one companion leaves there's a little more continuity of mood instead of creating grumpy, lonely Doctor every time somebody leaves the cast.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Royal W posted:

It was never on the fritz. She always takes the Doctor where he needs to go. :moffat:

That's more of a Gaiman thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Everybody's talking about the Valeyard being between the Doctor's 12th and 13th incarnations, but the Master clearly says "12th and final," which for Moffat isn't so much wiggle room as it is a playground of excuses to keep the Doctor going for many forms to come.

He really doesn't though :confused:

The Master posted:

The Valeyard, Doctor, is your penultimate reincarnation... Somewhere between your twelfth and thirteenth regeneration.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

What? Where are you getting this from? I watched The Trial of a Time Lord for the first time this week, and just pulled up the episode and checked again... this is the verbatim quote:

I just pulled it from TARDIS files, which may be using some of the questionably canon material, but either way, your quote says the same thing: The Valeyard is between regenerations. Although it looks like I was misinterpreting what Rhinocepter was saying - I thought he was making a point about which incarnation the Valeyard was, but he's noting that the Thirteenth Doctor has to be the last.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Decius posted:

Eh, we had enough Doctor angsting around with Tennant already, and we all know that he will find some solution if it even comes up, because the BBC and we all want more Doctor Who.

Wellllll, you have to remember, even if John Hurt is the new Ninth Doctor and Matt Smith is Twelve now, he has at least another year, and then we have another incarnation that will last another 3 - 4 years, which is plenty of time for the show to become unpopular. Hell, if it turns out Hurt is some kind of alt-Doctor who isn't part of the regular continuity of the Doctor's life, we could still have a decade of television before the Thirteenth Doctor "dies."

I think the show will stay pretty drat popular, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they put someone terrible in charge later and they ran it into the ground.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wyoming posted:

Has there been any talk of John Simm being involved? Because The Master is technically part of the Time War now isn't he? I can't remember how that whole thing worked.

That seems unlikely at the moment. The Radio Times just published a piece saying that he wants Doctor Who fans to leave him alone. He says the remark was taken out of context and overblown, which is likely, but I do think he'd probably like a little space from the role.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rocket_man38 posted:

I really hate it when sci fi actors hate being a part of what they were on. Kind of a slap in the face to fans. I hope he changes his mind.

There are only so many times one can go out to dinner with the family and be asked an unprovoked horde of questions before it becomes frustrating, I imagine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The media speculation is hilarious, because they're all like :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: with a currently living actor's face and "This person could be the next Doctor!(but so could just about anybody else)" as the headline.

edit: particularly great are all the unsourced "current favorite is..." articles.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 3, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fazana posted:

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

Everyone thinks that it was the actual Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What would be best is if they went with that idea but like the K-9 spin-off, they could make no actual references to Doctor Who and everything had to be implied. And then the actor playing the Doctor quit after the first season and they realized they couldn't regenerate him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Helen Mirren thing is admittedly because she actually said that she'd be interested in the part, but given the 14 episode schedule and the probable payscale, she almost certainly isn't actually interested.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

He can't - he was already Baltazar in the animated movie.

That being said, he'd make a fantastic Valeyard.

Also Mr. Finch in School Reunion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plus the Brig is that guy in the endless Dalek serial before he's the Brig. And Martha is Cybervictim # 29.

Probably my favorite is that Julian Glover is in both the Crusades and City of Death.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

The 50th would be neat if Eleven buys the farm at the beginning and keeps de-regenerating into different incarnations over the course of the episode. Would explain why they all look older, plus give them all an equal amount of screentime.

Then at the end a new face shows up.

He's regenerating in the Christmas special though, and most of the other Doctors have already said that they are not in the 50th.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

Patrick Stewart as the Doctor would set off the biggest nerdsplosion ever.

Only if Will Wheaton is on as a companion for one episode, duplicating what happened with Peter Davidson's Doctor and Adric in Earthshock.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, The Twin Dilemma is easily the worst serial for so many reasons.

I can't stand almost any of the Sixth Doctor's run. Colin Baker's run is definitely far more tainted by the writing than the acting. The same kind of condescending and indignant eye-rolling that Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston offer their companions is charming on them because you get the sense that they really like and respect the people they travel with, whereas Six seems to barely tolerate Peri until very late in his run. The problem isn't that he's "dark" (in fact, there's not a hell of a lot that's "dark" about his reign compared with a lot of New Who), it's that he's less human than loving Sherlock Holmes, who has at least always seemed to care about Watson.

I will admit to being in the minority and thinking that some of it has to do with Colin's acting, though. I think even if he were given some of the Douglas Adams years, he would have come off as haughty, aloof and annoying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seven, Nine and Ten are the only ones who didn't speak with RP, which I guess makes sense, because when the start "touring the regions," it makes you think for a moment how the TARDIS translation thing is supposed to work, which should be a hand-wave that you forget about.

Still, "Lots of planets have a north!" was fun, Sly's accent is great and Tennant's put-on accent really works for him. It'd be kind of comforting to hear an Irish brogue, but I don't think it's in the cards.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We're still far enough out that we're not going to see any real spoilers (which is fine by me), but there are these tiny little hints along the way:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/15/doctor-who-composer-teases-controversial-50th-anniversary-special-3882870/?ITO=news-sitemap

I think Matt Smith has said something similar about the chemistry, that there's a slight bit of competition but that it's mostly the two of them thinking it's really cool to have them both in the same place.

"Controversial" doesn't sound good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Eccelstone had made plenty of film and tv appearances on both sides of the pond prior to taking the role.

He's sort of the exception to the rule, though, and it's probably because reviving the series was risky at best, so they wanted someone with a little more celebrity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Royal W posted:

But it looks like Moff has put the kibosh on any actual videos getting out before the official release, on pain of no more comic-con presentations in the future. Considering Who fans' track record when people ask nicely (or threaten to take their ball and go home, in this case), I don't expect we'll see a leak.

The BBC has been promising to release it soon either way, though, so we may be able to witness a trailer soon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I caught it and was thrilled to see that someone said "Doctor who?" in it. There really hasn't been enough of that joke constantly in the whole past eight years.

It is one of the first things that Hartnell says, though. v:shobon:v

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Classtoise posted:

You could also point out that up until the 80s, and then again until the second season of the new series, he was credited as "Doctor Who".

I think the last time he was credited as the Doctor in the old series wasn't even on TV. It was in the press packet for the movie that called Eight "The Doctor".

There's even a big smart computer that calls him "Doctor Who!" :v:

I'm a little tired of the "Doctor Who?" joke and yes, he's called the Doctor, but the people who complain about the joke constantly are actually way more irritating than the joke itself. Plus saying "Which actor do you think should play the titular character on Doctor Who next?" is a great way to screen for people who are more concerned with fan shibboleths than enjoying fiction for what it is. Doctor Who an easy shorthand and I don't blame anybody for calling him that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Supposedly, the new Doctor Who Magazine will have three excerpts from the audition script for the Twelfth Doctor. Supposedly nothing spoilery (probably just something they whipped up to try and test the person's range), but just in case:

quote:

THE DOCTOR: Right then, eyesight. Not bad, bit blue. Ears – not pointy, right way up, more or less level. Face – well I’ve got one. Oh, no -French!
CLARA: French.
THE DOCTOR: I’ve deleted French! Plus all cookery skills, and the breast stroke. And hopping. Never mind hopping, who needs to hop. Ohh, the kidneys are interesting. Never had that before – interesting kidneys.
CLARA: Are you all right?
THE DOCTOR: I don’t know, do I look all right?
CLARA: I don’t know.
THE DOCTOR: How’s the face? Seems all right from the inside. Nice action, responsive. Bit less heft on the chin. How is it?
CLARA: It’s… okay.
THE DOCTOR: Okay?
CLARA: It’s a bit… you know.
THE DOCTOR: No I don’t, I haven’t seen it yet.
CLARA: Maybe it’s just new.
THE DOCTOR: Have you changed height?
CLARA: No.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-12th-doctor-audition-scripts-51955.htm

There's also an interview up on IGN where Jenna Coleman says the 50th Anniversary is a transformational episode for the show that will leave them with a "blank canvas" afterward. :sweatdrop:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...erent-direction

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

James R posted:

I wouldn't be against them somehow rolling back in time with the next series and using John Hurt as 'The Doctor' for a season, telling stories of his time.

I very much doubt that's the plan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

So the 12th Doctor is just going to be written like the 11th Doctor. Very creative, Moffat.

Also the more I hear about the 50th the more I'm dreading it. Like really, really dreading it.

To be fair, he has actually said that he had to write placeholder dialogue that resembles Ten and Eleven stuff just to give them something to work with, and that a lot of the writing should be driven by who you cast, rather than the other way round. Much though Moffat has problems, I'm sure people will turn in scripts that are very different once they know what kind of a persona has been hired for Twelve.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure we've heard Matt talk about filming the Christmas special a few times now. I mean, unless he's been conning everybody and that's why he shaved his head.

Matt Smith has an answer for that, apparently:

quote:

"The quiff will be there," Smith reassures. "I think it would be quite funny to have the bald [head]. You know Macaulay Culkin in 'Home Alone' with the aftershave? I think the Doctor could wake up and go 'Ahhh!'"

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/07/doctor-who-matt-smith-talks-the-doctors-hair-and-courting-new-fans.html

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

If I had to choose between Idris Elba being James Bond or Doctor Who...that would be a tough choice!

I think Daniel Craig is going to hold onto it for as long as they'll let him, unfortunately. Not that he's bad, I'd just prefer to see some change (Elba would certainly be a good candidate!) rather than end up with another Roger Moore situation.

I'd still prefer someone a little more unknown for the Doctor, but maybe the show has gotten enough popularity that they're starting to look for someone with a little more celebrity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

I don't know, doing a full series of Doctor Who is a pretty punishing schedule of running down corridors for a 73 year old.

They could always employ the ghost of Ian Marter to handle the physical stuff for him :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It appears that one of the stuntworkers has accidentally revealed that the Cybermen will be in the Christmas special:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27135/has-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-monster-been-revealed

This doesn't necessarily mean they're going to feature prominently, but I'd say odds are that they're the major villain in Matt Smith's swansong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

T-Bakes may also have been wearing a wig in his regeneration story, come to think of it. he was ill a lot of the last season and had to wear one because his hair had lost its insane frizziness.

Uh oh we're on wigchat again!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Cyberman have been crappy since the Fourth Doctor era anyway. The "Excellent!" Cybermen were about the silliest recurring villains.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope it's fun "I love traveling through space and time" Rose and not Bad Wolf bay realdoll Tennant Rose.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eh, you either hate the Tennant years or you don't, I guess. Rose had to grow on me, but I didn't think she was so bad, and "It's all a big joke and I'm having fun!" (which was Amy's main way of operating too) is better than "Doctor, I wanna go hoooooooome!" or a the "I'm too awesome to be impressed with time travel" poo poo you get with some companions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

^^ Totes.

Wow, Tennant looks old in that poster. Well, not *old right now* exactly but very much on the cusp of it like the skin on his face is going to wake up soon, get a kicking from middle age and just fall down to his knees in a jowly, saggy mess.

Possibly.

I mean, he kind of just looks like he's 42 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheChad posted:

I didn't check this or the other thread out until I had caught up either. I think there's just a difference between casting spoilers/leaked photos and 'here's a breakdown of the last episode and why I liked/didn't like it.'

Also, if you aren't caught up most of the discussion will be meaningless.

Yeah, this is what I do. It's easy to duck out of the spoiler thread once plot summaries start hitting, but if you're behind on watching (and I always am by at least one day), you have to wait to catch up on. Just kind of the way it works.

• Locked thread