Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting A.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting H.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

the_steve posted:

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

Voting for this. G

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting C

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
A. Father
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
F. Alone along the beach

L
for the second vote.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting D.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

A

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

A

Has anyone read the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton? There's parts of this game that remind me of those books.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

B

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Did we seriously just impulse purchase something using all of our money? Without even attempting to haggle? He didn't even sound like he expected us to say yes to that insane sum.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

What did I ever do to any of you?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

A

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

B

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

M

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

A

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Voting to drop the Brear end

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Haven't voted for this one yet, voting for 1

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

B F

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

matureaudiencesonly posted:

I've only voted in the game once, but I've followed both this and the Madgod thread since day one. I hope it's ok to toss in my two cents as the world (potentially) ends.

This is one of only a couple of threads on SA that I look forward to reading, and in fact I prefer to read it like a book rather than an active participant- both because Diog has created such a rich, immersive world full of distinct, interesting characters, and because on average goons choose to do interesting things. From an outside perspective, although there seems to be a lot of 'camp' outgroup fighting, overall almost every voice seems to be represented in Enkidel as he's been shaped so far. For example, although 'team El' is often complained about in the thread, the character Enkidel has developed a heretical streak that includes proclaiming his daughter a man and allowing heretics to foster in Zepath. It's great to read Enkidel develop into a multifaceted 'person', although sometimes decisions seem rather scattershot or inconsistent- especially with the giant village round of voting, where some posters who didn't want to kill baby goblins way back when were voting to kill giants in their sleep.

Part of the reason why this world is so immersive is because it does have rules. I don't think that understanding these rules necessarily require encyclopedic memory of the whole game, especially because Diog so frequently reminds posters in responses after updates, which is another reason why the most recent round of votes has seemed jarring. I'm going to continue to abstain from voting but I did want to highlight this in consideration for a retcon- both because some posters felt like they didn't understand the rules of the fateful hungerdemon vote, and because according to the rules of the world there is no going back in time without dire consequences.

Whatever happens, I've really enjoyed keeping up with the thread and seeing the crazy directions Enkidel was pulled in. Diog is really awesome for providing such great entertainment for free.

FWIW though, when people are cranky when things don't go their way and take it out on each other/Diog, it's pretty annoying to read and does drag the thread down:

You've made your point.

This is pretty much exactly my experience as well.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

I've been following the thread from the start but I haven't voted in ages since I can't be bothered to get involved with the masses of posts - I prefer just reading the updates.

That said, I would really like a reload - mostly because there wasn't really any closure for Enkidel, and I really enjoyed the uncovering the mysteries of the world part of the story. Saying that we might find out more even if we play as a different character feels a bit unlikely, as the two options we now have don't really have the leverage to get information like Enkidel did simply by being what he was.

Being a Mighty Man will never be as special as being whatever the hell Enkidel was, and I can't see Ish creating something potentially dangerous/interesting as Enkidel in Ashael.

I get the points that Diog raised as problems with Enkidel, but to be honest, having NPCs be slightly less cryptic and providing more information on our powers is something you can change (I mean we got a mana meter and a text description of our state whenever we want, why not more info?). Same thing applies to being clearer with information relevant to a decision - these are things fully within your power to change Diog, regardless of which character we're playing.

What you can't change is the investment people feel in a character that they've been with for 3 years. That is the biggest issue for me, and it sounds like other people feel the same way.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

I think the other problem was that if we were as cautious as Ishmael wanted us to be, we probably would have just stayed home forever, which probably makes for a boring game.

I mean that's why we ended up going on our last adventure. If we listened to the warning, then what, another time skip of 20 years where we just run a town in the background?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

To be fair, at first we tried being relatively cautious by deciding to flee the temple, got pressured into changing our minds by Uriah, and then everything worked out fine.

I'm pretty sure that was the turning point actually. The lesson we took from that is that a last stand is a great option, backed up by the constant cultural hum of "that's what mighty men do". It clearly didn't work out in a lot of cases, but we never got back out of that mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007
Forum bum

Look at all these people that donít recognise a Loss.jpg