Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

HonorableTB posted:

Oh man, I hope they go that route people seem to be talking about where Hurt's Doctor is the real 9th Doctor. It wouldn't even be disagreeable with established canon as far as Smith being 11, because of the dialogue at the end where Smith said "You didn't do it in the name of the DOCTOR" which leads me to believe that, Time Lord regeneration or not, you don't count as a continuation of that specific Time Lord unless you maintain the promise you make when you take your name.

The spoilerish rumors (I don't know if they were actual spoilers or people speculating on what had been spoiled.) said John Hurt was playing a regeneration that happened between McGann and Eccleston that later Doctors had "forgotten" about. And I agree with most of the spoiler thread that thought it sucked to just stuff a hidden regeneration in there with no warning.

But a regeneration that did something to cause other Doctors (or maybe just Eleven) to strip him of his title? I love that idea. There's definitely enough darkness in him as a whole to do something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, at least Tennant knows a good photobomb opportunity when he sees one!

edit:Although that may be shopped in.

Drythe posted:

^^^ That photo is a few years old and the original had no Tennant sadly.

That's not to say Tennant would never photobomb a shot like that. He probably would. So would Matt for that matter.

Oh god, that's how the special's going to start, isn't it? Ten and Rose step out of the Tardis like any episode in Season Two, talk and wander around for a bit, maybe you'll notice a second blue phone box when you rewatch the scene, and then we'll see Eleven pointing and gurning in the background like he's wont to do.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 22, 2013

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

I think part of it was also how we first heard of this. The original poo poo spoilers said Hurt was a "forgotten" incarnation, somehow slipped in between McGann and Eccleston. It comes across like a slap in the face that Nine, Ten, and Eleven would all forget something like a regeneration in one of the most pivotal and defining moments in the Doctor's life. But that's not how it came across on screen at all.

I'm now with those that love the idea that later Doctors think Hurt's incarnation is unworthy of the name. The best part is we're not even sure all the later Doctors agree on that; we've only heard it from Eleven. Maybe Ten disagrees and we'll find out in the special.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
That kind of round mantle to the left of the Dalek in the second picture looks like it could be Gallifreyan. John Hurt is the Time War Doctor.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the news about Romana being cast in big finish audios

I think it has been mentioned, here or the main thread. Or maybe IRC.

It's the first time I've seen the costume, though. Love it. Imagine her showing up like that on the show, with half the viewers not knowing who she is. Something else we can wish was a clever cover for the show.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, the show did the same thing with Gwen, Martha, and (I think?) Amy, so it makes sense they'd keep the trend up.

I don't think they mentioned Amy's Roman life in the show at all.

computer parts posted:

If this is what people were bitching over a few pages back it seems harmless. It's just "The Doctor can use other people as inspiration for his next form if he so chooses".

Romana did this exact thing when she regenerated.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'd like to know how they fit Frobisher in. I don't know how the Doctor would find out about that, but Frobisher did seem like a decent guy placed forced into a shitpile of a situation.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aatrek posted:

I would love to see Donna and 13 share the screen.

"I'm Spartacus."
"No, I'm Spartacus."

I was about to discount that until I saw she was in the interview, too. I'm still not sure if I believe it, though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, he managed to both channel Troughton and make it his own. I know a lot people have some issues with the Tennant hears, but I'm really glad to see him back and it's great that he had the opportunity to work with Matt Smith. :)

When Hurt Doctor says, "I'm looking for the Doctor," the way Tennant replies with "Well, you've certainly come to the right place" is vintage Ten. I knew Ten and Eleven playing off of each other would be good, but this looks amazing. Just look at how they both prop their feet up on the table.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I get the impression that this is going to be a large part of everyone's commentary on the minisode from now on. An unashamed :neckbeard:

I thought it would grow old after the fifth time, but every person that comes into the thread with "HOLY loving poo poo PAUL MCGANN" makes me grin.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Astroman posted:

We hear a TARDIS in the background but 10 and 11 are arguing/fawning over each other too loudly for them to notice. 9 walks into the background, sees the two of them, mouths "NOPE!" and gets back into his TARDIS and leaves.

If they did get him to record new lines, I hope one of them is something along the lines of "Are these my successors, a clown and a dandy?"

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

McDragon posted:

So have they finally managed to put a lid on the spoiler pot? Keeping 13 loving Doctors under wraps is impressive. They just have to gag Tom Baker next time. :v:

I find it hilarious that even after he said it, him showing up was a surprise because everyone had assumed he was just being Tom Baker when he said he was in the 50th.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Varance posted:

So basically, the Time Lords use the cracks in the universe caused by the TARDIS going boom in S5 as a way to reach out of their pocket dimension to give the Doctor additional regenerations, in order to ensure that their last chance at restoration remains alive.

We still don't know what caused the Tardis to go boom, do we?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

chachu posted:

At 0:37, is that the shot of him opening his door in The God Complex? (Augh, please don't revisit that and ruin it.)

Yes, that is what it is. I don't know why it's there, though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Bicyclops posted:

A few news sources are reporting that Peter Capaldi will face off against the Daleks early in his run.

I'm sure you're all shocked that there's gambling going on in this establishment.

The story I'm hearing on Twitter is the BBC or somebody wanted to give Daleks a rest for the season and Capaldi said he wanted them, so we're getting Daleks.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Mortanis posted:

I would do unspeakable things if it guaranteed an 8/12 two Doctor special. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a regular episode, which probably means a webisode of some type, which means probably a few minutes at best.

I'll take it.

Before the end of last year, was anybody expecting a webisode of Eight that would be part of the new series? It's a brave new world out there.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Chairman Capone posted:

So apparently the second episode is going to involve the Daleks? I was kind of hoping to not see them again for a while.

Peter Capaldi wanted some loving Daleks, so we're getting some loving Daleks.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

What I'm seeing in the thread is taking me to that point. I'll still watch, but I'm agreeing with everyone else that a change in the show's direction would be good. More wacky monkeycheese Doctor for the sake of wacky monkeycheese Doctor, more "The Doctor doesn't need romantic entanglements (but we're going to tease shipping him anyway)", more Mysteries That Will Never Fully Be Explained. It makes much more sense for River Song to be the one giving Clara the Doctor's number in Bells of St. John than some "evil" River we've never met. poo poo, we already had an evil River and she was wasted in the space of one episode (Let's Kill Hitler).

I do want to see Capaldi as the Doctor, though. When I read the following bit, I instantly pictured him in the scene and not Matt Smith. I take that as one good sign.

your evil twin posted:

THE DOCTOR
Clara, what is happening right now, in this restaurant, to you and me, is more important than your egomania.

CLARA
Nothing is more important than my egomania!!

THE DOCTOR
... Right, you actually said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Burkion posted:

Because if the script is a piece of poo poo then all you can hope for is the actors to be able to polish the poo poo so you won't notice as much.

In the end, though, it's still a piece of poo poo.

This is NOT in reference to any series 8 scripts, for the record-I have not personally read them. This is just how scripts work. If you have terrible writing, you have a terrible show. Actors can only do so much.

For instance, half of Tennant's episodes! Okay, maybe not that many, but you get my point.

• Locked thread