Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Cornuto posted:

Can someone explain the quality of life improvement that having more durable tools is going to give to the people of Kavodel.

This is somewhat speculative, and based on some cursory googling, but it seems like durable bb tools should be a huge benefit to any field that's currently using copper/wooden/stone tools.

Zepath has traditionally been very poor in metals, so I wouldn't be surprised if most to the plows that farmers are using are made out of wood or stone, maybe with some copper incorporated into them. A bb plow will be more durable and sharper so farmers will be able to till more land with less effort--either increasing the amount of arable land at our disposal or reducing the amount of time it takes to plow fields. If you've got a blooded bronze scythe that holds an edge much better than a copper scythe, you're going to have an easier time harvesting your field.

Blooded bronze pick axes should help with mining efficiency since they're harder and will stay sharper. Same with stone cutting and logging and ditch digging.

Better tools will make manual labor easier.

Victis posted:

We've already run into poo poo that BB arrows can't pierce, OC for one. BB in general isn't the end-all-be-all of materials.

Isn't that more likely the result of our bow not being strong enough and not that are arrows aren't sharp enough?

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rahul posted:

Also, pardon the interruption to Iron chat, but I think another thing that we should probably discuss is the current brain muscle-drain of our blooded youth to the donut, which is likely to fall very quickly over the next few Jubilees.

Most of the lettered options on this issue seemed to involve either turning a blind eye, or actively supporting this. Now there’s definitely an argument to be made for this, allowing our youth to run wild there will probably help make the donut marginally less lovely in it’s final years before falling to demons, and maybe delay the fall of a few cities slightly.

But Blooded people are quite literally one of if not THE most valuable resource in this game, and we’re currently losing a lot of people to the donut. Every kid that runs off to the donut and doesn’t come back is a whole family/lineage of blooded people we don’t have to defend Kavodel/Zepath in the coming decades/centuries.
I really think its past time we start giving incentives for our youth to stay home and get word out to those currently abroad to return. Issuing free blooded-bronze gear and expanding the Balls would probably do the trick easily enough.

It just seems to me that we’re kind of pissing away our most valuable resource at the moment and not really even giving it a lot of thought.
What do other people think of this?
This is why I did a write in of forcing the mercenary bands into a structure where their leaders are inducted to the Balls, follow our instruction and are guided towards doing productive things, but no one went for it

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You guys are totally right.

We've gained nothing by experimenting.
We never did things out of the ordinary.
We never made an eagle arrow.
We don't have mystical powers.

Can I put in a vote to scratch blooded iron from the thread? It seems like the whole thing never got anywhere and we shouldn't learn anything.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Translation: "It's a mystery box, it could do anything! Anything is better than not-anything!"

I have a problem assuming that it *must* provide returns. How does a blooded iron arrow outperform a blooded bronze arrow? Why do you believe that they will?

Why wouldn't it? The whole premise is we can will poo poo into this world, all it takes is figuring it out.

We don't know its potential. We didn't know the potential of slamming dead eagles into our forge either. Remember those little blue stones? We didn't know their potential either but discovered they were worth looking into.

JT Jag posted:

Ah yes, spending time trying to figure out a new metal will definitely be some sort of arcane silver bullet

Look, you have just as much evidence to say it won't become something as I do in looking to explore. In the event that I'm correct, we have a lot to gain.

TheCog posted:

What can currently resist the tier two arrows we unlocked and eagle arrows? Anything? Anything that can resist both of those things is going to require a mystical weapon anyway. Which we know is in the bronze tree, since we made eagle arrows. We know that the potential of blooded bronze includes, at a minimum, animated bronze bulls, and we're nowhere near that. Probably also a giant mecha.

You're saying a dude who built fully animate blooded bulls couldn't figure out how to make forge hot for crumbly rock? That the dude who BROKE THE WILL OF BRONZE couldn't figure out iron? We're just that much smarter?

Making a single blooded iron arrowhead took months, and cost an insane amount of effort. Avery has already said he can't really help us blooding iron... so focusing on iron is just a complete, total, absurd act of hubris.

Fair point, I don't know what could resist those arrows. Another fair point in making AI mechs. We're not looking into imbuing anything though, so we're not looking into that either (despite it being related to bronze in that regard).

I'm not implying we're smarter. I'm saying we could look into it further since we've got the A) ability to make blooded iron and B) a hammer that can vastly improve the efficiency of doing so (making it a fuckload more practical).

I didn't see where Everystrike said he wouldn't help with blooding iron or I wouldn't be pushing this point.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Here's a theory: Fare or his daddy broke the will of Iron and it will not listen to the men of Ur because of it. Can you say this is not so?

This very thought is what prompted my suggestions. I think we, too, may have broken it by creating it in the first place and have basically unlocked its use. I understand the hesitation in dropping 20 years into this singlemindedly and am not advocating for soley working blooded iron, just to experiment and better understand it.
This is all assuming Everystrike has not told us to gently caress off, as another poster mentioned.

Tsyni posted:

This is an incredible argument, can't spread iron because it would be too dangerous, can't spend time on iron because it's not good enough.

If regular iron is better than regular bronze, why wouldn't high blooded iron be better than high blooded bronze?

I haven't looked at the vote in a bit, but the two options to experiment/work on our pure skill at smithing seem to have a lot of votes. Learning how to work different metals should increase Enkidel's general mastery of smithing, maybe giving us new insights.

Tudiya and others are content to let demons kill donut cities, but the risk of iron getting out and letting them kill each other more efficiently (and it follows the they could resist demons better as well) is seen as iron's death blow.

I think the only compelling argument against iron is that we have already spent so much time on bronze. There is maybe a small chance we can't use it to full potential because of our faction, but that seems less likely to me.

gently caress, exactly.

TheCog posted:

What does "better" mean when high blooded bronze is indestructible and makes eagle arrows?

Will it somehow be better at making animated mechas?

We know it's not indestructible, we've lost a few sets, as has tudiya in recent memory. We have so little exposure to mechs in ANY form that we shouldn't be driving our decision making based on the best material from which to make them, to be completely fair.

Zurai posted:

This is not necessarily true. Ancient steel was, largely, either worse or harder/more time consuming to make than bronze. The reason the Iron Age came after the Bronze Age is because one of the metals required to make bronze (tin) was largely mined out in Europe, at least the easily accessible deposits. Steel was much cheaper to make once people couldn't get tin locally any more.

Even today, bronze is used over high-end industrial steel for a lot of things.

True, though mostly for a self-lubricating quality and that it doesn't rust.
We also don't follow the same real-life qualities of material, so I hesitate to apply 'em.

There Bias Two posted:

It seems to me that blooded bronze is a viable path to the top of what is possible. Blooded iron just starts a little further along that path, but ends at the same place.

So your take is that these 2 materials can accomplish the same thing but we're already invested? We know this isn't necessarily an equivalency because iron takes so much more energy (hence charcoal) and [???-ability] to blood.

Rahul posted:

It's definitely something to revisit later, but for now, it's ridiculously outclassed by what we can do with Bronze, and will remain so unless we can break it the way Labaras broke Bronze. That's a long way off.

Making it easier for other smiths to produce stuff is actually a point against it, at least for another few Jubilee's until the Donut is wiped out. The benefits of that are also questionable now considering that we can singlehandly out-produce every other smith in Kavodel/Zepath combined. Arming basically every able-bodied person in Kavodel is literally on the table as a lettered option at the moment.

Doing the same with Iron would require:

* Establishing a new mine
* Drastically increased consumption of wood, a relative scarce resource. This can be mitigated by planting more trees, but it will take time.
* Further pissing off the MM/Establishment
* Watching the Donut Burn as the technology inevitibly slips into their hands
* Likely irreversibly destroying our relationship with Tudiya

By the time we even get mass-scale iron production off the ground we could arm every person in Kavodel in blooded bronze superior to it several times over.

Let's revisit it in a few centuries when we might actually have a shot a cracking it, and a lot of the reasons for not doing it aren't really an issue any more

My problem with this is that we don't need to spread knowledge of iron. I'm not asking we do a PR tour of the poo poo, just to better understand it. This is a opsec weapon in an opsec forge with an opsec hammer. Who the gently caress are we going to offend?

Being able to arm everyone is a completely valid point and I agree we should do so.
I also agree we can revisit this.

My disagreement comes from the mewling mass of nay-sayers that cannot seem to fathom we could gain something from a largely unknown but strong and durable resource.

Arcturas posted:

Another reason to ignore iron for a while now, to gamify things, is that we have a huge "research speed bonus" because Labaras already broke the will of bronze. He didn't do that for iron. So regardless of whether the longest-long term state is better for iron than bronze, the reasonable-term ROI is way higher for bronze than iron.

In short: (1) we don't have to fight Tudiya about whether to reopen iron research; (2) we have a huge leg up due to Labaras's breaking bronze's will PLUS Every-Strike; (3) we're already proficient at iron; (4) we haven't seen anything we can do with iron that we can't do with blooded bronze; and (5) our time is already spread pretty thin and we probably ought to concentrate on what we're good at.

Do we know that Labaras has not broken the will of Iron? Not really. We simply know he broke bronze.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 6, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Re: everystike and blooded iron

Diogines posted:

"With great effort you might. But I don't have anything to teach you about that, at least right now."

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

TheCog posted:

Re: everystike and blooded iron

Cool.

So in-line with what I'm saying, don't let it drop completely off the radar.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Rahul posted:

Also, pardon the interruption to Iron chat, but I think another thing that we should probably discuss is the current brain muscle-drain of our blooded youth to the donut, which is likely to fall very quickly over the next few Jubilees.

Most of the lettered options on this issue seemed to involve either turning a blind eye, or actively supporting this. Now there’s definitely an argument to be made for this, allowing our youth to run wild there will probably help make the donut marginally less lovely in it’s final years before falling to demons, and maybe delay the fall of a few cities slightly.

But Blooded people are quite literally one of if not THE most valuable resource in this game, and we’re currently losing a lot of people to the donut. Every kid that runs off to the donut and doesn’t come back is a whole family/lineage of blooded people we don’t have to defend Kavodel/Zepath in the coming decades/centuries.
I really think its past time we start giving incentives for our youth to stay home and get word out to those currently abroad to return. Issuing free blooded-bronze gear and expanding the Balls would probably do the trick easily enough.

It just seems to me that we’re kind of pissing away our most valuable resource at the moment and not really even giving it a lot of thought.

I think that describing people as resources is horrible and exactly what I'd like to avoid. I agree the militarism is probably of no long term use, but I also think that treating people's lives like they are something to be used is exactly the sort of monsterousness that you see in demons and the PtB.

The kids are alright and are helping people not live wretched lives. If that's what they want to spend their lives on, I'm not going to tell them we know better.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You are Khaba, King of Acco.

You have ruled Acco for many years now, ruled it during one of its most difficult times. Demons have attacked your city upon the last two Jubilees, being driven off only by miracles. Foreigners sought to enslave your people after the first time and it was only the strength of the barbarians to the south-west that this was prevented. Never barbarians in truth, as it turned out, but great heroes blessed by El. Long had your ancestors ignored the small "city" so near to the sea, you learned much of them following this.

Zepath, and its king Tudiya, had been well aware of the demons that assaulted you. They had warred with the Mountains--and the Sea as it turned out!--for many generations. Why, when the demons attacked upon the most recent Jubilee the king himself, the Mighty Men of Zepath, and the damnable Crown Prince of Zepath and his own retinue had personally driven the demons back. Miracles from El had been evident that day and it had only made you and your people more pious.

Of course, not all was good between your cities. Enkidel, the eldest son of Tudiya, had struck a damnable deal with you in exchange for knowledge of riches. He had then baited a trap for the mountain demons and personally slew a small army of them. After this, the demons of the Mountains had stopped their foul raids into your countryside, preserving their strength for the Jubilee assault. In exchange, you had all but banned slavery. And upon the most recent Jubilee you had attempted to roll back that law--as was your right--and the people had rioted until you adopted the laws of Kavodel again!

And now that damnable man has come to your city again. He looks much the same as he did nearly four decades ago, a massive man nearly ten feet tall and heavily muscles. Armor fit for the kings of old rests on his frame, strange patterns and designs decorating it, as well as depicting various melachim. His skin is dark as the night sky. You do not know why he has returned to this place, you had refused to see him every other time he sought an audience. This time he refused to go, insisting this was a matter of great importance fit only for yourself to hear of. And, much as you hate the man, you cannot deny he is a peerless slayer of demons. It is said not long ago that he slew a great demon in the Great City of Karnak, liberating it from the clutches of a terrible demon and tyrant.

He holds in his hands a cloth bag, of a pure white color with blue trim.

"Why have you sought this audience, Enkidel, Prince of Zepath?" you ask him. You know Zepath has no title of "prince" and that this is an insult, but will of course claim ignorance if pressed on it.

"I have come to make an offer to you. In this bag I have many spear tips of Blooded Bronze. I will outfit your people in armor and weapons of Blooded Bronze and in exchange, what I craft will not be turned against any but the demons and monsters of this world. Do you accept this offer, Khaba, King of Acco?" the giant asks.

1. Of course I accept the offer! Blooded Bronze, you know, is a mystical metal that only a few of the greatest smiths in your city can make, and only as masterworks! This will vastly increase your fighting ability, in exchange it cannot be used against people. It is possible to set all gear aside and only release it when you expect assault from the demons. When asking, Enkidel clarified that accidental uses--such as a man stealing what he creates and using it against fellow man--will not violate the terms of this agreement, though he will be very upset if this becomes a common thing. Using it against rioters or anything of the sort does count as using it against people.

2. I do not accept it. I do not like Enkidel, he is a pompous rear end in a top hat.

3. I do not accept it. I do not believe Enkidel. It is impossible for so much of a mystical material to be made, even your greatest smiths take much time to make gear of Blooded Bronze!

4. Write-in.

quote:

How is this guy going to make so much Blooded Bronze? Enough to outfit everyone? Why isn't he using it on his own people?

quote:

The conditions on this aren't nearly so bad as the last one. I know the thread hates this guy, but we really need to examine why he has the conditions he does and it becomes pretty clear. He doesn't want what he does to lead to wars or violence, whether for humanitarian reasons or because he thinks it'll weaken cities for the demons to take, I don't know. But I think we can respect his reasons.

quote:

no gently caress this guy, he thinks he can dictate to us what we do

quote:

because he can dictate what we can do, aren't we pretty sure he personally can completely conquer our city? hasn't he literally done that exact same thing to DEMON cities? and more personally a literal great city that had been subverted by demons? he's literal old tales bullshit and probably gets his marching orders straight from the melachim

quote:

no seriously where is this guy getting so much of a literal mystical resource? why hasn't he equipped his own people so well? does he know something we don't?

quote:

Probably knows a lot we don't tbh

quote:

im so tired of being kept in the dark on all this mystical bullshit. like what the gently caress was up with that giant ox demon? and what the gently caress is an asherakhan? kinda makes me think of asherak, but why would they think we know poo poo about some spawn of asherak? i'd say they were after Fare, but the zepathans say he's descended of quetzl and they were also allied with the bnaimokt

what is going on anymore, we are in the dark on so much poo poo

quote:

is he just creating this bronze ex nihlo or is he just literally the greatest smith in the world in addition to all his other bullshit? god i'd love to get a look in his head and at all of his mystical secrets.

quote:

let's take the deal, dudes a jackass but we really need that bronze, it'll be a great surprise to the bnaimokt

quote:

hey everyone's asking about it so i asked on discord, apparently as far as we've ever noticed the men of zepath and kavodel are in fact significantly better equipped than everyone else. lots of blooded bronze as well as occasional actual mystic artifacts. we got a bit of a look at "secret" knowledge we aren't meant to know because diog pitied us again, apparently making blooded bronze isn't necessarily common but is something most smiths in zepath and kavodel are expected to eventually be able to do, and enkidel is actually the greatest smith outside of baitel, or tied for it. he can apparently create actual for real mystic gear with actual mystic effects. tbh i think he just wanted to rub salt in the wound of him being such a jackass in general

quote:

i hate enkidel so much but the offer seems legit, lets take it and if he's lying we can destroy his reputation. but he probably isn't since he's using his father's name

quote:

gently caress this offer and gently caress enkidel, lets go back to worshiping our great octopus overlord, like our ancestors

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Here's a theory: Fare or his daddy broke the will of Iron and it will not listen to the men of Ur because of it. Can you say this is not so?

yes, on the basis is that fare is lounger and lesser than Labaras. After the L-man did his thing his kids went on a rampage and killed a bunch of stuff including fare's parent. Maybe it happened but i'll believe it when i see it.

I sort of interpret the breaking of bronze to be more important as "you also can do this, as all his lineage" and less as "he broked ideal bronze ok bronze is taken for men now."

It could be that Labaras broke every conceivable metal and alloy (because El gave 'smithing' as a thing you can do) and we just didn't see that part.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rahul posted:

Yeah i'm ok with the kids doin some adventurin but they shouldn't be getting tied down out there and have to be able to come home

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

SerSpook posted:

Enkindel is obviously a demon infiltrator. That's how he got all the mystical bronze. Have him arrested

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

SerSpook posted:

Probably knows a lot we don't tbh

Except the value of fiber in your diet.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

I think that describing people as resources is horrible and exactly what I'd like to avoid. I agree the militarism is probably of no long term use, but I also think that treating people's lives like they are something to be used is exactly the sort of monsterousness that you see in demons and the PtB.

The kids are alright and are helping people not live wretched lives. If that's what they want to spend their lives on, I'm not going to tell them we know better.

Perhaps I worded it in overly game-like terms, but as a magistrate of a city taking a long-term view of things is kind of part of the job. I'm not saying we should force people to come home (even if we could) or ban people leaving; just provide some incentives for people to stick around, and maybe convince some people to return.

I'm not entirely against them doing stuff in the donut, I agree it's a lovely place and trying to make it less lovely is by no means a bad thing. I'm just worried that over the next 50-100 years a lot of them are going to die trying to defend a lost cause, and Kavodel is going to be all the weaker for it.

We can't save the Donut. Even saving our neighbouring cities is going to be tough, and probably not viable in the long run. Right now our youth are leaving Kavodel because we are not providing any opportunites for them. This is a policy problem, and it has a policy solution. We just need to provide them a reason to stay.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think it's entirely possible that someone with complete mastery of blooded iron would be more powerful than someone with complete mastery of blooded bronze. It's also entirely possible that there would be no difference between them, with the metal only acting as a vessel for divine power. It's even possible that we lack the ability to break iron in the same way Labaras did, or that it will require spending too many resources and too much [???] to be worth it. But it's certain that anything we can do with iron for at least the next three jubilees will be utter trash compared to what we could do with bronze in the same timeframe with Every-Strike as a tutor. And surviving the next three jubilees is going to be hard enough even if we go all-in on bronze.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Rahul posted:

Perhaps I worded it in overly game-like terms, but as a magistrate of a city taking a long-term view of things is kind of part of the job. I'm not saying we should force people to come home (even if we could) or ban people leaving; just provide some incentives for people to stick around, and maybe convince some people to return.

I'm not entirely against them doing stuff in the donut, I agree it's a lovely place and trying to make it less lovely is by no means a bad thing. I'm just worried that over the next 50-100 years a lot of them are going to die trying to defend a lost cause, and Kavodel is going to be all the weaker for it.

We can't save the Donut. Even saving our neighbouring cities is going to be tough, and probably not viable in the long run. Right now our youth are leaving Kavodel because we are not providing any opportunites for them. This is a policy problem, and it has a policy solution. We just need to provide them a reason to stay.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I think one possible solution is setting up a few villagers for these guys to settle. It would be beneficial to expand the amount of territory that we farm, and, while it won’t persuade everyone to come home, some members of these crews might want to settle down and have a place of their own to build and defend.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheCog posted:

What does "better" mean when high blooded bronze is indestructible and makes eagle arrows?

Will it somehow be better at making animated mechas?

That's a fair point. We don't know if at the top there isn't an effective difference. Maybe blooded bronze at the top is just a way to make the metal as good as the best possible alloy.

I fully accept that since our time and resources are finite that going down the iron path is less appealing. I just think that experimenting is fun and good and the the potential is there based on regular iron vs bronze.

If all smiths started with iron and the baseline regular gear was iron, that in itself might be an advantage, at least for chump smiths that aren't making blooded bronze.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it's entirely possible that someone with complete mastery of blooded iron would be more powerful than someone with complete mastery of blooded bronze. It's also entirely possible that there would be no difference between them, with the metal only acting as a vessel for divine power. It's even possible that we lack the ability to break iron in the same way Labaras did, or that it will require spending too many resources and too much [???] to be worth it. But it's certain that anything we can do with iron for at least the next three jubilees will be utter trash compared to what we could do with bronze in the same timeframe with Every-Strike as a tutor. And surviving the next three jubilees is going to be hard enough even if we go all-in on bronze.

My problem with this take is that someone would probably have done the mastery poo poo over copper so we wouldn't bother with bronze. Our option for iron only opened when we discovered the tech to bring it to fruition.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

SerSpook posted:

quote:

Diogines, has Onan ever reported back yet on how his efforts to have his men tail Enkidel and report back have been going? Why are we even paying that barbarian and letting him have free reign of the city's dice halls if he isn't even going to report back anything useful on where that 10 foot tall jackass keeps pulling magical poo poo out of his rear end from?!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah how's onan and his mighty spear is he still forcing bandits to become guardsmen?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Oh man, I didn't even consider the alternate thread question times to Diog. Oh god I want to read the Acco2 OpFor thread even more now.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

ask Chait what he thinks of iron

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
If we really wanted to unite the Donut, we'd capture a sea demon and send it on a tour of all the Donut cities and put some terror into them.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My problem with this take is that someone would probably have done the mastery poo poo over copper so we wouldn't bother with bronze. Our option for iron only opened when we discovered the tech to bring it to fruition.

This has been my reasoning that better base metals = better blooded metals; we know that blooded copper, silver, gold etc. both exist and kinda suck.

Now that doesn't really explain why Labaras stopped at Bronze (if he did). I think the extreme difficulty we have had in working Blooded Iron lends a lot of credibility to the theory; that the trail simply wasn't blazed. But why?

Surely the idea that it was too difficult for Labaras is ridiculous? Or that he had no grasp of the capabilities of iron? Or figured bronze was good enough and he had other things to do? That all seems like heresy to me - there's no satisfying answer.

I'd like to imagine Labs causing cataclysm after cataclysm as he broke the will of metal after metal. Maybe El just got tired of the racket after Bronze

Victis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 6, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Iron takes a lot more fuel to work? The deforestation argument genuinely doesn't seem disingenuous to me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Even Labaras in his great wisdom only had so much time on this Urth before he climbed the mountain. In revolutionizing the way humans live in every conceivable field imaginable, perhaps he simply did not have the time to break iron.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

To use game terminology, why start down a completely different tech tree?

BB is something the men of Ur have always used (in addition to barkstone). They have achieved far more with it than we have and we have literally just been given a How-to guide on getting better.

So instead of that you would prefer we try another, poorly understood metal which may or may not have the same potential as BB. We will have to spend decades if not more time trying to figure it out, and at the end of the day when we wind up making Blooded Iron arrows which hit a little harder than BB ones in 50 years will you call it a success? When we might have made 10 Eagle arrows in the same span of time? What if we find out that it just doesn't work?

You think this is a game where somehow we can cheese it by thinking sideways around a problem. Sometimes it's been successful, but I don't think Iron is one of them. Maybe level 90 Blooded Iron gear is marginally superior to the equivalent BB equivalent but even then we are like level 10 BB and level 1 iron at the moment (and levelling up iron is 10x harder).

I agree with Rahul, if/when we become truly godlike and can bend reality to our will we can consider playing with iron again but right now in a fight for survival we use the best tools we got. The ancients killed worse with stuff in this tech tree, why reinvent the wheel now? To insist on doing so is to suffer from SniperWoreConverse Syndrome writ large, except instead of burning your house down, failure means your entire family becomes dinner.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Z the IVth posted:

To use game terminology, why start down a completely different tech tree?

BB is something the men of Ur have always used (in addition to barkstone). They have achieved far more with it than we have and we have literally just been given a How-to guide on getting better.

So instead of that you would prefer we try another, poorly understood metal which may or may not have the same potential as BB. We will have to spend decades if not more time trying to figure it out, and at the end of the day when we wind up making Blooded Iron arrows which hit a little harder than BB ones in 50 years will you call it a success? When we might have made 10 Eagle arrows in the same span of time? What if we find out that it just doesn't work?

You think this is a game where somehow we can cheese it by thinking sideways around a problem. Sometimes it's been successful, but I don't think Iron is one of them. Maybe level 90 Blooded Iron gear is marginally superior to the equivalent BB equivalent but even then we are like level 10 BB and level 1 iron at the moment (and levelling up iron is 10x harder).

I agree with Rahul, if/when we become truly godlike and can bend reality to our will we can consider playing with iron again but right now in a fight for survival we use the best tools we got. The ancients killed worse with stuff in this tech tree, why reinvent the wheel now? To insist on doing so is to suffer from SniperWoreConverse Syndrome writ large, except instead of burning your house down, failure means your entire family becomes dinner.

I appreciate that view but I don't think that there's a separate tree, it is all smithing and the base activity can benefit all forms of it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rahul posted:

They're (mostly) not moving there permanently and the attrition rate is if anything a lot lower than suicide raids on the sea. Telling everyone to stay home and not kill things is never going to work, a fundamental part of our culture is killing things, so better they go try and kill things not the ocean.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
There's probably something we could do about increasing the prestige of other jobs, but the whole 'you are free to go out and be a complete idiot if you want to' part of Zepathan culture is a double edged sword.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
6. Give a reasonable scolarship to Blooded people willing to go to the Academy in Baitel and come back

Send people to look into the Afula Meteor. Special Magistrate mission!

Someone will come back eventually...

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 6, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

6. Privately ask Asahel for an account of what actually happened on his trip to retrieve the Loot Katamari. Or at least a less censored version. We're not snitchin' and have probably done way worse, I want to know what kind of assholes got stabbed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rahul posted:

I want to stop the donut from falling to begin with, both from a moral perspective and to deny our enemies a steady supply of blood slaves/fish juice. Continuing to allow some of our kids to run off there makes that a lot more likely to happen, and we already know we're not going to be attacked in Zepath and Kavodel in the near future, so I think it's worth it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Diog, first of all this is an amazing game and we appreciate the effort you put into it. Second, sorry for the following.

Which of the following has enkidel heard of and could possibly send some Junior Balls/other blooded youth to look into:

C. Passing by a village you hear a story of an ancient hermit who lives in a forest to the south. Though few in the village claim to have seen him, the man is supposedly the protector of the village and they leave cheese, wine and grain in a special shack past the edge of town for him every harvest. While many others seem terrified of the Bnaimokt, the villagers seem sure the hermit will protect them. Track down this hermit and have a chat.

E. One village you pass through tells you of exceptionally brutal bandits who kill everyone who travels along the road! The villagers give you a very tasty cake as they plead with you to find the villains and put a stop to them!

G. A farmer tells you of a horrible blood thirsty cannibal which has taken up residence in the wilderness nearby, abducting travelers from the road and cracking open their bones to feast upon their marrow! Track down the cannibal!

L. In a different remote village you learn from some farmers that a genuine Melachim lives in a forest nearby, blesses their fields and protects them from monsters! It showed up after the last Jubilee! You might ignore such ridiculous claims but their crops DO seem unusually lush, though not miraculously so. Investigate.

I. A hunter tells you that he has heard evil rumors about a village that he used to visit to pick up supplies. According to his friend, the people there destroyed their shrine to El and began worshiping idols! Visit this village.

J. You hear numerous rumors about Bnaimokt being spotted at the fringe of civilization. Some seem credible. Some seem like the scared rumors of scared people. Try to follow up on a few of the seemingly more credible ones.

K. A remote village reports that a few years ago a literal flood of goblins erupted from the earth, killed everyone in another village and dragged the corpses beneath the earth to devour them! They told you where it happened, please Hero, stop the goblins before they come for us next! Investigate.

N. While passing through a small city a merchant tries to sell you a breastplate. It bears the makers mark of a lesser Blooded Smith in Kavodel. It is low quality Blooded Bronze. Low quality for you, but it seems unlikely any Kavodelan would sell such a thing unless the need was truly dire, such things are in tremendous demand in Kavodel and even if its prior owner found something better, somehow, they would very probably pass along the armor to some male relative of theirs or a friend. The man has no idea the true origin of the armor, he bought it from a village nearby. Investigate.
Diogines hosed around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 29, 2020

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Mr. Nemo posted:

6. Give a reasonable scolarship to Blooded people willing to go to the Academy in Baitel and come back

Send people to look into the Afula Meteor. Special Magistrate mission!

Someone will come back eventually...

Actually yeah. If the problem really is that youth are leaving because there's nothing to do and they must seek glory elsewhere, then we should at least try and come up with things they can do elsewhere while still being in the service of Kavodel.

Academy, meteor scout missions, sure. Why not an entire scouting service? It can be a new 'intelligence' branch of the Kavodelians forces - people can go out far and wide across Ur with the express purpose of gathering information, big or small, to bring back to Enkidel, so to keep him abreast of movements in the world. We could either promise to reward those who come back, commensurate with the value of the info, or give people stipends before they go out in our service.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Oh, the exploratory corps idea again. The balls already do this, as do the various adventuring groups. Esher found the tree monster he killed because the Golden Sandals heard about it and sold him the lead.

Afula might be a good trip, but it's going to take years. It's far away. Real far.

The academy is a dead end, let's not throw good manpower after bad.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
It's already being thrown away is the problem. Right now blooded youth are just leaving, full stop. Not everything we send people out on will work but it's presumably better than ensuring no results by not trying at all. The balls kind of scout, but not in a dedicated way, and not in a way that ranges across all of Ur with timescales of multiple years, with an eye to even mundane seeming information.

It won't appease all the glory seekers, those who want to slay demons or do great martial deeds won't be satisfied with just exploring, but it could help keep those youths who would otherwise leave just because they feel that there's nothing constructive left for them to do here.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

6. Privately ask Asahel for an account of what actually happened on his trip to retrieve the Loot Katamari. Or at least a less censored version. We're not snitchin' and have probably done way worse, I want to know what kind of assholes got stabbed.

The story we told the masses was that we found a mountain spider fortress iirc, something which either we would have told Ash+co wasn't true, or they would have figured out when they got to where we buried it

My reading of it was that they dawdled so they could spend their time getting their "yes it was extra spidery and this is what we all saw when we picked the place clean" story 100% airtight?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 6, 2020

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

alpaca diseases posted:

The story we told the masses was that we found a mountain spider fortress iirc, something which either we would have told Ash+co wasn't true, or they would have figured out when they got to where we buried it

My reading of it was that they dawdled so they could spend their time getting their "yes it was extra spidery and this is what we all saw when we picked the place clean" story 100% airtight?

Yeah they rehearsed the crap out of the story. Asahel knows where it was because they had to go almost all the way to Carine and he straight up asked if we had sacked their entire palace when he came back.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Diog, first of all this is an amazing game and we appreciate the effort you put into it. Second, sorry for the following.

Which of the following has enkidel heard of and could possibly send some Junior Balls/other blooded youth to look into:

C. Passing by a village you hear a story of an ancient hermit who lives in a forest to the south. Though few in the village claim to have seen him, the man is supposedly the protector of the village and they leave cheese, wine and grain in a special shack past the edge of town for him every harvest. While many others seem terrified of the Bnaimokt, the villagers seem sure the hermit will protect them. Track down this hermit and have a chat.

E. One village you pass through tells you of exceptionally brutal bandits who kill everyone who travels along the road! The villagers give you a very tasty cake as they plead with you to find the villains and put a stop to them!

G. A farmer tells you of a horrible blood thirsty cannibal which has taken up residence in the wilderness nearby, abducting travelers from the road and cracking open their bones to feast upon their marrow! Track down the cannibal!

L. In a different remote village you learn from some farmers that a genuine Melachim lives in a forest nearby, blesses their fields and protects them from monsters! It showed up after the last Jubilee! You might ignore such ridiculous claims but their crops DO seem unusually lush, though not miraculously so. Investigate.

I. A hunter tells you that he has heard evil rumors about a village that he used to visit to pick up supplies. According to his friend, the people there destroyed their shrine to El and began worshiping idols! Visit this village.

J. You hear numerous rumors about Bnaimokt being spotted at the fringe of civilization. Some seem credible. Some seem like the scared rumors of scared people. Try to follow up on a few of the seemingly more credible ones.

K. A remote village reports that a few years ago a literal flood of goblins erupted from the earth, killed everyone in another village and dragged the corpses beneath the earth to devour them! They told you where it happened, please Hero, stop the goblins before they come for us next! Investigate.

N. While passing through a small city a merchant tries to sell you a breastplate. It bears the makers mark of a lesser Blooded Smith in Kavodel. It is low quality Blooded Bronze. Low quality for you, but it seems unlikely any Kavodelan would sell such a thing unless the need was truly dire, such things are in tremendous demand in Kavodel and even if its prior owner found something better, somehow, they would very probably pass along the armor to some male relative of theirs or a friend. The man has no idea the true origin of the armor, he bought it from a village nearby. Investigate.
Diogines hosed around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 29, 2020

A. The Adventures of Enkidel, the Hero of Kavodel.
B. A textbook on an esoteric topic, like leather making, or say, physics or the precise economic output of Acco down to a sandal strap.
C. A novel you only read and don't interact with.

We can only pick one, and the Capybaras suggest A. The adventurers of Kavodel have a life of their own, they do their own thing. If you want a detailed report on how random people follow up on dozens of leads, then, well... we are not ignoring you, but we are declining to answer? To write a detailed report on such fit for consumption would take all of the Capybaras efforts and leave them time to work on nothing else, let alone an actual uh, adventurer where you do stuff?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 6, 2020

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Fair enough. Hopefuly Afula meteor and Fakidel are big enough to warrant attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Theglavwen posted:

It's already being thrown away is the problem. Right now blooded youth are just leaving, full stop. Not everything we send people out on will work but it's presumably better than ensuring no results by not trying at all. The balls kind of scout, but not in a dedicated way, and not in a way that ranges across all of Ur with timescales of multiple years, with an eye to even mundane seeming information.

It won't appease all the glory seekers, those who want to slay demons or do great martial deeds won't be satisfied with just exploring, but it could help keep those youths who would otherwise leave just because they feel that there's nothing constructive left for them to do here.

Nobody is leaving permanently except for the ones that die, they're going out to adventure and then come back home. Nobody wants to move to the Donut, it's a lovely place full of lovely rulers. It's a non-existent problem, the only other option is throw them at the ocean or southern wilds instead which will kill WAY more.