Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

It took me nearly a week, but I read this whole thing (in Diogines-post-only mode) from start to finish. Wow, what a ride. Poor Enkidel.

So do we get to know what happened to Snarls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Welcome to the party Querns. How mad are you?

I didn't start reading until the entire thing was over, so I am not nearly so invested in the story as everyone else. :shobon:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

As a guy who only started reading after Judahgame started, I am pretty excited for the opportunity to influence Endikel's life.

Assuming we make it back, here's what I think Endikel should do. We want to bring back as much of the advanced technology as we can, especially any parchment.

Given how dangerous we are, we should probably stop adventuring out in the open world. Instead, let's start Sim City 4000 BC and start developing the hell out of Kavodel. I want Kavodel to be the scientific center of Ur. To this end, we need to, either by going ourselves or through our family members, make many pilgrimages to the Donut and start looking for clever minds, like the pottery guy. Those we find, we bring back to Kavodel and encourage to exercise their ingenuity, even at the cost of social impropriety. Start a library as well, using the newfangled parchment stuff to record all of our knowledge and history.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, i don't think the entities who are watching us to make sure we don't become a ravenous hunger-demon are going to think too poorly of us for creating an environment where normal people can exercise their creativity without being as suppressed by society

we aren't enacting the changes ourselves, we're just creating an environment for humanity to better itself

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rahul posted:

Why this is the case is a very interesting question. Is this part of some kind of agreement to limit the power of Ur to a manageable level, due to some kind of divine Cold War type situation? Or do the powers that be feel that technological advancement is too risky for some other reason?

it's probably just the fact that blooded men, at least so far, have been sufficient to safeguard Ur from the ravening hordes of demons and otherwise

between that and the large amount of subsistence labor needed to simply make society work (farm labor, etc,) there just isn't much room for innovation, and what little there is gets stamped out by the social order

this is why we should try to make things different in Kavodel, try to find the languishing scientific and practical minds of the region and concentrate them in our city, where we can encourage their important but totally mundane gifts in the betterment of all our people

our extended lifespan plays into this well by literally breeding out the distrust of change as the existing generation dies and a new one replaces it, making the ball roll downhill

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, what's on the scrolls is probably unimportant -- their value is in the idea of parchment as a storage medium

i expect to have a full-on scribe house with dozens of employees constantly copying scrolls inside of a generation :whip:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A totally random theory on Toadiya increasing our [???] -- what if Toadiya (and the roc) were put in Ur by El/The Melachim as tests? Perhaps they're meant to be slain, so that men might prove their worth and sharpen their skills and their bloodedness or whatever. Besting one of the trials results in the favor of the divine, or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Outrail posted:

We're good for technological revolution of Ur, as long as we don't gently caress with kings or proclaim ourselves God King of Ur.

Yeah, this is wise. The safest (in terms of preventing ourselves from becoming a ravening hunger demon) is going to be through social reform rather than adventure. (Adventure appears to be more expedient, but far more dangerous to causality.) We need to turn Kavodel into the scientific center of Ur; attract the brightest common human minds we can find, and provide them a place to act out their brilliance without the fear of social ostracism. Retire from the Balls of Labaras (put Uriel or one of our children in charge,) and focus our efforts on building and protecting Kavodel and any other mines we establish in the environs. Use the money from this to fund caravans to the other cities of Ur. Spend time in the cities, find the best common minds with the best ideas, and bring them to Kavodel.

This way, we're actively improving the lot of mankind overall while allowing it to come from mankind itself. Given the divine's obvious favor with Ruth's manhood trial, I think it's safe to say that at least a portion of the divine powers aren't exactly on the same page as society's norms.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I mean, we don't have to disclose to our Balls that we received a divine gift at all, do we? Is it going to be patently obvious that we received one to anyone in the vicinity?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress yeah! kid got a brain in his head. Mighty orchard brand pomegranate juice is gonna be a huge success I think.

mighty grenadine

alright let's back up to the previous vote and transcribe the mighty book of mixology and open the best drat bar in ur

just kidding

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

B I

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

S :stonk:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reassure Jael that we aren't mad at him, that we understand that he's just a messenger

2A 3F

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hey let's not torture the obvious loving patsy of the divine forces here

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i am in favor of Team Ninja because it can be done along with Team SimCity 2000BC

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:negative:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:f5h::shepface:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arkanomen posted:

AT the very least we should take time, like half a year or a few months and train them in all the Enkidel family basics of hunting, finding food and water, starting fires, upheaving social and technological doctrine, eating strange things and the bow.

we'll probably have to take a step back when it comes to toilet training though

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

H then G

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Question: The iron deposits Snarls found -- what side of the river are they on? Would we have to cross the river to get to it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Nemo posted:

Labrodaras

this is now canon

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

my colon is augmented

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blasphemaster posted:

Have fun upgrading all those guns you won't use because stealth punches and tranqs are the answer to everything.

wait, you could upgrade guns in DXMD?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Regarding the trees thing -- it's obvious that Samson is just reaching for justification for rejecting this culturally-inappropriate metal, but he does have sort of a point. Charcoal production is probably going to become endemic very, very soon, and its effects on the surroundings (or just its effects on how far loggers have to travel between civilization and where fresh timber is) could become problematic in a generation or two. It may be worth our while to engage in some arboriculture: instruct wood fellers to plant new trees in the wake of their logging operations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FaustianQ posted:

G. Instead of approaching iron as fit for weapons or armor, push that it's great abundance makes better use for tools in farming, building, and the like. This would free up copper and tin to be exclusively used for arming the men of Zepath, enhancing both our ability to prepare for hardship and our ability to protect ourselves. Ask for permission for enough smiths to begin replacing all tools as fast as possible with iron. Further, ask that we be allowed to personally (also known as with Adina) experiment on creating blooded iron weapons and armor, and for the safety of Zepath and Ur (Read, Donut) have all samples emplaced in a vault in Kavodel, only to be unsealed and the contents within used in direst of emergency.

Isn't Blooded Bronze pretty rare? It was my understanding that it wasn't the sort of thing every Ur-Tom, Ur-Dick, and Ur-Harry had laying around. Same goes for metal tools of any kind, really. I think the opposite is probably true -- iron should be what's used by the common man, and Blooded Bronze the provenance of the Blooded. If Blooded Iron becomes a thing, then re-evaluate at that time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I mean, I wouldn't take Samson's "trees" argument as anything other than him floundering to provide an actual reason to distrust iron. If we redouble our tree planting efforts and wave it in his face, he'll just find some other excuse. That being said, it seemed like a good point on its own, despite Samson's reasons for bringing it up, but it sounds like our loggers are already plenty responsible in terms of replanting what they take.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AlanFrost posted:

Plan Zybourne Clock

imagine four of our balls at the edge of a cliff

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

1A
2T

Regarding T -- it may be worth our while to build a vault for our goodies, like the laurels and any other divine boons we get along our path. If I recall correctly, in other cities, the vault is typically inside the temple, right? If so, we should combine tasks here and build a temple with a vault.

Alternatively, try to reverse engineer the parchment we found, learn how to make more, and build a scribe house and/or library.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

you'll get the update when you're older

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i was right, the update came when we were older

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

B

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I need a link to the Madgod thread anyone have it offhand?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529830&userid=129241

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:f5h::shepface:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

B. Anyone gives us any lip about it, we just say "mercy is never misplaced" and move on with our life.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

1. G H E. I'm Team SimKavodel. We need to work on improving everyone's lives, and train a military. I'd use my third vote on more SimKavodel stuff, but our [???] is going to require our attention with word of our exploits spreading, and the worship-favor-belief-birthdaycake-blue-five resulting from that accelerating it.

2. Reverse engineer parchment/papyrus. I'm not sure if this is something we can do with our 5% time or not, though. Not as important as my 1 votes, if so.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Outrail posted:

Family?? Why are we cosying up to people who will be dead in a few centuries? Better to focus on the wider population.

Because we excel at everything we do. Anything we invest in becomes exceptional. Investing into our family makes our family exceptional. What better thing to spend our divinity on than ensuring our family becomes badasses? Centuries from now, men will boast about being descended from the line of Endikel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

C: 19

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the zepathalapod alliance will stand for 10,000 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arkanomen posted:

It's written and they all die screaming. Even Snarls. He dies last.

lol if you think we wouldn't eat snarls first