Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Killing it without powers is just part of the fun, it's like challenge mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, we shouldn't even need to use our powers unless poo poo goes really, really wrong. Like, almost all of our lethality comes from our "mundane" archery. Uriah is a bit more nerfed in this, but he's a fuckin' monster.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Uriah's powers are probably slightly more ok to use? He's ultimately just a blooded man so he might draw less attention? We're the abomination unto creation that must be apprehended at all costs, so if he ends up having to harden or something it's probably 'loving book it afterwards' time, whereas us going invuln could translate to 'you are already dead'?

edit - Uriah's power usage is 'discouraged', per Ish, so that's not exactly 'do this and die' at least!

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 16, 2019

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A. Screw this guy and his horse, it's not worth it now. Let's just take one of the other leads. Running straight into a giant monster that nobody else around has been able to take down is exactly what we shouldn't be doing if we're trying not to use powers - we have no idea how tough this thing is going to be, and we're screwed if it turns out to be tough enough that Uriah needs to sling some words around. Not to mention I don't trust this dude at all. They're willing to give so much to deal with this, there's something he's not saying. We're going to get there and there's going to be some big snag that's going to cause us endless trouble, we'll end up debating whether to kill the sentient rhino-elephant who's just protecting its young vs. break our public deal with a powerful and influential blooded family or something.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I do kinda think this guy is dealing straight with us here. We advertised ourselves as hilariously powerful and successful monster hunters from across the world and are ten feet tall and decked in the best armor imaginable, so they have no reason to doubt us. They appear to legitimately have a giant-rear end monster about and they can't kill it, so when the monster-hunter shows up and asks, unprompted, for something extremely valuable, they're trying to cut a deal. They wouldn't give us Yafa as a downpayment if they expected us to flake on them or were sending us to certain death, would they? I doubt they took Yafa with the intent to bargain with us, because why on would they expect that to work? Signs are pointing to this being on the up-and-up, unless I'm missing something?

Edit - Aw hell, B.

Let's do this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

SerSpook posted:

Honestly, we shouldn't even need to use our powers unless poo poo goes really, really wrong. Like, almost all of our lethality comes from our "mundane" archery. Uriah is a bit more nerfed in this, but he's a fuckin' monster.

Serious combat as practiced by the blooded of your home makes extensive use of lots of temporary hardening. He isn't going to even be able to use a spear or sword at his full strength, lest he break it. While he certainly has auperior coordination to you and is tougher, the loss of his mystical abilities drastically reduces his combat effectiveness. The ability to completely hardened materials, very briefly, but numerous times at critical moments is a key part to the combat style of the elite of Zepath.

TLDR; Anyone who thinks that Uriah losing his mystical abilities is not a big deal as far as his combat capability is concerned is objectively wrong. Whether or not he is up to the possible challenge ahead without them is a different issue.

We have some questions to get to, we will be getting to them as we have time.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Diogines posted:

Serious combat as practiced by the blooded of your home makes extensive use of lots of temporary hardening. He isn't going to even be able to use a spear or sword at his full strength, lest he break it. While he certainly has auperior coordination to you and is tougher, the loss of his mystical abilities drastically reduces his combat effectiveness. The ability to completely hardened materials, very briefly, but numerous times at critical moments is a key part to the combat style of the elite of Zepath.

TLDR; Anyone who thinks that Uriah losing his mystical abilities is not a big deal as far as his combat capability is concerned is objectively wrong. Whether or not he is up to the possible challenge ahead without them is a different issue.

We have some questions to get to, we will be getting to them as we have time.

Couldn't he just pummel it with his hands like Tudiya did to the behemoth? Or is that still using Blooded Powers

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
We could give him our club? We can't break it and we can't harden. Sure he hasn't trained with a club, but we know for a fact he won't break it while beating the snot out of this monster.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Something really doesn't feel right about the distances. This monster is 1.5 months away for us. That's what, a 5-9 month journey for regular people? People that far away from Kavodel have barely even heard of us and were a bigger deal than this thing (in terms of newsworthyness). It feels like a red herring to stop us exploring the grasslands than anything else.

By the time we get back there won't be any time to actually use the information he might give us.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

We could give him our club? We can't break it and we can't harden. Sure he hasn't trained with a club, but we know for a fact he won't break it while beating the snot out of this monster.

I think our club is probably too big for him to use well. It's sized for a 10 foot tall dude and the weight is probably also heavy enough that if you aren't slinging around with the strength of 500+ men all the time it's hard to move very quickly.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I suspect it would fill the 'greatsword/maul' niche for Uriah instead of 'sword/spear', but having any weapon for him is probably better than no weapon?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm talking out of my rear end with assumptions but in tall grass there's a chance we could shower the Hephalant with arrows from miles away, duck down reposition and repeat for quite a while before it figures out where the hell we are.

Unless it's a clever monster and then we're hosed. It's probably a clever monster nevermind.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zodiac5000 posted:

I do kinda think this guy is dealing straight with us here.

Fuckin' lmao goddamn it Enkidel

Yes this literal sleazy crime boss is on the up-and-up, who smugly just happens to drop knowing something about us moving poo poo around in the night

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 16, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Diogines, in the past where have we found blue stones inside of monsters? Particularly were they in place of an organ or integrated into an organ?

I am surprised the lead right now appears to be taking the offer without any attempt at negotiation given we are pretty good at haggling.

It would be a shame if we ended up agreeing to murder a potentially non-hostile elephant only to give both the resulting magic weapon and blue stone to these slave-murdering jerks and then needing to run home because we had to use our powers, with the only benefit being a horse we either give to the Bencaleb to improve relations (like we ever get to come back) or we keep the horse and watch it slowly die of an illness we have no way to prevent.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We eat the bluestone, we suddenly understand how electricity works, we use that knowledge to bring electricity to Kavodel.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't think blue stones work that way. Not that I have any proof, it just seems unlikely that we get any powers from one. My money would be on just a bunch of ??? and maybe side helping of insanity.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Did we ever ask Igal if he knows any powers?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A.

This is a terrible deal, we aren't going to have time to go to the grasslands, we're going to light ourselves up for no reason, and the heart and tusk are probably some super weapons. Blue stone heart, Cephalot claw style tusk.

And this thing is probably the Gonaives tribal monster that they want to kill, just like the Bencaleb had a giant groundhog.

gently caress this and gently caress Yafa. Let's just go, head into the grasslands.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Victis posted:

Fuckin' lmao goddamn it Enkidel

Yes this literal sleazy crime boss is on the up-and-up, who smugly just happens to drop knowing something about us moving poo poo around in the night

What part of what he's asked for or done indicates he is not operating fairly above board with us right now? He's asking us to do the thing we came into town and literally bragged about doing AND we made him a whole shitload of money.

edit - I have no doubt this dude does shady poo poo. But I assume when crime bosses want monsters dead they go to the same monster hunters as everybody else?

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 16, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

Sadly you cannot ride a horse, though the Kadmonim use them to pull loads you are too tall and muscular to ride one lest you hurt it. After some inquiry you discovery that supposedly some of the tribes further away have BIG horses, much larger than the ones most in Kazdack ride, ones big enough even for a man of your size. After some searching you find a wealthy trader owns one of the largest used for carrying heavy loads in Kazdack, perhaps one distantly related to the larger sorts which live deeper in the grasslands?

The man thinks it very strange that you want to ride a pack animal and warns that it is not trained to be ridden upon, but for a fee he will let you ride it for a short time.

If strangers were told that Zepath had great beasts as pets men would be sceptical. Such things may have existed in the Old Tales but that was long ago. A well known and much beloved dog of great size, long life and reputation lived in Zepath, Barkof, was the last vestige of those ancient bloodlines in your corner of Ur. Still, there was a time in your life when some of the oldest men in Zepath knew the beast and Barkof the man was named after him. It is widely believed that Snarls is his descendant and it really is possible he could be, Snarls's genealogy is not well known so he could be, though they look nothing alike. Gullible visitors making their way to or from the Zuu risk being cheated on Acco or Dor by men selling "puppies" of Snarls, often adult dogs with only a vague resemblance, if that. Such conmen can expect a punishment if caught in Dor. The reason this does not occur in Kavodel is that the first time a foreigner was caught trying it(none of your people ever would), the man had to be rescued from an angry mob of your countrymen by Eleazar.

According to the Kadmonim their Great Men or Heroes have horses fit to their greatness, horses possessing fantastical attributes, bordering upon the supernatural qualities. Those you have spoken with from Ur put little stock in such takes but apparently Yafa is a famous horse of superb and if not unique quality, then unique as known to the men of Kazdack, perhaps if not a Barkof quality dog than Barkof-sort-of-adjacent-or-a-step-or-two-down-ish?

Carecalmo posted:

Ask him if we can see the horse right now. Then ask the magical horse if she knows how to get to Baitshapash, and if she would be willing to take a true Horse-Friend there.

Let's find out just how fantastic this horse is. We might not need any other guide.
You ask if you can see Yafa, Yitzchak says "Of course". A few minutes later you, Uriah and Igal follow Yitzchak and his two guards to another chamber in the compound with thick stone walls, torches within but naught but two small slits in the wall with which to let in natural light. The only inhabit is the horse, though you can't help but notice fixtures on the walls which look like the sort manacles could be attached to, though you see none. There is trough in the roof and some hay. Before the three of you enter Yitzchak says with a slightly apologetic tone "We were making arrangements for sale and only keeping it here a short time, though being inside does not seem agreeable with its... free spirit. I assure you, the horse is mild and eager to please and even follows simple instructions, in the Kadmonim tongue. This magnificent beast shall serve you well, certainly it displays its vitality and strength even at this moment."

You heard what sounded like a very angry animal trying to break a door down as you approached this part of the building and Yitzchak takes a few steps back as his guards open the door a crack, only for a VERY angry horse mouth to shoot out and bite one of the guards on the arm. Lending your prodigious strength to the task, you enter the cell with Uriah and Igal and closes the door behind you.

There is a very big and very unhappy horse inside a relatively confined space with you. It rears up on its back legs almost hitting the ceiling of the room in doing so as if it means to strike down upon you with its front hooves. The horse is even taller than the pack horse you rode, about eight feet tall at the top of its head.

Erbuke's description of the animal does not do it justice. It is a shade of yellow brighter than any horse you have seen so far in Kazdack and in different shades as well, with you several tight spirals in different shades on each of the creatures sides. You are no horse aficiando despite your inexplicable love of them for most of your life, but this horse is gorgeous. And very angry. And about to smash you in the face with a hoof.

With a flair of its nostrils the ANGRY horse drops down and then begins to sniff at the air and after two good sniffs visibly relaxes and sniffs at the three of you. Somehow the face of this horse is particularly expressive and it looks at you, sadly. It makes eye contact with Igal, something no horse you have encountered so far has done, look someone in the eye, and makes a sad horse noise and then taps a hoof on the door twice, then looks back to you and makes another sad horse noise.

Carecalmo posted:

Then ask the magical horse if she knows how to get to Baitshapash, and if she would be willing to take a true Horse-Friend there.

Let's find out just how fantastic this horse is. We might not need any guide.
You ask. The horse looks... confused? Can horses look confused? After a moment's consideration Igal asks in the tongue of the locals, the horse looks straight at him, then looks to the door and taps it once with a hoof.

3. If you get the horse, regardless of the method, what are you doing with it?

W. Give it to Erbuke and trade it for the help he offered, though the value of his help will probably be diminished if I accept a quest go to a set destination?
X. I didn't actually promise to give it to Erbuke. I keep it and bring it with me.
Y. X., hey good news Igal! Whether or not I planned to carry you along, now you get to ride with us!
Z. (Add on to X or Y)...but I am only borrowing it. Tell Erbuke I'll give the horse back to him when I am done in the Grasslands.
Zb. W., but only if Erbuke comes with us, though unlike Igal he is in unblooded, will surely suffer from sleep deprivation and not be useful in combat.
Zc. Something else. Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 16, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

W

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

W

SAVE THE HORSE ENKIDEL SHE'S SO SAD SAVE THE HORSE

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Restating my vote since i forgot about the add-on part:

1: B
2: T
3: Z

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Zb

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
YZ

THE HORSE MUST BE SAVED IMMEDIATELY

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Kinda want to ask the horse if she knows who our father is...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There are a number of pending questions, we will get to most of them this evening but might squeeze in a few before then. If yours was skipped if we get to any later, we will get to the remainder this evening.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
YZ, Igal's doing good by us and I'm getting the distinct impression Yafa might be a more useful guide than Erbuke. :getin:

Possible complication: what if horse would rather not go to Erbuke? Obviously we probably can't take her home and get her smote by the Melachim Of Murdering Horses, but she might prefer to, like, stay in Baitshapash or something.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
We can just trade the horse back to Erbuke's people after we accomplish our goals. I'm sure they've got doodads or something we want that they'd part with to keep the stone men from having a such a perfect wonderful horsie

Try petting the spot-that-makes-the-leg-kick.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Also Changing my vote for the first two questions from IJ to

C: heart or horn, not both
V: I'm not rejecting the idea of completing the quest out of hand, but I'm open to going "whoops we can't handle the elephant right now, guess I'll handle it in half a millennium, good luck Ganaivailures" or even ditching the deal entirely

also keeping House Mafia sweet until our dudes can get to the cache would be nice

Handy negotiation tactic: "I can 100% guarantee you're not going to get full value for a sad angry horse"

also in theory a lot of their value on the elephant thing will come from not having the trade routes mucked up in the first place

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 16, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

W
I would like Enkidel to maintain some semblance of honor, at least in not screwing over people who don't deserve it (as far as we know)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Changing from B to C: Heart or horn, not both

Seems prudent to at least try and negotiate a bit before just taking the deal.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diogines posted:

It makes eye contact with Igal, something no horse you have encountered so far has done, look someone in the eye, and makes a sad horse noise and then taps a hoof on the door twice, then looks back to you and makes another sad horse noise.

Lol poo poo this kid really is a Good Smeller isn't he

(Credit to thatbasqueguy for catching it on the Discord)

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Y

The horse deciding to stare at Igal instead of us after smelling all 3 of us suggests Igal is indeed a melachim. So I guess I'm onboard with bringing Igal along now.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

To clarify it also made eye contact with you. The point that we were trying to express is that this horse apparently looks people in the eye, which is not something that other horses have done. Not that you've seen anyway.

Though the horse does seem to be less, well, obsessed with you than the other horses you.have encountered so far? All of the horses that you encountered acted very strangely towards you, as described in prior updates. The horse looked Igal in the eyes when Igal spoke, it was not exactly "staring" at him.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

yep confirmed

Diogines posted:

To clarify it also made eye contact with you. The point that we were trying to express is that this horse apparently looks people in the eye, which is not something that other horses have done. Not that you've seen anyway.

it's too late diog, we're on to him

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diogines posted:

Yes but she looked at Igal first, which obviously means he's an Even Better Smeller than the Horse-Friend. Before you ask, no, there is no way this could be a coincidence or other minor oddity, it's definitely because Igal is a secret melachim and Yafa is tipping us off.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Yes but she looked at Igal first, which obviously means he's an Even Better Smeller than the Horse-Friend. Before you ask, no, there is no way this could be a coincidence or other minor oddity, it's definitely because Igal is a secret melachim and Yafa is tipping us off.

The horse looked at all of you, possibly more you and the others. It simply made eye contact with him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zodiac5000 posted:

THE HORSE MUST BE SAVED IMMEDIATELY

gently caress Erbuke, we need to save this goddamn horse. If someone took Snarls from us and tried to lock him in a dungeon, away from any potential spot-rubs and snulsrides...

Changing my vote from A to:

1. C. They can have the heart, we want the horn.
2. T.
3. Zc. Let Yafa decide where to go, whether it's back to Erbuke or come with us.