Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Be a man. Or woman or tortoise or "interesting" creature. We've had enough divinity for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

D. Surely we'll live an idyllic trouble-free life and paint dolphins all day.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

F. We brought this on ourselves by nodding enthusiastically.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

G. "HELP!" while pointing.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C. I bet Ashera doesn't like crybabies.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. BADEFCHG
2. L

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Outrail posted:

Option C, but then walk up the the hands outstretched guy and say "Hello, me Og, peace, yes?" in his language

C. Don't tell or ask dad, just start trying to communicate.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

J, plan Lanky Coconut Tree. It might not work, but at least it doesn't betray anyone close to us. And we need more time to learn Asherah priest powers.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Going right now would be shortsighted. Yes, Baitel is awesome, but we are not. If we go now, we'll be a nobody and possibly stay a nobody.

Or, we can stay and become one of the world's few priests of a real and powerful god. Maybe chiefetan too. Then we can choose to bring ourselves and our talents to Baitel, or stay but form close ties with them to bring the neolithic to us. Or something completely different because our options will be wide open.

There's no immediate danger in staying, either. The foreigners are merchants, they're going to cut losses and run if a fight breaks out. The main threat to the village would be if an army returns in their place. But armies don't get sent on distant expeditions lightly, and Jalitha is going to soften her story if she knows we're still here. Meanwhile if we run now, we risk getting struck down by a divine storm.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

H and F. E gets us killed, D gets Jalitha killed when she chases after us.

Also a side of G: As we flee, choke back the tears and pray to Asherah and then to El to protect us, Jalitha, and the people of the village.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Voting for the Tudhalias Edda, including the bit about Marnal.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Mom, what's so important about hair? And why do they need to give me a different name? I'm OG!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"Fine. Cut my stupid hair, I hate it. But tell him that when he chooses a name it better still be Og."

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Allowing our hair to be cut without qualm means that you've decided the character rejects Asherah and those he's known as his people and family, based pretty solely on Jalitha's statements. That might be fine, but I hope you've got a good idea of the kid's character in mind, to reconcile his previously established belief and dedication to Asherah, his stories and principles, and the ocean, with his now apparent willingness to completely disregard it all and go along with King Handsome.
The way I see it, we never liked Asherah. He's real, and he's important, but the reason we started paying attention to lessons is because as a socially outcast 11-year-old we had escapist fantasies of gaining superpowers. And of course, we also craved dad's approval. But now we see that even though his powers were exactly what we dreamed, they were still dumb and useless. And it sort feels like a betrayal that dad made us go through so much pain and time and effort for something that turned out to be a bunch of lame overhyped poo poo.

Meanwhile, these outsiders are offering us real escape, have better powers and all sorts of cool stuff we never dreamed of, and they're reassuring us that we're just as special as we always knew we were. And holy poo poo, Jalitha's our mom?! Somehow deep down, we always knew it. It feels right to run to her when we're scared.

But most of all, I think everything's feeling very surreal for Og right now. He's in shock, and that makes him more suggestible and malleable than he'd be in more stable circumstances.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A friend!

2. and
Friends and old people are new and exciting. The king and other men are too intimidating for us to bother them much.

We're not dressed weird, everyone else is dressed weird.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We've believed in both for a while, and that isn't suddenly changing now.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I. "These are our people. Who is standing guard? Nobody is standing guard. Enkidu and Labaras must stay to protect their people." Grab the spear and stand back to back with Danal near the fire. Whisper, "Tell me what you see and what you hear."

Missed the update. New vote below.

HBar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 5, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C, A, C. The night is dark and full of wonders.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We're going up to look for the campfire or other clues, not necessarily to hide from anything. But this is the option that includes taking Danal up, and we have to stick together.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We're still 11 and this is some of the best fun we've ever had.

We're going to be more careful after that first experience, except I don't think that should mean always staying close to camp. We just need to remember to leave frequent marks along our path pointing the way back.

Old people are still new and intriguing to us. Plus, this guy has seen a lot and he's likely to speak more candidly than the king.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

What's the city like?

What do they have to eat there?

Are there other friendly beasts like the donkeys?

Do you know any magic?

Why did the king come to my village?

Have you been to a lot of places?

Why is everyone dressed weird?

E:
What was it like when you were young?

How do you know which way to go in the woods?

Do you have any children?

HBar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 11, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C, No

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

EM

Attempt the lightning ritual as best we know it.

HBar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 12, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Ok, I have a better idea. Let's turn the other cheek on this majestic beast.

D - There's no time to dilly dally!
M - Grab some meat from the fire and rush to the beast before Tudiya and his men can get there. Without making eye contact offer the great lizard some delicious venison.

A giant lizard is cooler than a dog. Let's make a new friend.

(Changing my vote to this, if it wasn't clear)

YES. Changing my vote to

Also, consider that the king may have used his powers to summon the lizard to test us or Danal.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

SMATTAS!MARNAL!HEEEELPMEEEEEEE

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

If El is listening, he already heard us. Now in our panic we scream out to Smattas and Marnal and then everyone else we can think of.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We've been building our willpower and self-control since age four, and this is the payoff. I hope.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Try to retain just enough sanity to scream out to Xuriel while we crap ourselves.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Smattas already did his part to save us. Now we need a sky giant who can fly. Like, say, Xuriel.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

EI. Ishamal is the coolest guy in the world right now and we can't disappoint him.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Asherah's hunger is the worst thing we've ever known.
Asherah is a monster.
Dad is a monster for serving him.
Enkidel is a hero now.
Heroes slay monsters.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Now we're a hero and a prophet too.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

F

Everyone needs to hear this. But speak loudly and look Tudiya straight in the eye, becuase mom might not be a reliable translator.

Edit:

Revised after the mini-update because it's clear mom won't talk about it.

HBar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 22, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

E. We've learned not to mess with gods we don't know.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. B.
Rush the chair to the palace, then guard Danal. Try to get him to go with us to the city walls, but protecting him remains the priority above everything else.

3. C.
Grab the flute just in case its song does anything special, but when that fails we need some javelins or anything we can throw from the walls.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. F
2. A
3. B
4. B
5. G. "The battle hasn't started, Danal. The minotaurs will close this distance before it does. There are so many that they could easily separate into groups and attack the city and the mighty men from different directions. This is the best spot to watch for that, and it's up to us alone to be the eyes of the city and the army. When the action starts, you can sit on my shoulders to see better.

Danal, do you know if the army uses any drums, signals, or other instruments to communicate in the roar of battle? When we see something important, we'll need a way to tell the mighty men right away.

I know you want to be a hero today. And you will be. Is it heroic to put your city in danger so you can seek out fun and personal glory? No, you're better than that. A true hero always puts his people first."

HBar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 10, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Let Danal have something to think about besides being there.

A little prayer doesn't hurt, even if Tudiya's got this.
C & E

After we're done praying, give Danal a running commentary like Tomn says. And make a mental note to compare our vision with others' later to figure out if ours is exceptionally good or Danal's is bad.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We know that, but Enkidel doesn't. He's gone his whole life assuming everyone sees the same as he does. And Zepathians are exceptional in a lot of ways, so maybe we'll be surprised.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"The minotaurs that are fleeing, flee because they fear your father. If you approach the battle, he will abandon it to go protect you. What happens then? The army and the city will be in grave danger as the minotaurs regroup. You will earn no glory, no trophies, but only the scorn of the survivors.

Even if he doesn't notice you, and don't think he won't, what then? Do you have any magic powers? Do you have the strength to wrestle a minotaur and rip off its leg? Or do you only wish you did? In time that wish may come true, but for now, you are a normal boy with normal weapons. You will be no more distinguished than a common foot soldier. As the son of a king, you must be bigger than that.

If you want to earn real praise and honor instead, there is still a way. By watching the entire battle from here, we can scout for ambushes and surprise attacks. Perhaps some of the minotaurs that run are only making a show of being afraid, so that we won't expect it when they circle around for the next strike. If that happens and we send out a warning, everyone will be grateful that you saved many lives. Not by taking the path of a soldier, but by taking the path of a king. By relying on your wisdom and putting your people first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Breaking his pride is a far sweeter victory than breaking his bones.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Should he refuse the challenge, Enkidel will ask him if he's scared of losing to a cannibal. If he still refuses Enkidel will result to insulting Lullaya's mother. "I saw your mother fight at the front line today. One of Ishamal's friends ran a spear through her and now they're roasting her over an open fire". Then moo loudly and laugh.
This too.