Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Can't wait for the rest of the re-cap, I've forgotten A LOT of stuff that happened towards the end of the Enkidel story because things got really hectic and somewhat crazy, especially with the reboot.

v--- No rush, just stating I'm excited for them, you've done a really good job and even the areas you didn't delve into really jogged my memory on stuff. This story is also awesome and I'm glad I will now have a chance to participate in it!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

the sandals wouldn't be there would they? Didn't enki eat them in the desert :)?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Task Manager posted:

That's true, looking back, the Roc was the first time we noticed it.

From what I remember there was some confusion as to why it increased at the time (Was it because we killed the Roc and took it's power? Was it because Paebel saw us kill the Roc? Was it because we used our powers to kill the Roc? etc.), and it wasn't until the Toad that some of that stuff started to clarify; since we got such a blow-by-blow account of our gauge increasing while in the process of beating up the Toad, it became more clear the act that was powering up was our men witnessing us do it, and not the act itself.

It's not so much our men seeing us do it, but rather them reveling in our awesome and magnificent godlike power as we bash a (somewhat) helpless toad into non-existance!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Part of being human is stumbling through life like an idiot while you figure poo poo out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

the_steve posted:

In real life, yeah. In this game, stumbling around like an idiot can destroy civilization or bring the literal wrath of God down on our heads because they don't want us figuring out too much on our own.

freewill.jpeg

MF_James
May 8, 2008

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Yeah, he seems to know a lot about Enkidel's abilities, far more than any well blooded people he's encountered. In fact, the well blooded just assume that Enkidel is like them. Ish knew really quick Enkidel wasn't just the average blooded man. Not to mention Ishamal having abilities that are not the standard blooded man powers. I mean, freezing time when Enkidel went to his house late that night after returning from the Great Toad hunt? That's Melachim level powers.

His knowledge of [???] could be simply due to him having personal experience.

I feel this explanation is simpler than Ishamal being some third type of super human being we haven't discovered yet.

I was going to say something similar. He has knowledge and also has the ability to actually affect our [???], this seems like a fairly clear indication that ish is also a bit more than just human/blooded.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm pretty sure that at the higher level, there is a Heroes of Might and Magic/Erfworld style hex-based strategy game which the capybaras are simulating. Beings of a certain level become aware of this game, and can participate. Ownership sense is one facet of that. It's one of many things I love about this setting.

Fare and Asherah are now allies.
Fare is moving stack 15 (Blooded Bnaimokt: 50; Bnaimokt: 4,000; minotaurs:15,000). Destination:
Fare has created stack 32 from stack 15: (Bnaimokt: 400)
Fare is moving stack 32. Destination: Kavodel.
Asherah is moving stack 43 (Sea spawn:10,000; Undead sea beast: 3,000; level 23 sea demon; level 40 sea demon). Destination: Tanaach.

Tanaach ownership is being contested.
Melachim ??? has manifested at Tanaach.
Melachim ??? has carried away level 23 sea demon.
Level 40 sea demon is using special ability: animate undead.
El temple (Tanaach) is using special ability: holy shield.
Level 40 sea demon is attacking holy shield (Tanaach).
Holy shield (Tanaach) has been destroyed.
Azzazel has moved to Tanaach.
Azzazel is using a special ability.
Orm is using a special ability.
Orm has moved to Tanaach.
Stack 43 (Asherah) has been destroyed.
Stack 56 (Tanaach) has been destroyed.
Tanaach has been destroyed.
Nephilim Enkidel has moved to grid -57,-45.
Melachim ??? is using a special ability at Tanaach.

Etc. I've left out a ton of steps, but I'm phone posting and getting tired of this.

I believe Diog said at some point that he drew at least some of the world from the game Dominions, which is a hex based strategy game. For example, Ur, is a playable nation in the game that is a human type nation. The Doom of Tenaach looks somewhat similar to a *god that a sea based nation can select (although there are other monsters is resembles as well, I mention the god due to the power/abilities that this thing apparently had). There are other similarities, although where they actually begin/end is tough to tell since Diog is only loosely pulling from the game, and the game doesn't have a story-line or anything like that, merely descriptions that god with nations/units that tell stories.

*each nation has a pretender god that is attempting to take over the world and ascend to being The One True God.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 1, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

So, in all honesty (this is likely an unpopular opinion but...) we should take the weapons and leave whomever behind that we have to. These weapons are going to be special, you know how we've run into monsters/demons/gods/whatever that are immune to our standard weaponry? I'm going to guess that there's not thousands of walking "GAME OVER" monsters that are 100% unkillable, but likely they are unkillable by standard weaponry, even blooded bronze, we need some magical/god infused stuff to hurt these things. If we can save a few people? Sure I guess let's take them, but let's not do so if it's going to kill us and everyone with us again. I feel this theory is sound based on lore and such that Diog is pulling from, often times heroes are given special weaponry because their enemies are impenetrable by normal means.

"stasis" is a poor (dumb) choice and as others have said, we'll never come back here, we need immediate gratification (so to speak). We need stuff that makes us stronger NOW, not stuff for 30 years from now; we might be dead by then, eriously fighting a war instead of sitting around until we get attacked again, or any number of other things that will prevent us from coming back to save people frozen in time.

*edit* Also, I see a few people arguing that a few weapons for us and our Balls will have no affect. The strongest of our people (Tudiya etc) can slaw monsters by the hundreds if not thousands in a battle on their own. One of a kind artifacts created in the forge of the gods will be stronger than any weapon that we could ever make, do you not think that we will slay dumb monsters by the thousands with them? What about when we fight their generals, or the thing that killed us in the most recent reboot? The weapons we could gain from this would likely give us power well beyond what we have and allow us to smite very terrifying demons.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 1, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waci posted:

Have you read the last couple of pages that's like... Probably the most popular option based on this pre-vote discussion.

I'm still in favour of taking the kids and teleporting, but if we take an artifact of any kind, bring as many Gebebians as we can AND NO MORE.

Well, I'm all for leaving these suckers to their fate, I guess I didn't actually say that, but that's what i was planning on typing out and then I changed it.

Leave these suckers to get eaten/whatever, we need to get our precious magic stones and make magic super weapons. Magic super weapons mean we can kill the things that would otherwise kill us.

I'm also somewhat basing my theory off of the Dominions game that Diog said he at least pull some stuff from, I'm unsure if he only pulled lore or also some gameplay type things, but certain monsters/whatever can only be hurt by magic weapons, they are immune to standard weaponry, but like I said, this also has a basis is standard mythology and fantasy stories.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 1, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waci posted:

But the point of not loving up this time is to NOT repeat that?

We didn't need the laurels to get here, we don't need them to get back. We can avoid danger the old-fashioned way, of not having a refugee camp following us and walking around things.

we uh didn't exactly make it here avoiding danger, in fact, we very well could have died, 7bird would not be happy if we ran into him again.

Also, now that we have killed a shitload of giants and blown up some stuff, we might have alerted other people, or in 10 days when the one giant comes back (10 days might be wrong but whatever), he will realize some poo poo went down and raise an alarm which, despite having a headstart, we don't know what kind of abilities they have or who they are friends with and could call on to capture us.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waci posted:

Yea it's not like us having used Snarls' and our senses and the benefit of a small, fast-moving group to avoid getting near most of the big dangerous things was at all emphasized before. We also wont accidentally wander into 7bird, seeing as we know where it lives and that we should not go there.

7bird is not the only thing out there, all the other things we do not know about are the issue, or hell, even the things we do know about, the loving 1000' long snake thing that the Balls ran from years ago.

Snarls can't protect us from everything, I'm pretty sure the mind warping, ethereal/invincible, human eating monster gave no fucks and hid perfectly. Will we run into that specific monster again? Probably not. Is it likely we can run into something else? Yes.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 1, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Waci posted:

So in your entirely separate and significantly different private version of the thread, how did we get here?

Go ahead and have us walk home, see what great things happen and amazing decisions the illustrious goon council comes to. What version of the thread did you read where we haven't walked ourselves into death twice (actually more but only twice did death result in game over)?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The horrorpocalypse is coming

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, I believe that you are placing too much stock in Tudiya caring about saving the peoples. I forget what he told us we should do, but I don't think it was "kill a town of giants and bring their slaves home". Not that he forbade it, but I don't think he will care which we do in the long run, provided we don't just straight up slaughter the people for no reason.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I can't wait to find out what ish/tudiya have to say about the Amok Thing. Ish is going to sigh and shake his head, I can feel it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, it's doubtful the entire source of amber for Giant Land is just the village of Gebek.

Seeing lots of people mention the Do Not Destroy rule and I doubt we're actually understanding it very well.

We have had trouble interpreting the phrase “Do Not Destroy” because we’re reading it with the normal everyday definition of destroy. Like, taking a rock and smashing it into dust. For the sake of keeping this straight let’s call that the “lowercase d” definition. This is the version that most average people in Ur understand it to mean as well.

Ishamal once told us this rule was originally meant for beings with great power. With that context, what the Melachim mean by the phrase is the “uppercase D” definition. Take that same rock and instead of using physical force to smash it, you use [???] to literally destroy the matter that makes up the rock. Unmaking it, essentially.

Do Not Destroy does not mean not to smash, slash, crush, or rip apart things. It means Do Not Use "Magic" In A Destructive Manner.

Do not will things into non-existance/pull them apart at the atomic/sub-atomic level.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ralith posted:

Changing from P to this, plus bring tree seeds home with us

I think it specifically means "don't level mountains" scale of things.

That is highly possible, basically don't drop nukes on poo poo etc. Either could be correct, or both at the same time, as I do feel that beings of immense power in this universe have the ability to tear things apart at a very base level.

Spiros posted:

It's not the cattle that would set him off, it would be that Urians did it.

Yeah this, I don't care that my toy/glass broke, but I care that someone came into my house and broke my poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

3: 2

jesus we do not need some insane tiered vote.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

1) R

2) J Explain to them the deal, it's a long way back, it's too dangerous for them, we just saved the next generation of them so that they will not be slave food for monsters. They will just essentially be slave labor for other humans!

Honestly, none of this is good, I feel like this is the best of the bad because I do not really like the stasis option.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

E. Plan Task Manager

Also, I feel we should GTFO pretty quickly considering we have zero clue if some poo poo is going to go down soonish.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 3, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I expect diog's heart is a hard black lump at this point, after years of bitching and whining from goons, it has to be.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

What can the giants gleam from reading their minds? Please explain the sequence of events that lead to the giants destroying Zepath. I'm not being ironic or anything, I just don't get it. We haven't spoken about Zepath, only El.

El (from the information we've gathered) does not seem to be universally accepted as God, he is simply a god (and that's somewhat up for debate since speaking with Amok, since El is merely a word for god in the old language), and as such is only worshipped (from what we know so far) in Ur. These giants worship Fake Amok as god and other species we've run into worship Ashera and others.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

2. A,

3. F

MF_James
May 8, 2008

the_steve posted:

Maybe we should do the dance of friendship?

Perform the Dance of Friendship for Jael

Aka put Larry Bird on our head and run at him like an idiot... wait, wrong game.

*edit* I voted to do that, and yes, I realized how dumb it was at the time too :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thinking back to meeting Amok: He said fighting whatever was at Mt. Har would just hasten his end as a mindless hunger demon. That seems to imply that his [???] is not being restored over time. So...Why? Why is Enkidel's well filling? Is there a time when his well will stop filling?

I would say this isn't necessarily true, perhaps what he means is, what is at Mt. Har is extremely strong and fighting it would drain his well completely and cause him to go hungerdemon, even if he does win at that point he's still a mindless hungering immortal zombie thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah there was no food/water/breathable air, so he had to create it all, which meant using the well and not replenishing it ever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

On the other hand, a decent amount of the donut fear Tudyia and his new House of Zepath. They'd not strike against him, but if they heard Zepath (or a Zepathian) was aiding Tadmor? They'd probably lend aid to Tadmor's enemies, or even join the fight themselves. Which, of course, we don't want to happen.

I agree.

I would think if we want to reach out to any other nations/city-states or whatever you call them, we should consult with Tudiya. Yes, I know goons hate yielding to authority and blah blah we're a punk rock kid, dad you can't tell me I have to be home at 10pm, I'm going to stay out late, drink and smoke pot if I want. Tudiya is our Father and our King, let's not potentially drag him into a war because we've got teenage angst and like to rebel against authority.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Cornuto posted:

We've had long time skips before and they weren't that enjoyable and really took away any attachment we as players had to most of the NPCs in our life. I'd be very against bringing them back.

Time skips suck for the normies in our life (non-blooded) because they get old etc, but they're somewhat necessary if we want to meaningfully advance our skills without something like: Woke up Monday morning, held breath for 12 hours, ate 500lbs of food, did not poop, went to bed, woke up Tuesday, held breath for 13 hours, ate 450lbs of food, ad nausium

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, if this was a CYOA book we could claim "I STILL HAD MY FINGER ON THE PAGE, I DIDN'T PICK THAT YET"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Arkanomen posted:

On our prep side, Kavodel has something most cities do not. Kavodel is a mining town. Why waste time building a somewhat meaningless barrier when you can reinforce dug holes and tunnels. We should start using removed material to build a fortification around a cliff side mine and start to build tunnels and safe points so any invading army has to fight past a fortified wall and then proceed into savagely tight and defended tunnels. Tunnels we fill with the stored grain and materials we have been saving for times of hardship.

What about when the bnaimokt come through the ground right into our tunnels? They seem fully capable of ?magically? creating tunnels that they can then march across land from, what if they can do that directly into our mine tunnels?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

hollylolly posted:

I missed the vote but I'm glad we chose to learn Tudiya's secret. It's great that we're in the circle of trust with him, and I love Ish telling him all the stuff we're not allowed to say anything about. :D

I think that Ish also avoided the hugely contentious issues (7bird and actually naming Amok) because those could actually bring fire and brimstone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I just noticed something in diog's post..

quote:

"You have seen the farms. Once as a boy and now a man. You are ready. He pauses and then says

So was our life by the sea actually a person farm like what we saw in giant land? Blood magic is apparently all over, it seems that demons/other races are down with blood magic and therefore farm people. The smaller bnaimokt invasion forces that stole people, was that to start farms up?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Athar was definitely a farm. I think that was explicitly stated at some point. I'm not sure exactly what the Bnaimokt are doing with the people though.

I guess I missed the whole Athar was a farm thing blehh, my "penance" will be reading all of diog's posts again, if it happens another time, I will be forced to read everyone else's posts.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Dear god no. Do you think any of us remember every last detail accurately? I'm sure even Diog has a reference binder or 12.

jokes.txt :)

When I first joined enkindel game at the very end (the last death, sorry), I read every diog post, it was an interesting 3 days, I got very little sleep, did not crash car going to/from work, and read as much as possible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

TheCog posted:

If your people leave this land and you leave it as well, you will no longer own this land. You have no idea how you know this, but you do, nor do you know why or if it matters. The thought of abandoning Kavodel is deeply troubling. The realization causes a lurch in your stomach. This is something more substantial than simply not wanting to have it ransacked by monsters. It would be a bad thing to both have your people leave and also leave it yourself.

Found it!

I know we've asked people about ownership, I forget if we got an answer or "not till you're older".

I agree with FoxTerrier, we should ask him about this. Obviously we SHOULD abandon and evacuate if a big attack comes because we can't defend the town and should haulass to zepath, but I'd like to know a bit more about the feeling of dread we get at the thought of abandonement. Perhaps we should ask BOTH Tudiya and Ish.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

TheCog posted:

We did! It's in this post

Well, at this point Ish said we weren't ready, perhaps we are more ready now? I'd like to ask Ishamal about "owned" lands, also perhaps off to the side, because I don't know but does Tudiya know about owned lands and such?

*edit*

v---- yeah perhaps we should ask Ish if Tudiya can sense that like we can, I'd also like to know where "blooded" powers end and our "???" mystery melachim powers begin, it will be useful when talking to Tudiya/others and so we learn more about ourselves.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 18, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe we could use our town's mining expertise to make basements? Fallout shelters? We should be able to make underground spaces that won't be easily collapsed. Several separate shelters, so even if one is breached only a portion of the population is exposed. Heck, in the most dire circumstances mighty dudes could deliberately collapse buildings over the entrances to the shelters, to make it impossible for any incursion to quickly abduct those within. When the battle is over our Mighty dudes can easily dig them out. If we lose the battle, the women and children within are probably better off dying in a hole than being taken by demons.

Now this is an idea, build shelters with entrances every X amount of streets or something, and people from X area around shelter go there if they are not Fighting MEN

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Esper posted:

Underground bunkers are a bad idea. A storm is coming, remember? No use in going underground (inherently dangerous) just to get flooded out when the ocean marches upon us. If anything we ought to start building an Ark, though our cultural phobia of water / boat building may make that a little bit difficult.

I think STORM doesn't LITERALLY mean a hurricane type storm, it means There's A Coming Storm aka poo poo is going to get loving crazy and we're going to have to fight hordes of enemies, so be ready for fields to be burned, aka save up food/water in defensible locations, train your men, patrol your country-side and be ready.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Do you feel any differently now about us fortifying Kavodel, especially since the population has grown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

What other demons/races are there that are hostile to us?

What other demons/races are there that are not hostile to us, and may even help us?