Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I think the goblins only come above ground to hunt. They don't seem to perform other activities on the surface.

For food they have spidergoats. The human remains we saw weren't just murdered, they were ripped apart. Probably vivisected in a ritual similar to Puabi's for magical power. We've seen why they do this. They're performing brutal murder to build another zviv. I wonder if they view it as a god in its own right, as a minor avatar of a greater power, or as just a magical construct.

My biggest concern right now is that if we show too much caution we could allow weaker opponents to slaughter their captives and escape like back at Libnah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Or they’re just stockpiling food like we are in Zepath

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
G

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Loudly create an altar and pray to El, then challenge their leader to a duel when they come out and charge straight at him.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
B

So, what are the odds the goblins are taking prisoners?* Might be someone alive still if so! Worth being a tiny bit cautious at least.
* We've never heard of them having sleds either, but these are obviously different.

Question for Diogines: Do the tracks we have found and the skull 100% indicate Goblins, or could this be a New Menace, like Chibnaimokt Bnaimoktlings,?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B

Let's also remember Ish's warning about going too deep underground.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If the Goblin Golden Age of Science goes unchecked they may develop the loving wheel. We need to be careful and thorough, but still check this out as quickly as possible. Recommend interrogation.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

what are the odds that goblins are being driven nearer to the surface by something underground?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
We have them becoming more surface active, yet more advanced. While these two things could be coincidental and have different causes, it may well be that they're being led upwards, instead of driven.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C I find it interesting that Uriah is willing to try talking to them, though!

We should be careful that these aren't working for one of the local minor-deities-demons

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
H - Have Uriah march up to the cave and issue a challenge to the Goblins within while we prepare to apply a Blooded Bronze Arrow to any big monster that appears, from concealment.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
B + Approach from whichever direction is less likely to get us spotted. Be wary of traps.

I want to see what's going on here before we alert the gobbos.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Question for Diogines: Do the tracks we have found and the skull 100% indicate Goblins, or could this be a New Menace, like Chibnaimokt Bnaimoktlings,?
Some of the tracks are not goblins, a handful, you are not sure what they are. The goblin tracks far outnumber them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What do the tracks look like?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diogines posted:

Some of the tracks are not goblins, a handful, you are not sure what they are. The goblin tracks far outnumber them.

Are they something we think might be a quadruped, like a beast of burden to pull a sled?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Clawed? Hooved? Taloned? How many toes? Shoed or bare?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe they're cat boy tracks.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/173314787084730368?lang=en

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Get some intelligence from a captured goblin, if any can be had. Maybe we can glean something from their armor idk. Seems like a safer strategy than just running in screaming and waving weapons, especially since we have no idea what the murdered travelers were carrying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C. Its been a while since we murdered some goblins.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Rahul posted:

Loudly create an altar and pray to El, then challenge their leader to a duel when they come out and charge straight at him.

No joke, this sounds unironically promising.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A Terrible Person posted:

No joke, this sounds unironically promising.

Promising in the fact it’s going to light us up light a spotlight to everything in the area.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Let's expand El's dominion here, why not. Get some friendly candles spreading.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Promising in the fact it’s going to light us up light a spotlight to everything in the area.

I'm pretty sure Enkidel and Uriah are lighting up altars to El off screen pretty much any time they aren't running, so another altar is no big deal.

If we had been serious about not drawing attention, Enki would have deactivated all his unnatural senses and strengths before entering the grasslands and spent weeks hauling his pack via trains of donkeys/horses. What's wrong about challenging some goblins and their patrons if we can punch them to death at baseline strength (of many-lots manpower per fist)?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Goblin delenda est.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm pretty sure Enkidel and Uriah are lighting up altars to El off screen pretty much any time they aren't running, so another altar is no big deal.

If we had been serious about not drawing attention, Enki would have deactivated all his unnatural senses and strengths before entering the grasslands and spent weeks hauling his pack via trains of donkeys/horses. What's wrong about challenging some goblins and their patrons if we can punch them to death at baseline strength (of many-lots manpower per fist)?

Because we have zero idea what is actually going on in there.

I do think that Enkidel could probably punch that same Zviv to death again but who knows if that place is full of magic goatmen or hobgoblins or whatever. I also think that Enkidel probably weighs a significant fraction of what that first Zviv did, it's described as some 900 pounds or more, and Enkidel is probably around 600? And mercy weighs so, so much. A 900 pound monster is peanuts compared to our current strength.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

If victory is achieved this is the perfect chance to experiment. All adult goblins probably need to die for blood sacrificing humans but there will be goblin children and teens. Get them to swear to El they won't do what their parents did and they can leave. Watch what happens.

If it's another rebuke Enkidel and Uriah are at least near or on the Urian border already so they just need to run as fast as possible. Carry Uriah while he sleeps etc.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

It wasn’t the size so much as the regeneration. Iirc Ithma or Ira (rip) ripped a tentacle off and started beating it but it just immediately grew another one. Come to think of it, Dad and The Boys beat some regenerating lizards is the jungle on the way home and made short work of them. It’d be cool as hell to rewatch that whole trip one day. I’d try and ask Ishamal but he’s already pretty much lied to us about it. I doubt we’d get a good story of the whole trip.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Normal mighty man tactics seems to have worked on the Zviv. Just punch it until it dies. Its regen was just exhausted after taking so many hits after the power word El to the face.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Will it work without shouting "EL"?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Ask Uriah if he remembers the goblins Jesbaam had with him.
Suppose that goblins might not always be quite as simple as we thought.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eat the ruby just in case there's a sorcerer in there who knows how to activate it when they die.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting H:

Rahul posted:

And, if something like a Zviv or worse marches out and normal combat tactics fail, shout "Claw" and have Uriah stab it with the cephalot claw.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Just reread some parts and it turns out Amos also said the world is not exactly round in shape.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Polgas posted:

Just reread some parts and it turns out Amos also said the world is not exactly round in shape.

I mean, technically its not. Its kind of squished on the top if its anything like Earth

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, the rotational momentum of the earth means the equator bulges a bit. One of the neat effects of this is that mount Everest is the tallest peak in the world measured from sea level, but not the furthest point from the center of the earth. That title goes to mount Chimborazo in the Andes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Polgas posted:

I hope he's not pulling some 'well actchually there's hills and valleys so it's not technically round :smug:' bullshit.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
C

I'm from Kavodel and I say kill 'em all

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The vote is apparently all over the place, however it is now closed. I'm hoping that we will update tonight, and we probably will, but that is not a promise.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Diogines posted:

The vote is apparently all over the place, however it is now closed. I'm hoping that we will update tonight, and we probably will, but that is not a promise.

No rush, as long as you give us a solid week to debate 'Baby Goblins 2: greenskin boogaloo' I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

To any reasonably sized person the grass here would probably qualify as "very tall grass", indeed the grass here is thicker than in many parts of the Grasslands you have traveled through so far. To the typical goblin, or well, the typical human as well, still, considering your enormous size and the fact that between your equipment and cargo you have a few hundred pounds of stuff on you, the idea that a nearly ten foot tall you could be hiding among such grass is ridiculous.

Still, absurd things can be true(and often are when you are involved) and so you and Uriah carefully creep closer through the tall grass. The danger from goblins seems minimal but the risk of discovery is doubled with Uriah coming as well and so you left him behind, though Uriah first extracted a promise from you that you won't rush into battle without him. So, you creep closer. You very slowly approach and for a time, you watch. You are still at a very considerable distance but now with a better vantage point you are able to, between waving stalks of grass, spot what to your eyes looks like some kind of... door made of sod, cleverly disguised to resemble the side of a hill. The effect is convincing, it would probably fool most men even at a pretty close distance, but between your knowledge of the goblins from the tracks and your tremendous eyesight, you are able to notice a seam. You go back to Uriah and tell him what you have found and then creep much closer, pausing periodically to stop your own heart from beating and listening. If the goblins are unusually crafty... and they certainly seem to be with their advanced sled technology... there could be small holes to allow sentries to watch the outside even when their "gate" is closed. You can't be certain and you are not confident of the results, but even as you creep within 200 paces you don't hear anything. Your Presence Sense(s?) are not useful to detect anything inside of the hill, there is no vast overpowering presence and a few feet of dirt would be enough to stop you from feeling a typical person, let alone a goblin.

Now that you are looking for them, you have found quite a lot of tracks in the grass, even if you see none right now, goblins seem to travel through this entire area very regularly. Oddly enough however, you find no sign of any goblin poo poo, you would have expected to find some given the volume of the tracks. You also find sled tracks leading away from the hill in directions other than the place where you found the blood and remains, as well as tracks of something larger than a goblin, though far fewer in comparison. You also found some tracks which look like horses which look fairly fresh, were the goblins able to capture horses from men on another occasion recently and drag them back alive to be slaughtered later? You watch for a half an hour and do not see, hear or otherwise detect any goblins.

1. You...

A. Approach and put your eat at the gate, try to listen and see if you can hear any goblin heart beats through it. Sod is not exactly a material known to conduct sound well, but you could get lucky.
B. A., but fetch Uriah.

C. Approach and open the gate a crack to peer within. Re-assess based upon what you find.
D. C., but fetch Uriah.

Db. Stake out the place and watch. Will you eventually see a goblin leave?
E. Db., but fetch Uriah.

F. Enter the cave alone. Re-assess based upon what you find.
G. Enter the cave with Uriah.

H. (Add on for A, C or E) I don't plan to do it with Uriah, but I go back to update him again.

I. Try to set the grass ablaze to lure out the goblins.

J. Leave and continue on your journey.

K. Approach, knock loudly on the door and declare your desire to speak to them in the common tongue of Ur, then have Uriah try it in one of the Kadmonim languages. When you propose to Uriah that you try to talk with goblins Uriah asks if you are going to try to open diplomatic talks with a pile of horse poo poo next, but none the less agrees.

L. Something else. Fill in.

[...]

We are not abandoning our channel in IRC, it is not shutting down but given the fact that most people have decided to move to an inferior chat client, Discord, we will start linking it as well.
Discord Link: https://discord.gg/SPZ7Hyn

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 18, 2019