Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cornuto posted:

Talking to a King and fielding 10,000 write in questions doesn't sound like white knuckle excitement. I'd rather us heed advice about not interfering, and get on with the task at hand. The caravan is our responsibility. We've done what was asked of us by the Melachim and paid our debt, its time to move on.

we are not interfering by going into the city

and once again, we might get a ton of silver for saving ashkalon

and we build rep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006
A and F. Time to move on to the main mission. We can stop by on the return.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

we are not interfering by going into the city

and once again, we might get a ton of silver for saving ashkalon

and we build rep

We are already supposed to be making a ton of silver from our caravan. That we should get back out to.

If the kings here are fighting, I am worried about what could happen to ours without our protection for so long.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

Zepa left you a monument, didn't he?

That doesn't count and you know it! :argh:

Thanks for the answers though. The big thing is going to be seeing Mt. Har in person - I feel a lot regarding this whole soul scenario is going to get answered when we get to Baitel and near that big Big Bug Zapper to the northeast.

Also:

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

gently caress staying around. Let's just leave, the convoy might be in trouble. Besides if we stay we'll have long votes about speeches and what to say

Please please please can we go now

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 13, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We are already supposed to be making a ton of silver from our caravan. That we should get back out to.

If the kings here are fighting, I am worried about what could happen to ours without our protection for so long.

we left Gareb there

if an actual king shows up our strength and uriah's mean jack-poo poo

the merchant cannot steal that poo poo because gareb is there

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Geez maybe I can have a fun adventure somewhere doing something.

No, guess not! See ya guys, don't want possibly a bunch of silver to spend on a sweet bow in Baitel! Also, don't care about glory or reputation. No sirree.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

F seems to be the winner. Time skips take time, I am starting on the update but I do not know if I am going to finish in time tonight. If I finish, the update will go up, if not, tomorrow evening when I get home. Voting remains open till the update goes up.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

Geez maybe I can have a fun adventure somewhere doing something.

No, guess not! See ya guys, don't want possibly a bunch of silver to spend on a sweet bow in Baitel! Also, don't care about glory or reputation. No sirree.

Eh, I think we passed up our chance to be in on the fun adventure when we decided not to charge. Now it seems pretty predictable how things are going to go; everything's already done, all we're going to be able to get in on is cleanup and some conversation. Maybe something interesting will occur, something big will come up in conversation, a Melachim will show up and mysteriously give us no new information, etc., but it seems just as likely that something interesting and new could show up by just continuing our caravan, without several updates of asking the king questions about just how El-loving he is, and just how El-hating his enemies were.

There might be some fertile ground to be broken in meeting up with the king, but it doesn't seem that much more likely to be worthwhile than just continuing on into the unknown, and some people would rather take our chances with the caravan than engage in political discussions with the king, I suppose. Doesn't seem that outlandish.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Are some of you guys seriously so paranoid about long Q&A sessions you're partially basing your decision to leave around avoiding one?

You know you can skim those, right?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Eh, I think we passed up our chance to be in on the fun adventure when we decided not to charge. Now it seems pretty predictable how things are going to go; everything's already done, all we're going to be able to get in on is cleanup and some conversation. Maybe something interesting will occur, something big will come up in conversation, a Melachim will show up and mysteriously give us no new information, etc., but it seems just as likely that something interesting and new could show up by just continuing our caravan, without several updates of asking the king questions about just how El-loving he is, and just how El-hating his enemies were.

There might be some fertile ground to be broken in meeting up with the king, but it doesn't seem that much more likely to be worthwhile than just continuing on into the unknown, and some people would rather take our chances with the caravan than engage in political discussions with the king, I suppose. Doesn't seem that outlandish.

We would probably be given a bunch of silver for future Super-Bow for starters.

Diog, just out of curiosity, how likely does Enkidel think a reward is for our actions? If we'd have gone to the King of Tadmor? There's also all the other poo poo surrounding recovering from a siege, like saving people from fires and women/children from attackers.

And saving the life of the Prince of Harmath, whom a Melachim literally saved as we watched. We can vouch for that poo poo so he isn't killed.

But no. Clearly going to this city is boring, travelogues are much more entertaining.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

See it's votes like these that make me want to call for the Thread split. Fine, most of my votes lost. I can live with that because at least we were doing something. Choosing to be boring, ignoring calls for action, and then petulantly walking away without at least finding out what happens next?

THAT kills interest in the game. What's the point of getting involved in the story if you guys keep walking away from it?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

gently caress staying around. Let's just leave, the convoy might be in trouble. Besides if we stay we'll have long votes about speeches and what to say
This is directly in response to people who want to get things moving as quickly as possible "in real life".

Time skips take time. The way our game works, every time that we advance time, I have to consult with the capybaras to find out what is going on everywhere in Ur.

If the capybaras have to work out your continued journey, I honestly don't think I am going to get an update up before tomorrow night at the earliest. They are starting to work on it now, but they need to figure out everything that happens along your continued trip.

Going into the city is pretty simple, you will probably get an update tonight and a few smaller updates during the day tomorrow, culminating in a time skip either tomorrow night, or maybe Saturday morning.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

FoxTerrier posted:

Are some of you guys seriously so paranoid about long Q&A sessions you're partially basing your decision to leave around avoiding one?

You know you can skim those, right?

I wanted to leave in the first place for other reasons - skipping arguing about just the right introduction to give to King Whogivesafuck is the icing on the cake.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Do people really not want to know what happened that got the King of Tadmor to topple a siege tower and then beat three kings to death with a 15-foot tall wooden pole?

Because absent everything else, that story seems pretty interesting. And no guarantee that the introduction, etc, will actually go like that. In fact they usually don't!

And that gets an update tonight! Maybe.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Task Manager posted:

I wanted to leave in the first place for other reasons - skipping arguing about just the right introduction to give to King Whogivesafuck is the icing on the cake.

I get having other reasons to want to leave, but I don't get how potentially skipping a vote cycle you find dull is the icing on the cake. There's no guarantee that what comes next on the road to Baitel is going to be cooler than worst-case-scenario speechifying, or that the visit to the King will be dull in the first place.

And even if it does turn out to be boring as poo poo, you can just skip the speech vote cycle while the people that do care argue, and then tune in for the next update.

Leaning your vote a certain way just because you perceive a possible outcome of an option as dull just seems silly to me I guess. But maybe I'm just still bitter from when I really wanted to talk to Jalitha before we got zapped and other players wouldn't do it because it'd be 'boring.' :shrug:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

I get having other reasons to want to leave, but I don't get how potentially skipping a vote cycle you find dull is the icing on the cake. There's no guarantee that what comes next on the road to Baitel is going to be cooler than worst-case-scenario speechifying, or that the visit to the King will be dull in the first place.

And even if it does turn out to be boring as poo poo, you can just skip the speech vote cycle while the people that do care argue, and then tune in for the next update.

Leaning your vote a certain way just because you perceive a possible outcome of an option as dull just seems silly to me I guess. But maybe I'm just still bitter from when I really wanted to talk to Jalitha before we got zapped and other players wouldn't do it because it'd be 'boring.' :shrug:

TBH I am doing this very same thing because I perceive just continuing on as boring. And we need to really make sure the King knows that Zobah's son is a good guy that wanted to call off the attack, and a Melachim may have saved him.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

jng2058 posted:

See it's votes like these that make me want to call for the Thread split. Fine, most of my votes lost. I can live with that because at least we were doing something. Choosing to be boring, ignoring calls for action, and then petulantly walking away without at least finding out what happens next?

THAT kills interest in the game. What's the point of getting involved in the story if you guys keep walking away from it?

Keeping in mind that I still want to go to Tadmor, I think a lot of people would argue that a vote for Tadmor is the real vote for 'not doing anything'. Tadmor's done, they might say, there's nothing interesting left to 'get involved' with here, just a lot of Q&A sessions and speech writing. Let's get back on the road, they'd exclaim, so that we can hurry up and get to the next dynamic event.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Keeping in mind that I still want to go to Tadmor, I think a lot of people would argue that a vote for Tadmor is the real vote for 'not doing anything'. Tadmor's done, they might say, there's nothing interesting left to 'get involved' with here, just a lot of Q&A sessions and speech writing. Let's get back on the road, they'd exclaim, so that we can hurry up and get to the next dynamic event.

At the very least we need to get Zobah's son justice. We saw a Melachim save him. We really need to point that out to the King of Tadmor so he isn't executed out of hand.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

1. A
3. F
4. L

edit: If we really want to visit the city, we can do it on the way back, when the king has less to deal with. Once he's done cleaning up a battle and putting out the fires all over his city, he'll probably be more open to answering our questions.

Kyyp fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 13, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am reporting every wrong vote in this thread.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

TBH I am doing this very same thing because I perceive just continuing on as boring. And we need to really make sure the King knows that Zobah's son is a good guy that wanted to call off the attack, and a Melachim may have saved him.

See, the reason why I want to leave is not that I find these things uninteresting, I just don't want Enkidel embroiled in inner city-state intrigues and politics. The poo poo happening here is stupid as Kings squabble and waste men's lives over slivers of land. I would love to steam roll these assholes, but we were told not to meddle in the affairs of kings.

It would be interesting, but we can't do what we all really want to do with these petulant, arrogant Kings without a divine smiting. My only hope is that Baitel suffers less from this, but who the El knows.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Theglavwen posted:

What's the point? So we can sit on another hill while thousands of people we could have saved die under our careful supervision? What's so dynamic about that?

Going into Tadmor is not doing nothing. There are significant things we can do there, and things we can learn about. There's an El faithful heir in there who could use a hand. There are lives we could save, allies we could make. Not to mention whatever surprises Diog might come up with.

Walking away from that, after choosing to not help keep people from dying and then choosing to not fight for the righteous leading to even more people dying than had to, THAT is doing nothing, and that's what stabs at my enthusiasm for the whole exercise.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

See, the reason why I want to leave is not that I find these things uninteresting, I just don't want Enkidel embroiled in inner city-state intrigues and politics. The poo poo happening here is stupid as Kings squabble and waste men's lives over slivers of land. I would love to steam roll these assholes, but we were told not to meddle in the affairs of kings.

It would be interesting, but we can't do what we all really want to do with these petulant, arrogant Kings without a divine smiting. My only hope is that Baitel suffers less from this, but who the El knows.

At this point it no longer matters really.

But do you seriously think they will have that going on with a chunk of the city on fire, and with a king that did what he did? They also don't have serfs here. And this King is at least a bit more Blooded than all those other ones. For all we know, the aggressors in this conflict have in fact been the Harmathans from the start.

Going into the city isn't meddling. I don't get why people think it is. Saving people from fire isn't meddling in the affairs of kings. Telling the King what happened earlier isn't meddling.

Attacking an army we haven't been told to attack is meddling. Going and forcing other kings to do as we do in a few years is meddling. Exchanging some information to get a complete picture isn't.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

HEY.
You know what usually happens when an army is defeated, a ton of them run away, and are likely to be hunted down by the victor of the war?

They become outlaws and bandits, because going home means death.

Lucky for them, there's a huge caravan of pilgrims nearby with tons of supplies and expensive monster corpses. And not only that, but their leader might leave them alone to go into the city they're running from! Jackpot!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kyyp posted:

HEY.
You know what usually happens when an army is defeated, a ton of them run away, and are likely to be hunted down by the victor of the war?

They become outlaws and bandits, because going home means death.

Lucky for them, there's a huge caravan of pilgrims nearby with tons of supplies and expensive monster corpses. And not only that, but their leader might leave them alone to go into the city they're running from! Jackpot!

Lucky for the caravan, it has a group of Blooded men and men that have Presences like they are Blooded protecting them! And hey, looks like a good chunk of the Blooded of the invading army is dead thanks to a certain siege-tower surfing badass we are not going to meet.

Also the caravan is a few days away. Not in immediate danger from this.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I would love to steam roll these assholes, but we were told not to meddle in the affairs of kings.

Agh, sorry, it's not even that I disagree with your sentiment, but this is rapidly becoming a pet peeve. Assuming you're talking about Ishamal, and not Tudiya's caution, no we weren't. Even setting aside the fact that Ishamal's warnings are in the context of what we might do once we're an unstoppable Mighty juggernaut, who could subvert and dominate the entire political order, what he specifically told us was "you will not overly meddle in the affairs of the kings or the cities of Baitel".

Not overly meddle. This isn't to say that we're not allowed to interact with kings or politics in any regard, particularly when we've been led to the events by the Melachim (whom Ishamal also referred to as being the sort that would tell us when we've meddled too much, so there's a grace period/safety net here too). We're allowed to partake in standard human interaction between important people, we're just not supposed to use our abilities to dominate or otherwise subvert those actions and relationships that are the rightful purview of other authorities.

jng2058 posted:

What's the point? So we can sit on another hill while thousands of people we could have saved die under our careful supervision? What's so dynamic about that?

Going into Tadmor is not doing nothing. There are significant things we can do there, and things we can learn about. There's an El faithful heir in there who could use a hand. There are lives we could save, allies we could make. Not to mention whatever surprises Diog might come up with.

Walking away from that, after choosing to not help keep people from dying and then choosing to not fight for the righteous leading to even more people dying than had to, THAT is doing nothing, and that's what stabs at my enthusiasm for the whole exercise.

Well presumably not every situation will be exactly like this one. I think you're being unnecessarily pessimistic if you think that because people don't want to follow up on this situation, which at least has the potential to be tedious, fruitless and overly complicated, means that they're never going to want to follow up on any situation, perhaps one less ambiguous.

We have here a semi-complicated political situation, that people want to avoid for a wide range of reasons. I think there might be something interesting to see, and that Diog would probably throw something our way. I admit I could very well be wrong though, and we'd have two days of speech writing, a busy king who doesn't want to deal with us, and finding out that these 'righteous' dudes are just as foul as the others. I can't really fault those who think we're best not engaging with this temperamental situation, and hope to find one that's a little less grey.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

we're just not supposed to use our abilities to dominate or otherwise subvert those actions and relationships that are the rightful purview of other authorities.

You are right on that. It's just that, seeing the nature of things up here, it's more of a case of trying to civilize them rather than the other way around.

All being told, I don't mind stopping here, but I rather finish our mission first then come back to talk.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HiHo ChiRho posted:

You are right on that. It's just that, seeing the nature of things up here, it's more of a case of trying to civilize them rather than the other way around.

All being told, I don't mind stopping here, but I rather finish our mission first then come back to talk.

I think there is a reasonable argument to made for getting back to our caravan and make sure everything is going smoothly that way, then coming back in a few months with the whole convoy. So yeah, we could come back.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am settling the pacing fight people are having in thread and a bit more aggressively on IRC. We get you back on the road, come hell or high water, tomorrow night. About 24 hours from this post. No sooner, no latter. No sooner because that is about how long it will take me to figure out the next step of your journey and no later because well, slightly more than half of you want to stop and slightly less than half of you want to stop here at least briefly.

I am going to sleep in 3 hours and I would need about thirty minutes to write a "stay in the city" update. If visiting the city pulls ahead within the next two and a half hours, we will get an update up tonight and then I will go to sleep, expect 1-2 smaller updates tomorrow and a time skip at night. If not, expect the next update tomorrow night, returning to the caravan and moving on.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So if I'm reading this right, staying in the city doesn't actually cost us time in terms of updates. Either way we are time-skipping/back on road in 24 hours.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

I think there is a reasonable argument to made for getting back to our caravan and make sure everything is going smoothly that way, then coming back in a few months with the whole convoy. So yeah, we could come back.

Voting to come (Hah!) back via Tsyni's Helicopter dick.

e: Well then fine. Switching my vote back to staying and walk up to the king and just Stare at him.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Voting to come (Hah!) back via Tsyni's Helicopter dick.

e: Well then fine. Switching my vote back to staying and walk up to the king and just Stare at him.

I liked Plan Dick-copter too.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

So if I'm reading this right, staying in the city doesn't actually cost us time in terms of updates. Either way we are time-skipping/back on road in 24 hours.

quote:

21:29:42 | <Diog> Correct.
21:29:47 | <Diog> Time skips *take time*
21:29:51 | <Diog> Me and the capybaras have to work poo poo out.
21:29:53 | <Diog> That takes time.
21:30:08 | <Diog> This isnt a dungeon crawl with a set start and a set end. We simulate a world.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Nolaterif posted:

1. A
2. "If we'd killed enough people, would there be no war? If we killed everyone you believe needed to die, would this place look any different?"
3. F Changing to G. Maybe we can mention to the king of Tadmor that Zobah's son tried to get his father to leave.

I like all of this, +1 to each

also,
4. L

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

for folks worried about getting pulled further into the war, we can always say no

and i think this war is already over. most of the fighting Blooded are dead on the Harmathan side, including 3 of the 4 kings. Tadmor's King probably just gained a bunch of territory

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. A

2. STFU you big baby.

3. F

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

jng2058 posted:

+1 this

Wait, is this the vote? I don't know I just want to punch/stab/yell things to death and have some (more) action in this CYOA about Bronze Age Gokus riding siege towers to the ground, not arguing about the exact correct interpretation vs gist of 'Do not destroy/Do not interfere' or using them as reasons to not be Goku.

I better report myself anyway, just to be safe.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 13, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maxhush posted:

+1 this

Wait, is this the vote? I don't know I just want to punch/stab/yell things to death and have some (more) action in this CYOA about Bronze Age Gokus riding siege towers to the ground, not arguing about the exact correct interpretation vs gist of 'Do not destroy/Do not interfere' or using them as reasons to not be Goku.

I better report myself anyway, just to be safe.

Don't worry I've already reported you.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Hiho has been so kind as to count. It appears my initial count was wrong, I did not factor in some changed votes. Staying beat leaving. Update incoming as soon as I finish it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Bolt over, not bothering to say who you are other than just being a giant black man that they've never seen before, and start looting King corpses.

Also, gently caress off Uriah.