Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I voted to kill and eat Jalithia to make fish dad happy. In my defense I was hungry unaware of the world beyond 5 year old Enkidel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Did u vote to hurt Snarls

That was probably me, although it wasn't a vote and more of a vignette.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Enkidel is arguing with Ishamal about whether to get spiritually neutered. In frustration, Ishamal cries out "If I am right and Enkidel's progeny will spell disaster for Ur, let the river in Zepath flow backwards!" And lo, Zepath's river does reverse it's course! Enkidel looks at this and says "Yeah, but what does that have to do with my inalienable rights?"

Ishamal gets frustrated again and yells out "If I am right and Enkidel's children will cause him unimaginable grief, let this profane and wicked tree he planted in his garden get up and walk away!" And it does! Enkidel sees the tree leave and shakes his head. "Walking trees are not the arbiters of a sentient being's free will."

Finally, Ish flips out. "If I am right and Enkidel's descendants will bring ruin to all of Ur," he cries, "Let Smatass himself bring his wholy wrath down!" And Lo! A mighty greatsword descends from the heavens and strikes down Tanaach! A vast mushroom cloud replaces the city, as Smatass himself descends to land in front of Enkidel. "Ishamal is right, Enkidel." Smatass says. "Make yourself humble and prostrate yourself before El."

Enkidel looks at Smatass and says "Oh yeah? What do you know?"

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

MinistryofLard posted:

Enkidel is arguing with Ishamal about whether to get spiritually neutered. In frustration, Ishamal cries out "If I am right and Enkidel's progeny will spell disaster for Ur, let the river in Zepath flow backwards!" And lo, Zepath's river does reverse it's course! Enkidel looks at this and says "Yeah, but what does that have to do with my inalienable rights?"

Ishamal gets frustrated again and yells out "If I am right and Enkidel's children will cause him unimaginable grief, let this profane and wicked tree he planted in his garden get up and walk away!" And it does! Enkidel sees the tree leave and shakes his head. "Walking trees are not the arbiters of a sentient being's free will."

Finally, Ish flips out. "If I am right and Enkidel's descendants will bring ruin to all of Ur," he cries, "Let Smatass himself bring his wholy wrath down!" And Lo! A mighty greatsword descends from the heavens and strikes down Tanaach! A vast mushroom cloud replaces the city, as Smatass himself descends to land in front of Enkidel. "Ishamal is right, Enkidel." Smatass says. "Make yourself humble and prostrate yourself before El."

:colbert: You can't tell me what to do. :agesilaus:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Persecution complex? I believe you mean Perseus complex.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
had a dream where we were tricked by some barnacle-crone into killing somebody who wanted to help us. Sythians or something. Somebody from the north, some chick who was as tall as us. We were so mad at this it was like a new form of emotion

Then the dream left ur returned to the usual nightmares

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MinistryofLard posted:

I hate how accurate this is.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's a sagely lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MinistryofLard posted:

:byodood: "BuT wHaT aBoUt AlL oF tHe IsH lOvErs????"

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

if they're so smart then why is the world so poo poo already? :enkidel:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

if they're so smart then why is the world so poo poo already? :enkidel:

Uh we didn't listen to ish hard enough DUH

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

ArbitraryTA posted:

Persecution complex? I believe you mean Perseus complex.

We passed up on the Gorgon killing powerset unfortunately.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Volmarias posted:

:byodood: "BuT wHaT aBoUt AlL oF tHe IsH lOvErs????"

I don't thjnk theg died with ish :shrug:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Good. Ish was loving useless, especially after he became our only source of lore.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
was it him or someone else who said if we want to know poo poo we need to physically go learn it?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Died from Ish or died with Ish?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

was it him or someone else who said if we want to know poo poo we need to physically go learn it?

Him.
He straight told us "If you go and discover poo poo on your own, I will confirm some of the details and maybe even fill in a few blanks. But I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know or have some prior confirmation of."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

the_steve posted:

Him.
He straight told us "If you go and discover poo poo on your own, I will confirm some of the details and maybe even fill in a few blanks. But I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know or have some prior confirmation of."

It’s the same rules Every works on. If you know it I’ll help you do it better. If not, figure it out first I’m not an Encyclopedia

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what if the balls who went south were able to talk about what they saw down there? Would this improve or damage stability? Change it?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Him.

Also, leaving the confines of Ur will get us inevitably killed/disappeared, so... good luck with that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this is different now. We can simply bless the dudes and send them on hero journeys for us, and the blessings will take because we're all doped up on space juice, we have been working with eg the balls since nearly the start, they are martial heroes of valor, going on a pilgrimage for justice, &c&c

we're really fuckin up tho letting our guys get murderated and disappeared and poo poo, should probably not do that

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
why are people mad about ish, we don't know anything about the restrictions placed on him lol. he's been a staunch ally regardless of anything we did, and we did A LOT a LOT to specifically just mess with him lmao. im not saying he was an ideal mentor and maybe he was just here to clip our wings, but we earnestly have no evidence to support that considering how many other people have been the exact same as he was.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The fundamental issue is that Enkidel is good and wants to help and we have the not just potential but ability to reshape reality. We were raised to be human, we think like a human and, if we interpret the fragments of history, this is a recpie for unimaginable damage. We live in the ruins of probably hundreds of Enkidels. One or our dudes got his throat bit out by the corpse of one.

We are getting tidbits and help and looks behind the curtain out of dire nessecity. Ish did nothing wrong with how he treated us and it's an unspeakable loss that he is not here to help us fight the things that killed him and the Trio.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

why are people mad about ish, we don't know anything about the restrictions placed on him lol. he's been a staunch ally regardless of anything we did, and we did A LOT a LOT to specifically just mess with him lmao. im not saying he was an ideal mentor and maybe he was just here to clip our wings, but we earnestly have no evidence to support that considering how many other people have been the exact same as he was.

Ish was the best, and unfortunately he became the focus of some of our general frustrations with the game. I defy you to re-read just Diog's posts and have anything but warm and fuzzy feelings for Ishamal, especially in retrospect.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Tsyni posted:

Ish was the best, and unfortunately he became the focus of some of our general frustrations with the game. I defy you to re-read just Diog's posts and have anything but warm and fuzzy feelings for Ishamal, especially in retrospect.

I think this is a big part of it. We spent a large part of the game expecting him to be a lore-dispenser and getting increasingly frustrated when he refused to act the part.

Given that the Melachim crew have also adopted the same stance of telling us as little as humanly possible it's now clear that there were both in-universe and out-of-universe reasons for this, but it took a very long time for that to sink in.

Practically there had to be some reason for the ageless mentor figures we are surrounded with not to tell us everything we wanted else this would quickly ceasw to be a CYOA game and instead become a series of exposition dumps that would never end.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I think (hope?) that the general Ish hate broke when we watched Bagar die and then started to get facespiders around the Gebebans. Like, we had been told that knowing things will affect our perception of the world irrevocably. Zebanantha tried to dissuade us, and in retrospect it was very much because he knew exactly what we were because he was one too, because he knew what would happen to us. Knowing certain things has consequences and that sucks for lore-nerds that just want to fuckin know.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think it was Ish's near-constant flatulence. Just the non stop farting every time we had questions with him got old. Just way too much for a mighty man. It was like he was chugging fiber and bean slurry.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

A Terrible Person posted:

Also, leaving the confines of Ur will get us inevitably killed/disappeared, so... good luck with that.

to be fair, we've learned pretty well at this point that we can learn an incredible amount of stuff within the confines of Ur still. Like gently caress just dig down, apparently there's at least one dormant mind controlling evil even in loving baitel so who knows what the hell is going on in Ur

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Z the IVth posted:

Died from Ish or died with Ish?

both

Pladdicus posted:

it wasnt nearly enough

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 7, 2023

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
Ish was very good. I think he did everything he could to help us within the rules that bound him. I suspect he also fudged those rules a number of times to our benefit. My only real regret in regards to ish is that we never got to talk to him between our trip to baitel and now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bob Tuskins posted:

Ish was very good. I think he did everything he could to help us within the rules that bound him. I suspect he also fudged those rules a number of times to our benefit. My only real regret in regards to ish is that we never got to talk to him between our trip to baitel and now.

This stuff isn't subtext, it's just straight up text

People hating on Ish are basically using him as a stand in for the entire melachim bureaucracy and their policies to which he was beholden

Which, well, fair enough I suppose

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

down with the system man!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
He threatened to either kill Enkidel or cut off his balls, joined the trio in threatening to kick him out (or worse) if he didn't conform, and threatened to brutally cut off his wings if he used them in any capacity, then had the temerity to say he did the right thing upon his death.

If he weren't the gatekeeper to this game's entire setting, I think goons would have voted very differently by now.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ehhh I think after meeting Amok all of that is pretty reasonable within the context, plus the alternatives with other PtB isn't exactly better

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah pretty much all of that I file under melachim policy bullshit. Most of it chafed pretty badly but now that Enkidel's been let on the other side of the curtain I can see how a lot worse things could've been if Ish and the Trio weren't constantly running interference for Og on the regular.

If they sucked it's because everything about the situation sucked (especially the hunger demon stuff) and now Enkidel has to deal with the assholes who the old PtB were trying to keep out, the guys who are looking for any excuse to send Enkidel to Superjail and the foreign powers who have various dark or voracious designs on his being.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I am glad Ish is dead and suffering for eternity in a fish belly since it's a direct result of his incompetence and hubris.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I am glad Ish is dead and suffering for eternity in a fish belly since it's a direct result of his incompetence and hubris.

:hai: HUNGER triumphed over ish.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

ehhh I think after meeting Amok all of that is pretty reasonable within the context, plus the alternatives with other PtB isn't exactly better

If rose tinted glasses are allowed, then Ish telling Enkidel about what happened with Amok would have been a way better means to approach the issue. Even if it meant Enkidel would go out there and wake him up still, we never saw the consequences of his waking up and therefore it would have been the correct decision. No threats of violence necessary and Ish would have actually earned his status as a wise man.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Not emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Are we still Ish posting even after the poor guy is dead.

He was this 5000 year old dude who talks to angels on the reg and is maybe one himself, and he saw someone from a long lineage of "I'm the main character and the world exists for my benefit! Everything should cater to me and my powers make it so the world has to do that anyway! Now watch me gently caress up the world utterly!" type people is suddenly show up and start going "I should know all the secrets and answers at all times because I'm the main character and it's frustrating not being told literally everything about everything, also teach me how to alter reality to my benefit because I want reality to be whatever I want it to be and I deserve it and I am great and my desires deserve to be brought to fruition,"

Is it surprising that Ish, seeing that, would be slightly hesistant to break several NDAs and put us on 30 different black-bag-immediately lists so he could satisfy our curiosity of something and woops now that we know it we've lost control of our divine half and have mindslaved all of Zepath it's fine it's fine.

... okay that SAID, him holding back SOME information was pretty drat dumb though. I wasn't around for breathgate and I wouldn't have voted for it probably, because when I was reading blind the first time the decision seemed insane to me? but like. He could have at least told us "oh, yeah, if you overexert yourself you will go ravenously hungry and become a WMD and threaten everything you care about" like okay yes maybe that should have been included in our operating manual from the get-go. Liiiike I guess he has said don't overexert yourself but I don't think the "more than this will drive you from reason" was made clear.

But also we're in a society that isn't our modern society and expecting egalitarian answers to everything is pretty out of society for it!

Anyway Ish got the raw deal of a living black hole nuclear bomb showed up and if he even warned the black hole nuclear bomb that it could explode into a black hole then it would know how to do it and it might DO THAT so like, honestly pretty rough situation! If you know someone who has a button they can press to End the World, do you tell them about it and hope they don't press it, or do you try to do everything you can to mislead them from looking at the button too hard?