Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
I blazed through the thread in a few weeks. It's been great. I don't think I saw an official "voting closed" thing but it seems they're already counted? I wrote some stuff anyway.

I'd like to propose a new thing: Team Philosopher King.

Votes:
A (Ishamal Training) = 2 points.
Ishamal as trainer, not interviewee, has the best chance of helping us discover more about who we are and the world at large, with the added bonus of expanding control of our powers.

E (Administer Kavodel) = 1 point. Settle disputes, see that land is allotted fairly, perform other administrative tasks. We're already a famous savior of the devout and slayer of monsters; let's put those legal/civics/math skills to work for Kavodel. Make being a citizen/refugee in Kavodel mean something special to these people. I'd also like to suggest moving the Balls statue to Kavodel near the river in some prominent place and having an inscription added to it akin to the Statue of Liberty's, appealing to teeming masses yearning for freedom, security, and direction.

L (Train Masses in Archery) = 1 point. Coaching large groups of our people should benefit military power, our leadership/archery skills and popularity. We won't likely be full-time monster hunters in the near future, and having strong soldier-citizenry is getting more and more important in the world. If this was a game of Dominions, I think this world has transitioned from the Early to Middle era. Also, imagine if Ball Trance shifted to massive precision (but unblooded) arrow storms.

O (Family Man)= 1 point with an emphasis in being a good dad. Tudiya has made a major impression on Enkidel recently with his actions. His diplomacy has started to involve caveats such as "...until the end of my reign." These things should make us want to reign in the negative aspects of Asahel's craziness (the equivalent of forging our signature, even with the best intentions...) while encouraging his talents, as well as having our other sons grow up knowing whose example to follow. Tell them of what kind of king we wish to be, how their lives may change in the near future and what we hope for them. Include some basic (and very hypocritical) power vs. responsibility speeches.

Diogines have you read Till We Have Faces? I think you'd really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

1. Voting A
2. E - Talk to Ishamal first
. I see no downside to just hearing his opinion. Perhaps we could at least ask him about the language of giants?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

B, I, but only Paebel, Asahel, and Enkidel will watch the thing from a stealthy distance. If it spots even a single ball whose armor catches a glint of sunlight, steps on a twig etc. we might lose the advantage entirely.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

B seems like the best balance between safety and glory/loot. This is not an ideal time or place to fight this thing. We don't have a good shot with the bow and we're not in range for our spine-shattering shield smash. This monster is big, extremely agile, and has nasty ranged attacks. It's going to gently caress us up if we go the direct route, I think. Maybe we can sneak above the cave mouth later and lure it out again to give it the 'ol Spit Roast (bronze arrow + Uriah's dragon breath) or something.

Also, try to suppress our Mightiness if that's a thing we can do. It might be sniffing our Might/Meter as much as our scent.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

So to be clear regarding this thing's mass, while we can hit it with a Bronze Arrow from here... how badly should we expect that to hurt it? How badly can we expect to be able to hurt it in general? If we got close enough to punch/club it without getting roasted or frozen, how hard could we hit it?

Also, the monster depicted seems to be bipedal plus a long tail. Is that accurate? Sorry to second guess Diog's thing saying it's accurate except the number of heads, but it may be important. :shrug:

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Voting C. Uriah's monster hunting experience seems worth following, and I agree with his assessment about using statues as cover. Most of them are probably going to be too small or awkward to be effective vs. breath weapons. Have a few of the regular balls with torches at the ready, and/or Ruth with some fire arrows if she can manage that.

Mr. Crawly might make a nice warmup and morale/power booster to help with the rest of the journey. We're making this journey for the sake of knowledge, killing this thing and perhaps finding out about the victims may make a good appetizer.

It does seem weirdly coincidental that we were given a mirror shield, but I don't see how we can safely use it. I hope it wasn't some kind of test.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

I am 90% sure we don't have a mirror shield.

Yeah sorry, that was dumb.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

quote:

Sure, but the thing is, if things down the line get so crazy we can't come back...isn't that going to be a perfectly full share of adventure? It kinda feels like saying we have to eat THIS cake NOW because we might eat so much cake later that we'll be too full to eat this cake. That's the bit that puzzles me, either way we'll be getting plenty of action and excitement, so I'm not sure why there has to be violent hostility at the idea of dealing with this later.

I think the idea is that eating this medium-sized cake will help us eat the bigger-sized cake later, warming up by doing a heroic task before working to fulfill a very important long-term goal.

To me it's like people voting A think we're going to injure ourselves doing warmups while the rest might think of it as a boost (to morale/teamwork/knowledge/useful treasure) before the main event. I guess it's about people's perceptions of risk/reward and to me A is overly conservative.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

1. B -Yeah, wolves are basically at their strongest when they're separating the weak and strong members of a fleeing herd.
2. J - With pretty agile targets, I don't think the club is a good option here. Quick and stabby is the way to go.
3. P

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

1. G
2. O, shooting our normal arrows with no fancy called shots at Everfang until we switch to melee weapons.
Everfang seems to be leading the charge and is a relatively big target; slowing it down might help a lot.

Diplomacy seems ridiculous until we take them down several notches. Other than the donkeys we seem to have all resisted the fear effects. We need to use our lemon fresh bravery and cool deadliness first. We've denied them the fleeing clusterfuck they wanted too, and we're pretty drat good at receiving charges.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

F+H. We'll be what, 1/4 on "winning duels without outside help" if we can beat Everfang alone? We're historically pretty bad at these one on one fights. Let's use every advantage possible to hopefully not look like idiots/die again.

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 2, 2015

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Clockwise-circle the joystick. Clockwise-circle the joystick to fight dirty! Try to gouge out out Everfang's eyes!

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Ouroborus posted:

What we should have done was barrage the fucker at range with our epic bow...

Yeah, it's weird to me how many different ways people are voting to handicap ourselves in a life or death situation.

1. Keep no-powers promise. This is understandable.
2. Don't use the bow, the weapon we've trained in more than any other before engaging, even though our Balls don't care as much about its unmanly image as most Zepathians. The one we've pledged, by the way, to only use on non-human enemies.
3. Don't fight dirty against the slavering beast because wait a minute what the hell!?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Ouroborus posted:

I just thought of a loving good reason to kill this stupid wolf ASAP. He's using magic. Magic makes us more visible to things we'd rather avoid. That was the whole point of "Don't use mighty powers!" And this wolf is doing all sorts of LOUD weird poo poo.

It might be something to ask Ishamal about later, if "beast magic" draws attention/otherwise differs from Might, but yeah, all the more reason to get elbow deep in ocular blood lickety-split.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

I - "Over what lands does your territory extend?" Give him time to describe his territory and ask, gesturing toward what we think of as the Land of Giants:
"And what of those lands? What lies beyond your territory there?"

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Voting C but, if Everfang can understand the concept, extend the definition of "our people" to humankind in general. No killing humans.

Also, instead of G, let's magnanimously offer him the chance to join our pack and see how he responds to that.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

If there's still time:

"You say the lungs of giants taste good. What are the tastiest parts of other big creatures you've eaten?"

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

I think showing mercy and having it mean something, for us but especially to Everfang, is a good choice. Let's teach Everfang this foreign, human concept of mercy. Make him make the connection that it is good that he was spared, and that the price he pays for this is sparing humans.

Some seem worried that a beast like this won't have the intellectual means to adhere to a ban on its killing habits, but this is apparently the first time Everfang has been beaten in primal combat; that tends to make an impression on godlike beings I think, beast-level intellect or no. Is it possible that showing mercy to this godlike king of beasts may make a subtle change in its soul? Isn't this how pacts and friendships between nigh-immortals are made? And there are also more practical aspects: what if we need to send some Balls back home for whatever reason through this territory again?

I also don't think it's disrupting any kind of natural order to put a ban on Everfang specifically (not all wolves or anything crazy like that) abstaining from human flesh. In spite of its limited intellect, maybe we can make it as specific as "don't hunt humans; only kill in great need." It's not perfect but we're not dealing with some contract-writing lawful evil baatezu here. Communicate the essentials, try to speak like a wolf thinks.

tldr; wolf god attacked us, we kicked its rear end and want to show mercy. Making it promise to cut that poo poo out is pious, smart, and cool.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

UppaTree posted:

Actual Vote: TELL the oxen to run away, PREDATORS ARE COMING. Then, while the carts are in disarray, retreat.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That is a pretty good way of miming "we won't kill you".

Why would we entrust reptilian conquistadors who have weird technology/sorcery who were waiting in ambush with the power to end our lives?

Voting K. Man I love this CYOA and everything but I will laugh my rear end off if they just slit our throat in the same way lightning sword guy did if we surrender/let ourselves be bound here. I mean what's the best case scenario of what they are likely to do with us? Everfang should have taught us that interspecies diplomacy is best achieved from a position of martial dominance. Let's run away and regroup. It would have been great to try and route them with long-range sniping and maybe take a prisoner, but it's way too late for that now.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

FC Pray, Eat, Love

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

A, let the secrets slip through our fingers as it were, and into our ruined bow hand/body.

At least we have the experiential knowledge that sacrifices and prayers can penetrate even a gargantuan Presence like this.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

B is for balanced approach.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Plan Tomn. I don't know if the "do it gently, seņor" part is going to help much but it's good to rebuff his accusation of deceit.
I hope this isn't the end. :(

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Grit teeth, clinched fists, heart full of El and eyes full forward. Focus on owning our bodies.

I'm sure we'll be fine. Diog was evasive on whether it felt evil and the flames look tacky as hell.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

F

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Ouroborus posted:

Maybe the bad guys are played by another forum.

Diog: "You sense a terrifically powerful presence above, a number of smaller ones go with it. They're broken through the shield dome!"

Other forum: "Engage the enemy more closely."

Diog: "There is a great chasm that is too wide for you to jump, you hope the invader can't jump it either but from the feel this is what the humans called a "Mighty Man" A being of pure, destructive power and it is here, now."

Other Forum: "OH poo poo! gently caress. Ok, Get "Screams good" to distract them while the rest of us jump up and down and try to collapse the cavern."
'What, with us in it?'
'Yes! There's no time!'
'Preemptively calling this 'Jumpgate''
'Whatever, jump!'

I really want this to be true.

B, btw

Also, zombie demon things are totally doing Russian squat dances, duh.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

N, full draw bronze arrow shot to the head while it's pinned.

I think it's a good threshold to figure out if it will be possible to slow it down at all.

We've got extremely long limbs and "tremendous" reflexes and speed. Could doorkicker-esque front snap kicks and shield bashes keep it at bay while the others retreat? How good is Enkidel at grappling anyway? Is Urian unarmed fighting mainly just fisticuffs or is there a tradition of wrassling?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Or we could simply grab a monster, fly 100 feet up, and drop them. That could work. We could pantomime jumping really high to disguise it too?

Enkidel is probably better fit for bursts of strength than carrying people aloft. We might have to settle for a 50-foot spinning piledriver. :(

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Voting B, but I hope we'll be able to pursue the last giant directly afterwards assuming he runs away.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Fly like a butterfly, sting like a B.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

G, the small presences could be something really interesting.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

C, there's really no downside to listening for a minute or so and getting valuable intel with our fairly excellent hearing, is there? :(

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Theglavwen posted:

Voting K. Get out, perch on the roof, try and get a feel for the remaining major presences. If they don't become active, maybe there's more we can do here, if they do become active, we'd best get the gently caress away before they sense us, get back to our Balls, and prepare for everyone to die.

This, it's like a safer H option: gives us a vantage point, information and relative stealth. Getting high and hidden gives us way more tactical options.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

C, he thinks we're either fleeing or taken care of, and he may even open the vault for us, right?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Ok, so we're currently down to two silver-mesh giants and three lesser giants charging the common balls. Our three Mighty Men should be flanking from the east. And Uriah has already gotten a little of our juice on his dribbly bib. I think keeping a low profile on the supernatural radar and our current 1v1 with what may be the strongest among this group of giants outweighs the needs of our selfish fire-burping baby.

A.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

D for now. He's got two wounds, it's tempting to get to the balls but our main Mighty Men flanking should be enough to at least take the attention off our normal balls.

RIP Uzzia.

Also, Diog: shouldn't there only be 2 silver-mesh giants engaged with the Balls now? Is the one we shot through the neck still going?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Yeah, don't worry about dwindling interest rates. On the other hand, I'm Really Anticipating an update sometime before I retire.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

A. What better time to go into a fugue state than when gaining new untested powers from incomprehensible beings? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

MonstEr Mash / Pulp Fiction!

Probably go for the altar next though.