Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5990 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


You were not abnormally hungry as a younger child and Aaron, who is between 10 to 15ish years older than you seems to have a comparable appetite to you. Barkof and Tudiya do not share his ridiculous appetite, nor Ishamal or his cadre.

As to Ishat, any information you do know in response to that question, if any, is limited to information posted in the thread already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

Screw you OP, ain't nobody gonna change my avatar.

Ask: What do you know of art?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

I want to ask a potentially foolish question that might require a mini-vote, but I think it's worth asking.

'I am Enkidel, spawn of Asherah. But I only wish to serve El and Zepath. Do I have your blessing, son of Labaras?'

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

Zybourne Clock posted:

I want to ask a potentially foolish question that might require a mini-vote, but I think it's worth asking.

'I am Enkidel, spawn of Asherah. But I only wish to serve El and Zepath. Do I have your blessing, son of Labaras?'

I'm for this, but with "raised by Tudiya as a son" added on after the spawn of Asherah line.

Diogines posted:

You were not abnormally hungry as a younger child and Aaron, who is between 10 to 15ish years older than you seems to have a comparable appetite to you. Barkof and Tudiya do not share his ridiculous appetite, nor Ishamal or his cadre.

As to Ishat, any information you do know in response to that question, if any, is limited to information posted in the thread already.

Aaron is obviously of Asherah as well.

But yeah, Ishat=sun god of the Kadmonim according to Sogol's sheet. Which makes this poo poo really interesting.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


Zybourne Clock posted:

I want to ask a potentially foolish question that might require a mini-vote, but I think it's worth asking.

'I am Enkidel, spawn of Asherah. But I only wish to serve El and Zepath. Do I have your blessing, son of Labaras?'
If I was at home I would MS paint the following word in a size 100, ridiculous font with a question mark the end end. Sadly I am not at home.

Minivote?

Do you actually say this?



Jazzy. It does not answer your question.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

No.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

Changing my vote on minivote from yes to no. Though the addendum I suggested is still what we need.

Here's why: We have Ishamal, who knows what we are generally, and Jalitha. They can answer our questions, or Azzazel when we get a goat. Ishamal will likely be fine with telling us what we are once we tell him about our sweet bargaining with Azzazel and retroactively naming ourselves to Zepa's bloodline.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.




I'm saying no to asking because I'm pretty sure we are going to get a better explanation by putting our hand into the indentation. That and the obelisk is not happy about Asherah, and may not like us after claiming we are a spawn of Asherah, metaphorically or literally.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

SerSpook posted:

I'm for this, but with "raised by Tudiya as a son" added on after the spawn of Asherah line.

Perhaps it's better to place that addition before 'spawn of Asherah', just in case the obelisk explodes in anger and fires a lightning bolt at us immediately after we tell it about our heritage.

This idea becomes worse and worse the more I think about it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.




How about :
'I am Enkidel, formerly Og, saved from Asherah, and raised by Tudiyah. But I only wish to serve El and Zepath. Do I have your blessing, son of Labaras?'

e: I will vote yes to say this, obviously.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

HiHo ChiRho posted:

How about :
'I am Enkidel, formerly Og, saved from Asherah, and raised by Tudiyah. But I only wish to serve El and Zepath. Do I have your blessing, son of Labaras?'

Yeah let's ask this instead actually. So I vote to ask this.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh


Yeah no to telling the obelisk that we might be descended from Asherah.

I was a bit worried by this line of thought, but recall who sent us here in the first place. I think we'll be okay with putting our hand in and writing our name; Tudiya probably wouldn't have gambled on our discretion to bring us to this area.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Is Ishamal the son of Aish and Amalit? Or perhaps he's Aish himself.

Stick our hand in the palmprint. I bet we come out with an extra finger!

No on the minivote.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2013 around 22:05

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Minivote: Aw hell no.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diog posted:

"Labaras and his sons built their cities as far as they could push back their accursed foes. We had hoped there might be more further south, perhaps, far further, there may be still. We hoped to find them. It seems Zepath truly is the edge of the world. Such places cannot often be freed, for the unholy horrors keep a close eye not far at all from the lands of our cities, waiting as we decline.

Some few can be saved. I know one child we saved a few years ago. It was a risk, to snatch the boy before the demon was roused, from a servant of one of the demons no less, but it seems to have worked, though we were forced to flee swiftly, before the demon was roused and gave chase. The sky went dark in it's anger almost at once." - Tudiya

Doesn't say 'who' we are exactly, but makes the claim Asherah was not exactly happy with the proceedings. My interpretation previously was all that was based on Sushem's mojo, but maybe not.

No on the mini vote. The intelligence in the stone may not be very great in and of itself. It is or will be (with the hand thing) very clear about who we are (perhaps clearer than we are about the question). If it cannot sense that itself then I do not trust it's intelligence making fine distinctions. We might not be keen on getting smote by a marker stone triggered by a name.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

No: Rock will kill us.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


The minivote fails. Voting is closed. Starting the update.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


The voice from the Obelisk scares Snarls, who hides behind, you clearly afraid. You placed a reassuring hand on his back and say "Don't worry boy, have faith."

Snarls gives you a somewhat hesitant look, hesitant by dog standards, but seems to have calmed down a bit.

The weariness of the day and your efforts is still heavy upon you, laying down right here, right now and just going to sleep would be.... won-... won.... won-*YAWN*-...derful, but you stay awake, for now. You pick up the golden stylus from the small table beside the Obelisk.





You raise the stylus and write onto the side of the obelisk, in the golden box which has appeared on it's side. You see row upon row of names, the offspring of Zepath, staring down at you from their lofty vantage point about you....





The surface in the indicated area is like the softest of clay and you write with little resistance, ripples passing through the surface of the material and spreading across the obelisk as you do, but not disturbing the other names.

"Enkidel, son of Tudiya by Pledge - Snarls"


The monument lay silent, the light continues to shine. You take a weary step towards the altar and placed your hand into the hand shaped indentation in the altar. As you do, the surface of the altar changes, a stone hand reaches out and grabs your hand in one swift movement.





1. You....
A. Panic!
B. Try to pull away!
C. Scream.
D. Pray(to who?)
E. Ask Snarls for help!
F. Wait calmly and see what happens next.
G. Say something. Specify what.
H. Try to bash the hand as hard as you can.
I. Try to grab a rock or tell Snarls to get a rock and try to bash yourself free.
J. Shake hands.
K. Something else, fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2013 around 23:23

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

D to El.

I think this is natural as well, or something that may normally happen. It's only grabbing our hand, and is a hand as well, when I think if it wanted to kill us or something it'd do something differently. Also, Zepa's line is known by deeds, and I think praying to El is the type of reaction that would be expected.

eta: Maybe it's giving us another finger

SerSpook fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2013 around 23:09

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.





Pray pray pray!

e: Also K. I want to tell Snarls "Be brave boy, and stay close by. I will be back."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2013 around 23:14

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions



Well poo poo. Nothing to do but pray to El and try to remain calm (for we know we have done nothing wrong). D + F

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.


College Slice

J, shake the hand politely.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

J, shake the hand politely.

I'd like to do this as well, as a secondary action to our praying.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

J Shake on the contract.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nettle Soup posted:

J, shake the hand politely.

This +1

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

Screw you OP, ain't nobody gonna change my avatar.

J shake hands.

But do it right

jazzyhattrick fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2013 around 23:29

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

too tired to be surprised. We'll worry if it starts punching us in the gnads.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh


J Be polite! Grip hard, unless you want to be seen as a weakling!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009

Labaras went into the wilds and brought Enkidu food and then, brought him a slave from the Temple of El, to um... shall we say, gentle him.



Smellrose

Nettle Soup posted:

J, shake the hand politely.

Voting this.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

F

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006



Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

J Be polite! Grip hard, unless you want to be seen as a weakling!

That works for me

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic


Diog, what is the normal greeting of Zepath? Do men shake hands when they meet? If so, J.

Otherwise, F

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


ShotgunWillie posted:

Diog, what is the normal greeting of Zepath? Do men shake hands when they meet?

They clasp wrists if they are strangers, especially if they are from other cities and hands if they are friends, family or trusted business acquaintances.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

J, while D. Shake hands, pray to El that we're doing it right. Maybe mutter "Nice to meet you, Zepa-Obelisk."

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

They clasp wrists if they are strangers, especially if they are from other cities and hands if they are friends, family or trusted business acquaintances.

Changing my vote (good question):

J if the forearm thing is possible.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Well, I was going to go F, or really anything that isn't just instantly begging El (or anything) to work poo poo out for us, but sure, J sounds fun.

Nthing J.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007


You shake hands with the stoney hand and you feel a prick across the edge of each of your fingers. After a moment, the hand lets go. With a sound like stone grinding upon stone, both the altar and the stone small table sink into the ground.

A voice once again comes from the obelisk, though not as booming and loud. The light atop the obelisk grows and lessens in intensity and seems to be in synch with the voice.

"These Are The Laws And Ordinances Which You Shall Keep To You And Keep Among Your People For All Generations."

The voice has a strange physical quality, almost as if you could reach out and touch them. You have been waiting for this opportunity and this time you do reach out and try to touch them. You cannot see them, but you do indeed touch them, you can feel them in your grasp, though unseen to your eyes and as you do, the speech becomes slowed, your teeth rattle in your mouth and you can hear the voice in their vibrations.

Yooouuuuu shaaallllll nooooooooot....

The tighter you grip the invisible substance, the slower the speech and the more your teeth rattle. Finally when you let go, your teeth cease to rattle and the voice has a normal speed again.

....climb the Mountain while you still desire to live for it is the Demesne of the Dead. Yet when you tire of life and your Struggle grows too great and yet you triumph over all foes before you and perish not, then and only then, climb the Mountain and know you will not descend again.

There will be no endless bondage among you and you will hold none of your brothers, fathers or sons in bondage for more than 50 years, nor the brothers, sons and fathers of your brothers, sons nor fathers.

You will not drink the blood of any man, nor eat of the flesh of any man, nor roast, nor cook, nor consume it in any manner or mixture.

You will not use a man, living, nor dead, nor the flesh nor the blood of any man as a sacred offering, nor a furtive offering, nor shall you use it in a Qorban for any other purpose.

You will not use the flesh nor blood nor spirit of any man for sorcery for I swear unto you, it is seen by They Who Watch and- the voice grows louder an the trees begin to shake, Snarls runs behind you, afraid, the light of the obelisk turns to flame and burns brightly and with great heat



-JUSTICE SHALL DESCEND UPON YOU IN FIREY VENGEANCE AND WITH GREAT WRATH, FURY AND ANGER IMMOLATE YOU, YOUR OFFSPRING EVEN UNTO THE FINAL GENERATION, YOUR LAND AND ALL OF YOUR WORKS LEAVING NOT EVEN DUST.

The fire atop the obelisk fades and is once again simply a bright light.

As you would do with a man who lives or one who is dead, you shall do with a Grigori, nor shall you consume their flesh, nor blood, nor use them in a Qorban, nor for sorcery, the Grigori and all others such as they.

Do not lay with your mother, nor your daughters, nor their daughters, through all generations.

Do no injury to any fruit bearing tree.

Do not Destroy.

With that, the Obelisk goes silent.

You are rather tired, but you can probably stay awake for a bit if you force yourself to, but sleeping would be just... just wonderful right here, right now. Based on your rather good hearing, you can be fairly sure there are no monsters or large beasts in the woods, at least, not close by, but there may be some deeper in. The forest you are in sits atop a hill and from what you saw from a distance, it contains a few hundred trees and probably does not cover more than a few square miles, at most.

As you recall, the more tropical forests in which you once lived are about two weeks south of you and even then, another two months on foot till Athar. According to Tudiya when you asked, the sea is also two weeks west.

You are about 9 days away from Zepath now and Tudiya told you to not return without an offering worthy of El, he also told you not return in less than a month. 22 days to go at an absolute minimum, if you intended to arrive back as soon as possible. Though your trip with Tudiya took a week, the last 5 of those 7 days you walked through arid scrubland with little food or water. If you intended to return the way you came, you wouod have to deal with 5 days of land you are very unlikely to successfully forage in. Tudiya told you to work at it for as long as it took, till you had an offering worthy of El, so you may even need to spend more than a month out here.

Several problems present themselves to you....

Safety from the monsters you know to exist in the wilderness.
Water.
Food.
Somehow getting and storing enough food for the trip back to Zepath, or finding some way to forage food and water along the way, a rather difficult prospect.
Finding an offering worthy of El.

Cattle and other livestock are a traditional offering to El, as well as grain and wine but Tudiya was not explicit. The doing of mighty deeds and bits from monsters also make fine offerings, as well as rare and valuable works of artistry.

Before we get into the nitty gritty of your chosen path, we need to decide your overall plan....

1. What do you hope to bring back an offering?
A. I will try to find something rare and valuable out here. I will return to Zepath, buy a cow with what I find and sacrafice that.

B. Same as B, but I hope to find something REALLY valluable and bring a whole herd of cattle for sacrafice!

C. I am going to search for strange and exotic fruits in the forests of my birth as an offering to El.

D. I am going monster hunting. The slaying of a beast(s) will be my offering.

E. I am going monster hunting. Monster bits will be my offering.

F. I will make some sort of fantastical work of art as an offering to El.

G. I will do what Tudiya did and pledge to serve El my whole life.

H. I have a different pledge which I think is a suitably good offering to El. Having spent lots of time with Tudiya and Ishamal, I have a pretty good idea if an oath is good enough, I can ask Diog for input.

I. I take up Azzazel on his offer. He is such a nice guy that he offered to help me out, so I will ask him to give me something good for an offering.

J. I will pray to El for an offering.

K. J, and, I will fast and not drink water.

L. J, and, I sacrafice Snarls to El to show I mean business

M. Come to think of it, skip J. When we get back to Zepath, I sacrafice Snarls. That will show Tudiya how serious I am, by giving up my beloved pet.

N. Something else. Fill in.




2. Bringing Snarls was either a brilliant idea because his nose in some ways helps to make up for my complete lack of wilderness survival skills, OR I was just drat lucky. Either way, I need to figure out how I am going to survive out here....

O. I am going to stay in the small forest I am in now. I will set up a shelter and work on my offering to El as best as I can here.

P. I remember walking through this baren stretch of land when I first came to Zepath from Athar. I do not recognize this EXACT forest, but I know that the land is going to get wetter and more hospitable the further south I go. I have no idea what I am doing as far as foraging goes, but with Snarls help I might be able to find food and water along the way. I am headed to the forests which contain Athar, two weeks further south.

Q. It has been years, but I still know how to spear fish like a pro. I am going to make for the coast with Snarls.

R. I pray for food and water to sustain me.

S. Something else. Fill in.


3. How do I plan to get back to Zepath, when I am ready? My thirst is not too immense, but I eat about six meals a day...

T. I will try to somehow get enough food and containers for food and water, to walk back to Zepath the way I came.

U. I will go to the coast and walk up the coast till I see the river which I think flows from Zepath, then follow the river, fishing and drinking from it along the way.

V. I will go to the coast and walk up the coast till I see the river I think flows from Zepath, I will build a boat and then take the boat up river. I have never built a boat or done any real carpentry before, but I will do my best to pick together a raft or something.

W. I will ask Azzazel for help.

X. El will provide. I rely on the power of prayer to see me through.

Y. The Ophanim will provide. I pray to them for help.

Fill in option: I have another idea on how to survive the trip back, which does not involve a great deal of reliance on wildernes survival skills to find food and water because my knowledge of those particular skills are fairly limited.




4. Screw all of the above, I am not doing this test, I....(Only pick this option if you decide to blow off the test)
4-A. Screw this test. I am going back to Zepath, without looking for an offering for El. Tudiya will be upset, but Danal will always be my buddy, I'll be Danal's slave in a few years anyway and then I won't have to put up with suicidal bullshit like this test from Tudiya.

4-B. Screw this test AND screw Zepath. I am going to go strike it off on my own and never return to Zepath.

4-C. Screw this test AND screw Zepath. I am returning to Athar, the village of my birth. Uncle Jorah is waiting for me and though years have passed, I know he would NEVER reject with... if the village was not destroyed.

4-D. Screw this test. I am going back to Zepath and go join the monster hunters at the Temple of the Melachim. Bareen won't care in the slightest if I blow this test off, I am in pretty good shape and I know they will hire anyone to go become an adventurer!

4-E. Screw this test. The witch Indor told me I had a natural talent for magic and she said I would return to her one day, turns out, sooner than I expected. I return to accept her offer. Yer a wizerd, 'arry! Er.... well, you want to be one, Enkidel.

4-F. Screw this test and screw Zepath. I am going to one of the other cities, northeast of Zepath. With my dark skin, I can probably pass myself off as some descendant of Enkidu!

4-G. Screw this test and screw Zepath. I return to Zepath to fetch my mother and then together, we will make our way to the place of her birth, Baitel.

I do not seriously expect any question 4 option to have any chance, but you are not on any rails here, your fate and your story is your own. Just because Tudiya gave you this test, does not mean you must do it. There is a world of possibilities before you!

Diogines fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2013 around 14:40

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006



Grimey Drawer

C, Q, U

Time to confront our demonic father/not-father!

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012


2Q 3 U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS

Grimey Drawer


Spreadsheet up.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5990 »