Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
Disargeria
May 5, 2010

B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

EVG posted:

Name one influential woman from the last game... Except Amytis (or, arguably, Beaky!)

Bessy had a little going for her. And all of the mothers of the Georges would have been critical to the plot if we went down a different path!

But yeah, it would be neat to see some stronger female characters. Imagine if Narod was a woman!

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

G: Save Jalitha

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

J. Throw the tooth into the ocean.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

D. Mom
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
C. Uncle Pagam
F. Alone along the beach
A. Father

E. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't care if he exists or not, you just want to make Jalitha happy

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Sucrose posted:

If it really mattered, and you were trying to compile a list like this, it would be most logical to assign first place votes eight points each, second place votes 7 points each, and so on and so forth, and then add them all up and write the list based on total sum of each.

That's how I did my summary. First place is worth 8 points, down to 1 point for last place. This way, a lot of high votes would move someone up the final tally, and any trends in low or mid voting could still establish themselves.

I'm not saying how anyone should vote or who's right or what, but I personally don't care about the positions so much as the order they're in. I want to spend more time with Jorah, so I would be happy with him in any of the top three spots. I don't want to spend time with the Father, so I want to get him as low as possible. I don't care if he's 6th, 7th or 8th. In the other system, a specific position matters. I think there's a few obvious trends going so I doubt either system is really going to impact the game.

Here's a summary of the point system. Their average rank is in parenthesis.

quote:

Uncle Jorah - 358 (6.4)
Father - 303 (5.5)
Alone/Ocean - 276 (5.0)
Jalitha - 273 (4.9)
Mom - 233 (4.2)
Alone/Beach - 210 (3.8)
Uncle Pagam - 197 (3.7)
Alone/Forest - 131 (2.5)

With this, a few people could make us spend more time with Jalitha just by voting her higher in the ranking. The other system would require a rearrangement of where people focus their votes to make sure theirs didn't get wasted behind Jorah's.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 05:22

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

Effectively the same as Disargeria's results. On the other hand, it's clear that the voting for Father is still rather divided; he had almost as many votes for third as for first, and half as many votes for last as for first, while Jorah's votes tapered off from the high of 18 through the first four positions.

We'll just let Diog sort that out!

Paradise Lost: Our Only Fanart is Voting Charts

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

many-lots of votes in the spreadsheet

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

quote:

Uncle Jorah - 504 (6.55)
Father - 406 (5.27)
Alone/Ocean - 390 (5.06)
Jalitha - 389 (5.05)
Mom - 320 (4.16)
Alone/Beach - 291 (3.78)
Uncle Pagam - 278 (3.66)
Alone/Forest - 192 (2.49)

Current updated tally. It would not take much effort to switch Father, Alone/Ocean and Jalitha around by promoting one of the three and demoting the others in your votes.

But please make sure you say you're changing it!

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Crap, I missed C? I have no idea what C was but I put it right in the middle then.

But there's no middle! Do you mean above or below Jorah?

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Those last few votes did, in fact, move Pagam up to #6.

Voting for only one or two people has a bigger impact on moving their positions because it's taking points away from the others. Given that Diog has been more accepting of negative votes, I guess we can let that slide.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

We've been seen with her for like 10 years now.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

How is her religion any more misguided than the fish one?

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Raserys posted:

Wait, I thought we were 16 now with a 6-year timeskip? Also, just tell him what you remember.

The second time he said 6 years pass was because we were reliving the past 6 years based on the time we chose to spend with people. We went into the future to determine how to vote for the past.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

What the hell is dad going to do? He doesn't speak their language. The only sane answer is D. When did everyone get on the dad train?

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

See? You guys thought our father would handle this reasonably. It's pretty obvious that we're her son now.

OPTION A

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

Seconding this, and if Not-A is not a vote then B.

Seriously guys, what the hell? Are we supposed to be insane or have severe ADD or something? We just had an overwhelming vote to start taking our studies more seriously so that we can eventually lead the tribe as its high priest, and now we're willing to completely abandon it at the first sign of trouble? This sort of inconsistency is what got us smacked down hard in the last CYOA.

That vote in itself was a change from what we originally voted for. It was also a much smaller vote from the previous, meaning fewer people could've shifted the vote in another way.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

and

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

faced with a mob of men who just broke into their house and shot their 'rear end in a top hat' dad in the face

Yep they sure broke into our house what with all of their hands open and introductions and offering beer and stuff

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Maybe it's like a philosophical question that they're seeking an answer to.

"El is the storm that comes." is a delightfully mysterious and prophetic answer, just in case we're somehow the angelbaby of El or something.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Well since it's coming from the team that staunchly supports our abusive father over a bunch of kind strangers/royalty/giants and our own mother, I'm really not surprised they want to get us killed.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's the spreadsheet.

Honestly, I'm surprised maxhush's option got such a surge in votes right after it was suggested.

Edit: Going to try to be an impartial vote-tallier from here on~

I really like how you set this spreadsheet up

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Random Idiot posted:

Seriously, the reason most people gave for starting in the backwoods tribal village was for something different and now everyone seems super-eager to ditch all of the interesting bits and become generic village kid #205, blindly obeying the giant who busted into a peaceful fishing village and killed the spiritual leader.

Voting E. Where does this guy get the balls to try to change who we are?

Clearly we should have chosen the city life so we could wash ashore after a disastrous storm hits during a boat trip and get washed up on a tiny remote island.

Also I vote

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

1. A
2. A + D
3. I

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

C A H

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Yes to not votes.

I do think the problem is that Asherah voters can simply vote for a single controversial option while the rest of the voters are picking between a variety of more peaceful/engaging options, allowing them to more easily reach consensus and overwhelm a split decision.

Unless the votes were split into categories "choose from these votes in column A OR this vote in column B" with the winning column getting selected and column A narrowed down to its voting pattern, the majority of players are going to be upset without not votes.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

You want evidence, read rex monday's posts--he's considering dropping out of the game because he feels his votes don't matter any more. So am I to be quite honest. (Not because I don't think my votes don't matter but because I don't like the increasingly adversarial nature of this game) The closeness of the votes over whether or not to drop not-votes is pretty good evidence that there are a lot of people unhappy with the way the voting is currently going, so I think that's a pretty good sign that something needs to be done about it. Majority votes are OK when you have a wide variety of choices each with their own supporters. When things get polarized and people group into one of two "camps," like we're seeing now, that it becomes a problem.

By that view, any non-winning vote doesn't matter, including ones that splinter off from the same idea. That's just what happens when you've voting for one idea. In the grand scheme of things, he never had a chance of his vote winning, so does it matter if he lost by 20 votes or if the winning vote won with 20 less, but his was also reduced by the same amount?

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Trundel posted:

I too find it odd that after voting to spend more time with dad and learning the small secrets of being a priest of Asherah our character suddenly threw everything away about his old life because a lady, that he did in fact care for but not enough to spend time with while growing up, told him that everyone was a cannibal with only a few stray inklings that it might be the case.

And I think it's odd that that single vote gets so much attention because he actually lost the main vote to Jorah.

Dad only got more time spent with him over the rest because of a mini vote of 37 people (from just 4 options).

Edit: The final result from spending time was ~87 votes:

1. Jorah
2. Alone Swimming
3. Jalitha
4. Dad
5. Mom
6. Pagam

On top of that, we specifically voted that we believe in both gods, not one over the other.

When asked who to TALK to (not the same as voting to spend time with), of the 4 choices, 13 of 37 people voted for dad. It was absolutely a small minority of people who voted this way, so why is there so much emphasis on it?

Edit2: Forgot about the reprioritization vote.

30 people voted whether to move Dad up in the priority. 21 voted yes.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2013 around 17:09

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Did we ever hear any stories about hero-like figures from anyone other than Jalitha? Did our village have no concept of hero?

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

I missed out on like 500 pages I wonder what we're up to now...

Aw come on guys. A + K please.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Ixtlilton posted:

No, we were kidnapped, they grabbed us and killed our father, just because we didn't run away after that doesn't make it less of a kidnapping.

I'm pretty sure straight up decided to go with the strangers:

OPTION H: Grab your father's giant shark tooth and THEN go with Jalitha and the outsiders as they flee!

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

I'm not sure I buy that that can be construed as a well informed decision to go with them; we hadn't intended to go with them when we stepped up and they grabbed us. We ran with them after they beheaded our father, everyone was screaming and running around, lightning had just been shot at a bunch of people, the ground was shaking and disaster looming. We had to run somewhere, and away from the danger happened to be the same path the outsiders and Jalitha were taking. Running away from a giant mess in fear and panic shouldn't be taken as aligning ourselves with a particular group of people.

And even then, as before, people, children at any rate, can still be technically kidnapped even if they think they want it. Parents 'willingly' kidnap children from other parents all the time.

I am not sure how you determined all of that from the words "Go with Jalitha and the outsiders". I think it's pretty obvious what it meant and what a majority of people voted for. You're allowed your own interpretation of events, but I'd say the reason there's so much dissonance here is because your line of thinking is clashing with the majority of voters.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

You might think it's pretty obvious, I disagree. Trying to argue that the phrase 'go with Jalitha etc.,' meant 'go with them culturally and socially, align yourself with them as your new family' instead of just 'go with them in the same direction, away from earthquakes and hungry fish gods' seems like a pretty big stretch to me, 'with' is not that definite a word.

I wasn't even suggesting that was the meaning.

We voted to go with them. As in they're going, and we're going with them together, by choice. I was mainly rebutting the idea that we were kidnapped. The purpose of going with them is up to the voters, and I can't claim to know what the majority was thinking there. However, it was very much a conscious decision amongst the majority to willingly go with this group of people.

It is that line of thinking (We were kidnapped from our home! Of course we'll rebel against these evil kidnappers!) that is causing a lot of strife amongst the voters and I think is entirely up to the misinterpretation of events by a group of people.

I just want everyone to have fun playing this awesome CYOA so I want to get all of this confusion out of the way.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

A+H

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

this

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Maybe that's what the angels look like

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

OPTION B

It doesn't take any effort to fall down, we've still got a reserve of energy!

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

I am stating as an empirical fact, you do not.

You have no more reserves. You spent them getting this far.

Give up. It is time to stop.

You have nothing left to give and I don't care whawhatever it is you think you have to prove, you don't.

Stop. I stopping now and you should too.

Is that the same body that was convinced we had to eat everything? I'm not buying it. Bodies also say they can't pull things like trains but they can do that too.

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 5, 2010

We haven't SEEN any voices, but we've... felt voices. Maybe that's important?

«9 »