Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Do that shiiitttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliopause
Aug 18, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Set update dial to 11

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hit that gas D-man!

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Speed please.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

YOLO lets do it

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Warp 10, make it do!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I feel the need for speed!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

YOLO lets do it

Don't care if I miss a chance to vote because I'm busy doing to be wrong voting anyway

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

hollylolly posted:

I feel the need for speed!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’m down for increased speed. i think we’re mostly in the same page as far as honoring El and not doing something incredibly stupid that would necessitate us using our powers and shining a beacon in the night that there’s something tasty here like we were explicitly told not to do.

or not. but i’d hope so

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Yeah boi

Let's make some bad decisions, only FASTER

Mr. Nemo posted:

Oh, yes, the more agency the more troubles. Fast forward to our death.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m down for increased speed. i think we’re mostly in the same page as far as honoring El and not doing something incredibly stupid that would necessitate us using our powers and shining a beacon in the night that there’s something tasty here like we were explicitly told not to do.

or not. but i’d hope so

Lol

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
satan take the wheel

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

satanSlann take the wheel

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
FIve posts from now

“I loving told you Maidu was real, voting to fast forward was a stupid decision”

“Oh come ON, a moth with a lighting sword? That’s just bullshit”

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yes to increased speed.

A, don't kill them we're guests in their... home(?) and it's a big taboo to violate hospitality.

I'm not actually sure that the rules of hospitality apply here but they do live in the hill shrine and have been welcoming thus far.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Speed this baby up, tax man

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
A and tell him about the eyes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
this is just a plot by the Melachim to ensure we don't ask too many questions by rushing through updates, they know we're going to run into Labaras soon

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

Yes to increased speed.

A, don't kill them we're guests in their... home(?) and it's a big taboo to violate hospitality.

I'm not actually sure that the rules of hospitality apply here but they do live in the hill shrine and have been welcoming thus far.

Increased speed go!

Also I am pretty sure being profane demon worshippers exempts them from any hospitality laws. Don't kill them because it's the Urth equivalent of getting GTA stars on a stealth mission, not because it's ethically problematic.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hellsau posted:

this is just a plot by the Melachim to ensure we don't ask too many questions by rushing through updates, they know we're going to run into Labaras soon

Labaras being the ruler of the universe from hitchhikers guide would be pretty incredible

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Victis posted:

Yeah boi

Let's make some bad decisions, only FASTER

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I’ve never been fussed by faster updates

It just means more breaks at work for me vOv

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Oh man, we are about to montage a summer vacation in the grasslands. This is exciting. Best Ur Friends!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yes to speed.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Full Speed Ahead!

urf
Jul 12, 2009
let's go full speed ahead

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My body is ready.

:dong:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let the gofasterificationizationing commence!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Expect an update in about 2 hours.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Diogines posted:

Expect an update in about 2 hours.

"You arrive back in kavodel after returning from your journey to the grasslands..."

Balder
Apr 3, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Full Speed Ahead!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

ETA about 20 minutes or less.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

The longer you talk with this homeless-raisin-wizard the more it becomes clear that these moth-men expect you make some kind of offering and that their purpose here, at the holy place of their monster-moth, is to honor the object of their affection, some sort of moth-monster-god-demon-thing. Which is to say that they don't seem inclined to play tour-guide theology tutor until you pay the price. Given the offerings on hand that price may not even be very high, a silver coin or some wine would probably suffice but until you make an offering, you are a foreign invader, not a traveler or pilgrim.

Many of your questions do not get meaningful answers. Ongan the moth-priest more and more explicitly brushes away your questions, his answers become more passive-aggressive until he outright says that your refusal to make an offering to Maidu is an insult to "Her Lunar Eminence". Still, you get answers to some of your questions...

>>Ask him to tell us his creation story.
Uriah: "The stinking-sorceror says that their gods slew some big serpents a very long time ago and made the world with parts of them. Obviously they used the anus and the skin around it to make the land where we came from, where rude men come to holy places and refuse to make even small offerings." Uriah looks a bit incredulous as he translates that part, possibly more surprised at the balls on the man to say such a thing to the two of you?

>>"Ask him about the weird dreams. Is that Maidu?

The old man says something and coughs twice.

Uriah: "He says that he has interpreted the dreams of many. All of whom made offerings. Cough cough."

>>Do you have booze to buy?
Uriah: "He says he has supplies of wine to purchase for the purpose of offerings."

>>Are those charms available with just boring money?
Uriah: "He says we can buy lesser ones for a tithe. I'm about ready to tithe his head in. Why are we taking this from these bug-worshiping assholes? They are starting to make Once-Consort look pretty."

>>Given how fractured the grasslands are does Baitshapash or any of the big cities hold any importance to Maidu at all?
Uriah: "He says Maidu favors open spaces."

>>Isn't it hard for the two of them to run a temple for the whole region?
Uriah: "He says it is easy when people don't come here to waste their time."

>>Does Asherah mean anything to him? How about Fare/Faradnu or all the Fare name variations?

The old man clucks like a chicken and then says something.
Uriah: "He asks if the chicken clucking noises means anything to you."

>>Does he know any bugs like OC and their hives? If yes are they friendly?
Uriah: "He says that he knows of many strange creatures and will share such wisdom. With those who properly show their affection to Maidu."

>>We should definitely ask him about Carine tower, Baitel, Baithsapath, asher, significance of 50 year Jubilee's, Nusku, Horsemen mighty men, show him cephaloth claw, ask opinion about slaves, ask about demonic invasions, show him bnaimokt metal, tell him the stars sing to us,
The old man puts an arm to his side like a chicken wing and makes a clucking noise. Dev snickers slightly and then covers his mouth. Uriah clenches his fist.

>>Ask him for the true history of Carine.
Uriah: "He says that it is an old city that the Kadmonin built and the men of Ur stole."

>>Ask if any Bnaimokt come this way.
Uriah: "He isn't telling us."

>>Ask about other gods in the pantheon.
Uriah: "He says he has taught pilgrims many things over the years. Then emphasized the word pilgrims again."

>>What are the purpose of these gems?
Uriah: "He says he will find out.""

>>Why do you want them?
Uriah: "He says they are foreign magic and interesting so he can find a use for them. So you should sell them to him or stop wasting his time and leave."

>>Would El still get really mad if Enkidel beats the guy in a contest first with the reading or some other information or heathen magical item as the prize? Or would the contest downgrade the rage to mere annoyance?
Participating in a profane ritual is not okay and fortune telling is something your society says El is not okay with.

>>How does Enkidel weigh his chances in a contest of wit against this guy based on question timing him? Does he feel like his opponent is arrogant enough for Enkidel to use it against him?
It is tough to judge how smart the man is, you can't even understand him, Uriah is translating.

>>Ask the old guy if the Melachim ever visited here, especially ones that don't hang around Ur, like Damat or Azzazel.
Uriah: "This wrinkled rear end in a top hat says that the last time the Melachim showed up their gods sent them running. Can we burn this place to the ground yet?"

>>Is there a trade good or item their mothmaster does not want but they do?
I am afraid I do not understand this question, could you explain what you want to ask another way?

>>Question before leaving: are there any groups in the near region that practice human sacrifice/are dangerous to the relatively more peaceful folk of the grasslands.
Uriah: "He says the closest men who do such a thing are west, not east."

You have had enough of this profane priest and walk away. Uriah has become increasingly, visibly upset as the conversation continued. The unholy sorcerer was not… openly rude at the start of the conversation, but gradually transitioned to more and more overt requests for offerings and then engaged in outright rudeness when such did not occur. As you and Uriah walk away the old man says something. Uriah does not translate, instead he turns back towards the old man and begins shouting at the man, draws his sword from his belt and cuts three moths from the air, then glares angrily at the old man and says something else and holds his arms up and his chest out in a sign which you don’t need to speak the Kadmonim tongue to know is a challenge. The old man says a few words, Uriah does as well and then the two of you walk away.

Uriah, what was that about?

Uriah: “He said that our lack of manners were ill fitting and that our gods had no power here and that a god, spirit or demon would surely devour us if we persisted in our foolish, stubborn pride by not making offerings. I then informed that festering diarrheic shithead that there is only one god and all the world is his and that in Zepath we do not show such hatred to travelers who do us no evil even if they have strange customs or speak so ill to strangers. I told him further that in Zepath when men use fighting words they are prepared to back them up and that I have killed sorcerers before and giants as well as demons by the hundreds and if he thinks for even a second I am afraid of some moth worshiping rear end in a top hat he is mistaken and he had best prepare himself to answer my challenge. Which he declined, the coward.”

Uriah went into the grasslands alone once before and even managed to buy horses and by his account didn’t even fact any serious problems… but it also looks like he never ran across an ornery moth priest?

You continue on your journey.

You find your destination, Dezful, only a few hours later, it is still the morning when you arrive. You know a bit about the place before arriving, you were told that it is a permanent settlement, for the Kadmonim do have some, and that it is a stopping point for travelers and traders coming from further east on their way to Carine. Apparently the place is owned by the Bencaleb tribe, the most powerful of the Kadmonim tribes in this part of Ur.

You find Dezful nestled between several large hills, a large expanse of grass between them and a well worn patch of dirt which might generously be called a “road” leading towards it. You pass men leading donkeys and horses to and from the place, men who hurry when they see you and talk in a worried manner. Though small by Ur standards, Dezful has a wall, a small one expected of a village or perhaps a bit like the one in Zepath? You see some farmland beyond the place as well. You also see numerous strange dwellings beyond, tepees, yurts, wooden and earthen or sod huts and diverse architecture and styles of building, likely all travelers from different far flung parts of the grasslands who have stopped to trade in this place? This place looks strange and foreign to your eye but probably less foreign than you expected, what with an actual city wall and farmland. It did take you a little over two weeks to get here but this is apparently one of the closest permanent settlements to Carine, so Ur influences may have seeped in over time? Once you thought the Kadmonim had no permanent homes at all, let alone city walls and did not farm the land. And from what you learned in Carine that does supposedly describe MOST of the Kadmonim, there are apparently some permanent settlements, including their “sacred city”.

When some of those upon the road see you they immediately turn around and race off towards Dezful as fast as their mounts will take them. You do not want to make any aggressive moves and so you walk a calm, relaxed pace. As best you know, no one in Ur ever travels here so the sight of a few highly Blooded men suddenly showing up is… probably going to cause a stir. Well, you have a lifetime of experience causing a stir literally everywhere you go?

By the time you arrive the gates of the Dezful at least hundred Kadmonim tribesmen upon their horses wait for you, bows drawn with more on foot as well, a number of women among those present. There are also what may be described as many curious onlookers, only a majority of which appear to be armed, if more crudely. Both Uriah and Igal speak what amounts to the “trade” language the Kadmonim use around here but Igal can speak several Kadmonim tongues passably well and is more familiar with their customs and culture and so you use him as your translator, instructing him to tell the angry looking militia that the three of you are not here to make war, you only make war upon demons, that you are demon hunters and explorers and you come only to make new friends, see new things and to get leads on demons to kill.

Well they don’t let off a flurry of arrows…

But they do immediately recognize the famous horse you have brought with you, accuse you of having stolen it and demand it be surrendered, or else. At this point Igal stops translating and just talks to them and when he finishes explains to you that “Magistrate, Erburke gave me a message to deliver to prove we didn’t steal the horse and they believe we didn’t, but we still can’t stay because we are war mongering invaders and spies. I mean obviously we are not, but they said we are.” Attempts at diplomacy continue and go poorly, it does not seem that you will be permitted allowed inside until eventually Igal says “Let me uh, try something Magistrate.” Igal lifts Yafa’s harness up in one hand while holding his other hand, palm open in the air and says something, more words are exchanged and the makeshift militia in front of you begins to disperse. Igal explains that “I… didn’t think that would work because I am not part of their tribe but apparently that does not matter. I swore on your behalf that we won’t cause trouble basically and asked to invoke guest rights, but they expire at sun down unless we can get someone here to vouch for us. I… think if you marry someone that also counts? Not that you uh would Magistrate, obviously.”

You begin to walk around Dezful and the camps outside of the walls as well, every eye turns to look and men talk as you pass, some showing clear disdain, others curiosity or confusion.

1. You begin to explore Dezful and find several matters which may be of interest to you… which do you follow up on first?

A. The son of one the tribal leaders among the Bencaleb did most of the talking at the gate. From what you have heard while walking around, the man is a fierce warrior and has hunted many monsters and beasts, he even looked Blooded, in fact several of the men at the front of the militia which greeted you looked Blooded, beefy, muscular men. Such a man would have an interest in having monsters slain. Meet with the man again and try to get a lead on monsters nearby, telling him you want to go hunting. If you truly are, if this is simple curiosity, or you are tricking him to get leads on threats to avoid is up to you.

B. This place has clearly been influenced by Ur culture… but Carine seemed influenced by Kadmonim culture as well. Carine does not have a king and is instead run by families who pick a leader, this place does not seem to have any formal king either, but is run by tribal groups? Actually… come to think of it, that may make them a bit more similar to Zepath than many cities in Ur? Regardless, there is probably some elder here who has the most influence. Find this person. Tell them that demons are invading all over the world and you want to strike a deal with the “Heroes of Baitshapash” and try to get directions. This is… probably not going to work given how much of a closely guarded secret its location is but it might work? You have the distinct impression that not many people even know where it is and that for most it has a quasi-legendary status, but a man of influence may know?

C. While in the market you hear that apparently you are not the first Ur-men to come here and that there is an actual smith living here, a trader who took a Kadmonim wife and settled down here many years ago. Would such a man be more inclined to share useful information with you? Ur is hardly a cohesive body and… well most cities hate each other, but you would surely share more in common with such a man than any of the locals? Seek out the man’s shop and talk to him.

D. There is an actual temple in Dezful, two, made of stone and everything. One to Ishat, who is apparently the Kadmonim god of fire and the sun and one of their father gods, which there seem to be several? From what you’ve learned so far the Kadmonim religion is not a monolith and there are literally hundreds of gods, great and small, some believed all over and some in only very small areas. A different source told you that the father of the gods is Shapash, Ishat’s father. Visit the temple of Ishat and try to see if you can learn anything interesting about Kadmonim religion or culture. Perhaps you’ll a more uh, friendly interaction with someone not dressed like a hobo and hopped up on moth-wine?

E. The other temple in Dezful is to Nikall, goddess of the harvest and fertility. She also played a role in the Kadmonim story about Enkidu. Visit the temple of Nikall and try to see if you can learn anything interesting about Kadmonim religion or culture.

F. There are several supposed witches living in the wilderness very close to Dezful and sorcerers living in Dezful itself. Go to them, show them the star-stones you took from the Anaki as well as the giant ruby and see what you can learn from them. See if there are any true mystical secrets or items you can buy from such people.

G. From what you have learned so far, Dezful is a trading hub. Apparently much, most of what is taken to Carine is actually brought there by traders living in Dezful, the more distant Kadmonim tribes have no desire to enter Ur itself. There are people from vastly different lands here and bustling markets as diverse as nearly any you’ve seen. Spend some time shopping and hope that in spending time with so many foreigners you can find something interesting to buy, or get a lead on some useful information to aid you in your journey, or simply stories from their own homelands. Could you get any leads on the extent to which demons have troubled the Kadmonim?

H. Go to a public area, gather a crowd and tell them in graphic detail of the invasions of demons at every corner of Ur and try to warn them, urging they prepare.

I. H., but, emphasize the miracles El has showered down to aid your people, trying to convince them that El is very real and should be honored.

J. As a faithful servant of El, gather a crowd and perform impressive feats of strength, then give a sermon to them about how El is very real and very powerful and how they should very much worship him. You… probably won’t outright shanked but this may well have people lining up to challenge you to duels.

K. Something else. Fill in.

[…]

In an effort to get things moving more quickly, we are going to try doing things a little differently, per this post, which had considerable support: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=40&pagenumber=470#post497657513

The “agency/control versus speed” scales are being tipped towards speed. Expect another update tonight and several tomorrow. Ask as many questions as you want, the normal rules apply, but, we are only going to answer the ones which we think are particularly interesting and skipping over the ones which are particularly time consuming or do not have especially interesting answers. We will also be assuming your actions based on previous conduct more than usual. We are not going to go into great detail on any option until you pick them, above is the information you’ve learned after a few hours of casual exploring.

[...]

We are not abandoning our channel in IRC, it is not shutting down but given the fact that most people have decided to move to an inferior chat client, Discord, we will start linking it as well.
Discord Link: https://discord.gg/SPZ7Hyn

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

F

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A, if we can impress him with some feats of strength or archery trick shots or how much horses love us (or all three at once) that seems like a pretty good way to break the ice enough that maybe we can stay past sundown? Also thank El we brought Igal, he's already paying off for getting us inside even for just the day, no way would we have known what to do.

I also want to meet the Urian smith eventually, but going straight to him first might make both of us look suspicious, like the stonemen are conspiring or something.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A Smith? Smith! C.

^Actually that is a good point. I guess G for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
C. Whatup smith bro?