Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

If we survive this we should get a handful of orbs and keep them for exactly the off chance we get in this position again.

We destroyed the ones we had because we were afraid of people accidentally getting sucked in and trapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Angela Christine posted:

We destroyed the ones we had because we were afraid of people accidentally getting sucked in and trapped.

If someone gets trapped we break them. Mostly a non issue.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
+1 to cawing

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ceramic Shot posted:

C with wings AND and also prep a bronze arrow to save even a little more time.

Voting for this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm trying really hard to come up with a relevant Red Ox gives you wings quip and failing miserably. Somebody help me out here.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Ceramic Shot posted:

C with wings AND and also prep a bronze arrow to save even a little more time.

This is my vote

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

There Bias Two posted:

I'm trying really hard to come up with a relevant Red Ox gives you wings quip and failing miserably. Somebody help me out here.

Ox Blood gives you wings!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tomn posted:

Ox Blood gives you wings!

I feel better now, thanks. So, if our men see us flying, we'll just say it's the ox blood.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
+1 wings

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
+ wings and preparing an bronze arrow

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Preparing a bronze arrow is good too

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
C

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
A big black Kid Icarus
Demons gettin' sick of us :cool:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I sure hope C works

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

If nobody makes a "wing it" pun by the next update then I will be very disappointed.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Write in vote let's wing it

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Thank you

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dead bull gives you wings.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's kinda hilarious that despite the fact that we know it'd probably be a bad idea to let on that we have wings, we consistently use them in every situation where we think we can get away with it and a few where we can't, all because we HAVE that tool in our toolbox, so why wouldn't we use it? Be a waste otherwise, innit?

I mean, yes, we have reasons. Gotta save Paebel, gotta make sure the demons don't get up, gotta fight a giant, gotta do this or that, but the thing is we keep finding all sorts of reasons in all sorts of situations all the time, and the more we flaunt those wings the sooner the Balls will notice something's up, on account of they're not idiots. The odd thing is that Enkidel DOES have some modicum of self-control when dealing with his other powers, as witness the fact that nobody called for Ball Trancing or whatnot during the giant fight. So what's going on here? Does Ishamal need to explicitly forbid something before Enkidel acknowledges that a given thing might be unwise? Do we think that the fact that wings are purely physical means they're probably not as metaphysically important? Are we just that confident in Enkidel's ability to make up a good reason to explain the wings away? Or are wings just a new toy we simply can't resist playing with at every opportunity until we get bored?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tomn posted:

It's kinda hilarious that despite the fact that we know it'd probably be a bad idea to let on that we have wings, we consistently use them in every situation where we think we can get away with it and a few where we can't, all because we HAVE that tool in our toolbox, so why wouldn't we use it? Be a waste otherwise, innit?

I mean, yes, we have reasons. Gotta save Paebel, gotta make sure the demons don't get up, gotta fight a giant, gotta do this or that, but the thing is we keep finding all sorts of reasons in all sorts of situations all the time, and the more we flaunt those wings the sooner the Balls will notice something's up, on account of they're not idiots. The odd thing is that Enkidel DOES have some modicum of self-control when dealing with his other powers, as witness the fact that nobody called for Ball Trancing or whatnot during the giant fight. So what's going on here? Does Ishamal need to explicitly forbid something before Enkidel acknowledges that a given thing might be unwise? Do we think that the fact that wings are purely physical means they're probably not as metaphysically important? Are we just that confident in Enkidel's ability to make up a good reason to explain the wings away? Or are wings just a new toy we simply can't resist playing with at every opportunity until we get bored?

Our wing use in combat situations has mostly been more of a run speed modifier. Enhanced agility is a suitably Mighty thing to have.
Our Balls explain that to themselves for us.
"Lookit Enkidel go! He sure is a speedy one."

And we know not to openly fly where they can see because we don't want them trying to worship us.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tomn posted:

People have specifically forbidden us from ball trancing and whatnot. No one has said poo poo about the wings (yet). As far as we can tell we don't need to experiment with magic to use them. They are just there. Like a sixth finger.

So the only reason not to use them is that we're afraid they'll be forbidden later. But so far we have no sign that these wings are forbidden. We've even had a couple calls from the EL-phone and not gotten any hint that we ought to keep the wings on the down low or get rid of them.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I imagine that killing the ox-demon kind of takes up most of Uriah's attention. It also helps that he's currently bleeding from his eyes. We can get away with this one.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think it'd reasonable to assume that Ish and Friends wouldn't want us to show the wings to other people. But if it makes the difference here... we should use them.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
People are willing to bend the rules using a loophole, essentially. I'm sure most "get" that Ishamal and the melachim never want us to use our wings, more than likely. However, if it's a minor infraction we seem to be OK with it.

There's been several times where people have suggested flashing our wings at a giant to momentarily shock them or surprise them - it rarely ever gets any support. People seem to realize using the wings overtly is probably bad.

When it comes to using them in a non-overt way to gain a slight advantage, most people are cool with it. The whole "bend the rules but don't break them" has really been our MO for a greater part of the game. We rationalize why certain things should be done or aren't technically breaking the rules all the time.

Ishamal tells us not to experiment - we experiment but explain it away because its a dire situation or Ball Trancing/Arrow Time isn't really experimenting (totally is/was).
Tudiya tells us not to have anything to do with Indor - we still do, but explain it away as a necessity for our men's survival, Tudiya's a conservative zealot, Puabi is our waifu, etc.
On our manhood trial we use our sandals - explain it away that it wasn't cheating because we were given those to use, and doesn't count for the one item only rule.

When it comes to doing stuff we shouldn't, we usually are pretty cool with bending the rules to the point of almost breaking them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dyzzy posted:

I think it'd reasonable to assume that Ish and Friends wouldn't want us to show the wings to other people. But if it makes the difference here... we should use them.

We're doing a Good Thing here. This isn't exactly a gratuitous use of our powers to rescue a village from flesh-eating giants.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

There Bias Two posted:

We're doing a Good Thing here. This isn't exactly a gratuitous use of our powers to rescue a village from flesh-eating giants.

After the battle at Tanaach, when we used Ball Trance to defend the temple, Ishamal pretty much said
"What you did is incredibly heroic and you saved countless lives. Now, stop using Ball Trance."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh.

We know why using powers are bad.
1. Drains well makes us weaker.
2. Beacon to demons.

We know why using our wings is bad
1. If anyone sees us we're better off killing them. Because the shitstorm will be huge.

But! If no-one sees us using our wings that is fine!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Slight random question, Diog But Kavodel is really an exceptional melting pot, at this point. Ibleamites, Tanaachians, Zepathans...how have things gelled, socially? Is there friction between the groups or is everyone basically gently caress Yea Kavodel?

Just curious because we're potentially introducing a fourth group to the mix if we're able to recuse any of these people all the way back to safety.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

There Bias Two posted:

I agree but fully expect to get lip about it.

Also, it was close but I managed to get a PhD before Enkidel died :toot:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

dyzzy posted:

Congrats on the PhD!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

dyzzy posted:

Holy poo poo well done bro

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Thanks fellas, now :regd08:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FoxTerrier posted:

Slight random question, Diog But Kavodel is really an exceptional melting pot, at this point. Ibleamites, Tanaachians, Zepathans...how have things gelled, socially? Is there friction between the groups or is everyone basically gently caress Yea Kavodel?

Just curious because we're potentially introducing a fourth group to the mix if we're able to recuse any of these people all the way back to safety.

IIRC, Diog mentioned that it's pretty much "gently caress yeah, Kavodel!"

And congrats on the PhD, dyzzy!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Tomn posted:

I'd say the difference is that they're limbs; not using powers is one thing, not using our legs or arms or something would be absurd. Having wings is similar to if we had a secret third arm or something; certainly using them in a way that would draw attention would be bad, because of the effects it would have on how people see us, which we know is something our 'superiors' want us to avoid, but outside of situations in which people will clearly observe that we've got wings, ignoring them would be like ignoring our ability to run, or pick things up.

E: Also yes, grats Dyzzy; PhD in what, if you're comfortable?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theglavwen posted:

I'd say the difference is that they're limbs; not using powers is one thing, not using our legs or arms or something would be absurd. Having wings is similar to if we had a secret third arm or something; certainly using them in a way that would draw attention would be bad, because of the effects it would have on how people see us, which we know is something our 'superiors' want us to avoid, but outside of situations in which people will clearly observe that we've got wings, ignoring them would be like ignoring our ability to run, or pick things up.

I think as long as we don't actually show the wings, we won't have too much trouble even if people find out we can fly. After all, Enkidu flew by throwing his club really hard into the air according to the Old Tales. It'd be suspicious, but not worthy of worship, if the Mightiest Man they've ever seen were able to fly. It is the wings themselves, and their connection to the Melachim that would cause the real issue. And if they do give us a hard time, we could always mention that Ish can fly, so we think it's just an old blooded power that was lost at some point.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Quote is not edit. D'oh.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Using our wings to do wing things is no more experimenting than using our legs to do leg things, what Ishamal is on about is experimenting with powers we don't understand

ie when a vote option is either literal gibberish or explicitly states that we don't know how, but we can still do it

And doing things that would make people worship us, obviously

e:fb

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 11, 2015

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

maxhush posted:

Using our wings to do wing things is no more experimenting than using our legs to do leg things

What Ishamal is on about is experimenting with powers we don't understand

ie when a vote option is either literal gibberish or explicitly states that we don't know how, but we can still do it

e:fb

I think his point is that whenever we're using those abilities, we're literally screwing around with quarks and gluons and muons and the fabric of spacetime when we have no idea how *any* of that works. We're doing all this stuff on an instinctual level and it wouldn't be too hard to accidentally break something or someone unintentionally. Diog has repeatedly emphasized how we don't understand the knowledge that that the Melachim give us sometimes, and I think the understanding of our abilities is no different. He teaches us how to do things with finesse rather than raw power.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dyzzy posted:

Congrats, mon ami!

Affi posted:

Eh.

We know why using powers are bad.
1. Drains well makes us weaker.
2. Beacon to demons.

We know why using our wings is bad
1. If anyone sees us we're better off killing them. Because the shitstorm will be huge.

But! If no-one sees us using our wings that is fine!

I think the poo poo storm is inevitable and we should reveal it under our own terms to try and contain it, but the thread is afraid of the melachim police. Mark my words!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Theglavwen posted:

Thanks! I'm in electrical engineering, I study these if you are so inclined.