Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Don't tell him about the sandals.

Ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage. In a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Task Manager posted:

If we actually pass the Ironman version of this coming of age trial that few ever try, we survive for a month, bring back a revered artifact of El lay it on the altar, all for Tudiya to go "Tsk, tsk - but your feet were comfortable! Get out of my house."....I just don't see it happening. He doesn't care.

If the sandals shot lasers out of them, ok, tell him. We walk extra good in them, that's it. There's just no need to tell him.

What's the down side of telling him? We already know he has displayed supernatural knowledge of our life. We know that "As long as we are pious, strong and faithful" we will survive this challenge. Painting this rite as something few ever try is a disingenuous, few men do it because times are easy now and they wish to cheat and give their sons an easier time. Before this, the men of Zepath got on just fine with this version of the rite.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's the down side of telling him? We already know he has displayed supernatural knowledge of our life. We know that "As long as we are pious, strong and faithful" we will survive this challenge. Painting this rite as something few ever try is a disingenuous, few men do it because times are easy now and they wish to cheat and give their sons an easier time. Before this, the men of Zepath got on just fine with this version of the rite.

The down side of telling him is he might decide the godly-supply depot was unholy and our sandals are demonic, then take them.

Cue trying to walk and hunt for month on bare feet that have grown accustomed to being coddled. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's the down side of telling him?
He takes the sandals. We are incapable of walking barefoot for a full month, as we are no longer accustomed to walking barefoot after wearing sandals for several years. This contributes to our death.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is supposed to be a test. If we're too coddled to pass it that's our fault.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

RandomPauI posted:

This is supposed to be a test. If we're too coddled to pass it that's our fault.

But should Snarls pay because we can't walk properly? Because he will if that happens.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If we are literally only allowed to take Snarls with us for the duration of the test, we might as well just strip naked and give Tudiya our clothes too. If we're too coddled to survive in the wilderness nude, it's our fault. We didn't pick our clothes as our survival tool, it's our fault.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You guys should come into IRC with the rest of us. #madgod on synirc.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

He takes the sandals. We are incapable of walking barefoot for a full month, as we are no longer accustomed to walking barefoot after wearing sandals for several years. This contributes to our death.

Please refer to Tudiya's many judgements in the market. His comment about what we were to do if we spotted danger for Zepath.

This is a man who devoted his life to a high cause, who praises justice above all. Removing sandals from this boy and forcing him out into the wild with soft broken feet is something so utterly out of character it's ludicrous.

JT Jag posted:

If we are literally only allowed to take Snarls with us for the duration of the test, we might as well just strip naked and give Tudiya our clothes too. If we're too coddled to survive in the wilderness nude, it's our fault. We didn't pick our clothes as our survival tool, it's our fault.

Also I just want to point out that this is a really stupid post and I'm slightly ashamed of you for demeaning yourself in this way. You can do better.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 24, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is a test to see if we can survive taking only one item that is very important to the ritual or our survival. Our sandals and Snarls should rightly count as two items. If we want to honor the spirit of the test we must be honest even if our feet hurt for a few days.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It's less a matter of our magically soft coddled boy feet aching and more oops we stepped on a rock and now our foot has got infected and is festering off over the course of a month.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If Diog is going to go that direction to screw us over he could just as easily go with a snake bite to the ankle or getting our arm trapped under a fallen rock.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RandomPauI posted:

This is a test to see if we can survive taking only one item that is very important to the ritual or our survival. Our sandals and Snarls should rightly count as two items. If we want to honor the spirit of the test we must be honest even if our feet hurt for a few days.

If he wanted us to choose between the sandals and other stuff, he'd have put them on the pile. He did not.

We were given enough time to put on our sandals.
Therefore, the sandals are fair game for us.
We chose our one item from the pile, and we didn't try to game it by asking Snarls to grab stuff.

If our sandals conjured a delicious sandwich when we clicked the heels or erected a comfortable shelter for us when we did a merry jig, I could understand telling Tudiya.
But they don't. They let us walk, that's it. Not run, not climb, not even walk stealthily. They just let us walk a lot.
Being able to walk isn't going to put food in our belly, water on our tongue, or a roof over our head.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It lets us walk without feeling the pain of walking or suffering the sort of damage to the feet that could cause. That is a significant advantage which should not be hand-waived away.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

The purpose of this trial is to survive in the wilderness for a month using only one of the tools that was provided to us.

It's only cheating if you break the rules. It would have been cheating if we had personally taken several of the items Tudiya lined up in front of us. It is not cheating if we do something that the rules do not account for, like bring an item from outside: That is just something beyond the scope of the trial.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 24, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Trust Tudya, guys, just like he trusted us.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Paradise Lost: Goons Making Something Out of Nothing - Choose Your Own Adventure!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
:siren:SHUT UP ABOUT THE loving SANDALS ALREADY GODDAMN:siren:

Look at you squabbling over something so unimportant that it shouldn't really have been mentioned at all. They just stay on and we don't talk about them because they are shoes and we forget about them entirely now.

Now back to the important stuff: Should we devour the hearts of every animal we kill or just the monsters and demons?

If we meet people on out in the wild should we kill them and eat their hearts or take them as a slave to test out poisonous berries and plants?

Do we start walking back after 3 weeks so that we arrive in Zepath after a month or do we finish the whole month and then start walking home? I never got this.

edit: I think we should take off our sandals and gently caress them in front of the king. He may know of them but I don't think he knows the full extent to which we could use them to cheat on our test of manhood. If we do this then we don't have to tell him but he gets to exercise his judgment anyway. It's a win-win. Please Dio, a minivote here.

Basscop fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 24, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Then why didn't we get Snarls to bring along the flint?

Main consensus at the moment seems to be: Tell him, talk about the Art and the temple, if he wants us to give up the sandals then fine, but if not, we've told him, he thinks slightly more of us for admitting it, and maybe if we're lucky we'll get a bit of info about the [???] and our flute out of the deal. We're not saying "here, hold my super magic sandals til I get back *limps off into the desert*, we're just telling him about what happened and getting his opinion.

[edit: I wrote this about 4 posts late :v: I'll shut up unless you come discuss it in IRC]

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

the_steve posted:

If he wanted us to choose between the sandals and other stuff, he'd have put them on the pile. He did not.

We were given enough time to put on our sandals.
Therefore, the sandals are fair game for us.
We chose our one item from the pile, and we didn't try to game it by asking Snarls to grab stuff.
I totally agree with all of this, but I may say it supports the idea that telling Tudiya wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. Clothing, including footwear, is a given for these manhood-tests, so there should be nothing holding us back in that regard to tell Tudiya.

the_steve posted:

If our sandals conjured a delicious sandwich when we clicked the heels or erected a comfortable shelter for us when we did a merry jig, I could understand telling Tudiya.
But they don't. They let us walk, that's it. Not run, not climb, not even walk stealthily. They just let us walk a lot.
Being able to walk isn't going to put food in our belly, water on our tongue, or a roof over our head.
If our sandals gave us one and only one effortless walking-step to our advantage during our manhood-test in the wilderness, that is by far too much advantage not to mention to Tudiyah. We're telling him to be sincere, not to inform him(he may already know) or in fear he negates our test. It is only for showing we trust him and wish him to know.

Changing my "Tell him" vote to "Tell him because we want him to know we're willing to share it, not because of any gain to us." We kept a secret with Ishamal, let's keep it.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 24, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Maybe we should also mention our training and weightlifting capabilities because that there is also an advantage. Oh, and we know how to catch fish and there's an ocean, so we should probably mention that.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Voting that we take off our beard and hair to leave behind because it isn't a living part of us and could give unfair hidden camo bonuses to our manhood test. Also our finger and toenails.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What the hell happened to the thread? Just wear your drat sandals.

More importantly, Snarls and Enky should share the hearts of the monsters we kill and bathe in their blood. Snarls deserves some too. Maybe we can create a Super Snarls. Don't bathe in animal blood. Just eat the raw heart and liver. Fresh livers are pretty good. I think.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Tudiyah is actually taking us out into the forest to kill us for kissing Naomi. This is a perfect excuse. He's going to burry us with our dog and our sandals. Great job, goon collective.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Sandals aside, which is more important to you, honor or survival?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I bet our sandals and flute aren't even magical and their benefits are only imagined to an uneducated kid who didn't grow up with footwear. After growing up without shoes, of course wearing them would make it seem like you could walk forever!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I wonder if Tudiya had this same moral quandary during his test.

"You know, I do have the blood of Labaras, which seems to give me powers. Maybe I should replace all of my blood with someone else's. You know, just to be fair."

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
To me, there is still something a bit wonky going on with El and Tudiyah and everything. There's a reason we trust Ishamal with everything, and likely a reason he told us not to mention certain things to the king. Let's just keep the sandals on the DL. If he knows he knows. If it was a test he wouldn't set us up to fail. We dont know the manhood ritual, he does. If he straight up asked us, then ok, but he didn't.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Put the sandals on Snarls Barkly. Ride Snarls Barkly. Quandry solved, we still are only using the item we brought with us take that Tudiyah you can't trick us with your moral tests about footwear.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tsyni posted:

To me, there is still something a bit wonky going on with El and Tudiyah and everything. There's a reason we trust Ishamal with everything, and likely a reason he told us not to mention certain things to the king. Let's just keep the sandals on the DL. If he knows he knows. If it was a test he wouldn't set us up to fail. We dont know the manhood ritual, he does. If he straight up asked us, then ok, but he didn't.
Honestly this is a better argument than any I've made. Tudiyah wouldn't pull some sort of double-secret test of character on a foreigner who doesn't have the first clue how the initiation ritual works.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You know what, this sandal debate has gone on far too long. I propose a simple test to decide whether or not we should tell Tudiya about the sandals.

We shall kick one of our feet very hard forward such that our sandal goes flying into the air. We shall then wait to see the sandal land. If the sandals land such that the toe-end points towards Zepath, clearly the sandals should be left at home and we should tell Tudiya. If the sandals land such that the toe-end points towards wherever we're going, clearly they are demanding to come along with us and we should not tell Tudiya about the sandals. And if the sandal is snatched by an eagle in midair before it swings back around to drop it on our head, clearly we are destined to become king of Rome and should be sure to marry our future daughter to Paebel to ensure an orderly succession.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Tsyni posted:

There's a reason we trust Ishamal with everything, and likely a reason he told us not to mention certain things to the king. Let's just keep the sandals on the DL. If he knows he knows.
Oh I forgot the sandals were a part of our secret with Ishamal. Let's keep it on the DL. I feel silly. Changing above votes.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Basscop posted:

Do we start walking back after 3 weeks so that we arrive in Zepath after a month or do we finish the whole month and then start walking home? I never got this.

If I understand Tudiya right, we have to stay out of Zepath for a full month and he doesn't particularly care how we do it so long as we don't find ourselves a different city to stay in. So that means we can just wait a few days where we are dropped off, make our way back to Zepath, and then stay just out of sight of the city's borders.

I'm not sure if that's what we really want to do, though. We'd be walking from place to place alright, but we wouldn't really be exploring or discovering anything. According to the King we're about two weeks away from the coastline, or maybe less if we keep our really comfortable sandals and only stop to sleep or scavenge for food. Enkidel hasn't used his spearfishing skills in quite a while, but even if he doesn't manage to catch any fish he can probably still manage to find himself edible things like shellfish or snails on the beach. And if there are oysters, he might even find himself a worthy offering to El in the form of pearls. They'd certainly carry a lot of meaning, because those pearls he gave to Jalitha are probably what bought her the freedom she has now.

Another benefit is that a typical beach is a flat stretch of land, meaning we can see threats from far away and avoid them as necessary.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
By the way, it might have gotten missed under my tide of questions earlier, but I got an idea for an offering. We just learned how to read and write, right? So let's find a stone slab of the appropriate size, gin up some rough tools to carve it a bit with, and then slam down a poem of praise to El and/or a vow to behave in such-and-such a way. Managing to pull that off and then lug the drat thing back to the city while finding food, shelter, and water ought to be a worthy offering, right?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
And we did conceive of some epic rhymes back in the day, when we first met Tudiya.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize we were sworn to secrecy about the sandals but I guess we were.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
^^
Technically he only swore us to secrecy about the visions.

retracting my wish to talk about the sandals, I forgot about Ishamal's advice too.

If we really want a challenge all we have to do is take them off when we're alone with Snarls!

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 24, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dyzzy posted:

retracting my wish to talk about the sandals, I forgot about Ishamal's advice too.

If we really want a challenge all we have to do is take them off when we're alone with Snarls!

Aye, changing my vote to this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

dyzzy posted:

^^
Technically he only swore us to secrecy about the visions.

Oops yep. Changing my vote too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OhYo posted:

Oh I forgot the sandals were a part of our secret with Ishamal. Let's keep it on the DL. I feel silly. Changing above votes.

Yeah, fine. I love how sandal debate was more intense than bow debate.