Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Voting for whatever comes closest to give him the finger and leave

edit: oh el, top of the page, one moment

:siren: Link to Votes

Paradise Lost Table of Contents | Wiki | Judah Thread | Recap | The Museum of Enkidel | World Map |

Come join us in IRC! #madgod on irc.synirc.net
Mibbit IRC Link - Just click to join us!
We have a discord too, somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
L

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
L.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Man a lot of these votes could end really badly for us, huh. Good thing team boring is out to vote for A or L and keep us safe.

J

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

If I can no longer tell cities of the threat to come, will the House of El send a more appropriate messenger to the border cities at risk?

Likewise, if I can no longer share what I know in hope of receiving aid, do you have suggestions for how I might find tools to aid in my cities fight against the demons?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
+1 in support of Zodiacs questions.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just to be clear. You're telling me I'm forbidden from telling men what happened to other men, but those same men aren't forbidden from telling other men what happened to men? I'm forbidden from talking about things I see? Or am I forbidden from telling men to do something about the things that men saw happen to other men? Because it sounds like you just don't want men to know what happens to other men. Is it my message or the truth that is the problem?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Outrail posted:

Just to be clear. You're telling me I'm forbidden from telling men what happened to other men, but those same men aren't forbidden from telling other men what happened to men? I'm forbidden from talking about things I see? Or am I forbidden from telling men to do something about the things that men saw happen to other men? Because it sounds like you just don't want men to know what happens to other men. Is it my message or the truth that is the problem?
The problem is the messenger.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The problem is that people think we are telling them the will of El. That's the issue all of this springs from. Even if we did not mean to, its happened, and that's an issue. I don't think they have an objection with warning people, just that us doing it has caused problems, so we are being ordered to stop doing it. If we found a more suitable person to warn people, we could go hog wild.

edit - reminder, this is what the priest actually said:

Diogines posted:

The kindly old priest says "Many reasons. They are numerous. But among them, one of them, is this. Men of great power are rare. You stand in an uncommon and privilege position, both of you, you Enkidel especially more than most because of your odd appearance. Other men, seeing great power become awed by it and being awed mistake this great power for our Creator. Even if you did not intend such and even if many did not believe you, it is not fitting Enkidel that you speak words to cause men to think you speak with His voice, which you have done. Men of great power must take the greatest of care when speaking with others lest their power be mistaken for the Divine Voice and if the message is such that such confusion is inevitable, then they should not speak the message at all. You will not spread this message further in Carine and you will not spread it among the cities you pass on your return. From what you describe your people have faced great struggles, struggles enough for one people I would expect, let the men of Zepath worry for Zepath and not trouble themselves with foreign cities."

Uriah, ever a stalwart and loyal servant of the priesthood does not seem pleased by this and says "High Priest... I mean no disrespect, surely but... I have seen the foes we faced and the terrible things they have done. To not warn all we can seems monstrous."

The elderly high priest says "So it may seem. But your friend is an improper messenger and while you a better one, you are not suitable either. Do not take my words and despair Zepathans that you have fallen from favor. It is for your loyalty, courage, stalwart devotion and service to El that you are chastised only gently and corrected to act wiser, not punished. But do not spread this message further upon your return home, if, you return home."

The bolded parts are the actual issues at hand. The priest has not commented on whether the message was good or bad, or whether we were right or wrong to spread warnings. Nobody is telling folks that we just need to let the donut burn, or can't warn people ever. The House of El is telling us that we are not suitable messengers, and that we can't continue doing what we were doing.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 19, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If it means anything when I suggested L I meant it sorta like this:

Diogines posted:

You ask the priest if you should make an offering. The kindly old man says "If you wish to make thanksgiving for the gift of another day, your health, the innumerable blessings we receive daily and to thank that your journey has been successful thus far? If you would make an offering for those reasons Zepathans, surely."

and not like this:

quote:

The old priest then says "Things won through great hardship and adversity and trials, things which are truly meaningful and struggled for are fine offerings and surely the flesh of the detestable and profane most of all. And lesser offerings, often, to remind you that all you possess He made and you are greatful, which you have certainly never neglected. No offering will correct what you have done and if that is your concern, instead, act wiser and do not compound the error. You have fought courageously for God and prevailed in many great trials, but be mindful that hand in hand with such deedz is the constant risk that your words are mistaken for the Divine Will, ensure such does not occur."

not to try to correct it but to be like "d'oh remember El & try to be more mindful in the future"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

And a reminder that the High Priest isn’t racist. It’s a matter of Enkidel being an aberration and oddity to many people. Something different that is walking around possibly telling the word of god. He says Uriah is a more appropriate messenger (not a good one. just somewhat more appropriate) because of his orthodoxy in appearance. A random schmoe would be even more appropriate which honestly is probably why the melachim are always wearing burlap sacks and not appearing in 10 ft tall shining bronze ebony giants. Unless they’re Smattas being a dick at our trial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
add to my A, make an offering for the usual reasons

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like that Azz showed up in full regalia almost immediately. He correctly figured out we didn't give a poo poo that he was a melachim beyond his ability to help or answer questions, so he didn' bother with the time-wasting hiding. "This kid would't worship me if I appeared as a giant pillar of gold, I'm not going to waste time with this burlap sack nonsense."

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
A

I support Zodiac's questions also.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

The problem is the messenger.

I know. I'm just trying to muddy the waters and maybe make the priest doubt what he's saying. Why should we be the only ones in the unsure box of confusion.

Also, there's always a chance we could find another high priest who has a different outlook, or hears our words differently and we can silver tounge him into thinking it's his idea to tell us we are doing the right thing, and that we have a duty to spread the word. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

A + ask Zodiac's questions

Want to get back to exploring. Checking out the giant tower would be cool, I'm really curious if it really is unstable or if it's actually the home of a powerful being and the instability is misdirection by the homeowner. Ala Amo's tree singing preserve.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TK-42-1 posted:

And a reminder that the High Priest isn’t racist. It’s a matter of Enkidel being an aberration and oddity to many people. Something different that is walking around possibly telling the word of god. He says Uriah is a more appropriate messenger (not a good one. just somewhat more appropriate) because of his orthodoxy in appearance. A random schmoe would be even more appropriate which honestly is probably why the melachim are always wearing burlap sacks and not appearing in 10 ft tall shining bronze ebony giants. Unless they’re Smattas being a dick at our trial.

But noone will listen to a shmoe in a sack. You need to appear to have authority to have authority. Basically he's saying noone should be spreading the word. Great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Outrail posted:

I know. I'm just trying to muddy the waters and maybe make the priest doubt what he's saying. Why should we be the only ones in the unsure box of confusion.

Also, there's always a chance we could find another high priest who has a different outlook, or hears our words differently and we can silver tounge him into thinking it's his idea to tell us we are doing the right thing, and that we have a duty to spread the word. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that.

Well, part of the problem was that nobody knew your actual goal was to use Enkidel's power of persuasion to find cracks in the priests statements/intent. I would suggest saying/voting for that, because I'm way more sympathetic to that goal than I am to really leading and accusatory questions that seem like they would just piss people off and not accomplish anything.

Outrail posted:

But noone will listen to a shmoe in a sack. You need to appear to have authority to have authority. Basically he's saying noone should be spreading the word. Great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

We can send somebody like Paebel, or some of the balls? They have authority and status, but nobody would confuse them for messengers of the divine (I hope).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zodiac5000 posted:

Well, part of the problem was that nobody knew your actual goal was to use Enkidel's power of persuasion to find cracks in the priests statements/intent. I would suggest saying that, because I'm way more sympathetic to that goal than I am to really leading and accusatory questions that seem like they would just piss people off.

We can send somebody like Paebel, or some of the balls? They have authority and status, but nobody would confuse them for messengers of the divine (I hope).

Well, I also want to piss these people off as well so consider it a multi pronged objective.

Hey priest, what are you doing to prepare Ur for the coming swarms of demons that assault our borders every 50 years or so? I mean it looks like you're doing nothing and that's pretty helpful, really! But aside from doing nothing what are you doing?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 19, 2019

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Wouldn't that be counter to muddying the waters? If we get the priest angry at us, why would he be more willing to value our perspective more? I would think that would just lead him to be even more sure that Enkidel is unwise and unable to responsibly speak?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zodiac5000 posted:

Wouldn't that be counter to muddying the waters? If we get the priest angry at us, why would he be more willing to value our perspective more? I would think that would just lead him to be even more sure that Enkidel is unwise and unable to responsibly speak?

I've written this guy off, it really doesn't matter what he thinks about us. But if we leave him angry and hopefully a little confused I'm happy enough.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Zodiac5000 posted:

I like that Azz showed up in full regalia almost immediately. He correctly figured out we didn't give a poo poo that he was a melachim beyond his ability to help or answer questions, so he didn' bother with the time-wasting hiding. "This kid would't worship me if I appeared as a giant pillar of gold, I'm not going to waste time with this burlap sack nonsense."

The regalia wasn't a display of trust. It was a temptation to test our character.

Kind of hard to tempt someone by offering them riches while wearing a burlap sack.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A whatever gets us out of the Walls of Text ASAP.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I don't think it was a display of trust, more of an acknowledgement that even as a kid we weren't going to bow down and worship somebody just because they have wings and look cool. Did he try to tempt us with riches at all in our first meeting? I don't remember that. I remember him pretending to be a man dying of thirst and then trying to cut a deal for our dog and I thought that was it, outside of his suggestion that we join him in partytown I suppose.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Zodiac5000 posted:

The problem is that people think we are telling them the will of El. That's the issue all of this springs from. Even if we did not mean to, its happened, and that's an issue. I don't think they have an objection with warning people, just that us doing it has caused problems, so we are being ordered to stop doing it. If we found a more suitable person to warn people, we could go hog wild.

edit - reminder, this is what the priest actually said:

The bolded parts are the actual issues at hand. The priest has not commented on whether the message was good or bad, or whether we were right or wrong to spread warnings. Nobody is telling folks that we just need to let the donut burn, or can't warn people ever. The House of El is telling us that we are not suitable messengers, and that we can't continue doing what we were doing.
I'm going to get two questions soon and then the update. Almost everything in this post is correct. I comment on that, because several questions could probably be answered by this post.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just had a thought. Did the priest say he was speaking on behalf of El? On behalf of the church, or just what he thinks?

Because it seems he's telling us not to tell people what to do because they might think it's coming down from on high when it's not, just because of who we are. And that's exactly what the priest is doing. Would we be listening to him if he was a random barkeep? It seems he's either relating Els voice (doubtful), putting words in Els mouth, or using his position to impose an authority he shouldn't.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
The problem with sending more suitable messengers is that no one is going to believe them. Or at least will be far less likely to believe them, which is effectively the same as not even sending a warning. We only met with several Kings through sheer force of Blooded strength, or our reputation proceeding us. We send a Houseman or someone like Paebel, those doors aren't getting opened.

Chastising us and telling us that the issue isn't the message, but the messenger, effectively kills the chance the message ever actually gets listened to.

So let's just nod, accept our foul tasting medicine like adults, and leave.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Outrail posted:

Just had a thought. Did the priest say he was speaking on behalf of El? On behalf of the church, or just what he thinks?

Because it seems he's telling us not to tell people what to do because they might think it's coming down from on high when it's not, just because of who we are. And that's exactly what the priest is doing. Would we be listening to him if he was a random barkeep? It seems he's either relating Els voice (doubtful), putting words in Els mouth, or using his position to impose an authority he shouldn't.

I mean a big part of the church's whole deal is that they ARE the only ones who speak on behalf of El

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

FoxTerrier posted:

If I can no longer tell cities of the threat to come, will the House of El send a more appropriate messenger to the border cities at risk?
"Such is not for you to be concerned with" the old priest says.

FoxTerrier posted:

Do you have suggestions for how I might find tools to aid in my cities fight against the demons?
The old priest says "Not in the grasslands".

Zodiac5000 posted:

Question for the priest, paraphrase as needed:

1.We are still looking for ways to fight demons. Our typical way is to describe attacks and the aftermath, and to explain that we are looking for weapons and knowledge because of all the things that happened. If we are no longer able to warn or speak of our experiences, Will the Priest/Church of El assist us by recommending/introducing us to folks who have useful weapons or knowledge here in Carine?
"We have aided you to enter the city, something you may have had trouble otherwise doing. But otherwise, no. The weapons of the men of Carine should remain in their hands."

Zodiac5000 posted:

2. only if question time's 'this will not cause real problems' field is in effect Has the priest heard anything of the city of Chorazin?
Roll for intelligence.

You suddenly realize that asking him about the status of a random Donut city would from his perspective either (i)be meaningless today (ii)be meaningless today but maybe raise flags if he later learns things occured there or (iii)invite a response if he somehow knew. Realizing that asking is almost certain to ONLY at BEST do nothing and possibly have very bad outcomes, you decide to not slam your dick in a door on the 33% chance the hinges break.

Zodiac5000 posted:

3. Does the priest have a map of the area east of Carine that we could copy or see?
"East of Carine is only the grass and those things within it" he says.

Zodiac5000 posted:

4. Does the priest know of any particularly pious and blooded merchants or traders in town[/b] - (idea is to try to find the Carine-equivalent to Agammemnon - it would be smart to find some blooded and well respected merchant or trader for grasslands info)
"Do you intend to implore upon these men that demons threaten to overwhelm Ur and then attempt to trade with them?"

Zodiac5000 posted:

5. Ask if the priest remembers ever meeting our Uncle Aaron? He was here a while ago, after all.
"No" the man says "I have never met him."

Zodiac5000 posted:

6. Ask if the priest has any knowledge of some of the more common dangers of the grasslands? i.e. are there goblin equivalents, is the problem mostly bandits? are there a bunch of one-off supermonsters just lazing about in caves, etc?
"The knowledge I shall give you is that it would be wisest if you did not enter that place. Beyond that, I will offer no guidance. I would not see a devoted servant of El march off to his death."

[...]

You try to gain more clarification from the priest about what you can and can't say and David, High Priest of Carine repeats what he said prior...

quote:

"I do not say if it is wise or not to send other messengers, I would imagine that is a question for your father, but you are not an appropriate messenger for such."

Then adding "Be especially cautious when speaking of fantastical deeds, the extraordinary and the shocking, things tremendously uncommon to men who were not aware of them, or things of a like or kind with them."

[...]

You can either get the update tonight or I can spend the next two hours answering what will be more and more questions for David, High Priest of Carine. Under the theory that most people would rather have the update, we are going to focus on finishing the update instead.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Update's fine. I'd have a followup to the merchant thing but I bet we can find a good un - or have our intent and access to David folded in without needing you to explicitly have him answer us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean a big part of the church's whole deal is that they ARE the only ones who speak on behalf of El

Well yes. That's my point. Is this guy actually relaying a message from on high or relaying a message from elsewhere in the organization or telling us what he wants us to do. Because unless it's the first one he's guilty of the same poo poo he's accusing us of.

E: update. We're not getting anything useful from this guy.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Outrail posted:

Well yes. That's my point. Is this guy actually relaying a message from on high or relaying a message from elsewhere in the organization or telling us what he wants us to do. Because unless it's the first one he's guilty of the same poo poo he's accusing us of.

E: update. We're not getting anything useful from this guy.

You're basically asking if the spokesperson for the president, who is at the podium in the white house press room, is speaking for the president. Yes, he's.

Contractions are weird and ending sentences with them is weirder.

E: to clarify, according to church doctrine the first two are the same and the third is unlikely based on what he's saying and what others in and out of the church have said.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 20, 2019

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
K

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Olothreutes posted:

Yes, he's.

Contractions are weird and ending sentences with them is weirder.

This is the second time today i’ve seen this abomination of language and it’s bugging me. I’d never even thought of it before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TK-42-1 posted:

This is the second time today i’ve seen this abomination of language and it’s bugging me. I’d never even thought of it before now.

I'm not the first person to butcher the English language and I won't be the last. Sorry!

E: Whoops, though I was being criticized for using a preposition. Nevermind :v:

But yeah, the church has held very different stances to El on topics before. We know they interpret doctrine. It's a fair question.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 20, 2019