Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Elspeed salesman.

edit: what a lovely snipe, have the last update:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

You, Karum, son of Kanesh lean back against the wall at the top of the stands. Whatever happens will happen, and situated as you are, with the life you have led... well, there is not much you can do about it at the moment.
You have learned that some times it it best just to sit down and let events unfold, to see where El takes you, to clear your mind that opportunity not pass you by in the chaos.
The Hero is leaving. The Slaves are rioting. Who would notice you up here, when all eyes are pointed to the Hero or to the closest fleeing, life-fearing slaver?

Perhaps later you can proffer 'King Doret' or whoever takes charge of Chorizo your services as sole-surviving merchant. There will still be a need for trade, after all.
Especially if they want to survive in spite of the neighboring cities opportunism. If they succeed, they will need someone clean of face and unslurred of speech to pilot their agenda to the world.
And if they should fail? Well, your house has been insured against fire, for you are a wise and prudent investor, and your rivals stand far more to lose unprepared as they are against riots.

You turn your Enkidoll prototype over in your hands, admiring the quality of the carpenters work. The fresh paint gleams in the afternoon sunlight, or perhaps the reflections of fire. It strikes a handsome pose, the pose of a hero.
No match for the real deal, of course. But that never was your intention, simply a toy to bring cheer to a child, and more coins for your ever growing fortune.

Yes, there will always be a place for you, as long as you recall your fathers old mantra. How Can I Make This Make Profit? Oh, you'll find a way, alright. You always do.

~ Fin ~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just as according to plan.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

You, Karum, son of Kanesh lean back against the wall at the top of the stands. Whatever happens will happen, and situated as you are, with the life you have led... well, there is not much you can do about it at the moment.
You have learned that some times it it best just to sit down and let events unfold, to see where El takes you, to clear your mind that opportunity not pass you by in the chaos.
The Hero is leaving. The Slaves are rioting. Who would notice you up here, when all eyes are pointed to the Hero or to the closest fleeing, life-fearing slaver?

Perhaps later you can proffer 'King Doret' or whoever takes charge of Chorizo your services as sole-surviving merchant. There will still be a need for trade, after all.
Especially if they want to survive in spite of the neighboring cities opportunism. If they succeed, they will need someone clean of face and unslurred of speech to pilot their agenda to the world.
And if they should fail? Well, your house has been insured against fire, for you are a wise and prudent investor, and your rivals stand far more to lose unprepared as they are against riots.

You turn your Enkidoll prototype over in your hands, admiring the quality of the carpenters work. The fresh paint gleams in the afternoon sunlight, or perhaps the reflections of fire. It strikes a handsome pose, the pose of a hero.
No match for the real deal, of course. But that never was your intention, simply a toy to bring cheer to a child, and more coins for your ever growing fortune.

Yes, there will always be a place for you, as long as you recall your fathers old mantra. How Can I Make This Make Profit? Oh, you'll find a way, alright. You always do.

~ Fin ~

That was a fantastic ending. Better goldmine the thread!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

There Bias Two posted:

Farewell, Karum, son of Kanesh.

Let's hope the dice treat you kindly (you slave-owning shitbag).

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, before the other guy running a game in this thread comes back and ruins it.

Someone should make a compilation of these pop up CYOA

Right now I can remember::

Tree CYOA (good thread as well)

Gebek CYOA (olothreutes?)

Gebebans CYOA

Minotaur at Acco (also Swedish’s?)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Magicstraith!!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah, before the other guy running a game in this thread comes back and ruins it.

Gebebans CYOA

I do feel like Paradise Lost deserves a huge amount of credit for spinning off others into CYOA 'careers', even just looking at the ones run concurrently in this thread. However often we argue and bitch at eachother in here, there's no doubt that this world and this story has captured our imaginations and set them alight.

p good imho

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dog Kisser posted:

I do feel like Paradise Lost deserves a huge amount of credit for spinning off others into CYOA 'careers', even just looking at the ones run concurrently in this thread. However often we argue and bitch at eachother in here, there's no doubt that this world and this story has captured our imaginations and set them alight.

p good imho

I know it's helped me invent so many new passive aggressive ways to insult all of you! :glomp:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
PL has reaffirmed my crippling misanthropy, but there are a few bright spots.

As Oscar Wilde said, "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Not Enkidel though, that's too dangerous and we don't want to make Ish unhappy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll give the new king of riotlandia a great deal. Why it'll be so good it's like I'm cutting me own throat

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Gebebans CYOA

There've been a few bnaimokt captain CYOAs, too.

Plus loads of little mock CYOAs where someone (Swedish?) made up the comment threads of the "other side". (Most recently the Nusku one.)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There've been a few bnaimokt captain CYOAs, too.

Plus loads of little mock CYOAs where someone (Swedish?) made up the comment threads of the "other side". (Most recently the Nusku one.)

these were both me :arghfist:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

these were both me :arghfist:

Your finest contribution to the thread, imo.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I vote we have a vote on when we vote to elect the vote counter for an impromptu vote for Best Voter.

(except it's unnecessary, The Fish wins)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

~ Fin ~
This post is truly excellent, especially the picture.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there also some kind of fish CYOA with a detective crab or something? Or am I mixing CYOA threads

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Diogines posted:

You are making me feel bad about the many people the Capybaras sent to a horrible end...

This was the crowning achievement of my Gebeban cyoa.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

mercenarynuker posted:

Wasn't there also some kind of fish CYOA with a detective crab or something? Or am I mixing CYOA threads

I vaguely remember that one, but I don't remember if it ran its course or if it ended partway through.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

the_steve posted:

I vaguely remember that one, but I don't remember if it ran its course or if it ended partway through.

IIRC it spun off into its own thread where it succumbed to the CYOA curse

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

mercenarynuker posted:

Cuttlefish I think.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

There was a cuttlefish CYOA themed around HUNGER/Asherah and ocean life with like a cleaner shrimp character that got spun off into its own thread.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I hope Manny the Minotaur is alright and didn’t get turned into that roadside shrine

Diog?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

alpaca diseases posted:

I hope Manny the Minotaur is alright and didn’t get turned into that roadside shrine

Diog?

On the plus side, Manny's Minotaur Burgers was a really great short-term business opportunity.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You are Uriah "The Hammer", Commander of the Mighty Men of Kavodel and slayer of demons. You are not totally sure where that nickname came from, it didn't start in Kavodel. You are really, really, really fantastic. You are thirty pounds of great in a ten pound jug. However great a random stranger in this shithole of a city thinks you are, you are at an absolute minimum, fourty five, maybe fifty percent better than that. You are just so strong and quick and clever and funny and virtuous and brave that it is kind of embarrassing. You are just plain better than almost everyone you have met in your entire life. If you reflect on these feelings a little bit you don't come to the conclusion that you are a raging egomaniac, rather, you feel sort of bad for everyone else. But just a little. And you don't reflect on it much anyway.

And, and this is the important bit, you are so supremely confident of that fact that you don't rub it in other people's faces and that fact is probably what separates you from people like the rear end in a top hat who runs this city and could do with a good stabbing in the throat. You have no real desire to tell that to other people. The bit about how great you are, not the throat stabbing bit, well, that too. That and the fact you are a god drat hero who rescues women and children from monsters and demons, fights Eldritch Horrors on the regular that would drive lesser men mad and are on a Mission from El. You enjoy the mission a lot. It mostly revolves around you killing monsters and demons for Him and you are both very enthusiastic about that task and very, very good at it. Many of the original Balls are quasi-retired, you have not, if anything your time spent adventuring has only increased since Enkidel made the decision to become a potted plant in Kavodel. You don't know for sure but you've done some numbers in your head(being so great you are also great at math) and you have a theory. You suspect you are the most prolific killer of demons for thousands of years, depending on how you look at it. Maybe. No one has ever told you about mathematical formulas but you intuit it anyway even if you can't articulate it and the variables are roughly as follows:

A=Age of demon slayer at time of demon was slain
B=Number of demons slain.
C=Current age of incredibly sexy demon slayer
D=Demon Slaying Age Quotient

D=(A/B)/C

Which is to say, you are pretty sure you've slain more demons per year of your life at a younger age than anyone has since maybe the Old Tales? Definitely since at least the time of your King's great-grandfather which was what, a thousand years ago? Maybe longer? Not that they really go hunting like you do. Buuut the King did kill a bunch last Jubilee and several Behemoths... You've tried working in a point system or something based on ferocity but that is sort of complicated. Sadly you have no notion of how to chart it on a graph(or what a graph is) which would really help display the idea better but maybe if you...

These are the sorts of things you think about as you and your best buddy Enkidel run across Ur towards the grasslands. And right now you are thinking you need more wine and call for another pitcher. The weak swill they serve here does little for you, El preserve, it'll be hundreds of miles until you can get a REAL drink, but there should be at least a few places on your stop where you can.

You are at present in at a tavern whose normal clientele seem to be travelers and you are drinking and gambling, you've won a fair amount so far. You are of course gambling with Enkidel's silver. Why the El is he having you haul all of this crap across the entire world, if you find one is he going to PAY a demon to kill itself!? Sigh. It is not like you can't carry it but it is just so stupid. Speaking of stupid, one very, very stupid person even tried to stick their hand into your pack as you were playing, you turned around and just... glared at them for a moment and then they ran for it. You've been to Chorazin before and even if your adventures take you more west and south than north and east you've been to a few stops on your route. This place is loving terrible, if not for that shrine you needed cleaned you'd wonder why Enkidel stopped at this piss bucket at all and he actually wanted to STOP for one of their plays?! Ugh. You didn't run off because you knew that they were going to murder someone as performance art(though you'd not be surprised, you'd heard of such things), you left because you thought it would be so dreadfully, dreadfully boring. You know, it is a shame that Marnal's Mercy is... probably some place else because quite a few people around here could use a good stabbing. You had no desire to sit with whatever "nobles"(they use that word... El preserve... they really do... these people have no sense of shame but do not lack for irony) kissed Enkidel's rear end, or yours for a few hours and just didn't want to deal with such filth. It is much easier to deal with such degenerate filth by not dealing with them at all. And so you are currently attempting to enjoy a drink and playing darts and dice. Well, dice now. After a few rounds of darts you had no more challengers there. You lose the dice on purpose just enough to keep it interesting. It has been hours, hopefully Enkidel is finished soon...

"HELP! HELP!" you hear a man scream out in terror from outside of the tavern and in a swift movement you grab your pack, spear and shield and are on your feet and make for the door to the street. You step outside just in time to see...

A man wearing an expensive garment. Well less expensive now for it is soiled as he is tackled to the ground by three men with slave brands on their faces who beat him to death. You see others running down the streets and as you look up you see smoke from fires across the city...

[...]

Diogines posted:

"Right this way, we are honored by your presence" the man says as he misread you say "No thank you". The man, realizing that you declined looks confused and then asks "Hero, where are you going?" You tell him you can find your own seat and enter the arena, working your way past the crowds of your adoring public to the top of the arena, to the worst seats, to sit among slaves and prostitutes. All seemed confused by this and many people talked in quiet tones, or tones not so quiet about it having no idea you could hear. When you asked a very, very confused slave if "this seat was taken?" he could all but stammer "n-n-n-no" as he moved over a bit to make room. A number of those seated nearby immediately left, likely in fear of being caught in whatever events surrounded your decision to spurn the nobles of Chorazin by sitting among them.

The name of the man who you sat next to is Doret.

You bought him a drink and talked with him during the play. Doret calmed down considerably after some wine and even made a few jokes, between cups asking "If they are the Balls of Labaras, then where are the Shafts? Ha ha ha!" He seemed to find it hilarious when you revealed um, they exist actually. Well the Shafts of Zepa, which your brother leads. Doret provided good company during the play and may have made the whole ordeal at least a little less awkward, he answered several questions you had during the play, small things which did not make sense due to your time living in a distant and somewhat isolated city, cultural references. As to Doret, a man in his twenties, you discovered he lived in a village in a nearby city the Chorazins attacked a few years before the Jubilee and he has been enslaved here ever since.

You bought drinks for several of the slaves and whores nearby and the food vendors in your part of the arena did a pretty good trade that day. Those near you calmed down a bit, eventually. You answer many questions you are used to answering from those seated near you, is it true your father is Enkidu? No. Did you really kill a thousand demons? No. How many? More. Why are you black? Uh, its complicated. You have a good time, even if these sorts of questions get tiring eventually, those seated around you are friendly and make good company, you feel far more at ease here than you did in the house of that perfumed pig Lakip.

You are a very large person and have a considerable set of lungs before even considering any more than natural things about you and those seated near you shy back as you stand up and let out a cry of rage then shout out "YOU MURDEROUS ASSHOLES!" Every eye in the arena turns towards you and though you probably don't know it, many in the seating of a certain part of the arena will shortly be in the preliminary stages of making GBS threads bricks. You cry out loud for all to hear "I spent DECADES killing demons and protecting men and you FUCKS think so little of life that you would kill slaves for a loving PLAY!?" You are MAD and you ANGRILY make your way towards the exit! Many watch in shocked silence or confusion for you are at a play to honor you, a heroic figure and uh... you don't seem very happy about your play! Many are talking quietly, confused at what you just did.

You know, you were always pretty good at math and even if geometry is not a known art(*) in Ur, you probably know that if one were to draw circles within a circle, those drawn closer to the edge would be much larger than those drawn closer to the middle. Just a fun fact. No relevance to the current situation.

And many in the arena begin to talk quiet and angry words. Especially in the upper rows. You are ANGRILY walking down the stairs now, your displeasure evident on your face and you turn your head for a moment when you hear the voice of a man you've been enjoying the company of for a few hours rise to his feet and lifts a fist into the air and cry out...

"DEATH TO THE OPPRESSORS! DEATH TO THE TYRANT!"

Uh, the top rows of the arena may be the worst seats in the house but due to a basic fact of math that also means they represent a majority of the seats present in the arena and you see some already throwing pottery or cups, you see many people ANGRILY climbing to their feet as they cry out "DEATH TO HARDASH!" and "FREEDOM!" and "EL!" and more than a few of them cry out "ENKIDEL!" as they seem poised to rush down from the upper rows...

...oh gently caress. Hundreds, thousands of angry voices cry out as you race up the rows behind you towards the exterior wall of the arena. You spare a quick look over your shoulder to see thousands of very angry people rushing down in the opposite direction, attacking many in their path as others flee.

You see those in the "rich" seats running for their lives. You drop over the outer wall of the arena, grab the wall part of the way down and then drop all the rest of the way to the street. You can hear a considerable amount of shouting and screaming and yelling and people crying out in pain. You close your eyes for a moment to spread your Presence Senses out and find your countrymen when you hear someone much closer to you shout "Aaaaaaaaaaah!"

You open your eyes to see some merchant who has leaped, or much more likely was thrown from the top of the arena almost directly on top of you, head first, and who is most certainly going to die. You catch the very surprised man and set him down. "I... I... thank you Hero! They... they were animals! What luck, I... I cannot believe it! You were right there! It is really you! I've been trying to get to you all day! But what luck it shall be for you Hero, I have an amazing opportuni-" you hold out a finger to the man to be quiet, close your eyes for a moment and concentrate. He blathers on about something he wants to sell you, you ignore him. Mokt's Lament are not far apart, thank El, you run away from the man without saying another word...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5571

[...]

We need a little more time, sorry folks. But, we didn't want to leave you without anything so consider this to tide you over in the mean time, even if there are no options. Hopefully the next update with actual votes will be tomorrow.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 21, 2018

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

alpaca diseases posted:

Diog?
No comment.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Things are going smoothly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So far so good!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Rioting!
The unbeatable high!

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Man I love Uriah

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Eryxias posted:

Man I love Uriah

:emptyquote:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Man we really should help Uriah invent a graphing and data presentation system. Imagine how much we could tease him about being a massive nerd when this system becomes the one thing he's famous for.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Uriah is going to independently invent calculus so he can optimize his demon killing over time

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Diogines posted:

You close your eyes for a moment to spread your Presence Senses out and find your countrymen when you hear someone much closer to you shout "Aaaaaaaaaaah!"

... what!? I thought mighty men explicitly did NOT have presence sense akin to Enkidel. Like, I know they can sense the mountain -- but has this always been the case?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
^^PoV switched back to Enkidel

Uriah is v good but he can't eat people, he just wasn't born with the right parts (a gaping maw).

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Sorry merchant dude, my investment in you is saving you from falling to your death. Hope you can turn that into something profitable!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cornuto posted:

... what!? I thought mighty men explicitly did NOT have presence sense akin to Enkidel. Like, I know they can sense the mountain -- but has this always been the case?

it shifted back to Enkidel

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it shifted back to Enkidel

Oh, I'm dumb. :(

I thought Uriah went to the arena to see what was going on. I just literally and mentally scrolled past the quoted update since I'd already read it.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 21, 2018

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Cornuto posted:

The perspective had already switched back to Enkidel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my god I cannot wait to see the look on Uriah's face when we tell him what happened. I'd loving kill for a scene inside his head where he realizes Enkidel accidentally started a literally unprecedented event just by passively being Enkidel, but even just the look on his face is gonna own.