Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Apprentices are supposed to be your children or in some limited circumstances, the children of your cloae relatives. Usually siblings.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Diogines posted:

Apprentices are supposed to be your children or in some limited circumstances, the children of your clothes smell relatives. Usually siblings.
That is a perversely impressive autocorrect.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I know I’m repeating myself, but seriously, we aren’t talking nearly enough about this.

Kothar has an El approved Battle Gundam. Can you imagine Enkidel piloting a mecha to go fight a Doom? Sci fi all over your Mesopotamian game.

I’m not sure the suit would be the best choice for the best fighter though. It may work as a force multiplier for a Mighty man or something.

Are there any Old Tales about the Titan of Kothar being used in battle? How did it fight? rereading the update, question moot.

Edit: interesting how thereMs no mention about where Leviathan or Ogar were slain. I think I remember Ogar being the father f orcs and giants, fighting with a club or something. Leviathan is a big mystery...Probably the underground presence?

Double edit: kothar’s door picture has gears in it! It could even be as good a place as the Academy to learn about science and weapons of war. But horses and risking DOOM are cooler apparently.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 16, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zodiac5000 posted:

Also it's probably super obvious to all the other potters whether or not you actually have apprentices or are just buying slaves to dig clay. Nobody gets fooled by buying slaves and calling them apprentices.

I bought my adopted sons on the open market. All thirty of them. Hey kid! Get back to work!

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
G

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

I know I’m repeating myself, but seriously, we aren’t talking nearly enough about this.

Kothar has an El approved Battle Gundam. Can you imagine Enkidel piloting a mecha to go fight a Doom? Sci fi all over your Mesopotamian game.

I’m not sure the suit would be the best choice for the best fighter though. It may work as a force multiplier for a Mighty man or something.

Are there any Old Tales about the Titan of Kothar being used in battle? How did it fight? rereading the update, question moot.

Edit: interesting how thereMs no mention about where Leviathan or Ogar were slain. I think I remember Ogar being the father f orcs and giants, fighting with a club or something. Leviathan is a big mystery...Probably the underground presence?

Double edit: kothar’s door picture has gears in it! It could even be as good a place as the Academy to learn about science and weapons of war. But horses and risking DOOM are cooler apparently.
Do not read a single thing Into the image. It was meant for flavor. We could not find a good picture of really big metal walls. That was the best one that we came across.

As to your actual question, no. Supposedly after he finished building it he left the climb the mountain.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So.... We need to steal this robot suit. Is that what I'm getting from this? We desperately need to steal this robot suit.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Diogines posted:

You thanked Amos for what he shared with you and snuck out of the city without incident... until you reached the top of the city wall and caught a glimpse of a perfectly common and ordinary soldier on a distant tower making direct eye contact with you despite the fact it was (1)the dead of night and (2)there was no light to illuminate either of you but those of the heavens and (3)it was too far for a person to do such a thing with you anyway. The perfectly common and ordinary soldier said not a word except to watch as you descended, very clearly seeing you despite the distance and darkness and showed no sign of alarm.

Did we get the feeling this was a Melachim posing as a human, or just a human demonstrating the supernatural influence of probably-a-Melachim? The only thing I can read from this is a Melachim sending a message of “we’re watching you,” but honestly that seems kind of redundant. Unless this is meant to be a revelation that there are literally Melachim watching the walls around Amos’ temple.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think it's probably just them sending the 'we see you, we aren't going to do anything to you, be on your way' signal. When have they ever forced a regular human to do something instead of just appearing as a completely regular human?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Force? Much too heavy handed. Mess with environmental factors in such a way that they get the same effect? Plausible.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I definitely took that as a sign of "Yeah, we know you visited. Just be cool." Because the melachim was cool. The whole "perfectly common and ordinary" bit about the soldier reeks of melachim in human form. I wonder how we explained to Uriah about the delivery bird with healing salve from Amos. "Uhh, I got it from a merchant."

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Maybe it is the ghost of Da Muzi watching us. Some say he still stands vigil on those palace walls of Kitron to this day, waiting for the rains to end. And if you look close enough at your own walls on a pale moonlit night, you might just find him standing watch....over you.

:spooky:

Nah he's dead and in a giant fish orb

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man gently caress the numidium nothing good could lead up to or proceed from its activation

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Did we get the feeling this was a Melachim posing as a human, or just a human demonstrating the supernatural influence of probably-a-Melachim? The only thing I can read from this is a Melachim sending a message of “we’re watching you,” but honestly that seems kind of redundant. Unless this is meant to be a revelation that there are literally Melachim watching the walls around Amos’ temple.
You have no additional information besides what was posted. Draw from that what conclusions you will. How you feel about it is up to you.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Potters are supposed to dig up the clay themselves, or have their apprentices do it.

So why aren't we forcing all the traditional smiths and their apprentices to dig up their own ore from the mines, too?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well obviously that's not tradition :colbert:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm certain it was a Melachim, sending the general message of "we know you were talking to Amos, don't do anything stupid", but there's a nice easy way to double-check: Diog, can we recall the soldier's features beyond a general sense they were ordinary?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Diogines posted:

Do not read a single thing Into the image. It was meant for flavor. We could not find a good picture of really big metal walls. That was the best one that we came across.

As to your actual question, no. Supposedly after he finished building it he left the climb the mountain.

Dude built a giant battle suit and didn’t even use it? What a nerd, I bet he called he called us toys “action figures”.

Huh. KOthAr built a giant bronze suit for battle? Was one f his wives named Susan by any chance?

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

I definitely took that as a sign of "Yeah, we know you visited. Just be cool." Because the melachim was cool. The whole "perfectly common and ordinary" bit about the soldier reeks of melachim in human form. I wonder how we explained to Uriah about the delivery bird with healing salve from Amos. "Uhh, I got it from a merchant."

Also recall Amos's "If I tell you this, they may take you away" vote. The soldier could be interpreted as that they would have taken us if we learnt that knowledge.

kalam fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 16, 2018

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm certain it was a Melachim, sending the general message of "we know you were talking to Amos, don't do anything stupid", but there's a nice easy way to double-check: Diog, can we recall the soldier's features beyond a general sense they were ordinary?
Yes. They were very plain and typical and common for the city were in. He looked like a totally common soldier.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I thought we did learn it? No heaven but for the blooded.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

kalam posted:

Also recall Amos's "If I tell you this, they may take you away" vote. The soldier could be interpreted as that they would have taken us if we learnt that knowledge.

But we did tho.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A completely normal and unblooded soldier somehow saw us, a master of stealth, in the middle of the night, and was looking at us dead in the eyes from way too far way for a common person to be able to do so. He is described in a manner completely in keeping with every other Melachim we have ever met when they have taken human form. Which is more likely: A: A regular citizen saw us in extremely unlikely circumstances, looked us in the eye, and made absolutely no reaction at all or B: It's a "Hey, we're here, we're not taking you, but we know what went down. Be on your way now, citizen."

Not sure why it needs to be more complicated?

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Polgas posted:

I thought we did learn it? No heaven but for the blooded.

Magnusth posted:

But we did tho.

Yeah I misremembered. We did learn it. We did decline the knowledge, though he told us anyway. Maybe intent mattered?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Zodiac5000 posted:

A completely normal and unblooded soldier somehow saw us, a master of stealth, in the middle of the night, and was looking at us dead in the eyes from way too far way for a common person to be able to do so. He is described in a manner completely in keeping with every other Melachim we have ever met when they have taken human form. Which is more likely: A: A regular citizen saw us in extremely unlikely circumstances, looked us in the eye, and made absolutely no reaction at all or B: It's a "Hey, we're here, we're not taking you, but we know what went down. Be on your way now, citizen."

Not sure why it needs to be more complicated?

I was the only one entertaining the possibility that it was more complicated, but it seems pretty clear now that it was a Melachim. I got the "we see you" part but didn't appreciate the subtext of the "but we're not doing anything" part. Thanks thread!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Volmarias posted:

This isn't some second string donut city, Diogenes said that the MM would be a pretty big problem for us to try to handle. The king could probably paste us.

Huh, right, as the direct offshoot of a Great City I should probably be thinking of this as in the Tanaach-Ibleam range. Also we're not willing to use our bow against humans. That could actually be pretty rough to deal with if we piss them off. I wonder if they'd send MM after us even if we run.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I mean, a mighty man of Uriah's bloodedness being charmed by a demons is the kind of thing that any self-respecting mighty man of Ur would need to correct at all costs, one would think? Especially if they pass by your city. Figuring out a way to resolve this dorkery is probably important for not getting harassed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A. is for Assholes.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

malbogio posted:

Huh, right, as the direct offshoot of a Great City I should probably be thinking of this as in the Tanaach-Ibleam range. Also we're not willing to use our bow against humans. That could actually be pretty rough to deal with if we piss them off. I wonder if they'd send MM after us even if we run.
Zepath, according to your people was built by the only son of Labaras who left to build their own city. That would make Zepath a second generation city and this city a... fourth generation city? One less than Tanaach or Ibleam? So while you can and should readily expect to beat a bunch of mooks at the gate, it won't be trivial and you can't really hold your blows. That means that when serious backup shows up you will be in serious trouble. Fortunately, as a Pretty Great City, it is also Pretty Big so you can be confident you have some time until backup arrives.

No promises of an update tonight but if you want the chance for one, we need a count up soon. If you volunteer to count, please post to let everyt know you are doing so, thanks.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I can count

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

My hero!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Count is up. Looks like some poor bastard is going for a ride.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The smart money is that the perfectly normal and ordinary guard was a Melachim.
I mean, poo poo, who else is gonna make sure that a fellow abomination like Amos stays in his self-built jail cell?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Surprised J has so little support, killing people is probably not a very good way to endear ourselves to the locals. Like, yeah, take a hostage just to make everyone calm down, that's smart and I voted for it. But actually killing or at least severely injuring anyone is probably going to backfire and get extra backup called in on us and/or make them start playing serious and try to kill us harder, especially if the hostage doesn't work.

Also with our luck, the guy we paste is gonna be the son of the head of the local Smith's Guild and he's gonna make sure nobody lets us learn anything and then tell us to get the gently caress out and never come back to his city again you murderous rear end in a top hat.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Mostly I think that trying to get too cutesy with not hurting anyone is going to lead to us getting seriously attacked and having the kill more people than just the one dude.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Actively starting to kill them isn't gonna make the soldiers hate us less, if we kill their friend they're just gonna be even more convinced we're a dangerous monster that needs to be put down with everything they've got whereas if we try and play nice they might not escalate to breaking out the Shouts or calling in Mighty Men or whatever.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Diogines posted:

Yes. They were very plain and typical and common for the city were in. He looked like a totally common soldier.

Ok but what if we *really* looked? Studied that face like we were gonna paint it later or if we wanted to pick him out of a crowd?

If you say "he looks plain" then we're not looking hard enough

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You clearly remember what he looked like. He had black hair and a beard and square jaw. If you need a more detailed description, ask Bone Monkey to draw a picture of a typical Sumerian man. Giving him no additional information. What he draws will br accurate z whatever it is.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
All we're doing is punting a man very far away, right and grabbing a hostage, right? It'll probably hurt the guy, it *might* kill him but probably not, and these people are actively trying to kill both Uriah and Enkidel in a situation where they tried to de-escalate by retreating and the soldiers followed. If he dies, it's on these idiots heads for throwing the first stone. These idiots tried to kill two renowned demon slayers who made no aggressive moves to start things off other than refusing to be taken prisoner. I don't know exactly how much leeway we'd have culturally to demand some sort of recompense but we should go for all we can get at this point.

Diog, does Enkidel have kind of cultural knowledge or context from living his life in the ancient bronze age for the kind of recompense that would be involved in this if we demanded it? It's not exactly.... completely unprovoked from their perspective, since Enkidel does look like a cannibal monster, but it's sure as poo poo still them trying to stab the two of us to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Diog, what if instead of straight up apprenticing more craftsmen we let it be known we will give advice on their trades, Ishamal style?

We're great at almost everything we try, and we can just give people pointers now and again, particularly with metal crafting. It'd be a good multiplier for Kavodel's productivity.

We should also consider making equipment specifically for our balls. Using our BBronzecraft and experimentation with styles, we develop a panoply specifically tailored to each ball's strenths and abilities while still being somewhat standardized.

Eventually get our team of Super Elite Men at Arms What Hunt Genuine Demons kitted out as best we can. Join the Balls, get the iconic set of +3 Adamantium Scrote.

E: or if Scrote is too heretical, we call it the Jock, and makes entensive use of Straps.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 16, 2018