Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I never understood why people keep insisting that developing tech that can free up the most blooded people from having to do everything everywhere is a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Polgas posted:

I never understood why people keep insisting that developing tech that can free up the most blooded people from having to do everything everywhere is a waste of time.

The Ur Boomers

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Polgas posted:

It’s not that it’s a waste of time, it’s just that’s the stuff that’s not going to be controversial. You aren’t going to have old guard naysaying and calling it heresy if it’s actually useful to them.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The conservative old guard views any innovation as heresy. The only time it doesn’t matter is if they are learning Blooded secrets, like with making better Blooded Bronze, but I’m pretty sure they would still have a fit if they saw our forge.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Polgas posted:

People in-setting do it because capital G God, in person, told somebody how to do everything that matters. If that way involves a very blooded person doing something in a specific, laborious way, it is by definition not a waste of time, because God said that is how its done.

People in the thread presumably do it because time, effort, and attention are zero-sum and they have their own pet issues.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I was actually refering to the thread actually. From claiming walls were useless to embiginners being worthless.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Well then yup, zero sum equation, different value structures and assumptions about return on investments etc. Understanding achieved.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Capturing one of the sandwich's pebble throwers would be a massive, massive get until we realise we have no way of producing the pebble powder that makes it go. Although snarl's nose might help with that

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Which is why we are blocked from even attempting to think about it. I still want to find some way to undo that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ninhursag seem like the types of people who might actually sell us the secrets of the delicious secret spice they use on those sandwiches we love if we brought them enough uranium. Teaching the savages how to make firecrackers is a hilarious prank to play on the neighbors, even!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Have we asked a horse trader why they don't do so well in Ur?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

super sweet best pal posted:

Have we asked a horse trader why they don't do so well in Ur?

Stone sickness.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Ninhursag seem like the types of people who might actually sell us the secrets of the delicious secret spice they use on those sandwiches we love if we brought them enough uranium. Teaching the savages how to make firecrackers is a hilarious prank to play on the neighbors, even!

That would disrupt the mass human sacrifice the PtB are totally powerless to stop looking the other way on to the child of good ol’ Faramu.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Ninhursag is one of those places that I don't think we'll really ever get back to, barring something crazy like the Accorock being bought plus Snarls finding some Uranium free range, but I wish I knew what the gently caress is going on in there.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Unless we develop tools or powers as a society to fight things underwater we don’t actually have control over the waterway should Asherah seek to contest us there.

You would be right but water physics don't work correctly on Urth.
A giant octopus threw us upwards while we were underwater. He threw us probably a 1000 feet or something.
Normal bullets get completely shredded in a few feet of water and they're streamlined. We should have been shredded to pieces by the drag but we were fine.
I'm sure spears of even Mercy will work just fine underwater

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

People in-setting do it because capital G God, in person, told somebody how to do everything that matters. If that way involves a very blooded person doing something in a specific, laborious way, it is by definition not a waste of time, because God said that is how its done.

People in the thread presumably do it because time, effort, and attention are zero-sum and they have their own pet issues.

Labarious way you mean

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Basscop posted:

A giant octopus threw us upwards while we were underwater. He threw us probably a 1000 feet or something.
Normal bullets get completely shredded in a few feet of water and they're streamlined. We should have been shredded to pieces by the drag but we were fine.

I like the idea that the Octopus buffed us up when he threw us because he thought we were just too stupid to hurt, like we were a three-legged dog to him because we wouldn't stop wiggling. "This... thing is clearly defective. Might as well make them keep taking care of it."

Greggster posted:

Labarious way you mean

Oooh, that's solid.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 19, 2019

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Basscop posted:

I did sort of forget that water resistance isn't really a thing on Urth. But our experience is also a somewhat misleading baseline, since we can functionally hold our breath indefinitely, have insane mobility due to our wings, and have insane strength that is going to trivialize whatever water resistance that does exist.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Dancing the dance of friendship at the Accotopus still remains one of Enkidel's finest acts of diplomatic cunning or probably the sheer desperation of wanting to befriend things that keep trying to kill/eat him.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

Ninhursag is one of those places that I don't think we'll really ever get back to, barring something crazy like the Accorock being bought plus Snarls finding some Uranium free range, but I wish I knew what the gently caress is going on in there.

Plus there’s no way Tudiya would allow us to export the ore. Let’s be honest it’s highly likely he knows all about the not-uranium’s and what theyre used for

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

alpaca diseases posted:

Plus there’s no way Tudiya would allow us to export the ore. Let’s be honest it’s highly likely he knows all about the not-uranium’s and what theyre used for

Ninhursag gave other request though. Maybe not quite not uranium but maybe about four decades worth of it can be traded for some one shot thing for the jubilee we'll inevitably need.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

alpaca diseases posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is this

Kavodel and what we mine there has always been ours

e: the reality is Enkidel flat-out can’t deal with some of the poo poo getting deployed on the battlefield. Let’s get a fuckin’ lightsaber to even the odds

Victis fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I also think we should trade with the weird alien city protected by deadly illusions, all they're asking for are magic rocks and nuclear bomb parts.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Enkidel really is the Nepihilim equivalent of a toddler that thinks raccoons are kitties.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Blasphemaster posted:

Enkidel really is the Nepihilim equivalent of a toddler that thinks raccoons are kitties.

Trash kitties are cute :colbert:

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Since we’re in some down time, I’ve cooked up a rough draft on quest to give to kavodel adventurers during the next timeskip if Enkidel survives the grasslands. I want to see what the thread thinks.

Potential side quest to occupy the kavodel adventurers or the endless hunger for glory in kavodel.
1. Hunt down Elderman Etana, head of the local cult of Fare.
Assign to Esher and the 100ish younger balls since they want to stand out more. Killing or capturing Etana is not only practical but they get to pull a Danal and do something Enkidel failed to do.

2. Kill that Hag near kitron before Asherah recruits her.
Puabi said she was weak on a certain period or something similar. Send Uriah and the best balls. Enkidel can’t come because it’s too near the sea. Might be too dangerous because Kitron is too near.

3. Find that cave puabi mentioned that exist but managed to elude Enkidel and Snarls.
Snarls and Paebel team mission? If they find it send some balls to poke around?

4. Map out the river upstream of Lake Acco.
Send out d-tier kavodel adventurers first to see if there’s stuff there worth the heavy hitters.

5. Head south and find monster and demons tough enough to settle down.
The rough plan is to use the younger balls and adventurers to scout and get the uriah and the vet balls to head there and kill demons and monsters that can’t be negotiated with to stockpile magical loot. Try to guess which ones Uriah and company can actually beat and lower the threat level until its just a minimum to medium level threat to them.

6. Head to the grasslands and explore.
Start an old man ball fund to pay for young adventurers wishing for several years of adventure in distant lands. Just put a caveat of no attacking Kadmonim except in self defense. This current run to Baitshapash is vital in assessing the viability of the plan like the need to ask the local tribe in the area which monsters are cool to kill to prevent incidents like accidentally killing their local patron god.

7. Head to north east Ur border and return to report.
Simple and straightforward, what is the border city there like and what do they face?

8. Head to the Nusku desert and return and report.
I doubt they can find a way to get pass the demon cats of Nusku but this is just the first field report to know what’s there and check up on the border cities there. What was the jubilee invasion army like?

9. Head north skipping Kitron checking up on all the Urian cities nearest to the sea and return when they reach the Domain of Sier. Do not step a single sandal in Sier vassal territory.
We urgently need to assess the extent of Asherah incursions into Ur and the state of the border cities. Sier is a definite no go for any Zepathan. Use the Fist of Faradnu for this so they actually stop their suicide runs at the beach and actually contribute to the war against Asherah with some old fashioned recon.

Basically aside from info gathering I want to provide other avenues for young adventurers to chase glory so they don’t just run towards the sea and die. Think of it as deadlier but hopefully not suicidal trips to collect plants and animals.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 19, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Recon patrols aren't glorious though, that's why the glory hounds aren't doing them and are instead suiciding into the sea. A thing doesn't become glorious and desirable (just) because we declare it so, they're always going to want to kill monsters and these days the only monsters left are in the ocean.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

It's less declaring that as a source of glory more of being the first to achieve it so. Like the zoo animals or the garden plants.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Victis posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is this

Kavodel and what we mine there has always been ours

e: the reality is Enkidel flat-out can’t deal with some of the poo poo getting deployed on the battlefield. Let’s get a fuckin’ lightsaber to even the odds

Fairly certain Tudiya enacted a rather choicely worded edict re: finding and trading things in the ground to foreigners, post-our Acco camping trip

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am sorry for the slow down folks, we will get something up tonight.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I think it was mentioned by...Chait? That Ur's northeastern city was on a "shore" filled with glaciers and fought ice golems.

I may be making poo poo up, but those five minutes where Chait started answering or questions was glorious.

#TeamTruth #noRegrets

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

alpaca diseases posted:

Fairly certain Tudiya enacted a rather choicely worded edict re: finding and trading things in the ground to foreigners, post-our Acco camping trip

This is what he said, fwiw:

"He has decreed that any man who assists foreigners in the discovery of new gems, ores or any such riches of the earth in significant numbers without consulting his counsel will be gelded."

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
"Well son, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, Aaron fetch me my gelding tools"

"Wait dad, didn't your edict say "any man"?"

"Is this some Ruth bullshit Ennkidel? Beca-"

*Enkidel reveals his wings*

*Watchers facepalm*
*Ishamal takes out hisnrusty knife*

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mr. Nemo posted:

"Well son, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, Aaron fetch me my gelding tools"

"Wait dad, didn't your edict say "any man"?"

"Is this some Ruth bullshit Ennkidel? Beca-"

*Enkidel reveals his wings*

*Watchers facepalm*
*Ishamal takes out hisnrusty knife*

:eyepop:

Finally, we get to play the "sort of not a human" card.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hey Ish, what's rust?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Victis posted:

This is what he said, fwiw:

"He has decreed that any man who assists foreigners in the discovery of new gems, ores or any such riches of the earth in significant numbers without consulting his counsel will be gelded."

Emphasis mine. He didn't say we can't do it, he said we can't do it behind his back. Tudiya is not an idiot and has information we don't, he can consider the risk compared to the potential benefits.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Waci posted:

Emphasis mine. He didn't say we can't do it, he said we can't do it behind his back. Tudiya is not an idiot and has information we don't, he can consider the risk compared to the potential benefits.

It says discovery. They're already aware of the mineral and we don't tell them where we found it. In the clear.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

It says discovery. They're already aware of the mineral and we don't tell them where we found it. In the clear.

If we wanted to be that level of rules-lawyering rear end with our dad (which, since Diog sometimes tracks thread consensus outside of votes, I want to clarify I don't) we could also just say he only required consulting his counsel, not actually following it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Outrail posted:

Uh, for what it's worth, we should definitely consult 3Dad and Ish before we provide an unknown entity with strange and rare minerals. For all we know, the salt flat and illusions were put in place from the outside, not by the Democratic People's Republic of Ninhursag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemaster posted:

Hey Ish, what's rust?

:aaaaa: