Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines in IRC posted:

All it wants is a hug

Maybe we should just go hug it.

1. I
2. El!
3. B
4. A
Run Snarls!

Don't gawk! It's big and it will eat us. That's all the information we need.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

All of you who are voting to actually confront this thing:

That idea is insane and completely out of the realm of what we are capable of doing.

I vote to run towards the scrubland as fast as possible.

Also make sure that Snarls is still keeping pace in the forest as we're running.

Voting against making any pledges right now. We have no idea who we really are yet or what is truly going on in the world...this could bind us in ways that might prove to be very problematic later.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A Sticking with my original plan of running as fast as possible.

A sacrifice now is worthless because it's one made in desperation, not victory, and I doubt it is worth as much.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Seriously guys, this vote might be important in determining whether we remain glued to the spot, frozen in terror, or bolt to safety.

Changed to 10

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The plan is worse than assuming this thing might stop chasing us past the forest? Or that we can outrun it?

We probably shouldn't yell at it because then it can pinpoint where we are more easily by sound. At least at the moment it is blindly lobbing trees in our general direction.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dyzzy posted:

Pure speculation but it would be pretty terrifying if this thing just started using trees as handholds (slimeholds?) to pull itself at us. Given how it seems to toss trees with little effort it would probably go pretty fast...

I think that would be akin to a human trying to pull themselves across a field using blades of grass. It just wouldn't support the creature's mass.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jng2058 posted:

2. O[/b] Time to be smarter. We run perpendicular to our current course such that the monster and thrown trees are aiming in the wrong direction!

<----- Me & Snarls

Treeline -------------------
.............^
.............|
.............|
....Horrible Monster

Beach------------------------

3. U Slow to Snarl's maximum speed.

Voting this. Except I would like to name our settlement Hero's Reach perhaps if we bother to name the place, it officially becomes a settlement under divine protection.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 21, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

F with modifications.

Smash the jackal skull and pearls on a consecrated rock.

"El, I offer you my passage to manhood to save this innocent life that I have so foolishly endangered!. Please lend me your aid to smite this abomination that encroaches on your land! EL HA MELECH!"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Okay guys we're calling this thing Eyescream now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. F Please heal my friend and return him home. He is suffering because of my mistakes and deserves to rest. I must complete the journey on foot, because this is my trial.
2. "What makes you believe that we are from Zepath? Do you know who I am?"
3. O

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Changing my vote to politely decline the drink and all offers of assistance from Azz. We'll do the manly thing and hoof it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Voting to head to the forest. I doubt we'll be able to pay Az's price in order to help Snarls.

Okay screw it. Tell Azz we need a hand to save an innocent friend and will pay his price!

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 24, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I don't recall Jesus traveling through the desert with a sapient dog when Satan tempted him.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"I'm Sorry!" Alternatively, "Hakuna Matata."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. A. Pray to El and give thanks before heading home.
2. C
3.F
4.I

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 25, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wentley posted:

And then give it and the pearls to Mom so she doesn't have to be a servant if she doesn't want to.

She doesn't have to be; she's a free woman. She's staying for our sake.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. You place on the altar...(Pick as many as you want)

B. Pearls, but not all of them. How many?
All but one to save for mother.

2. Do you tell them about Azzazel?

P. I mention divide aid but I do not say if there was a Melachim
Say a melachim was sent by El to aid me in my journeey, elaborate in our story that it was by El's help alone that we were able to beat immense odds.

3. No.
Other than to say divine aid was provided.

4. Alright, what about Zepa's monument?
T. I do not tell them about it.
Tell them we have carved our name upon the annals of history alongside all the great men of Zepath.
This is indirect but gets the point across.

In the five years you have spent in Zepath, you have spent time with many people, among them, Ishamal and Tudiya. Ishamal is widely regarded as the best story teller in the city and you've learned a thing or two about how to tell a pleasing tale.

5. How accurate do you keep your story?

C. I tell them an accurate version, as best I can and with all of the story telling skills I learned from Ishamal and Tudiya, try to make it exciting and crowd pleasing!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. "You have always been my brother!" Then give him a hug.
2.Tell Tudiya that we will come to the feast shortly but we must first tend to our mother.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

M.

"Father,I know that the world is a vast place with many mysteries. How is a man to know what his place is in the world when he knows so little of it? It is for this reason that I would like to see the world...so that I might gain wisdom and become strong... so that I might discover what plans El has in store for me."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Aww man. I really wish I hadn't skipped out on voting not to tell. What's the worst that could happen, ask goons as Snarls has his neck snapped. We might as well comply because any other option might result in something even worse happening. B.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

You think at Snarls that he should approach Tudiya, which he does.

Smells like Pack.

You asked Snarls to tell you how people smell. Apparently Tudiya, whose home you live in and whom Snarls has known all his life "smells like pack".

His name is "Biggest-in-the-Pack-who-fights-for-the-Pack-and-makes-sure-the-Pack-does-not-fight-itself". He is the Alpha Male, even if you are the Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick , which is a VASTLY more important role in the Pack, if less powerful role than Alpha Male. You have the most important role in fact, according to Snarls. The Master-Tummy-Scratcher is the center of the cosmos and it is sad and lonely and dark when he goes away and fantastically indescribably amazing when he comes back. Also when he wakes up in the morning is pretty swell and the correct way to express this daily exuberant celebration when he wakes up is to groom his face with the tongue. With lots of slobber to show we really mean it!

Snarls walks over to Tudiya, who places his immense hands atop Snarls head and closes his eyes for a moment. Snarl closes his eyes as well. After a moment, both of them open their eyes and Snarls walks off. You have the vaguest hint of a suggestion that you should go back to the older-but-still-fertile-female-who-gives-the-tasty-meat-bits's den and tell the Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick if the older-but-still-fertile-female-who-gives-the-tasty-meat-bits wakes up. She is sick but healing and we have to watch her and keep her safe just like the Master-Belly-Scratcher wanted, a solemn and sacred obligation of the highest order! And we will keep her safe by crawling under the blankets and keeping her warm! She smells "like pack".

"That is not a dog" Tudiya says, his sudden speech startling you slightly from whatever it was you were just concentrating on "well it is, but it is more. In the time of the sons of Labaras, some made or changed beasts as it suited them. To be larger, stronger, swifter. Some were made to live longer. Some were made more intelligent. Some could speak. Men can no longer do such things to animals and the blood of the offspring of such beasts has run thin. You saw the names of some of the line of such beasts on Zepa's monument and perhaps know their heroic tales. There are few left today, for their blood has run thin. The last one I know of to be blooded in Zepath was a dog of great size my great grandfather owned, the size of a bear, it died when I was a young child. Barkof, friendly, loyal and as dumb as a brick. It seems some of the blood of times long past has found it's way into your dog. If he shows any odd signs, let me know at once."

You can ask Tudiya questions if you like. Statements back to him will need a mini vote. Tonight we will update with a visit to Naomi, which won the last vote.

1. Why are you going to go see Naomi?
A. Just to say hi.
B. To show off a bit about my glorious conquest and rise in stature, in a way meant to impress.
C. To show off a bit about my glorious conquest and rise in stature, but not to impress.
D. To find out if she still cares for me, but I do not outright ask.
E. To find out if she still cares for me, I do outright ask.
F. To apologize for rejecting her.
G. Something else. Fill in.

There is no such thing as courting. Marriages are arranged. Most marriages occur between 16 and 19 or so. You are 16, Naomi is 19.

2. Before you go to see her, right now,A if she revealed she still loved you, how would you feel?
H. Happy!
I. Happy and I want to get married
J. Happy, but I do not want to get married for a while yet.
K. I do not know how I would feel.
L. I don't care.
M. Something else. Fill in.

3. And if you found out she no longer loves you?
N. Happy.
O. Sad.
P. Angry.
Q. Depressed.
R. I don't know how I would feel.
S. Something else. Fill in.

4. You have seen Naomi of course, you live in the same house, but spoken little with her since you rejected her. Do you bring a gift?
T. No.
S. Yes. What? Fill in. You own little but you have at least one rather one wealthy friend in Ishamal who would likely give you what you wish within reason if you asked. As Tudiya's son you also now have access to his households wealth, within reason.

5. How are you going to go see her?
U. I just go talk to her wherever she is.
V. I have Danal take her to our favorite spot by the river without saying why and surprise her.
W. Something else. Fill in.

AJNTU
Thank Tudiya for all that he has done for us. We owe our life in Zepath to him after all.
Also ask Snarls if he is aware of any other differences between him and other dogs besides being smart and telepathic. Tell him he is a good dog.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jazzyhattrick posted:

Names as we meet people. Let's keep that story moving.

Seconded.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Voting against L just in case it actually has a chance of winning. Wouldn't you all feel stupid if we jokingly voted to murder our future wife?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. H. It is an honor to be a servant of El. This is a privilege more than a duty.
2. J

Voting to talk to Pabel about hunting advice.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So here's my plan:

First, we tell Snarls that we want to try to smell with his nose. We need him to know what we're doing so that he won't be scared and go along with it if we accidentally “take control” of him in the process (or vice versa!). The next thing we should do is go somewhere with a lot of smells (e.g. the kitchen or a field) where we'll definitely know if it's working.

I'm going to assume that it will probably work better, at least the first time, if we make physical contact with Snarls in the same way that Tudiya did when he was examining Snarls.

The next part is rather hard to describe since we don't know how to do this properly, but we should do our best to mentally connect with Snarls using our thoughts as we do when we talk back and forth with our mind. The difference here is that we want to focus very carefully on feeling what Snarls feels: his breathing, his heartbeat, his tail wagging back and forth, and the excitement of being in the place-where-the-meat-falls-when-you-make-the-face.

Hopefully, with any luck, when we do this we'll be able to sense what Snarls is physically sensing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

Fun fact!

Your nose is filled with an entire universe of intense smells but it is MUCH MUCH too quiet. You may as well have your hands... er make the paws clamped over your ears because you cannot hear the background noises which were always there. Perhaps you did not truly internalize it till this moment and while you cannot listen to a whisper across the city, during the day you always hear a hustle and bustle of various noises in the city and even in the dead of night hear far and distant insects. You always have and now you do not.

Our hearing is better than a dog's. That is definitely superhuman.

Tell Snarls with our mind to relax and put his paw on the other dog's head. We will fix what has happened.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wherever Tomn is right now, I hope he's already putting together a script for a sitcom spinoff based upon this very moment in our life.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

N. "Melachim! I have strayed down a path I had not meant to take and am now lost. Please guide me back to myself. My friend is scared and desperately needs my guidance right now."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if we can weaponize this ability somehow. Perhaps one day we'll be able to take over the bodies of powerful beasts and manipulate them to do our bidding...

I do like Sogol's interpretation of the wall of trees. If calling for help fails, then we should call out to Snarls and push our way through the trees if possible to get back inside our own mind.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FoxTerrier posted:

Bring the flute to your lips and concentrate on becoming one with your own body. Feel your body return to itself, feel Snarls return to himself, feel everything become as it was and as the music flows through you.

Going with this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Can't we experiment with anything without almost killing ourselves or someone else? Going with SerSpook's plan. We can fix this because we are clearly extremely powerful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

F

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe we just shouldn't try to explore our abilities for another decade or so guys. It's possible that we'll become Mighty at some point and this won't be as harmful anymore.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

10 years of not putting anyone in mortal peril with our exceptional curiosity/stupidity? That's fine by me.

C, except ask him to define more precisely the things we should not do, simply because we have no idea what those naturalistic causality-violating things might be.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ralith posted:

L. Laugh our rear end off. This has all been very overwhelming but it looks like everything's safe and it's now glaringly obvious that we have overt divine protection, and after all this stress there's nothing funnier in the world than that very divinity acting like children. It reminds us of Danal!

Followed after a little while by J. We're confident that neither of them will risk hurting us, so if we're between them they'll have to stop. Then sternly instruct them to get with the answers.

Also make it clear that we will use whatever abilities we have if required by a life or death situation. That extends to protecting the lives of those we're close to.

This.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

F, and if all else fails, forcefully will them apart with our mind.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Volmarias posted:

Is this a reference to the titular clash of the heavens?

There seems to be a pattern of storms emerging when divinities clash. We've seen this before when Ishamal expelled Asherah's influence from us, and now it's happening between Jorah and Azz. The real question is whether or not this is THE storm we were warned about in a vision as a child or if there is another still to come.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theglavwen posted:

Tell me more, I'm intrigued by this Asherah you speak of. Do you perhaps have any informative literature or pamphlets? Is there a Word to hear?

The word is Hunger, my child!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Vavrek posted:

C: Explain what we were trying to do, and why (that Snarls seems to be reading out mind, that swapping was unintentional). Ask if Ishamal knows any sort of deep meditation methods that would allow us to access the border world of Xen beach we see in our concussion-visions.

I think it's pretty clear that we just shouldn't bother with this right now. Everyone and their uncle is saying that we're just too young for this right now, and I think they're worth trusting. Perhaps the reasons will become more clear in the near future, but for now I think it's a better idea to just go on adventures with Aaron and leave the other planes of existence be. A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. D
2. I
3.L
4.P, Snarls was able to warn me many times during my trial when danger was approaching with his barks and body language.
5. Y. Ask Snarls to stay put, but sniff out the best direction for us to approach the herd by. Ask him if he sees/smells any of the deer that look particularly weak and/or careless. Then T.