Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was somehow under the impression it would take a solid C to get up to "just ok enough to work, I guess," and it would take at least ten more years to put in like half the foundation.

Diogines posted:

Construction of the Temple of El in Kavodel continues. Construction is going slower than expected but the border walls and foundation are nearly done. The foundation. After seven years of work. You could have built a stone foundation for a normal building that size in a few months at most. There are very strict rules for how a temple can be built involving sacrifices, prayers and rituals at every step of construction, upon the placing of each and every brick. Each block of stone must be perfect and flawless and placed under ceremony and ritual with extensive prayer and offerings. Each tool must be of the finest quality. Each artisans must be the finest which can be obtained. You always knew this but the reality of just how drat slow that makes everything did not really become obvious until time had passed. The finest craftsmen in Kavodel are all contributing but sacred law prescribes that the finest artisans on hand must contribute. Which means the best of your people in Kavodel as well as the Mighty Men of Zepath and their sons and nephews. You contribute to the construction as best you can but the process is slow and painstaking. You contribute mostly by forging sacred tools and lifting heavy loads, you've forged all the tools the temple will need for the entirety of its construction at this point. You strongly suspect that kings in the interior may be "cheating" and not building their temples up to the standards they are supposed to be. Well, you know they are not as grand as they should be? Jobe, Zebanetha and Tudiya are all adamant that it can't be rushed and the temple must be flawless, to do otherwise would be an insult to El. The best artisans in Kavodel contribute as best they can in the absence of the Mighty Men but their skills are not as well honed and so it take them long hours to replicate what is a large effort even for Zepath's Mighty Men.

At this rate the structure of the temple will probably be finished in a bit less than twenty years. Between fifteen and twenty? The Mighty Men of Zepath have been more willing to help in the construction since the events at Acco, even if they are still not particularly pleased with you. If that is fear of you from killing Samson, them being pleased in your agreeing to move the refugees closer to Kavodel, awe at the events at Acco and a desire to do labor on El's behalf, a mixture or other reasons entirely, you just don't know. It is no secret that Tudiya is pleased with what you did at Acco in his absence and they know it. Are they being more... cooperative for his sake? They are not enthusiastic and they don't show up nearly as much as they should, but they have shown up to help more often. Beautifying it will be the work of generations, Zepath's temple took centuries to reach its current state, having reached a point where there are no longer artisans available with the skills to improve it further. Though small by interior standards, the interior of the Temple of El in Zepath is resplendent, each exposed stone surface perfectly aligned and carved, gold, silver and gems everywhere and the ceiling a fantastical carving of the creation of the world and painted in a way no man alive today could replicate. Even after the structure is finished, the Temple of El in Kavodel will be continually improved for generations.

The current labor to build El's temple in Kavodel is not tremendously intensive in manpower. It ties up a lot of cattle and silver, but you have quite a lot of both. Assuming you don't wish to make something demanding the finest artistry and artisans, you could start on another large scale construction project. While there is still a bit of work to do finishing a few of the towers on the road to Dor, it is essentially finished.

So another 20 years to get the physical structure built, and then centuries of beautifying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Olothreutes posted:

So another 20 years to get the physical structure built, and then centuries of beautifying it.

Slap on a coat of Dulux wash n wear and call it a day imo.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I wonder if we could entice Mighty craftsmen from more far-flung areas to lend a hand making the place better if we offered to send them on Real Adventures of Glory, i.e. letting them tag along with Uriah and the Balls for near harmless sightseeing adventures to the safest places within sight of the ocean (with side trips to nearby ruined cities) wherein they could bring back minor trophies to brag about.

We beautify the temple, they get some piffling glory, and we also spread word that poo poo's truly dangerous and getting worse out on the edge of everything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Terrible Person posted:

I wonder if we could entice Mighty craftsmen from more far-flung areas to lend a hand making the place better if we offered to send them on Real Adventures of Glory, i.e. letting them tag along with Uriah and the Balls for near harmless sightseeing adventures to the safest places within sight of the ocean (with side trips to nearby ruined cities) wherein they could bring back minor trophies to brag about.

We beautify the temple, they get some piffling glory, and we also spread word that poo poo's truly dangerous and getting worse out on the edge of everything.

We've already had this idea and it was game-mechanics-vetoed iirc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We already have an inconvenient over abundance of blooded dudes, we don't need more. The last thing we need is more.

What we need to do is get more of the Balls and wannabes to become craftsmen rather than adventurers. Getting them to make statues and murals and engraving poo poo for the temple grounds is a valuable use of their time that won't get them killed. They can still spend just as much time training for war, but when they aren't training they can make cool stuff rather than moaning about being bored.

Save for years of hardship. Don't spend men's lives hunting giant cave toads.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Well poo poo. How is it that Diog has an answer against all the really useful poo poo. Like, just about every time. The man is a mad, cruel genius.

Facebook Aunt posted:

We already have an inconvenient over abundance of blooded dudes, we don't need more. The last thing we need is more.

Gotta disagree with this. Recent story events have shown that you can never have too many Blooded dudes, just too many regular people diluting the Pure Aryan Zepathan bloodlines. Playing this game seems to get more and more uncomfortable at times. Like, beyond merely suspending disbelief and whatnot.

quote:

What we need to do is get more of the Balls and wannabes to become craftsmen rather than adventurers. Getting them to make statues and murals and engraving poo poo for the temple grounds is a valuable use of their time that won't get them killed. They can still spend just as much time training for war, but when they aren't training they can make cool stuff rather than moaning about being bored.

I would definitely be on board with this.

True glory is supporting the weak, downtrodden, and less able; not replacing them and their works but, rather, giving them something to aspire to or improve upon in novel ways. Be more. Be better. Kavodel, for the common man.

*edit*

Just to clarify, I'm one of the psychotic parts of Enki's psyche that would gladly risk insanity just to get him over his irrational fear of the Gebebans and who, up to this point, was satisfied knowing that the Blooded accepted themselves as clearly superior to regular folk yet not lording it over them aside from differences in loyalty between city states.

It has become clear that even nearby cities populated by distant cousins are too impure to intermingle with Zepathan blood to the point that Kavodel has opted to harbor a refugee camp made of mud huts outside its borders on a permanent basis for fear that miscegenation will be the downfall of Ur.

I understand the in-game reasons and arguments as to why that was the smart choice and that reaching beyond our grasp won't get us anywhere, but... drat. This thread covers some really hosed up situations at times and I sincerely hope everyone is intensely aware of it when they vote.

Which, I should add, isn't me calling anyone out or anything. Just stating what I hope is redundant and obvious stuff that everyone is already keenly aware of.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 23, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Actually we DO want most of the Blooded Men to focus a big chunk of time on being Mighty Monster/Mokt Murderizers, and they are our Balls. If they want to exclude all other pursuits as Uriah has, that's great. If they want to pursue Mighty Arts&Crafts, that's fine too as long as they can reliably kill monsters.

Hell, it's arguably true that Ahaz is responsible for more enemy deaths than his brothers since he mined the ludicrous amount of bronze that we Mightified into Mercy. Surely he deserves a chunk of the credit for our kills with it, since without his efforts it is seriously unlikely we could have made our Blooded Bronze Pillar in the first place. But he still needs to be able to kill monsters, which he can, just not as well as others since his focus is Mighty Logistics.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was somehow under the impression it would take a solid C to get up to "just ok enough to work, I guess," and it would take at least ten more years to put in like half the foundation.

I understand why you would think that way, but the men of Ur are reliable brickmakers.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Haha :drat:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I understand why you would think that way, but the men of Ur are reliable brickmakers.

Ouch.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Ow

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Vavrek posted:

Huh. I don't get --

Oh.

Holy poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vavrek posted:

~thug life~

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I just want to point out that I believe in SniperWoreConverse, and I believe he'll finish his brick project within ten years.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

This past week has been hectic, it is probably going to be another day or two.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps I am misremembering, but, no? I am not sure what post you are referring to. There was no game mechanics reason that you couldn't do it. If you can convince blooded men to come, and your father allows it, you could. Though there are two problems. First. Actual blooded men are quite far away. By the standards of your people, on the other side of the Donut. Well blooded craftsman are men of distinction, wealth, privilege and importance in their homes. Why would they want to leave to come here? Second. Your father might not approve for a variety of reasons, though that is not obviously insurmountable. The bigger problem is probably the first, why were they want to come here? They have pretty great lives back home.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sorry, I misspoke. It's the game mechanics of "how do you get the 1% to voluntarily move to Mississippi", where by and large you won't, if you're very lucky you get a Hemingway but more likely you get at best a Randy Quaid.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Back on Mighty Craftsmaning, that's what we need to do to help deal with the Balls problem, and it's really on us. We, perhaps even outdoing grand Zepathan tradition, have bred a generation of war-makers, which is good for the current circumstances, but it also means that everybody sees only one way of following in our footsteps. All the Balls want to go out and hunt demons, all they do is prepare to fight and talk about fighting, and we encourage that, then they get into trouble because there's nothing to fight. Now I'm not saying we need to cut down on fighting exactly, but instead of creating solely a society of warriors, we need to focus on a society of warrior-poets. Extol the virtues of Gareb's life more often. We have a supernatural influence over people, if we start pushing other aspects of society harder, focus on praising Mighty craftsmen and artists as much as warriors, maybe we can shift some of the Balls' pent-up energies into other directions. They can work for the glory of Kavodel and Zepath in other ways. Remind them that Baitel isn't great merely because it kills demons the best, but because it has the best artists, craftsmen, etc., because every inch of the city is a giant monument to the glory of El. Baitel glorifies El in all sorts of ways, should Kavodel do any less?

We're already doing it to some degree - the gardens, Lefkandi's workshop, Gareb's murals, let's punch that up. Awards for sculptors and artists, grants and glory to those who come up with the best civil projects. The temple in Zepath is an ode to El because every brick, every piece of furniture, is a labour of Might and Devotion. Let's extend that thinking to the city itself. We've got an army of restless blooded people looking for glory, we should remind them of all the ways it's possible.

Next timeskip.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

We should absolutely couch it in that 'We did not go out fighting monsters in order to glorify ourselves. We did it to bring Glory to El and all his servants. What better way to Glorify El and his creation than to build him a proper house here in Kavodel?'

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

We should absolutely couch it in that 'We did not go out fighting monsters in order to glorify ourselves. We did it to bring Glory to El and all his servants marry our sister. What better way to Glorify El and his creation than to build him a proper house here in Kavodel and decorate it with imagery of the Balls' Great Founding Foreskin Hunt?'

But yeah, talk about turning the Balls into a bunch of Skalds sounds great. We can have Rap Battles to settle disputes when a full on duel isn't necessary.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

You bring glory to el by banging your sister :colbert:

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Vavrek posted:

Ok, I give up, what's the joke here? I'm missing out.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Ok, I give up, what's the joke here? I'm missing out.

Sniper has been making sand bricks and its not been going very well.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Sniper's Snarlsmas gift was actually the gift to the thread of a comedy of errors that will persist until the thread closes.

So actually it's been going great.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Sniper has been making sand bricks and its not been going very well.

This thread is fun. People should read it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blasphemaster posted:

This thread is fun. People should read it.

At the very least posts with pictures of very long blocks of text. I'm definitely guilty of skipping everything but Diogenes posts most of the time.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

At the very least posts with pictures of very long blocks of text. I'm definitely guilty of skipping everything but Diogenes posts most of the time.

I scan random words every page and then craft replies based on how they make me feel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tsyni posted:

I skip every page and then craft replies based on how they make me feel.

This is closer to my system.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Well poo poo. How is it that Diog has an answer against all the really useful poo poo. Like, just about every time. The man is a mad, cruel genius.

Gotta disagree with this. Recent story events have shown that you can never have too many Blooded dudes, just too many regular people diluting the Pure Aryan Zepathan bloodlines. Playing this game seems to get more and more uncomfortable at times. Like, beyond merely suspending disbelief and whatnot.

I would definitely be on board with this.

True glory is supporting the weak, downtrodden, and less able; not replacing them and their works but, rather, giving them something to aspire to or improve upon in novel ways. Be more. Be better. Kavodel, for the common man.

*edit*

Just to clarify, I'm one of the psychotic parts of Enki's psyche that would gladly risk insanity just to get him over his irrational fear of the Gebebans and who, up to this point, was satisfied knowing that the Blooded accepted themselves as clearly superior to regular folk yet not lording it over them aside from differences in loyalty between city states.

It has become clear that even nearby cities populated by distant cousins are too impure to intermingle with Zepathan blood to the point that Kavodel has opted to harbor a refugee camp made of mud huts outside its borders on a permanent basis for fear that miscegenation will be the downfall of Ur.

I understand the in-game reasons and arguments as to why that was the smart choice and that reaching beyond our grasp won't get us anywhere, but... drat. This thread covers some really hosed up situations at times and I sincerely hope everyone is intensely aware of it when they vote.

Which, I should add, isn't me calling anyone out or anything. Just stating what I hope is redundant and obvious stuff that everyone is already keenly aware of.

I 100% agree with you on the above, for what that's worth.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm one of the bigger proponents in the thread of not diluting the blood and let me tell you i feel real weird I end up arguing for what amounts to divine right of kings. I try to (and generally succeed) at telling myself that it's different from Earth because in this case there is literally demonstrable differences between blooded and unblooded that are 100% mandatory for the survival of both groups, but it is still not particularly pleasant. The sooner we can count on stuff like our buff aura the happier I'll be, but until we *know* it I'm stuck here saying we need to keep the Gebebans and Rimathans separate.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'm one of the bigger proponents in the thread of not diluting the blood and let me tell you i feel real weird I end up arguing for what amounts to divine right of kings. I try to (and generally succeed) at telling myself that it's different from Earth because in this case there is literally demonstrable differences between blooded and unblooded that are 100% mandatory for the survival of both groups, but it is still not particularly pleasant. The sooner we can count on stuff like our buff aura the happier I'll be, but until we *know* it I'm stuck here saying we need to keep the Gebebans and Rimathans separate.

I hope to welcome you to the moral high-ground some day.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

It's a role playing game. It's ok to think certain things in the context of the game and not harangue yourself because you thought for a split second that maybe mixing and diluting the literally divine gift of 'Blood' is a bad idea.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Zodiac5000 posted:

Wow, feels weird knowing some real life racists post in the same thread as I.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Mr. Nemo posted:

What?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
it's a joke:ssh:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Nemo posted:

Go gently caress yourself on the sharpest, highest possible flagpole you can find. I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but either way, you're loving retarded.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Luckily I can separate reality from an online text based fantasy game so advocating eugenics, genocide or ecological destruction in thread doesn't get me riled up or feeling guilty.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Zodiac5000 posted:

Go gently caress yourself on the sharpest, highest possible flagpole you can find. I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but either way, you're loving retarded.

That seems excessive.

Its not like he voted to go see Indor or something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

That seems excessive.

Its not like he voted to go see Indor or something.

It's disgusting how we treat the elderly. Use em for what we can and ditch them when they're inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Zodiac5000 posted:

Flagpoles aren't something handed down to us from Labras, 'fraid you're gonna need to take a time out to think about the heresy you've just commited