Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if it is possible to reset the thing so magic water comes out again? It seems automated, not controlled by an active intelligence, so how did it know we were there? How did we qualify for magic water? What made the water go away? Does it spew water for anyone thirsty that happens by, or only for men of Zepath on their manhood ritual, or what?

Tudiya probably didn't do it, because we walked all day and night and never saw him jog past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
8. Grab two sticks and hold them like Tudiya.
9. Closed.
10. N
11. Pass? Not sure the point of this vote.
12. Y.

But if this fails, use the Obelisk as a matchstick.

Also "Hey Obelisk can we have more water"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

8. E.
9. H
10. J
11. Q
12. V

13. I think 'magic' is something which can be learned. I don't necessarily agree with the teachings of the minority temple, but as others have noted, Ishamal has only 5 fingers on each hand. It's possible we're in the same category, given our level of interaction with the supernatural, and he's certainly do things beyond normal. Haven't seen him punch water out of rocks, though.

We did see him punch the Asherah out of us, so he certainly has muscle wizard powers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

8. Grab two sticks and hold them like Tudiya.
9. Closed.
10. N
11. Pass? Not sure the point of this vote.
12. Y.

But if this fails, use the Obelisk as a matchstick.

Also "Hey Obelisk can we have more water"

The obelisk does not respond.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Ask the Obelisk about sorcery again, for science.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

It does not respond.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
8. C
9. I -- To help focus.
10. K -- Tudiya didn't.
11. P -- I as an element of Enkidel's mind thing magic powers would be pretty awesome, and proving Tudiya wrong would be an interesting achievement.
12. V
13. We've been told we have a knack for magic and we keep stumbling into the supernatural. Tudiya might have been lying or simply mistaken about us being unable to do it, or that might have changed since we shook hands with the obelisk. Of course, even if we CAN do this, we might not know all the details needed to make it work.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Ask the obelisk if it is ok to sacrifice human souls in sorcery if you are really desperate.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Zepa if we can please have some more water.

The obelisk says it is Zepa, maybe it wants us to use its name instead of calling it Obelisk all the time?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

How about we ask the obelisk to tell us the laws of Zepa's line.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The obelisk is silent.

The words which floated in light above it when you first arrived remained, but it does not say or do anything else in response to your question.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
8. B. Hold my hand above the wood.

9.I. Closed.

10.L. Pffffft of course I don't.

11.P. I WANT it to work!

I should likely have thought this out when I replied to question 13. But alas, i'm an idiot when I first wake up before my pain pills and coffee kick in.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

SerSpook posted:

So kind of off-topic but not really, what's everyone's plan for the future of Enkidel? Not long run, just for the next few years, what we do.

I'm thinking hanging out with Ishamal and his crew and making sure to spend time with mom. Maybe try to figure out what's going on with us and get Ishamal's opinion on learning magic.

I'd like for Enkidel to try to get to know Keza, and possibly convince Tudiya to offer her her freedom.

Yeah, she's an angry old hag who treats us like dirt. I think I mentioned it before, but she's been a slave for a really long time, far beneath Tudiya's notice. Then along comes a cannibal boy out of the wilderness, a slave like her, except he's showered with praise and treated like the King's personal pet. Eventually the wildboy gets more and more privileges (a royal bedroom!?) while she merely gets older and more tired. Years go slowly by, and now the kid is closer to Tudiya than the King's own son! She hears from another slave that the King will one day give the boy to Danal, who has become both his brother and closest companion; he'd be almost better than free! And, to make matters worse, the bastard'll likely live to be officially freed at the Jubilation, whereas Keza will be long dead, having died miserable in servitude.

I think we should be nicer to her.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oblisk thinks it could out think us. "What about fish gods? Is it ok to sacrifice people to Ashearah?" Then use it as a lighter.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A Terrible Person posted:

I'd like for Enkidel to try to get to know Keza, and possibly convince Tudiya to offer her her freedom.

Yeah, she's an angry old hag who treats us like dirt. I think I mentioned it before, but she's been a slave for a really long time, far beneath Tudiya's notice. Then along comes a cannibal boy out of the wilderness, a slave like her, except he's showered with praise and treated like the King's personal pet. Eventually the wildboy gets more and more privileges (a royal bedroom!?) while she merely gets older and more tired. Years go slowly by, and now the kid is closer to Tudiya than the King's own son! She hears from another slave that the King will one day give the boy to Danal, who has become both his brother and closest companion; he'd be almost better than free! And, to make matters worse, the bastard'll likely live to be officially freed at the Jubilation, whereas Keza will be long dead, having died miserable in servitude.

What if she's just a bitch?
I mean, sure, she doesn't like us or our mom. I wouldn't know why she hates mom, but as for us, we're Danal's PIC. We cause mischief, eat like a small army, do pretty much whatever we want, and she has to put up with us and clean up after us. In that context, I'd probably hate us too.

And even if Tudiya were to let her go, what's she going to do? She's old, what she does now is probably all she knows. Unless she has family somewhere that would have her, sticking with Tudiya is probably the best she's gonna be able to do for herself.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

8)B
9)H
10)J
11)P
12)W

13: I believe it will work because we are pledged to Zepa the same way Tudiya is, I'd assume it was a power granted by this pledge, the obelisk told us it hates sorcery so the source must be something else.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

It does not respond.

Oh booooo.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Trick about this is that she's apparently been living with resentment, bitterness, regret and spite for a very long time, and that's a hard habit to break out of - she might even take any show of niceness to be some form of condescension or hidden ploy. I don't mind being nicer to her simply for the sake of being a compassionate human being, mind you, and really the whole point of compassion is that you should be nice to people without expecting any reward, but I don't know that we should expect a great deal of change in our relations with Keza even if we do try to be nicer to her.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If anyone can do a count of the "starting a fire" votes I will start the update after. I do not have access to a spreadsheet during the day, even if I can write, so counting the votes is tougher. Any volunteers?

The "what is your general survival plan" vote is more complicated and will not be resolved till at least after the fire vote, so we do not need a full count on that yet.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Spending time with our mother (Something we've been neglecting an awful lot) is more important than this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Spending time with our mother (Something we've been neglecting an awful lot) is more important than this.

Yup. Seriously, even Tudya told us to spend more time with her.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

If anyone can do a count of the "starting a fire" votes I will start the update after. I do not have access to a spreadsheet during the day, even if I can write, so counting the votes is tougher. Any volunteers?

The "what is your general survival plan" vote is more complicated and will not be resolved till at least after the fire vote, so we do not need a full count on that yet.

I am starting a Fire count, but it will take a bit.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 12, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Votes hand counted for the fire vote. Voting closed on the fire vote. Update coming soonish.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You finish gathering up the wood and setting up the fire pit. Your teeth chatter from the cold.

You close your eyes and grip two of the sticks tightly. All around you is a chorus is the night, a symphony of chirping insects. You are cold. You are tired. Very, very tired. Snarls leans against one of your legs for warmth and lets out a sad doggy whine, he is cold and tired as well. He got you here and now he is depending on you for his own survival.

You bow your head and offer sincere prayers to El, asking that he help you now, though you know in the back if your mind you have some doubts as to whether or not this could work.

You truly want a fire, you strike the two sticks together and say the words "VAYAHI OR!"

And...

And...

And...

And...

AND...

AND...

Nothing happens.

A fire does not start, not even an ember.

You try again.

"VAYAHI OR!"

The sticks remain distinctly not burnt. Your teeth chatter involuntarily and you shiver, you are cold. Snarls lets out a small puppy whine as he presses against your leg for warmth.

What possibly caused you to think you could mirror the miraculous powers of someone like Tudiya?

1. Are you going to waste more time and make more noise by trying again?
A. This is stupid. No. Time to go to sleep, cold.
B. No. drat, I wish it worked, time to go to sleep and freeze my rear end off again.
C. I... I really believed I could but I guess not. drat. Well, snuggle close boy, time to go to sleep. I... I am sorry I let you down Snarls.
D. I try again.
E. Something else. Fill in.

2. As I try again, what am I thinking of?(Only if you voted to try again)
F. Nothing in particular.
G. I don't think this will work but it is worth another shot.
H. I want a fire because I want to have magical powers!
I. I am thinking this is a ridiculous waste of time and why did we spend two rounds of voting failing to make a fire when we could be doing hero poo poo or survival stuff?
J. I dragged poor Snarls out here when I could have left him home, now he is freezing his butt off too and I feel guilty!
K. J AND I WON'T let Snarls down! I will make fire DAMNIT!
L. I want a fire because I am cold!
M. I want a fire because I want a god drat fire! Why the hell are you asking me these stupid questions?!?
N. It is complete bullshit that I am out here and freezing my rear end off! Mom and Tudiya and everyone else taught me all those awesome hero stories and I can't do even make a fire and that SUCKS and its totally unfair I lost the parental lottery and don't have the proper heritage!
O. gently caress EVERY PERSON IN MY LIFE WHO MAKES ME PUT UP WITH CRYPTIC BULLSHIT! NOW I AM FREEZING MY BALLS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! I WANT SOME EL drat FIRE AND I WANT IT NOW, DAMNIT!
P. FIIIIIRE!
Q. FIIIIIRE! FIIIIIIIRE! FIIIIIIRE! gently caress YOU! THATS WHY! FIIIIIIIRRRRREEEEEE! FIIIIRRREEEEEE!
R. I believe I can do this!
S. I BELIEVE I can do this!
T. I will make a fire!
U. I WILL make a fire!
V. EEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL!
W. ASSSSSHHHHHHERRRAAAAH!
X. Diog is a troll for wasting our time with so many stupid details for something which is impossible and is probably laughing at us. gently caress you and gently caress your sign to Annubis, it was not that funny!
Y. Diog needs time to work on the next big update which is taking time so he is wasting our time with stupid bullshit in the interim!
Z. I think Diog lied to us when he said we were not distinct, individual voices in a head Denziroh-style, why else is he going into so much detail on this?

Something else. Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 11, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

gently caress that noise, we're not letting Snarls get doggy frostbite!

1. E. Double down and try again with GUSTO.

2. K + Q + U K is the primary sentiment however.

For what it's worth I think Enki initially had doubts about his ability to make a fire, but realizing now how cold/miserable Snarks is with his failure has pushed him to say 'gently caress It' and try 200x harder this time.

vvvOh no, poor Sogol counted for nothing. :ohdear:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Here is what I got for the Fire count through 'Daned' (20 voters)

pre:
8- no how
A	B	C	D	E	F	G
2	3	5	2	2	0	4

9- Ayes
H	I
9	10

10- Don't hate the Praya...
J	K	L	M	N
4	3	3	3	5

11- tell me what you want
O	P	Q	R
5	5	6	3

12- what you really, really want
S	T	U	V	W	X	Y	Z	Za	Zb
2	0	0	5	2	2	2	2	2	2
Notes:[list]
[*]1Gx3 to proceed as did Tudiya
[*]some Obelisk Bic voters did not re-vote
[*]13 no analysis for 13

Edit: for posterities sake I guess. Enkidel the Great Historian?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 11, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

You bow your head and offer sincere prayers to El, asking that he help you now, though you know in the back if your mind you have some doubts as to whether or not this could work.

in the back if your mind you have some doubts

doubts

:commissar:

1. E. Another prayer to El. And try again, this time concentrating on summoning fire. Or summoning the words into reality.

2. K, without the guilt. He's our responsibility.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 11, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. E - Try to make a fire the mundane way, muttering "Vayahi Or" repeatedly as a silent curse to ourselves
2. K + U

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D

K, Q, V because now we have started and we are stubborn as hell. We are so stubborn that we have walked ourselves into unconsciousness. We are so stubborn that we have herded a growing 6 fingered mutant for years. We are so stubborn that we have learned math and writing when told flatly that we could not. We are loving stubborn even in the face of evidence. It is not something we do. It is something we are.

Edit: minus the implied guilt of K(J). Responsibility, yes. Guilt, maybe not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1. D
2. U - I WILL make that fire. LET THERE BE LIGHT!