Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Point out the distinct lack of a divine mandate saying "Don't do this" when we killed the groundhog. Suggest we'll be able to lure out whoever's running this tower by playing along for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A, use our godly diplomacy and the fact we've known Uriah as a brother for damned near a century to know what will work.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

C

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
It doesn't need to be a blood ritual to be a 'demonic' ritual. El's demonstrated plenty by now that playing along with the other side is super not cool, regardless of the form. We didn't do any blood rituals with the Orm, just asking for sympathy was enough to get us knocked off our feet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Theglavwen posted:

It doesn't need to be a blood ritual to be a 'demonic' ritual. El's demonstrated plenty by now that playing along with the other side is super not cool, regardless of the form. We didn't do any blood rituals with the Orm, just asking for sympathy was enough to get us knocked off our feet.

To play devils advocate, 'slaying all of the evil God's minions to get through his trap palace and kick his rear end' is pretty on point for Old tales heroic poo poo.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

That's cause Enkidel asked for help. El would have a different reaction if the Orm pledged allegiance to El which Enkidel should get to work on.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan Coq au Nandos.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Or even if Enkidel had just said "Hey El thanks for helping me through whatever the gently caress that was, Orm is pretty nuts amirite? Anyway you're a bro thanks here's a heathen idol because I know those are your favorite thing."

It was specifically asking El to comfort a false god (look we know the Orm isn't a god but it's literally been worshiped as one, there's a temple and idols there) that was the issue.

Anyway, we should get out of here because it's a pain in the rear end and I don't think we're strong enough to pull this off. There's zero evidence that the rooms we found on the way up are checkpoints that we can leave through, assuming we can do that is not good planning.

I also don't think that Uriah's power word: Stronk is "forcing" Enkidel to use ??? on the attack itself. I think the ??? use is the combination of several factors, including needing to harden our foot against a supernaturally strong attack on a supernaturally strong material. I'm not in love with using it, but honestly I think a trivial cost of a few (<5) dudestrengths here would probably be a net savings versus what we might need to expend to survive this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

Or even if Enkidel had just said "Hey El thanks for helping me through whatever the gently caress that was, Orm is pretty nuts amirite? Anyway you're a bro thanks here's a heathen idol because I know those are your favorite thing."

It was specifically asking El to comfort a false god (look we know the Orm isn't a god but it's literally been worshiped as one, there's a temple and idols there) that was the issue.

Anyway, we should get out of here because it's a pain in the rear end and I don't think we're strong enough to pull this off. There's zero evidence that the rooms we found on the way up are checkpoints that we can leave through, assuming we can do that is not good planning.

I also don't think that Uriah's power word: Stronk is "forcing" Enkidel to use ??? to do anything. I think the ??? use is the combination of several factors, including needing to harden our foot against a supernaturally strong attack on a supernaturally strong material. I'm not in love with using it, but honestly I think a trivial cost of a few (<5) dudestrengths here would probably be a net savings versus what we might need to expend to survive this.

But if we survive this we're getting some kind of boon or the opportunity to rifle through whatever was in the boon room if this place is abandoned.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

But if we survive this we're getting some kind of boon or the opportunity to rifle through whatever was in the boon room if this place is abandoned.

Considering how everyone else treats our ???, and how we usually treat it as well, what's the cost/benefit on a boon? Could we ask for the 600 ??? that we spent on the way up to be returned to us? And if the boons are being handled by an entity of some form, be it a nephilim or whatever, there's no boon room or spare boons laying about. You get to the top and ask for what you want and if it's a physical object it's probably created right there for you out of pure ??? by the boon-granter.

I guess the question is one that can't really be easily answered, but at what point is the cost of ??? too much to be worth spending on a boon of any sort? That's up to each poster, but I think the majority of us would probably not want to spend hundreds of dudestrengths on something unless it was truly insane. Like I might consider spending 100 dudestrengths on a bow that shoots lightning or something similarly absurd like that, but over 100 is too much for anything to be worth that sort of cost. All this is complicated by the fact that we have no idea how much ??? this tower would cost us. If you think we can make the climb with a cost of only 10 dudes then it's worth it, but I expect that the cost would be catastrophic if we could even manage to succeed at all.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

The textual evidence is that we're hosed. Only a handful of winners, one of whom we think was a six-fingered dude who's on Zepa's Obelisk, near the top of it. The door can't even be opened by the people of today, of which there are dozens in this very city who could kick our rear end unless we spend flagrantly on Hardening.

wtf people, we don't get level appropriate challenges, did you learning nothing from our various Assault Scouting missions and the Trail of Tears?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Azuth0667 posted:

How are our sandals after those super kicks?
They are fine.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

SANDALS! Join together to form Sandalwood Surfboard!

Uriah! Kill a bunch of bads so I can surf home on the blood of my enemies.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Changing from D to C

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
C

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I found a video of the rodent we killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_vZ-T6gPpA

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

C

Yeah, gotta let Uriah have his way sometimes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brain Candy posted:

The textual evidence is that we're hosed. Only a handful of winners, one of whom we think was a six-fingered dude who's on Zepa's Obelisk, near the top of it. The door can't even be opened by the people of today, of which there are dozens in this very city who could kick our rear end unless we spend flagrantly on Hardening.

wtf people, we don't get level appropriate challenges, did you learning nothing from our various Assault Scouting missions and the Trail of Tears?

It could be this is a manhood trial thing. They're expecting punk kid prodigies but still punk kids. It could be we drop kick everything up to a minotaur and get a nice knife.

Or its a giant murder tower. Who knows.

Anyway:

Walk up the walls and ceiling, pry out the 'sun' and sacrifice it to our god

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

If I had to decide, I don't think this is an exclusive for the best of the best trial only dungeon. We only have a small sample of the foes here but the first two hedgehogs and presumably the slightly bigger ones in further rooms can be defeated by actual normal humans. People from Athar are the least physically imposing people we know and they can accomplish this.

Why make the initial foe such a cake walk for your most grueling and difficult rite that only a few dozen have ever completed. Why is the door leading to outside the dungeon that weak that a bunch of punks can actually damage or even break it. Everything we've seen so far does not indicate a trial for the greatest heroes of a people that built this tower and had claimed an absurd amount of land specially in the olden days where old tale monsters and demons were common place in the region.

I support the idea that this tower at least this part of the tower is their version of a manhood trial. The whole offer up and offer down seems like a common saying so its emphasized here for the newbies to get it. Their kills even turn to roots and water completely in line with their agriculture based religion.

The dimming light in the room after the kill might simulate their nomadic roots or that they are were semi nomadic giving an emphasis a need to move after a time. We can actually find out after this vote if the manhood trial theory has merit if the dimming room has a means of pushing its aspirants into the newly opened room we just need to see how lethal it would be. Maybe it starts off just being cold and unpleasant until the aspirant takes so long the dungeon makes a slow but legitimate monster to scare the aspirant into the next room. Running away from monsters would be a legitimate strategy specially for people with some history of being nomads.

I believe after a few rooms some kind of check point will be seen. One door for those in a manhood trial and one for those wanting to enter the tower dungeon run.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Just to be clear, the door leading back out is barkstone and immensely strong, such that even our stupidly high strength alone can't budge it. The only thing that has left a mark is our (ridiculous, better than Blooded) full strength plus a strength-puffing power word, which is so draining that one of the most badass people in Zepath can only use it on us a handful of times.

I'm sure someone who knows how barkstone works could wisdom themselves through the door, but anyone who could do that probably has no reason to be here in the first place.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'd be down for an experimental nibble.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Outrail posted:

It could be this is a manhood trial thing. They're expecting punk kid prodigies but still punk kids. It could be we drop kick everything up to a minotaur and get a nice knife.

Or its a giant murder tower. Who knows.

Every battle tower is a giant murder tower. It's how you select the strong, we're just use to being the people who win instead of the scrubs who water the grass.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Y’all are forgetting Ishamal.

I’m 75% sure he would break us out of here IF WE ONLY SENT SNARLS TO HIM GODDAMMIT GOONS

We can fight until we get to something kinda dangerous, try not to kill that and then wait for the cavalry

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Mr. Nemo posted:

I’m 75% sure he would break us out of here IF WE ONLY SENT SNARLS TO HIM GODDAMMIT GOONS

We can fight until we get to something kinda dangerous, try not to kill that and then wait for the cavalry

Ish isnt here to solve our problems.
Im betting that he is gonna shrug his shoulders and say he advised against our trip.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
C. Ask Uriah to use up what is probably his last notable mystical feat for the day, or at least a number of hours, and help you Chazaq the door you first came through down.

Alright bud. Have it your way. Let's give this another try. If we don't get through, however, we're finding a different way. Maybe the next room is a bunny. They can be nasty foes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Nemo posted:

chazaqing the door one more time won't exactly take much time

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
C chazaq the door because it will be cool, then go out, get Uriah some late-night falafel and a few beers and come back and kill everything in the murder tower

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Go through the door so the ground doesn't eat us as the light goes out. Then call Ish over the Snulsophone.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 18, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

You wait for a time as Uriah rests, then clear flat an area of dirt and grass lay a cloth on it from your pack. The groundhog is less than pleased as you recover the snarling thing from the far side of the room and Uriah is not so pleased either shouting "You IDIOT! We are almost through the door and NOW you want to kill the drat thing!?" You calm Uriah as best you can but he is not pleased, none the less you grab the groundhog, hold it over your makeshift "altar" and say a prayer to El as you snap its neck.

-Click-

You don't even have a chance to slit its throat, drain the blood and pour oil over the corpse before you burn it, no sooner than you snap the neck of the groundhog the large wooden door at the far end of the room, across from the way you entered, opens outward, into another room. The writing on wooden panels next to the door does not change in any way, nor does the writing above it, the same writing above the first door you passed. In the next room you see...

A grassy wilderness which looks to be similar to the room you are in now, though this one has several bushes in it, the room is about the same size as the one you are in now and about forty feet long. You see the "sun" shining on the ceiling in the next room, some kind of glowing stone in the center of a painting of a sun. Like the room you are in now, the ceiling and walls seem to be painted to resemble the sky and horizon and painted masterfully well. Looking back down to the groundhog, you pull a knife from your belt to slit its throat and finish the offering but it is only moments until the groundhog begins to... dissolve.

The groundhog begins to dissolve into a tangle of roots, most slipping swiftly from your grasp and burrowing into the soil. You try to grasp some in your hands to keep for some later use and when you do, they split into even smaller roots, sliding between tiny gaps in your grasp. Some you do manage to keep but when you eventually open your hands you find within only a bit of dust and some water. After only a few moments, there is naught left of the groundhog. With nothing left to sacrifice, you pack up the cloth you laid out, pick up the cord you used to tie up the groundhog and prepare to enter the next room. Uriah is less than pleased when he says "gently caress Enkidel! When I asked if Snarls does the thinking for you when you leave home before I was kidding but NOW I am not so sure! Try pulling your head out of your rear end and USING it! There were TENS OF THOUSANDS of names out there and three score of them which seemed like they made it up. I don't even want to think about what is waiting for us further ahead in this place considering that El isn't going to piss on us if we were on fire if we PARTICIPATE IN A DEMONIC BLOOD RITE YOU MORON! Get that loving door down, you COLOSSAL dumb-rear end, or do you think we are going to fight our way all the way to the top?!"

The "sun" in the room that you are begins to very slowly dim.

You use your hearing and Presence Senses through the doorway to the next room. The grass feels to you like normal grass and you think you feel an entrance to a burrow somewhere in the next chamber, about the same size as the one you found here, maybe a little bigger? Your Presence Senses are not up to the task of feeling down the thing, only finding it among the grass and bushes.

You agree to Uriah's demand and so you give the door several more firm kicks to prepare, then Uriah shouts a word, though to simply call it a word is too little, you can feel it in your very bones and greatly desire to kick the door harder as you feel limes and lemons fill your sinuses.

CHAZAQ!

-WOOSH-

Air is displaced with great speed by the terrible fury of your kick. You kick into the center of the several feet deep outward bulge you have kicked into the door already. The door shudders, indeed the entire room seems to shake for a moment as cracks cover most of the surface of the door and the buldge in the door explodes outward!

You see bits of the white stone break off from the door and where it does you sense odd things you have no words for and see the stone dissolve into colors you know can not be seen by men and other new colors you have scarcely seen before either until swiftly the broken fragments are gone! From your MIGHTY blow the door has been blown outward!

Literally.

Like the blowing of a soap bubble or in another cosmos, blowing a bubble in chewing gum or blowing glass, a cone now rests in the midst of the door, a number of feet long and quite wide, in a messy cone like shape with pieces of the cone missing and indeed there are numerous small holes in the cone and one larger one at the very end. You can clearly see through many of them into the chamber beyond. The largest of the holes is scarcely larger than your hand and far too small to fit through. You give the door several firm kicks and it does not budge further.

This would probably be the point where Uriah would yell in rage or possibly laugh, maybe one then the other, but he does neither, having tired himself out, he now lay unconscious on the dirt. Whether angry or calm you smash at the door very hard for several minutes but it does not budge even a little, even as you place furious blows upon sections of it as thin as a parchment. Overhead the "sun" continues to very slowly fade. Doing some quick math based upon the change in brightness it would take a bit less than an hour to dim entirely?

Diogines posted:

We did not want to use a real world object to describe it but after an IRC response we are afraid the description may be unclear. Imagine a traffic cone.

Now imagine it is about thirteen feet wide at the base. Now pick it up and point it so the pointy bit faces away from your chest. Then cut off the very tip, poke a bunch of holes in it and color of white, then add a tree bark texture. You kicked a buldge into the door, then made it deeper, then when you "popped" it, kicked it into that shape, indeed piercing the door but... probably not in the way you wanted.

1. What do you do?
H. Continue trying to break the door down with blows.
I. Try breaking the door down another way. How? Fill in.

S. Yell, rant, curse and possibly scream in frustration

T. Enter the next room, carrying Uriah with you.

U. Drag Uriah towards the door to the next room incase you need to leave quickly and rest there for a time until Uriah wakes up. Uriah has used a newly discovered ability and you have no neat and tidy answer on how long it will take for him to awaken, nor how long until he is "recharged". You have enough food for several days. You guess that Uriah should be awake in less than half a day, regaining use of his more exotic mystical abilities may take longer, but such are truly guesses. Reassess your next action when Uriah can speak again.

V. Pray to El for guidance.

Diogines posted:

With Uriah unconscious, you pray to El for guidance and wisdom, as you have many times.

If El responds in any way His response is not apparent. You speak into the open air addressing the Watchers of Zepath. "Guys? Any wisdom, tips, guidance, suggestions.... secret door opening knocks? Pretty please?"

Your only reply is silence.

Option V is now removed.

W. Something else. Fill in.

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 18, 2019

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

laugh (lmfao), then V+ Snarls to Ish already

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

V I guess. There's no way we think we can replicate a CHAZAQ ourselves, right?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

V

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Haha.

I think we need to go back to 'sticking to the plan'. Continuing to climb would have borne fruit by now, probably.

Nibble on the thinnest bit of white stone

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We did not want to use a real world object to describe it but after an IRC response we are afraid the description may be unclear. Imagine a traffic cone.

Now imagine it is about thirteen feet wide at the base. Now pick it up and point it so the pointy bit faces away from your chest. Then cut off the very tip, poke a bunch of holes in it and color of white, then add a tree bark texture. You kicked a buldge into the door, then made it deeper, then when you "popped" it, kicked it into that shape, indeed piercing the door but... probably not in the way you wanted.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Diogines:

Is the chamber we can see through the holes we've kicked in the door appear to be the same room we entered from?

Gonna laugh if all that effort and there is some wonky metphysical stuff going on and it's just another room of the challenge.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
T

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Task Manager posted:

Diogines:

Is the chamber we can see through the holes we've kicked in the door appear to be the same room we entered from?

Gonna laugh if all that effort and there is some wonky metphysical stuff going on and it's just another room of the challenge.
You clearly see the room you came from, you can see the big wall with names on it

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

V

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Not sure what I want to vote yet, but I did want to throw in there that we should absolutely, positively, maybe probably, not drag Uriah across the dirt:

Diogines posted:

"It says... Grow strong in the light of day nurture the soil in dusk. Ascend to Nisaba and claim your Greatest Desire. Offer Up your struggle and Offer Down the bones and blood of the vanquished." Uriah scowls "I don't know why this place is still standing but I have a strong feeling that you are the first person in just about forever to actually open that door. Someone left a job undone and I say it is LONG past due! Let us topple that statue, smash the altar and burn as much of this place as we can!"

Doing so very well may result in us passing the test of this room by allowing this funky soil to eat up on an unconscious Uriah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I Eat the barkstone door

Now that Uriah is unconscious no one can see our shame.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 18, 2019