Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Wait. Let's ask indor. Great idea.

Ask indor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Time to reconcile with indor? The thread should weigh in.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

The thread should weigh in.

oh dear god no

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I'm pretty sure we're already on Urderrall since we sleep like 5 minutes a night and ask WAY TOO MANY QUESTIONS about poo poo that grabs our attention.

We should try and set Ish and Indor up on a date. And use the Ishring to be able to talk him through flirting since it's been so long.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Eat indor
Become Ashera

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
We should make an arrow in the shape of seaweed cakes and shoot ourselves in the face

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
When did I ask a question? I mostly just lurk the thread these days and mutter about team boring under my breath while eating cheetos raw human flesh

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Basscop posted:

We should make an arrow in the shape of seaweed cakes and shoot ourselves in the face

HUNGER

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Slaan posted:

When did I ask a question? I mostly just lurk the thread these days and mutter about team boring under my breath while eating cheetos raw human flesh

I think they mean you asked the question all those years ago about the nature of the club that got Ishamal to explain it was meant to be aspirational.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Looks like it was 2 and a half years ago. Right after the Jubilee!

Slaan posted:

Would your gift-club survive such an attack as at Tanaach, just like my sandals did?

Olothreutes posted:

I think they mean you asked the question all those years ago about the nature of the club that got Ishamal to explain it was meant to be aspirational.

^^^^Yeah!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Did Ishamal disappear for months for no apparent reason during these seven years?

Did Aaron or any of the other Mghty Men?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well that's weird. I'm with team Plausible Deniability on this one. He's clearly not in any way angry or upset with us, which he has been when we've inadvertently done awful things in the past. (Stoning Hagar, for example.) And I can't think of any reason at all why his usual lack of reaction would give anything more away here than it has every other time we've asked him about something. It might be that he'd have some physiological reaction to the arrow that would give away important information, but that seems unlikely and I'd expect in that case the PtB would just confiscate the arrow. And the fact that we seem to be advancing more slowly in our training, and that he seems to be hiding something from us there as well, backs the theory up.

The interesting question is why. It definitely signals he wants us to continue "experimenting" along these lines - if he didn't then he'd have been (or pretended to be) visibly upset, and there's a good chance that we'd have stopped just from that. Maybe he's even been training us this way specifically in the hope that we'd develop this talent. But if we keep going, we're going to grow in power and it will be more likely that this power is spotted by the PtB, and we're constantly being Watched anyway. It's really weird. I think after the Jubilee, if we're both still alive, we should spend some time carefully questioning him - trying not to ask anything overtly dangerous and to come up with ways for him to signal that it's not safe to answer.

As an aside, on a meta level, I think from the fact that Diog hasn't opened this up to a vote or just shown him the arrow without asking, we can infer that showing Ishamal the arrow would be a very irreversible thing. Maybe not bad, but not something to be done lightly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Should I :f5: yet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crazycryodude posted:

Always be :f5:-ing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I still think Ish got Intervened On. Nobody acts eerie like that unless something else is looking and makes it happen, or unless they set it up to happen ahead of time.

I think this means that even if you're unfathomably old and advanced in knowledge and skill, there's still gonna be someone over you that you will be subject to in some way. Ish is I think a regular-ish (huhuhuh ha) human. I don't know what this means for us or for our guys. We have people below us and we were accidentally brain waving them.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

pumpinglemma posted:

Well that's weird. I'm with team Plausible Deniability on this one. He's clearly not in any way angry or upset with us, which he has been when we've inadvertently done awful things in the past. (Stoning Hagar, for example.) And I can't think of any reason at all why his usual lack of reaction would give anything more away here than it has every other time we've asked him about something. It might be that he'd have some physiological reaction to the arrow that would give away important information, but that seems unlikely and I'd expect in that case the PtB would just confiscate the arrow. And the fact that we seem to be advancing more slowly in our training, and that he seems to be hiding something from us there as well, backs the theory up.

The interesting question is why. It definitely signals he wants us to continue "experimenting" along these lines - if he didn't then he'd have been (or pretended to be) visibly upset, and there's a good chance that we'd have stopped just from that. Maybe he's even been training us this way specifically in the hope that we'd develop this talent. But if we keep going, we're going to grow in power and it will be more likely that this power is spotted by the PtB, and we're constantly being Watched anyway. It's really weird. I think after the Jubilee, if we're both still alive, we should spend some time carefully questioning him - trying not to ask anything overtly dangerous and to come up with ways for him to signal that it's not safe to answer.

As an aside, on a meta level, I think from the fact that Diog hasn't opened this up to a vote or just shown him the arrow without asking, we can infer that showing Ishamal the arrow would be a very irreversible thing. Maybe not bad, but not something to be done lightly.
I will be posting a vote about it, in a few hours. I will post the most popular theories and ask you which you think is right. How you deal with the situation going forward will depend on what you think the situation actually is.

Crazycryodude posted:

No. Give me about 4 hours?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm convinced Ish is actually subject to brain surgery like everyone else, and it's common in Ur if you're in certain circles. There are many kinds from mind reading to memory blocks to direct intervention and control of actions. It can be done to animals and people and us. "Command Animals" may or may not be related or similar.

The arguments for this being real:
  • It's common enough that Ish gave us fruit juice to prevent it (up to a certain strength of influence)
  • It happened to us with 7 birb
  • It happened a little less invasively with Amok just doing a scan
  • It happened when Dad scanned a Bnaimokt even
  • It happened to Pabel with our ok
  • It happened to us with the Orm
  • It happened to us directly after the Orm when El removed the Ormfluence
  • It happens to gloss over question time when we ask about certain things
  • It happens to gloss over Gebeborim when they think of olden days
  • It happened when we told everyone to shut up during the heretic fighting
  • It almost started to happen when we noticed we were passively reading minds
  • When it happens to people they tend to get "glassy eyed" or have weird "mechanical" behaviors
  • Ishmal has exhibited "glossy" eerie-brained behaviors on some rare occasions.

Therefore Ishmal is also subject to brain intrusions. He may have even agreed to it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The thing with our well feeling somewhat incorrect or measuring a different kind of "strength" is actually really interesting as well. I think it's measuring like our STRENGTH-strength and not muscles.

I also will never think the whole "you're the greatest" is a good idea and I think it's actually a super bad sign. Didn't it happen on the retcon where we didn't get the dove-tablet, but we did get the "True" tales all nicely edited and spread all over?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Excellent name for it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm convinced Ish is actually subject to brain surgery like everyone else, and it's common in Ur if you're in certain circles. There are many kinds from mind reading to memory blocks to direct intervention and control of actions. It can be done to animals and people and us. "Command Animals" may or may not be related or similar.

The arguments for this being real:
  • It's common enough that Ish gave us fruit juice to prevent it (up to a certain strength of influence)
  • It happened to us with 7 birb
  • It happened a little less invasively with Amok just doing a scan
  • It happened when Dad scanned a Bnaimokt even
  • It happened to Pabel with our ok
  • It happened to us with the Orm
  • It happened to us directly after the Orm when El removed the Ormfluence
  • It happens to gloss over question time when we ask about certain things
  • It happens to gloss over Gebeborim when they think of olden days
  • It happened when we told everyone to shut up during the heretic fighting
  • It almost started to happen when we noticed we were passively reading minds
  • When it happens to people they tend to get "glassy eyed" or have weird "mechanical" behaviors
  • Ishmal has exhibited "glossy" eerie-brained behaviors on some rare occasions.

Therefore Ishmal is also subject to brain intrusions. He may have even agreed to it.

I disagree.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How hot are the flames we can produce? Can we make them hot enough to forge an arrow?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

How hot are the flames we can produce? Can we make them hot enough to forge an arrow?
About as hot as a campfire.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Diogines posted:

About as hot as a campfire.

Can we do the telekinesis and pyrokinesis simultaneously to cook steaks in mid-air as a party trick?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I had a huge post here but I'm gonna just say that I'm pretty sure Ishamal just can't teach us about the arrow stuff yet, if ever, because it'll fundamentally change our relationship. I think he's not ready to change it before we master the lessons we are in right now, that is to say, controlling our abilities that are more mental than physical.

In fact, if we look at Ishamal's training, seems to me that we are basically at square one of an entirely new skill tree right now? The first one opened up with surges of great strength and arrow time and involved HUNGER as an end state if we failed the lessons. Apparently that is not a risk anymore, at least unless we do it on purpose. We gradually learned a variety of powers and abilities starting with seemingly useless exercises like not breathing. We gradually learned new skills, ending in total invulnerability at a great cost to ourselves. Most of these skills had blatantly physical effects or involved our body in some way, with the possible exception of body ownership which was more a detour due to our accidental astral projection skills.

Now we are accidentally mind reading people and have a possibility of accidentally mind controlling or wiping them. We are also in a constant state of deja vu due to precognition developing swiftly. Seems similar, if not directly the same, as when we'd accidentally arrow time and stuff. We feel like Ishamal is doing the same training as always, and he certainly is, but we are also down from two nasty tasting concoctions a day to one, so obviously we are growing in control even if we aren't directly learning anything. The training is still being beaten as well, and according to Ishamal, pain a tool to focus the mind. Also seems to help with invulnerability power.

So I think we've reached the end of the basic physical tree and entered the basic mental tree, but we just showed up with something from the crafting tree. It is probably not a dangerous path to follow so long as we follow the strictures from the physical skills, so rather than being forced to fundamentally change our training schedule he just ignores it best he can until we can turn in that direction? But with that understanding, we gotta avoid the seemingly more dangerous stuff, like using anything from ourselves or humans in the crafting of such.

Or maybe he'd be forced to let someone else teach us if we made the arrows.

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
Diog,

Are we able to distinguish between our natural strength/fitness and our supernatural strength related to [???]?

Are the times the club has felt lighter correlated with times we have felt or looked more physically impressive?

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

No, no, no. We're looking at this Ishamal + Arrow thing all wrong.

Remember the giant bird at Tanaach? And remember how Ishamal said he fought on the Jubilee?

The giant bird WAS ISHAMAL! And he's sad that we killed a bunch of eagles to make an implement of war.

Simple.

As.

That.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think the oddity in Asahel's gift to us, our "well" messages, is just it finally showing its limitations to us. Ishamal told us for decades that the well analogy was wrong and that we don't have a well and there's nothing in it. It's a metaphor that was good enough at the time, and one that the messages are inherently built around. But our power isn't just water in a space, and the interpretations coming from our well-o-meter are couched in this incorrect analogy by nature. If we assume that "well water" is nephesh, there's nothing to say that increasing nephesh always leads to increasing physical strength. If the message is meant to be a direct correlation between the amount of nephesh and our strength but we begin to taper off in physical strength while continuing to gain nephesh and new abilities that come from the excess, the numbers don't match anymore. Don't use a correlation outside its proven ranges, basically.

For example, let's say our physical strength stops around 650 dude-equivalents. We have enough nephesh now that if we continued to grow we'd be at 694, but those last 44 aren't there. We have the nephesh, but it isn't coming through as physical strength so much as it is in other ways that aren't well measured. Our mental abilities, our swiftness or toughness, or our passive effects on the environment. We don't have a status message about how effective our boost (if any) to the fertility of our land and people is. So when nephesh powers those things instead of raw strength we start to get a mismatch between what the numbers say and what actually is.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

No, no, no. We're looking at this Ishamal + Arrow thing all wrong.

Remember the giant bird at Tanaach? And remember how Ishamal said he fought on the Jubilee?

The giant bird WAS ISHAMAL! And he's sad that we killed a bunch of eagles to make an implement of war.

Simple.

As.

That.

So you're saying we should add Ishamal to the arrow

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
An average man of fit build can bench probably 200 pounds. 200 × 650 = 130,000 pounds

Enkidel could bench press a fully loaded modern tank.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If you wish to do so.

Get hype.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

If you wish to do so.

Get hype.

I am always hype.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We punch at 130,000 pounds per square fist.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hyyyyyyype

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Diogines posted:

If you wish to do so.

Get hype.

Y'all motherfuckers better get a heart full of El.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Diogines posted:

If you wish to do so.

Get hype.

Unnessecary instructions.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
:f5:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:f5:

E: drat you TheCog :argh:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If you wish to, moderate your hype to expend it evenly over the next 30 minutes or so, going to need a bit more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

If you wish to, moderate your hype to expend it evenly over the next 30 minutes or so, going to need a bit more time.

there are no breaks on this hype train sorry