Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
So after reading all that I feel that goons are in fact maliciously poor decision makers.

I am not at all sure at the balance between exploring and finding awesome things and making Kavodel the best asset to Ur it can be.

I'm looking forward to voting to put red cedar to monster face, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

So Enkidel only imagined having a roc named Larry Bird? I thought we had suddenly shifted into the retcon - Enkidel is in Judah's body!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Clearly the message from the goat sacrificing shepherd was ultimately from Azzazel. I think I would have asked him about how he treated his goats, if anything weird happened with them.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

QA

My long term plan would be to follow Amok, since calamity would apparently follow us home, and I feel inclined to believe it. I think the loss of a northernmost city would in fact cause any empire to look widely to the north. So let's make tracks east, whether we decide to make our tracks look like we're [strikeout]Amok or his hypothetical buddies, or pretend we're[/strikeout] Bnaimokt. [strikeout]Bonus points if we can make them think the Bnaimokt woke Amok up.[/strikeout]

I would also like to hear more about Fred and if he did or did not turn into a monster. :ohdear:

edit: actually let's let Amokland be obscure, they could do bad things with invincible hunger demons even they had to spend some giants or seconds to get them somewhere useful.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 2, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Actually how about this, does our benefactor have an opinion on how effective the teleport will be at preventing notice to Ur? Will the stealthiness of the teleport stem from it never being noticed at all, or from a certain to succeed misdirection? Likely to attract notice, most likely.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I missed it the first time, but yes we can use our miracle to get ahold of Amok, who I think is our best bet. How mad do we think he'd be about someone bogarting his name to make a monster empire?

Further: do the whispers have any opinions on the character of Amok? Not likely they haven't given us much intel so far. :argh:

vorebane fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

UppaTree posted:

Fine..

Changing my vote from R F to Q A

Stasis it is then. We'll bust 'em back out after we resolve this poo poo with Asherah's chains weakening, if we can.

Q is 'send their souls with the other souls,' not stasis.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

One possible downside with Plan Furious Half-Angel: if his well empties, the world is quite possibly hosed.

Yah that might be the best argument against it. In an ideal world where everything goes right, we introduce him to Ish who works his not quite as doomed to become a hunger demon magic.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

It's probably been covered already but we will have time to clean up and destroy evidence if we choose some form of teleportation?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

It may have been missed, so, it's probably been covered already but we will have time to clean up and destroy evidence if we choose some form of teleportation?

Also,

FoxTerrier posted:

Can we make a device that makes people read Diogs posts all the way through?

I would vote for this.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Stasis could also mean going to Amok and asking him to bring these people to Ur, which would likely be a trivial use of his power, with the added bonus of not putting urgency on Amok from us sending a psychic message or what have you.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Can we perform a second sacrifice of the abandoned loot?

I would be ok with this if only for the destroying evidence aspect of it. But I mean at this point we've already decided we can't take it with us, does it still count as ours for a sacrifice?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe the Gebebs can sac it and get some divine favor to save their souls because we sure as hell aren't.

That would work, but I would be ok with committing to getting something to help them. Not that it would be powerful enough for stasis or teleport, there won't be thousands of freed souls helping out for this one.

As far as what to do with the remaining villagers, there's not really any good options. Sending them into the wilds will certainly get them eaten, with the decent probability that someone will come back to the village and spill the beans. Leaving them here is almost certain to get the Amalakites the chance to find out about Ur. Mass suicide on their part is horrific for us to encourage, but it minimizes the suffering of those villagers, while protecting the secret of Ur. The trick will be convincing the balls to round up any villager who decides to bolt, which would also be pretty horrific.

The best way to spin is in my opinion is to lay out the fates that are possible for them. Make clear that suicide is frowned upon by El but that it does not interfere with one's entrance into the afterlife. Do NOT expound further. Then you've got the further horrific act of convincing them to figure out what manner of suicide is best for them. We should be able to do a painless sudden poison, given we've got grandmaster wilderness survivalists, right?

And all because you dicks decided a guy sacrificing his last goat, the last of his flock, would not attract the notice of Azzazel. I'm quite certain that's who sent the guy, though I haven't gone back to that actual part of the thread to see if you asked questions trying to determine that or what, but hey.

While we're at it, we don't actually know that none of the wild monsters about can't eat souls so it's entirely possible sending them into the wilds is dooming them to a demon's belly.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Look, we came down here because Uriah called us chicken again, like at the temple. Being seen as a Big Hero was way more important than anything else.

This does not make me feel better about the overall competence of Enkidel's brain.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

So, I said it was horrific, it is, and further we have had supernatural advice telling us not to destroy and to be merciful, but I'm voting M and hopefully all the adults have kids they'd prefer to be safe. I don't think the kids are going to have to keep their former lives secret, it's already believed the world outside of Ur is full of people farms.

I think it's the option that destroys the least and is most merciful.

Regardless I want to sacrifice what we can't take, figure out what '3 days north, 2 rows' meant, destroy every scrap of evidence we can, and get out of here before the giant comes back.

Diog is right in that the next 3 oldest kids should get taken along.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Vomitoriums were in fact the entrance hallways to roman buildings like the Colosseum. Not a place where you vomit. But I mean you can invent a place to vomit, I suggest you call it the ground.

Otherwise most of these are protips.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

All of the giants in the village are accounted for, all of them are dead except the one guy who is off trading in the next town/city. There aren't any left to be on patrol south of here unless they are from another town and then what the hell are they doing up here anyway?

I seem to remember someone posting about a giant getting away during the battle, beyond the gold mesh giant coming back from Marduk, couldn't he be a problem?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Diogines posted:

You found him among the Gebebans after the battle, on guard duty.

You killed him.

Oh how nice, one less loose end.

As far as how long to stick around, I think long enough to burn down everything, gather food for a bittersweet goodbye feast, and to make a trail of some kind to the east.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Mithross posted:

We are just going to have to promise not to show them off.

And mean it.

And then actually follow through.

(Oh El is Ish going to be pissed about the wings....)

Ish and the Melachim are lesser beings, they're not going to notice the wings. :colbert:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ach, I missed it that'll teach me to sleep in. I think I would have split the difference, that I cannot see but that it is an utterly slim chance needing constant intervention on the part of El. There are lots of monsters out there, basically even the least of which no villager could escape or defeat, with senses far greater than even any among the balls save Snarls. I'd want to share a bit of the Doom of Taanach, to say that El does intervene, but people die before that intervention happens. That's a fair bit depressing but I'd rather be honest about their chances to them than not. If they have a clear idea of how doomed they are maybe El is more likely or able to intervene?

edit:So for posterity D with caveats

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

F

I + Some kind of speech to David. Umm I guess since I asked for it I'll try my hand at it:

"David, your compassionate nature makes me proud to call you my son. I know you would gladly lay down your life if it would but earn these poor people a tiny chance to reach the safety of Ur. But, I ask you to think back to the event that brought us together. At Ibleam we were unable to rescue the entire city, we could only focus on saving the most vulnerable of it's citizens. We rescued a number of children that terrible day. You were one of them. Being taken from your home in such a way is an experience that places you in a unique position to understand the path ahead for these young ones.
I know you want to serve El in the best way you can. Consider this then: there are a number of different arenas in which one can fight for El. Sometimes that means fighting demons when they arrive on your doorstep, sometimes it means marching off into the wilderness to challenge the demons on their home turf. And again, at other times it means standing as an example of El's desire to see his favored creations treat each other better. These children look different from most in Kavodel or Zepath. That alone will convince some people that they are cannibals. When I arrived in Zepath, my father named me after Enkidu in an attempt to shield me from that same suspicion. That wasn't enough. It took a number of kind people, including Tudiya and Danal, to stand between me and the ignorant. These children will need much of the same aid when we get back. When we arrived here, you were one of the first to recognize these people's humanity. The children will need your compassion for a long time after we reach home. Please, come back with us and put your compassionate nature to work helping us aid these children."

The basic idea is to reference Ibleam and our efforts to save the children there, including him. Mention that we will need his compassion when we get back to Kavodel/Zepath, because these children are going to need all the help they can get to settle in and learn our ways. Not everyone is going to be as understanding of them as he has been. A lot of people will see their dark skin and call them cannibals.

Anybody that wants to edit it or can do better: Go for it!

+1 to this, and it's not in the vote, but can we sacrifice everything we don't take, asking specifically for protection to be given to the villagers we're leaving behind?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Diogines posted:

You certainly could.

Given the fact that this place has probably been here for hundreds or thousands of years, do you think it likely El is going to bring the smiting, now?

I'm not asking for smiting, we can be the ones to dispense that. Some kind of edge or stealthiness for everyone would be cool though. Kinda wishing the portable stealth tent won now!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Outrail posted:

Ok that's horrible but I hope it happens.

And in the end, isn't that really what Ur's all about?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

R I am so sure this is a bad idea, but I want to try this recklessness thing you guys have been doing, see how it feels.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Oh god if it chokes us to death we're not going to get another do over are we?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Yknow what it's fine it's probably just a necklace of sex change we can deal with that.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ah hell I'm convinced Don't put the necklace on

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

F+tracing the tools on the back of the scrolls.

I would like my F vote to be amended to include this. Hopefully Amok doesn't mind graffiti!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

SKY COQ posted:

Serious vote: Thank Jael for this. He's really doing us a service, even if all he can do is ask the question. This is going to be the defining question of our life.

+1 to this hopefully he will still ask even after harsh interrogation, because harsh interrogation is definitely what he got.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I would say wait until you have a full update together.

One question I would want to ask before I vote is if this secret or secrets is going to somehow make us more noticeable to monsters and other things what might not like us.

edit: that'll teach me to make dinner while Diog is updating.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 17, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Would you consider allowing us to send people to train Zepathans in the use of the bow? Since our enemies clearly intend to commit genocide or return us to slavery, I think it makes sense to allow the common people a method to defend themselves from range.

+1 to this

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1. D Riverwheel! Naming it for someone seems dumb to me.
2. I

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

G

I'm confident Tudiya will see the benefit in a metal that does not need to be in an alloy to be effective. Getting our new methods to the dedicated blooded smiths is our best bet for blooded iron as well I think.

And give the secret of charcoal to Lef

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Outrail posted:

Lots of valid points, none of which give a valid reason not to teach Snarls how to defend himself.

Teaching self defence =/= weaponizing.

We live in a dangerous world and go seeking danger regularly, refusing to learn how to defend yourself because you can usually avoid danger is just shortsighted.

Just... Learn how to fight, and then go back to avoiding confrontation knowing if you need it it's there. Look at Gareb, he can kick rear end if needed but goes out of his way to avoid violence.

I agree with this. Snarls might not be able to participate in a standard fight, but he could still guard the flank on our formation, or be fast enough to chase down someone we want to interrogate while we deal with the main problem. Let's just hope he's up for learning new tricks.

I am also in support of iron tools for the masses and blooded cookware.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

the_steve posted:

Snarls guards our flank by telling us we're about to get flanked before they get a chance to do it to us.

And he's literally the size of a bear. You don't need combat training to chase someone down and tackle them from behind and hold them down. And if they're strong enough to get out from underneath a bear while face down in the dirt, then they'd be too strong for Snarls to fight even if he did know how.

He defends himself just fine as is. Like I said, he has a sound grasp of risk assessment, he knows what he can handle and what he can't.

Snarls is a lover. Snarls is a scout. Snarls is morale support. Snarls is a tracker. Snarls is an early detection system.
He is not a fighter. He does not need to learn to fight. He does not want to learn to fight. He does not want to fight. He does not need armor. He does not need weapons. He does not need to be mutated in any way to gain weaponlike abilities.

I'm fine with him not being armoured, he's better off being a nimble bear sized dog. But when some Bnaimokt lay a trap that's just successful enough to isolate Snarls with enough soldiers to put him in danger, on account of they want to put down our best friend, wife, and prized portable radar station, I want him to know how to fight defensively so he has a chance to survive.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

the_steve posted:

In a situation like that, the best thing Snarls could do would be to run, or otherwise get out of that situation. Hell, WE would be hard pressed to fight out way out of a Norc ambush singlehandedly, and we ARE a heavily armored and highly-trained combat expert.

I think it's entirely possible for such an ambush to happen in an area where Snarls doesn't have that option. I don't think there's much of an opportunity cost here. Training him to fight doesn't mean he will, it doesn't mean he's not a lover, (a lover that's our wife how did that even happen) but if it's needed, then he has a chance. Hell he can spar with the kids, get em all chuffed up for monster hunting.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

Sorry, this is not directed at you, but how does training a dog to fight work? They know how to kill by instinct, what kind of tactics can you teach them?

I honestly don't know, I assume it would largely be about what to expect is possible from likely opponents. Dogs like Snarls are a previously extant thing though, so maybe there's some kind of already established fighting tradition we can tap? Knowing weak points like the throat or the heel could help, recognizing when it's safer to be aggressive while there's an opportunity before reinforcements hit and make things more dangerous would be a trickier skill. Someone made Barkoff's dog armour and they were probably expecting it to be used at any rate.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

While we're at it let's see about tutoring Snarls in Trauma Surgery.

Probably more useful than combat training. Can you picture it?

"Calm down young Zepathan, don't worry about that Blooded Bronze spear jammed in your chest! I'm Snarls Barkley, MD."

I support Snarls Barkley, MD.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1 I am Sojenus, and this is just a hallucination, but I'm gonna check out this here skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Unguided posted:

I suggest we make an offering to El of charcoal and iron, consecrate our newfound technology.

Gonna agree with this and also F5ing five times a second until update.