Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
This is kind of unrelated at the moment, but this has been bugging me for a while, and I'm surprised no-one else has suggested this given how many times this has come up:

Next time Tudiya - or anyone else - speaks in such a way that we feel we can "reach out and touch his words". Do it. Exert whatever weird synesthesiatic ability Enkidel is showing here and grope that grammar! This seems like it might be Important.

Also, help the guy. Maybe we can fashion some sort of crude litter out of our robe and any nearby material; pulling him for a couple of days with the aid of our trusty hound shouldn't be impossible for a relatively fit youth with magic mocassins. This guy is struggling to reach his water with his dying gasp, he's a fighter, and with our help he just might have a chance. Accepting the death of others for selfish advantage is the way of the Hungering One, not a devotee of El. Heck, could be he's a Melachim brought low who just needs a little oil holy water.

(Diog, I've been a committed lurker of this thread after racing through Between Two Rivers, just wanted to say thanks. I really enjoy your style, and think you work miracles with the vagaries of the goonmind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
This guy has the worst customer service skills.

Plan Sogol sounds good, as long as we're not serious about him owing us. He seems whimsical enough, but would probably take offense if we actually imply any sort of obligation on his part.

(touch the words)

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
Wish I could stay current with this, I've missed some good stuff (seriously, guys, dog piss?); curse my obviously jam-packed and very fulfilling personal life!

If we're still able to, I'd like to ask the Obelix obelisk something like:

"Say, Zep, has anyone else ever claimed ownership of land in your domain, seems like that's probably not a situation you'd let play our for long, right? On a totally unrelated subject, have you ever met anyone called Azzazel, what's the deal with that guy?"

Just out of curiosity, really.

1E - Use your outside voice Enkidel

When we touched the words (finally!), did we get any sensation or impression from them other than the shakes? Maybe as if there was more being communicated than the words alone would imply.

If possible, we should not try saying "Vayahi Or", but saying "Vayahi Or" - try to duplicate whatever heavy quality Tudiya and the ZepAnsaphone impart to the words (on the subject of which, breaking the oath is the Worst Idea and I pre-emptively vote against doing anything that does so).

2R - I believe! that we can reproduce observable phenomena, which is sufficiently indistinguishable from magic! :science: (I see this as the difference between learning to turn on a light and trying to light the room with pure willpower).

(edit: choice letter)

Obtuse Angol fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 11, 2013

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
If I could offer comment from the peanut gallery...

Is there any reason other than momentum to actually support Tudiya in this? Bareen is definitely not someone to follow blindly, but that isn't any reason to do so with Tudiya either.

Ishamal as much as warned Enkidel outright when he gave the warning about secret agendas hidden with virtue (or something along those lines) - he also gave us the fruity drink primarily to block out Tudiya (and aren't there a few things Tudiya may not be pleased to know that Enkidel has kept from him?).

Tudiya, Ishamal and Bareen would all use Enkidel in their way, but: a Storm is coming. And this isn't it.. Every pointless death now will make the eventual deluge that much harder to withstand. Even taking Enkidel's history with Tudiya into account, Tudiya isn't going to be best served by helping him defeat his enemies today so that he can be destroyed for lack of them tomorrow.

We need to try to stop this before it escalates into a pogrom, open revolt or even war.
As impossible as it may seem at this point I would like to humbly suggest

O - STOP THIS MADNESS!

By whatever non-slaughteriffic means may present themselves. My two bits would be to either use the Voice to bellow "CEASE!" in movie-style violence-quelling booming baritone or, if we have it, try to use that same ??? with the flute and lay down some of those anti-riot subsonics or an awesome hippy love-jam or something.

(If this gets any traction, anyone who could add that necessary touch of poesy to the moment should go nuts)

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
With all the theorycrafting about El, The Universe, and Everything, I think now might be a good time for me to bring up something that's been playing on my mind.

Firstly though, I'll just point out that I'm definitely not on Team El. I think the El-centric beliefs are, at best, a blurry mix of poorly-remembered fact and cultural bias. Despite some of the noble intentions it embodies, it also allows for slavery, religious killing, and the subjugation of women. It works, but that doesn't mean it's the only, or the "correct", way.

With that out the way, Diogines could I trouble you (or anyone who knows) for some answers to the following:

What proportion of the sorcerors, potion-crafters and miscellaneous magicfolk of Zepath are women? Likewise those who are actually considered effective?

What do we know of the wives/mothers of Mighty, or Blooded, or maybe-Blooded, men? Are there any particular families or individual women who seem to have had more Blooded (or almost) children than conventional wisdom would suggest?

(If you only answer one, please make it this). What else do we know of the origin of Asherah? Have we ever heard any other source which could possibly allow that Asherah is/was female? (I'm inclined to trust the almost first-hand account of Zepa's monument over nth-hand stories)

Although much has been made of the sons of Labaras, what, if anything is known about their mother?

I have more thoughts related to this; suffice to say, I think something... fishy is going on. Spoiler Alert:Jalitha is Asherah

e:sp

Obtuse Angol fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 1, 2014