Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
and

H, where Enkidel bows his head and prays as Tudiya instructed him to, to El, as per A, but where right after praying, he tosses the shark tooth into the fire as a clear renunciation of Asherah.

By their fruits you shall know them. El is a good god, a kind god; he sent a king to rescue Enkidel and Jalitha, who have only been treated with kindness by their rescuers. Asherah's servant beat Enkidel and Jalitha and no others. Asherah's people forbade their children from playing with Enkidel, while Danal is Eknidel's first true friend. El's angels forbid cannibalism, while Asherah's servants engage in it. Repeatedly. With everyone.

One day they would have eaten Jalitha, who Enkidel loves very much. One day, they would have eaten Enkidel!

While Asherah's servant insisted that Asherah would bring ruin to the village for not paying homage, Jalitha's never said anything like that about El. And the king said she had told Enkidel everything properly.

Once the shark tooth, the symbol of Asherah, has been thrown into the fire, follow option I, as it is only natural for Enkidel to embrace him mother and tell her how much he loves her.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Genpei Turtle posted:

Another vote for this. All you traitors wanting to abandon Asherah entirely should have picked the Baitel start to begin with. :colbert:

Enkidel is not an unquestioningly loyal animal. He can understand that Asherah at least tacitly accepts cannibalism. That's a bad thing. He can understand his mother (his real mother, not Nami, Shushem's wife) stressed how bad cannibalism is. And he knows that these followers of El apparently believe that she taught him correctly.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

OPTION A. Racing with excitement! You are going to be a hero just like from the stories!
OPTION A. Right next to you, close, so you don't get separated.
OPTION C. You want to find ancient lost treasure!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oops, missed that voting had closed.

What angels of El do we specifically know of?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I vote OPTION E, recall the path Enkidel and Danal took, and YES on No Votes.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Voting D,A,G because playing anything is still very novel for Enkidel, and the old greybeard may know a thing or two about helping people learn to speak his language.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Pochoclo posted:

BA, in that order

Thanks Ishamal, really, but what the gently caress just happened.

This is what I want to do as well.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Mr. Wednesday posted:

There's no point in voting A (ask Ishamal how he did that), he's just going to give us some crock about El, heroes, Labaras, and whatever.

Kids do pointless things and ask silly questions.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Option A, and if the explanation is something like "just do what I say," then exercise Option G. If she offers an explanation that at least tries to explain why though, respect her wishes.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Diogines posted:

Your mother is still hugging you. You are confused, by her words and ask her quietly what she means. "You can't talk about him anymore Sweetling, you just can't, trust me." She lets go and looks to you.

Option A and B are removed. The other options remain.

Enkidel should say to her, "Mom, this is important. The dream had to mean something. I don't want to talk about him either, but he was in the dream and I don't know what parts of the dream are important or not. I need to tell it to Tudiya just like I remember it."

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

No complicated reasoning here, but I would like to mark the way somehow. A little rock pile might be a good idea, to mark the way back to camp.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

E.veryone learns to rely on others eventually.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

"Who made you?"

Diogines posted:

"My name is Danal" you say. "Hello, Danal" the statue says in a cheerful tone. "That is a monkey."

Why're we pretending to be Danal? What witchery is this?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I'm voting [A] and [C]. At this point it'll be hard to hide what's happened; might as well come clean right now.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

A. Say what mother wants us to, and then...

J. Play the flute! This is a way better way to pay tribute to a King than just saying he did stuff.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

1. Where did you sleep each night?
F. I have my own room, near Danal, but sometimes I sleep in Danal's room too. When I think my mother is lonely I sleep in her room instead.

2. When Danal threw the ball I...
H. I got the ball, but threw it to Naomi, and then asked her to throw it to Danal! Danal, Naomi, and I played a game of catch that day.

3. When Danal does his pranks I...
E. Help him, of course! But if a prank seems dangerous, I try to convince him to stop.

4. Danal ignored me at first when I told him he HAD to do something, so I...
D. I try again because I love Danal and I do not want him to get hurt!

5. How much does this bother me?
E. Alright. I admit it. It does bother me. I try even harder to fit in because of it. I try to act like other people act.

6. I decided to...
C. A robe like everyone else.

7. When Danal is sent to clean the temple I....(Pick the one that MOST represents your motivation)
E. I go by myself because when I do, I get to spend time withe Zebanetha. Sometimes people are mean to me because I am different but Zebanetha is always VERY nice to me! And he knows great stories! Almost as good as Ishamals!

8. Speaking of gods, what do you believe?
E. I do believe in El, but I like the Melachim more! Their stories are more exciting and it is more fun to go to their temple!

9. When I am not playing with Danal, my favorite thing to do is...
L. Spend time with Rathal, Danal's oldest sister. She is trying to teach me and Danal to count and to write but it is HARD! Danal is not learning much from her and neither am I, but I spend extra time with her alone, so try to learn! If I learn this before Danal does, I can help him learn it.

10. Did I help Danal sneak out?
A. Yes, I did. It was something we did regularly and I took a sword I "borrowed" like Danal said to.

11. When I really think about it, I honestly think that Danal is my....
B. Brother.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 27, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

1. B
2. B

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

1. D. I want to one of the Mighty Men, like Barkof and Aaron!

This is a completely logical and normal goal for a 13 year old. "I want to be like my heroes!" is great.

2. A. No. You have thought about it further or been calmed down by your mothers words and do not care anymore.

Also pretty normal, accepting what mom says.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I'm slightly confused by the wording, but if C is the option to have Ishamal talk to Naomi and to take Ishamal's advice to break it off, then C is what I want.

C. You want him to talk to Naomi, but really, you will continue NOT to try to have a relationship with her.

Enkidel's got to know that he's been in denial. Naomi's nice, but this relationship would never work. Tudiya's word is law here, Ishamal's advice of: "A child should do as he is told, as his heart will be torn out if he is caught, no matter how well intentioned" is certainly metaphorically correct (since exile would mean losing access to everyone Enkidel loves). It could be literal too, since Tudiya certainly could tear out Enkidel's heart with his bare hands. Not a dude to mess with.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

1. A. Return to Tudiya's home as he told you to.

3. A. The staff I have practiced beating up straw men with.

Enkidel should just make sure it's at hand. He has no need to be "armed" with it, as he'll likely have some warning if the enemy makes it to the house. If that happens, then he can take up the staff and use it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

1. As I survey the scene near the corpse, I...

A. I spend the rest of my time here helping the handful of men who fell while running walk back to the city, by leaning on my shoulder

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 17, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

We have a lead. We can afford to get dressed so we can carry Snarls. If we make it to the scrubland we'll likely be in Azzazel's domain (since he claims the wastelands). We'll probably be able to get his attention.

What we'll do with his attention after is another question; he may want more than we're really willing to pay to deal with that monster. But the scrubland is a pretty sure bet, even without Azzazel's help.

1. E.
2. x.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

E/B

Let's go home. As has been pointed out, Azzazel is not of Zepath and we are in no way forbidden from accepting his aid. Hell, from what I can tell, it doesn't even go against the spirit of the trial. Especially seeing as how we're talking about the dude whose apparent test of Labaras is the very basis of this trial.

This is completely sensible an I am in complete agreement with it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Vavrek posted:

1. "You've always been a brother to me."

2. L. Tell Tudiya, "My father, I thank you for all you have done, but I must see my mother, and show her that her son is man. Don't worry, we'll join the feast soon."

I like the wording for these choices. I second this set.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Might as well go for broke here. F is what we should do.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Plan B. Trust old man Ishamal.

Diogines posted:

Voting remains open but B seems like a sure winner at this point.

This is not a formal vote, but could I get some input on what you want to do next? Do you want to go through the finer details of your decision to ask Ishamal for help or gloss over it?

Do you want to spend time on this, your first full day home with Danal or Jalitha or skip them too and the details of your time with them will be written in after the fact? Do you want time with anyone else instead?

Do you want to skip ahead till your first outing with Aaron or past that even? Assuming nothing important or noteworthy happens first, which is always a possibility.

Basically, How fast do you want things to go without your direct input?

I would actually like to spend some "screen time" with Jalitha. She was a temple servant back in Baitel, I'd like to talk to her and learn more about her (and about who Enkidel's biological father was). We're not going to get that if we just auto-pilot through all our interactions with her.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

K. We're in a better position than many to keep a secret from Tudiya, though I expect he doesn't mind read casually.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

A.

As long as we're not torturing the goats or being cruel, there's probably no cause for concern. We're not killing it for sport, after all. It's for food.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Sogol posted:

There really is a reason craftsman do an end to end process. It is not that they are simply too stupid to do it another way.

I play with clay as a hobby. I've made sculptures and such for fun, and own an electric kiln I don't run nearly as often as I'd like. Anyway, there is more to preparing clay than just digging it up usually. I mean, if you have a really high quality clay to start with then that is literally it, but usually you need to prepare it by kneading it and making sure there are no air bubbles in it. That's called wedging the clay, in pottery jargon, but it's basically kneading and pounding the clay just like dough. Traditional potters (of which there are still some around, and a few of whom I know) usually delegate this task to apprentices. It's the task you get after you've shown you can follow instructions and show up on time. Basically what you do after you've proved you can sweep a floor and not break anything. It's simple but important and time consuming.

A badly prepared clay body can ruin an entire firing, because air bubbles expand and can cause the pottery to explode in the kiln, thus damaging everything else being fired (it's usual to do as many pots as possible per firing for a wood kiln). I expect the potter may see a moderately higher rate of failure until he's trained the slaves properly, but since he's saving so much time to make more the wastage won't hurt him much. Unless the pot explodes while he's looking inside the kiln to check the temperature, that'd be bad.

A. Save a quarter of the money, use the rest on J. Basscop's Idea.

Basscop's idea is great because letting the potter manage some/most of the slaves mitigates the amount of risk to our investment. If this new idea fails, or the potter dies or something, we still have the debt slaves to use for other things.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

paragon1 posted:

If we buy slaves we will A. Be constantly responsible for their well being and actions. B. Have to pay for their upkeep and C. Will own people, when we ourselves weren't too keen on being property.

We are going to be taking a whole lot of people we don't even know into our direct care for the rest of their or our lives.

They're debt slaves, so they'd go free at 50. Enkidel is a mighty man, and thus will live much longer than that (barring any tragedy). As I understand the plan, we'd be letting the slave merchant and the potter manage the slaves directly. Yes, we'd be responsible ultimately, but our role is as an investor.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Part of Enkidel's problem with being a slave was that he'd done nothing to merit being one. He was a child, the son of a freeborn woman, rescued from the wilds. He had no debts to pay, had done nothing wrong himself; he was a slave because it made it much harder for random people to be abusive toward him in the city. It was protective, but still not really fair.

This is not chattel slavery, either. It's more like the Ancient Greek slavery, where a slave could make money on the side and pay off his price. It's always a good thing to see another person go free.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Diogines posted:

This sort of question has the potential to give a slave... ideas. It is strange enough I am asking for a minivote as to whether or not you ask this one.

Don't ask it yet. It's premature, we just met and acquired them.

Gaddiel needs some hope, if he's going to not be a problem here.

Take Gaddiel aside and speak to him privately. "Sometimes fate has strange things in mind for us. I was rescued from the wilds, and was twice a slave through no fault of my own. The first time I was so young I didn't understand why I was constantly mistreated. The second time was to Tudiya, and though he is extremely gentle with his retainers and slaves, when I gained reason I still wished to be a free man instead of a gently treated slave. Had I been a difficult person, had I been disagreeable and badly behaved for Tudiya, I would likely still be a slave, regardless of my potential abilities."

"Your misfortune is somewhat mitigated. Instead of ending up thrall to a man who has only thought of slaves as slaves, fate and El has placed you in my care for now. I will not mistreat you. I will not allow you to be mistreated. I can only judge a man by the merits he displays, be it what I see myself or what my business partners or other trusted associates report."

And then give him a chance to respond, because he's going to need to see Enkidel as a person instead of some faceless master if he's going to cooperate.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

A. The hell I can't! I run faster!

Enkidel's been in solid training! He ran from Eyescream carrying Snarls! He's endured hunger and pain before, and he'll do it again just to show up Lullaya! And then he'll eat an entire venison leg!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

E. Walk home, let the sandals mitigate the hunger until we're in a position to deal with it without hurting our reputation.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

B. Refuse her.

It won't be the last we've seen of her, I'm sure, but there's no reason to go with her now. While some of what she says is interesting, her actions in being such a public figure and leading a heresy mark her very clearly as being a player who is willing to give up anonymity prematurely. That's bad, and it's bad for anyone who works with her. If she were really waiting for Enkidel, she'd have been wiser to do it quietly.

I guess I just don't trust her judgement, even if everything she's said is true.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Bareen gave an order to her people to kill everyone but Enkidel and Danal. This isn't really the time to be hesitant or try to use intimidation alone. Anyone armed is a legit combatant. Let the people who want to run flee, and defend our friends as best we can.

F. Fight alongside our friends. Watch for signs that Danal's captors are going to run off with him, and stop them if they try.

Rahul posted:

Yeah, this should definitely be noted. It's kind of surprising how easily some people are suggesting we start mowing down people, especially when it's not even really clear that these are bad people. Most of them are poor former slaves and farmers and hunters.
Bareen may have been out of line trying to take us by force, but nobody should have to die for it.

Does anyone remember that speech we just had five minutes ago about how much the Melachim hate seeing people fight and kill each other?

I'm on the F, D bandwagon, on the condition that we focus on getting them to safety, and not just start butchering dudes.

Bareen and her followers have tried to kidnap both of Tudiya's sons. Do you think he'll be merciful toward them? Anyone providing resistance is dead, either now in the fight or as soon as Tudiya can track them down after. The very best we can do if we want to save lives is to fight alongside our friends and be seen doing so, so that they're spared his wrath and less likely to be killed in the fight by the heretics.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 22, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

E. A short speech. "Bareen tried to tempt me into running away with her followers. I refused, and she tried to kidnap Danal and I. She knew things. She knew my old name, and secrets I told no one at all. She wanted me because she knew who my father was, and I doubt she will be the last."

L. Ask for Snarls nose to help, find Danal and get him home talk to whoever is caring for him at the moment (probably Aaron).

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Here's what I think. gently caress this place.

Tell mom "If you do not tell me who my father was, you are leaving me in perpetual danger from everyone. I do not know what everyone wants from me, be it Bareen, Zebanetha, Ishamal, Tudiya or bloody Indor. I was just nearly kidnapped. Do you think this is safe for me? This place is safe for us?

Either tell me so I can take steps to defend myself and you, or I am leaving, alone. This place is no longer safe for me while I do not know who my father is."

Get all our belongings, flute, Snarls, bow, armour, club if we can carry it. Head south east into the wilderness. Pack for a long travel. We're done with this place if she doesn't tell us. We're gonna go find Azz and chill with him.

God knows what Tudiya is doing to Bareen and what she'll tell him. Or what the gently caress Ishamal and Barkof are up to. This place is a snakepit and we're loving blindfolded with no magic, no knowledge.

Throwing a tantrum and issuing an ultimatum that you're running away from home if you don't get your way is a great way to get people to take you seriously as an adult.

(No it's not)

Changing my vote to M. Not this!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

D. find Aaron and Danal, don't pack or anything.

Talk to mom about all this later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Soylent Pudding posted:

Tell Aaron about Barkoff, tell him in more detail about the blue smoke bodies, do not threaten to leave the city if we don't get answers I really want to speak with Azz but that's something we do after we get the situation settled and talk with Aaron, Tudiya, Ishmal, etc. Also Aaron seems to be a good mentor and is poised to rise in the world, let's stick close to him in the future.

A sensible course of action. I vote for this. None of the leaving the city nonsense, none of the childish attempts at emotional blackmail.