Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Tomn posted:

Hmm.

From that description, I'd say the main combat power of the Norcs comes from their formation fighting. With their spears and shields, they're effectively impossible for Urians to take on in a frontal assault short of fully-fledged Mighty strength. If we take them head on, they're probably going to use the minotaur mass to hem us in so that they can stop us from flanking them, and prevent us from maneuvering to dodge their attacks. If we want to take the Norcs in outright battle, it's absolutely vital that we use trickery and deception to allow a strong force to take them in the flank, breaking up their formation and allowing our Blooded men to get into kill range where they can put their superior strength to use.

Hit and run attacks MIGHT be doable, but we'd only get a few Norcs before they start traveling en masse to make themselves effectively untouchable except by our arrows (and we don't have enough ammo to take all of them even if we headshot with every shot). However, with that few Norcs, their control over the minotaurs is likely limited - if we force them into combat formation, we might be able to nip at the minotaur flanks, lure them out into reckless charges, and generally kill and demoralize the minotaurs without the Norcs being able to help out much without risking defeat in detail. And that's in a straight battle - while we may not be able to touch the Norcs much, we should certainly be able to knock off minotaurs on a regular basis in quick raids. If we can get the minotaurs to stampede, the Norcs will be forced to abandon the prisoner cages simply because they no longer have the manpower to pull the cages along and still fight.

There is, however, one major unknown factor: Sacrifices. If we worry the Norcs enough, they may begin sacrificing their captives en masse in exchange for...something. What? More demon support? Transformation of one of the Norcs into a Blighty Man? Deadly combat magics? We don't know. If we're going to take the Norcs, it is probably preferably to make it a short engagement in case they decide to try pulling something nasty out of the blood of those we're trying to save.

It is PROBABLY a good idea to call for reinforcements - as is, it looks like things are going to need to go exactly right for us to pull out an unmitigated win here. Still doable, but it'd be tricky.

Clearly the correct solution is to have Enkidel and his Mighty Sons come straight at the Norc's rear making as much noise as possible. There's no way the Norcs would ignore obviously blooded people on their rear. They might mistake Endkidel for a king sized nuke and form a battle line. to deal with it. Then Aaron and the rest of the Mighties that come in the next day hit them from their former front as they try to form a battle line. Aaron is fast enough and sneaky enough to get right in their midst that would throw whatever order they manage to set up into disarray, Aaron would go through them like a hot knife through butter and then right behind him what amounts to a few dozen living siege engines.

Alternately the Norcs might try to run away, right into Aaron and co who will proceed to butcher their way through.
Another alternative is they might send a few thousand minotaurs to deal with Enkidel, fearing another powerword: Nuke. Enkidel and co could lead the minotaurs away while Aaron and Co cut their way through the Norcs. and maybe even take the minotaurs in the rear.

Edit: I just finished catching up on this thread, though I only read the first couple hundred pages of everyone's posts then switched to Diog only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Ralith posted:

6E + Loot the vault with Aaron's help so Barkof doesn't get it while it's undefended + Send a runner to Dor with instructions to hint that the King's sister might be amongst the prisoners + Test attacks on the armor before leaving + our Balls join the Zepathian reinforcements when they arrive

This is an unparalleled opportunity to be an incredibly annoying stealthy sniper and slow down the whole army, buying us time.

The problem with that is we've seen those Norcs sacrifice people before, en mass. Remember that whole blood cloud thing? I get the feeling that whatever was supposed to happen was interrupted. If you piss them off they might do that again. They recognized Asherak on Enkidel, which definitely suggests Demonic influence. Danal said he saw Sushem raise some sort of horror from four dead men. If Tudiya didn't kill them would the last batch of Norcs try to bring some sort of blood golem to life? Would this batch try the same thing?

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Tomn posted:

Yeah, this is my big concern with Plan Sneaky rear end in a top hat - the Norcs have a lot of captives and a lot of souls they can sacrifice now for big cash prizes. If we push them too hard before we can rally strength for a decisive blow, what will they pull out their rear end?

I looked back at the last Norc invasion to see if only Blighty Men could do blood magic. The evidence is inconclusive. The first Norc had a presence and did something to his equipment which Tudiya swatted aside. The second Norc attacked in a purely physical manner, and the third Norc did some kind of blood magic. Neither of the last two were noted to have a presence, but maybe we just weren't paying close enough attention at the time?

Part of me wants to see what happens when they sacrifice several thousand prisoners. Maybe that scene in "The Shining"? Nothing good I'm sure. The only real solution is to hit them hard, fast and break up their organization.

I wonder -- does the set fire power need to be directed at things that are actually able to burn... could it light arrows on a bow, or in flight? Could the Might Son who can routinely do the create fire power practice lighting our arrows on fire?

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

:allears: Because the number 1 priority that Aaron has right now is whether or not he's going to burn some Norcs on an altar.

In a world with fairly literal divine intervention, you don't want to piss a God off.

Voting B -- Taking the smaller group first with everyone means they won't have those forces for use later, it also lets Aaron see what sort of tactics they use to fight underground.
(I say Aaron because I doubt Goonkidel will pay any attention...) Plus if they've separated out the children there has to be a reason for it. They likely don't think we'd be overly attached
to children. Back in the temple they didn't say "Surrender and we'll spare the children!" They said "Leave us the meat and go!" I can only imagine there is something horrific in store for
those kids, something that might turn out worse for Enkidel.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I would also support a mild intervention - we have just recently received what seems to be a direct communique from El. Everything in our life is pointing to the fact that worshipping melachim directly is at best pointless, at worst a really really bad idea.

I don't know. It seems kind of like the Melachim don't care too much about the Heretic Balls. Every communication that didn't involve head trauma ends with "Do not destroy" They could've said "There are some wayward souls among your number, their devotion is misplaced." or something. So either the Melachim don't know, or don't care. Or they don't want Enkidel to care about it. Given something was listening hard enough to hear Enkidel promise to do a service I can't see the heretics being unnoticed. I'd say let the Heretic Balls do their thing until something more than human objects.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Bularin posted:

I do believe that in a dank pit, following an army of monsters, is the best time to strike up a religious debate. Proceed, gentlemen.

Maybe not the best, but certainly the most hilarious!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I.

We should cut open a few of those eggs. See what's in them. We don't know that they're the same species as that thing Enkidel just squashed they could pretty much be anything.
Also it might be worth setting up an altar to El and stacking the demon and some eggs on it. Then if we have to leave in haste we can ignite it as we pass. Bonus points if Enkidel doesn't even look at the altar as it catches fire.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

A+C Plan Pincer. Take the fastest, quietest and strongest ( Can Enkidel use [???] to make his companions choose the quietest route? Sorta like guiding them at the church battle...) a few meters ahead and kill anything that is not human. The path to the best possible outcome is hitting them hard and fast before they know what is going on. Even if they're prepared and have formed a defensive perimeter there's no way they could expect the sheer amount of pain Enkidel and friends can unleash on them.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Balltrance!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

1. 5 -- Pragmatism dictates that Enkidel need the Balls more than the children. You can't just put weapons in the kids' hands and expect it to work though then again the whole point is to rescue people.

2. C -- I want those big bastards on either side of Enkidel

3. D -- Enkidel is far more capable of taking care of himself, but don't over extend!

4. I -- http://goo.gl/ETthlp

Also +1 for HiHo's speech idea.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

1.L Have some of the remaining balls secure the cave. The rest should gather up as much not-silver as they can. Knives, swords, spears, the works, see if you can outfit your Balls with the not-silver armour.
Also leave Enkidel's wound alone until after treating the others.

2. N This is pretty much the exact situation that dagger is meant for. A spear through the chest is going to be a much more serious wound than a spear to the leg, especially given the difference in fortitude.

3.R Ithma can be saved simply by having someone apply pressure to the wound and waiting for you. Paebel could very easily be slipping away as Enkidel thinks. Stab the death away first.

4. Have Snarls find the finger, attach if we have meds left over after treating everyone else. Otherwise just keep it, for posterity.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Dio told us that it was super rare, and I did not plan on dealing with the witch lady any time soon. Obviously I am a very small voice here but that was my plan for the world ahead. I did not like dealing with her, at least not in our pupa stage.

Hell, I rarely vote now that "Not Votes" were taken away. I did not have an exact plan where I wanted us to go, just where I did not want us to go (Kill and eat your best friend!). Now I just enjoy watching this game from the sidelines. I occasionally try to point out a thing or two but that's it.

Hey, did you guys stop to think about the long term with this dagger? Could be 'more' useful later. Hell, Peble might not even need it, maybe he just needs to stop bleeding with the normal medicine we have. That is all, carry on!

Dio is also an unreliable narrator. I seem to recall him saying he will lie to us. Though in this case it might not be a lie. Indor said the dagger was super rare, how would Enkidel know any different?

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

1. J. "We're from Zepath, we saved you because that is what heroes do."

2. P.Keep the gold for the families of the dead and crippled

3. V. EAT a statue. No, seriously eat one, sacrifice the rest. Eating the flute let Enkidel discern what its magical properties were.

4. D Outfit every ball in not silver armour, take all the weapons you can, give the bigger children not silver knives, have the kids carry as much gear as they can. Keep the Balls loaded only in such a way that they can drop everything they need to in order to fight. Sacrifice the rest of the armour to El.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Diogines posted:

It is a little funny at times. I appreciate the sentiment though! They are eager for updates and feel invested which is good!

I am at work. A large update is not happening before tonight. The odds of a small one at some point this afternoon is high.

We will update again today.

*I* certainly want to update, but I am busy earning money to feed the small zoo of capybaras who run the game!

You know, after this story is done and with a little cleaning up you could easily get published. I'd buy it! You're a drat good writer.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

No need to Vayahi Or.

I can't believe how many people choose not to set everything on fire when given a follower who can set stuff on fire by yelling at it.

Set the drat thing ablaze

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Jewcoon posted:

You make a good argument. Changing vote to C+, C with fire.

When in doubt, burn it out!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

Agreed. What the heck, goons?

Better to not name specific creatures
"I don't know what the El that was, but it has learned the fear of man!"

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Tomn posted:

Pretty much the main question I want to ask all L voters is this: Why now? Why is it absolutely essential, right at this very second, to hack off the finger instead of when we've calmed down enough to, let's say, tell the Balls to tie ourselves down in preparation for the massive convulsions we're going to go into when the finger goes off? What makes the removal of the finger so urgent that it can't wait for ANYTHING?

Even if it is re-attaching it makes Enkidel useless right now. The party is currently sitting at the mouth of a subterranean cave whence an entire army of not-silver clad demon worshippers descended and horrific creatures are known to live. There could be things heading out to meet the Balls right this second. In fact everyone being distracted with infighting would make casualties extremely likely. Cutting off the finger, draining the pus and bandaging the hand should end the terrible pain that is preventing Enkidel from even contemplating [PIE].

Enkidel was perfectly 'rational' until the finger was poked and then he spazzed. With that in mind I vote D The finger can wait at least until everyone has stopped pointing blades at each other.

Being knocked out for the procedure does sound like a good idea, but Enkidel is in no shape to articulate that. Also in no shape to correct Eleazar on the slave status of Hiddai.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

B

It occurs to me that the reason it might hurt so much is the nerves grew back together before anything else so it feels like the thing is part way through getting severed.
After Enk pass out maybe he can get some answers from Uncle Jorah. After all, Enkidel did not suffer head trauma this time...

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Ralith posted:

D Paebro can be trusted.

Then why are you voting to endorse the guy who wants to chop it off? If you agree that the nerves are regrowing, then you should agree the rest will too.

Because it is regrowing, but it is debilitating. Enkidel can't afford to be screaming in pain while his finger grows. What if that giant tentacle thing came out of the tunnel right now? Nobody's looking How many children and Balls could it kill before the House Men can stop it? Enkidel is in no position to lead with that finger causing mind shattering agony.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Honorific! posted:

I'm pretty sure that either cutting the finger off or not cutting the finger off are both going to lead to Enkidel passing out. We won't be able to lead if we are passed out either. I wouldn't guarantee that either way he will not still be in excruciating pain when he wakes up... combo of infection/newly cut off finger is probably going to feel pretty bad.

But one way leads to him waking up without the finger, possibly leading to a clearer head and not writhing on the ground in agony. The risk vs reward here just doesn't stack up for me. Enkidel is possibly risking hundreds of lives... because he wants that drat finger to grow back. While he's out I am sure Hiddai will dress and drain the wound so it ought to hurt less, especially if - as I suspect - the finger actually is re-attaching and he's feeling the pain of a partially severed finger that took three days to get that far.

Then again if Enkidel passes out with the finger still attached, maybe Uncle Jorah will take pity on his dumb rear end.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

1.B Somehow the demons stole knowledge that was meant for mankind, how else would Demons have knowledge of a metal stronger than Bronze? it must be taken back, purified and made to serve El.

Also ask Ishy if he's seen anything like the metal before.

2. Q Tudiya is a big man, he'll be able to see that he was wrong and won't be too pissed.

3. D. She is the wife of a friend. The Balls are all filthy stinking rich, I am sure one of them would be cool with taking her in. Plus they know for a fact Enkidel is an engine of destruction so they wouldn't be inclined to mistreat her.

Ask Aaron if any of the Norc tried talking to him, don't mention what they called Enkidel.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Calling the not-silver "Steal" because we stole it from the Norcs is the best pun and whatever plan is decided I hope it sticks :colbert:

I wish I'd thought of that!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Diogines posted:

A joke achievement in response to what the_steve said.

I feel we should make Enkidel eat more random things that might be magical. Perhaps if Enkidel eats Mighty Man flesh he'll learn more about them... It worked with the flute.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Slaan posted:

Of course. People are easier to eat if you hamstring them first. If you don't the blood just gets everywhere and is a giant mess and who has the time to clean up?

Given my recent suggestions on what to eat ... put me down as a member of the Enkidel Gourmand Society. Though to be fair I want him to eat random things/people to determine if they have magical properties.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Crudus posted:

LUA

Don't give Zeb the metal. He didn't just perform a divining on the metal, he did a science experiment. Wine is acidic, we don't know what the powder is but he was probably looking for a chemical reaction and it didn't happen. We have super senses, I'm sure we would have noticed any change physical or otherwise.

The church is trying to suppress progress and that's why he had to test to see if the metal was too good for us to keep. Ask Zeb to do the exact same experiment on a piece of bronze. I bet it corrodes or changes color or something.

If the powder was salt, he might've been trying to induce bronze disease. Since that did not work he knew it wasn't copper, brass or bronze and therefor eeeevil.

voting we give the stuff that wasn't claimed by the Balls to Zeb
Though Enkidel should say to Zeb "Keeping me ignorant has never had a positive outcome, you could literally be denying me information that might save lives. You know I get really stupid trying to find out what people aren't telling me, that was how that business with Barkoth and Bareen got started, people refused to tell me anything, Bareen promised she had answers, and suddenly there's blood, swords and screaming everywhere."

It likely isn't worth risking Zeb talking to Tudyia about our Steal. I'd suggest showing some to Ishy, but he won't say gently caress all anyway.

Perhaps now is a good time to vote Gourmand Eat some small, nonsharp bit of Steal, failing that eat Zeb.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

Yes to all mini votes
In for a penny, in for a Pound.

Curses, pithy old sayings, my only weakness. Put me down for a pound. Yes to all

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Task Manager posted:

He might not tell anyone, but do we want to put him in that sort of position to begin with? "Oh hey Zeb, by the way I think I see spirits of the dead, is that ok?" For all we know it could be a sign of the Anti-El and it means he's got to put us down. He likes us, and is willing to overlook our Indor trinkets - why even bring up a topic we know is fairly heretical? To what level is he going to let it slide? What can he likely even add to the discussion that would be beneficial?

Its also a slippery slope. We tell him we see spirits, next we are telling him some spirits fly away and others dissipate. Some scream in terror! If it is indeed a blatant sign that the Temple of El doctrine is in anyway false, is Zeb still going to have our back? Will he turn us in to prevent the unraveling of an institution he's devoted his life to?

Trust him with the metal because he already knows we have it. Don't trust him with the we see dead people stuff because who knows how he may react.

I don't get why seeing the dead is heretical. Basically the first thing they do is get pulled away to the mountain which would confirm doctrine, not contradict it. I don't recall them just evaporating but that could be me. The ones who scream were also pulled towards the mountain.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

maxhush posted:

S - Eat the stones, go back to Ibleam and roll around in its ashes

gently caress it, we'll get our El-damned answer ourselves

I dub this Plan Gourmand, and I endorse it

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Maybe we misheard and the message was "save for years of hard poo poo..." Our body got the memo, but we never clued in :(

I am starting to think that Enkidel is Digital... Because he certainly does not analog

The pun was too punny to resist.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Affi posted:

Zeb would slit our throats if it said anything other then Laberas fyi.

Correction, he would try Could he even reach Enkidel's neck?

John Lee posted:

Voting for Plan Sogol, viz. O. I ask to learn of a new skill from El himself.

Same!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Taanach should be approached to contribute some House Men to help defend Ibleam. Put out a call for settlers, Blooded settlers. Promise glory with the Balls, promise training to seek out and destroy the Norcs, to take the fight to Asherah and beyond!

IF Barkof doesn't attack within these 3 months, that should give us enough time to get an alliance with Dor and Taanach going. In event Barkof marches out and leaves his shitcamp undefended, Dor will raid and capture his family.[/b]

Why just Taanach. Zepath should send envoys towards the core cities, there's at least one city and village that Enkidel directly helped. Maybe some of the bored people in Baitel itself would rally to the cry of "Kill monsters, build cities, get chicks!"

Anyway, voting Plan Lanky Coconut

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

L.

Take the younger boy, Suggest Danal take David. Reasoning: Danal is unmarried and an infant would seriously need a mother more than a 9 year old boy. Enkidel and Danal are the sons of the king, David will likely grow up to be a super badass and king of a rebuilt Ibleam, And if it ever happens that Enkidel gets a change to actually found a city dedicated to slaying Norcs, the younger brother could be a king too... so it seems a good idea to have them as close to the king as possible. Tuydia didn't say he wanted the kids, (which I suspect he would if he did) the king's sons are next best. Especially since Danal and Enkidel are badasses in their own rights. Plus it seems poetic - Older brother adopts younger child, younger brother adopts older child.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 1, 2014

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Er...I think Danal has a wife. And children...

We went out of the way just to find a wife for him, in fact.

There were several updates centered around it.

A

Crap, I remembered the wife, but not children. Scratch that part. The rest still stands though.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

I think people are willing to believe Bareen may have been weaving some truth into her lies because...

1) We do have some direct evidence that the Melachim created things, rather than El. I.e. Az and his goats, Xuriel and her sparrows, etc.

2) She had some artifacts that did indeed look like they pointed to originating in a Melachim worshipping culture, at at least old power:

She wore bronze armor before, now it shimmers like gold and is inlaid with intricate and ornate images of birds and winged figures which seem to have appeared from beneath as if they were hidden.

All this is around page 30 or so of Diog's thread posts, btw.

I wonder if Enkidel can still feel her sword and armour, If so maybe he should acquire them, we know they are not so evil that Zeb and Tuyida would not allow them in the city and a sword made of flame would be pretty drat badass. Imagine the savings on torches!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Neraren posted:

Heck with it. A!

I want to be able to ask questions of anyone in Zepath over the next *PERIOD OF TIME*. We only ever ask Zeba questions when we stop an update in front of Zeba, or in front of Tudiya, or Ishamal. If we resolve a timeskip immediately, then it will almost definitely stop at a period of crisis and we won't have time. Lets spend a day of real-time just getting it out of our system. Ask Ishamal about the demon centipedes. Ask Tudiya about reattaching our finger. Ask Indor about Norc metal. Ask Paebel about his worship. Lets get some answers resolved before we move on to the next crisis.

Same, I'd also add checking out the ex location of the Melachim temple, see if we can dig up some of Bareen's artifacts (if they're still there)

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Task Manager posted:

Checked it twice - quick and dirty:

A26
B2
C
D
E26
F3
G2

----------

Two votes that aren't very clear to me, that could sway it:

Diogines posted:

You won't speak with Indor or debrief with Ishamal or anything else if any option but A wins, so if you want to do any of those, say so and vote A.

I took that to mean if they mention wanting to do anything other than a time skip they want A.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Task Manager posted:

Thank you both for clarifying.

We are still tied.

Who will break party lines?

The suspense is killing me! I hope it'll last.

Seriously, how did a bunch of people vote and we ended up back in the same spot. This is awesome!

Edit: Unless I miscount A is now ahead!

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Ishamal's just being "clever".

Some of y'all gotta learn to deal with a slippery bastard, stop asking multiple questions at once at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Honorific! posted:

Can we flirt with Puabi-chan? Tell her that her tattoos look nice?

I'd vote for that, Maybe Enkidel can Piss Indor off until she turns him into a toad. A really big toad that won't shut up with questions.

"Why did you turn me into a toad?"

"Where are you taking me?"

"What is that pot of boiling water for?"

"My flesh is melting off my bones, is that normal?"