Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I think they are hoping for more of a team sport. Are there any team archery events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I just finally caught up after a week of reading and had a question. I read we invented pulley systems and mechanical advantage a while back - did anyone ever invent crossbows, ballistae, or compound bows? Blooded bronze should make such things possible, if heavy. Also, did we ever make any slingapults like we saw earlier?

The granaries and warning towers are one good way to prepare for the coming war, but we should also be building - at the very least - the war machines we've seen others use. Developing iron is the first priority, but we've seen other technologies as well.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

B
E

My third vote would be contingent on the answer to this question, but don't bother waiting because it seems like it will be I in a landslide:

Should I have crushed the Melachim worship of the heretics more thoroughly, by claiming the divine intervention through sacrifice was a "special revelation from El," or should I have insisted that such things were not a "special revelation from El" and by doing so, essentially encouraged Melachim worship? If you don't answer, I will assume the latter, as it is the logical consequence of what you have stated before.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My question was skipped, so I'll ask it again:

Should I have crushed the Melachim worship of the heretics more thoroughly, by claiming the divine intervention through sacrifice was a "special revelation from El," or should I have insisted that such things were not a "special revelation from El" and by doing so, essentially encouraged Melachim worship? If you don't answer, I will assume the latter, as it is the logical consequence of what you have stated before.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Waci posted:

The Baitel Bureaucracy Bosses would kill us before 7bird did.

I am reluctant but intrigued.

You think Ur will survive more than a couple of years at best without the protection of Baitel? The melachim are right to fear and distrust us, we've clearly demonstrated that a large part of our personality is that of a murderous madman.

If you want answers and don't care about what happens to the people, option A is way more efficient than any 7bird or hunger demon terrorist plan anyway.

If you want power that we are actually in control of, well, the only way we know of that can deepen our well is Ishamal, so we'd better not piss him off too much.

If your goal is to FEED, your best bet would be to convince the majority of posters that that would actually be a better or more interesting game. I'd suggest a social justice angle for that. Ur is very conservative aside from the heretics. The only realistic way we could get an end to slavery or equality for women in the next several thousand years is to enforce it as part of our demon god cult. Your best bet is to consistently make the case that El worship is inherently wrong because of this, and that feeding on the privileged oppressors is actually justice that will make the world a better place, or something.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Look at Tanaach where was the Baitel brigade when that happened? They weren't anywhere and other than a pitiful sorry from Jael they've done nothing about it. Baitel might protect the doughnut but, it does nothing for the rest of Ur. Its time for Zepa's lands to secede :getin:.

There's a good argument to be made for that. However, Tudiya is so much stronger than us that the only way to accomplish that would be to FEED on Ishamal and him, and hope to quickly gain the strength to be able to FEED on the watchers as well.

This is all moot, though, because I believe that opening the door before the last retcon merely turned us into a hunger demon, because after the first retcon Diog changed the rules such that we could no longer control a hunger demon. I'm pretty sure feeding would just be another immediate game over, now.

That's why it only makes sense to be an El Fundamentalist and play sim city 3000bc for a while, at least until everything we care about is dead, as other posters have noted.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Hey I know! Why don't we give Paebal the choice before the memory wipe? Also we tell him it's the will of the Melachim, but now that he knows, the choice is mind wipe or banishment.

Ishamal already said that wasn't an option, because the mind wipe would have to be way worse if we asked him and he consented. Right now he only has suspicions of a mighty jump, but that would be confirmation.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I wish the capybaras were really a dwarf fortress hack like he joked about a while ago. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun to mess with.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

If we choose not to mind wipe Paebel, what steps do you suggest we take instead? How can we more effectively prevent any misguided non-El worship, without doing anything that is clearly wrong?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What should we do to prepare for the army of 10,000 40-foot tall giants that will likely be here in the next several years, after they interrogate any human survivors that went back to the destroyed village and come here seeking vengeance? Their civilization seems to rival the size of Ur, or perhaps be even larger, so 10000 may even be a low estimate.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

May we explain to Paebel and the rest of the heretics how limited the Melachim really are? What exactly constitutes a "special revelation?"

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The last time we tried to sit down with him and tell him the Melachim don't like what he was doing, the only thing he took away from it was that we talk to the Melachim. Diog warned us multiple times it was probably a bad idea to have the conversation, but the thread couldn't image how he could take it the wrong way. Trying to explain anything to him is counterproductive.

I see. Perhaps, rather than explaining things to him, questioning him could produce better results. The reason our trip is being sworn to secrecy is that much of what we would like to tell him can be figured out from clues during the trip, and we were told we could speak of the trip to each other.

e: It seems like the mind wipe is going to happen, and afterwards questioning him should be safer. Rhetorical questions, like "Why are we protected from powerful demons while in Ur, while we seem less protected the further we go away?" and "Why did we have to go outside of the village to sacrifice to El, or risk dire consequences?" He won't know the answers, but enough good questions should be able to destroy anyone's faith, as long as they are willing to listen. In any event, this cowardly refusal to engage with the heretics at all, instead trying to conceal all information in order to leave them a false, ignorant "free will," makes us exactly the same as the Melachim.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 12, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Sogol posted:

Ninja Powers
this is all in a ninja spoiler cloak

I think we need to take Enkidel's ninja powers to the next level and learn how to conceal ourselves not only from normal folks and beasties, but how to consistently conceal ourselves from the PtB and other interested parties. Clearly it's possible or we could not have received much of the covert aid we have.

We need to effectively address the constant and often hostile surveillance rather than constantly dealing with consequences, coercion, etc. resulting from that surveillance. Might not be possible at some absolute level, but we need to amp it up to whatever extent is possible.

We need to get so ninja that we can break in to Mt. Har with impunity, for instance. So ninja that we can just drop off 7bird's radar altogether if we want. So ninja that it looks as if we are peacefully sleeping in Kavodel when we are someplace else entirely.

We also need to master all this in a way that is so ninja that it's not clear we are doing it at all.

Sadly doing so might prove intolerably boring for voters. It would likely involve a lot of Ish's control exercise and getting our well about twice as large as it is now. Long, slow, probably boring.

In the meantime I suggest we start practicing being unnoticed. Being able to stand in plain sight without anyone noticing us. Being able to sneak up on remain unnoticed in the presence of Aaron, Ish, Tudiya, etc. There might be some way to enlist Snarls in this effort.

Essentially we need to fully learn to do things without attracting attention. Given our last conversation with a celestial body and all the emphasis on concealment, the way the Melachim go unnoticed, etc., etc. I feel there might already be available energy in this direction.

An ultimate goal would be able to do things like fly completely undetected by anyone anywhere. We might even find that our wings have properties that can be use for concealment in general, given that by their nature they remain undetectable to all senses of most beings most of the time without us having attempted to learn or practice anything about that. Maybe we can learn how that aspect of our wings work and master it to some extent before practicing flying and such anywhere? Essentially learn to deploy our wings as a full on cloaking device.

Ish has implied that we can and will learn concealment (once we have strained enough soup successfully). I suggest we make it a priority, explore avenues related to the inherent properties of our wings and actively practice almost all the time as we go about daily life, wherever we are.

I agree completely. We have a big advantage in this regard - the Laurels - and we should make recharging and studying them a priority.

More questions for Ishamel:

What is the relationship between the water in the well and souls? Do demons increase their water or well by eating souls? Can we fight them by liberating souls from within them?

Can you help me recharge(or re-leaf) and study the Laurels?

Will you eventually teach me to use "ball trance" or "arrow time" in a safer way, as long as I don't go below a certain "reserve" level of water in my well?

Is experimenting with well abilities verboten only because I might waste too much water in my well, or also for some other reason?

((i don't remember if this actually happened outside of the retcon, ignore if it didn't))
How are my balls using the water in my well on their own? Should I prevent them from doing that? Is it safer than using the water on my own?

Why does the water in my well increase more quickly when I do impressive things in the sight of my balls? Is this dangerous

Does the 'water' contained within the boons El granted me after sacrifice equal to the 'water' in the sacrifice itself?

Is it El himself verbally responding to the sacrifices in the priestly language?

Could anyone get a similar divine response with a sacrifice containing enough 'water', or is someone of high bloodedness or other such lineage required?

May I experiment with sacrifices to El, for example by having Paebel sacrifice something of very high 'water' on his own?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

We need to get Ahaz and Lefkandi to work together on developing as much of the technology we've brought back as we can, in order to build as many war machines and other force multipliers as well can before the calamity comes. Even if we get really lucky and 10000 giants don't march up in a couple of years, Tudiya seems convinced there will be another large invasion at the next jubilee. 30 years is just about enough time to develop a few useful basic technologies like iron/steel/bnaimokt weapons, slingapults, and crossbows, if we really push it.

I do remember reading - maybe in the Judah thread- that bronze here is able to start fires with a flint, which it does not in real life. If the laws of physics and metallurgy are different, we'll need more in-game sources of knowledge in order to really push technology, which is probably the point of changing those laws. However, the first step is to build those better bellows forges, and use the new hotter temperatures to re-examine all of the studies we did on ore and ore mixtures before, including the semi-supernatural knowledge we got about the giant metal compositions with "iron plus other things we can't name". Ahaz, as a mining and ore expert, would he helpful for this.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Also, as an aside, I think it is quite reasonable that Enkidel would be interested in developing technology or science now that he's had all that knowledge pass through his mind, even if he wasn't able to retain any of it. Just the knowledge that all that is possible, that there is a "natural law" that can be examined and exploited, is a GIGANTIC step.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We have to figure out charcoal first. It probably won't take too long since we saw all the charred wood in the forge at Gebek, but just having the bellows and the better smelter design isn't enough.

The next time we get a semi-apotheosis, we really need to vote for trying to retain some of that knowledge. I cringed every time we chose short-term gain over something that could actually help humanity survive the coming storm, and even though the short term benefits gained seemed urgent there were several times we could have done without them.

That reminds me:

What is the seemingly infinite knowledge that comes through my head during a large sacrifice? Is it sent by El, or related to his touch in some way?"

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

This is a question for Diogines, not ishamal. Pardon if it has been asked before:

It seems like the telepathy color and font of divine communication acts as a "signature" for the being communicating.

Does the red hebrew we sometimes "hear" at sacrifices always sound like it comes from the same person, or different each time? Did the yellow hebrew we heard in the smythos dream sound different than the red hebrew we heard at sacrifices later?

Did these sound different to the yellow english that the Doom of Tanaach used to try to trick us?

What did this telepathy or whatever it was feel or sound like in general?

When we first sacrificed giant-orbs, there was maroon hebrew text and also blue letters in another language, telling us not to bow before demons. Was this two different beings speaking? Did they seem familiar?

For Ishamal:

Would eating a 'magic' or "presence-filled" item be as demonic and blasphemous as cannibalism, or on the same spectrum? If not, would it restore wellwater/Elwater?

What steps can I take to minimize "enthralling" people, other than concealing the wings and always giving glory to El? Can I sacrifice my wings to El?

I believe developing my humility and self-control is needed for me to avoid falling to darkness if and when I must choose death over betrayal. How can I convince those parts of me that Hunger, that want to turn to "magic", or that seek worship, that such things will lead only to despair, as I have been shown and told again and again and again?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Diogines posted:

This is formally retconned in light of strong Goon response to the contrary. You didn't ask the question, Aaron did not give the response.

Saying how YOU feel about things is always tricky and I try to avoid it.

You did not call Ahaz a disappointment and your relationship with him is fine.

I don't know about this. I think errant thoughts or even statements that people then feel guilty about or retreat from are a very common part of human psychology and experience, and us saying that and then feeling guilty about it and resolving to give Ahaz more attention is very realistic.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

BoneMonkey posted:

It's either that or talk where diog can't read it. Which doesn't seem that fun for him.

The PtB can read our thoughts and our thoughts are in this thread. Also there are no secret plans for Ur domination. We are just gonna chill and shoot bows.

If you knew that a potential adversary was constantly reading your mind, it is plausible that parts of your subconscious mind would try to conceal some thoughts, perhaps by not bringing them to your conscious attention.

It is up to Diog whether such psychological theories are true in Ur, and also how effective such efforts would be.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Greggster posted:

I think so too!

Question for Diog (actual question this time)
How are women percieved in Kavodel? We're already heretic town #1 who have abandoned slaves, and we've raised our daughter to be (a literal) man. Surely this must've affected the social status of women as something more than just something for the men to stick their mighty spears in to breed more children?

...Would it be too much to allow (even as far as pushing for) women to use bows in war?

How about getting women to crew the hundreds of slingapults and ballistae we should be building? We need a wall, not to keep things out, but to serve as towers for these devices. In this way, the common people can actually contribute to fighting big nasties, instead of just getting pasted and accomplishing nothing. A direct hit from one of these could at least knock or slow a lesser demon down, assisting the Mighty Man doing most of the fighting.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TheCog posted:

We have no idea how to build a ballista and its a closely guarded secret of the academy at batiel. So we'd have to figure out how to build them from scratch or steal the knowledge.

Giant Bow + Pulley system(mechanical advantage) that we already designed. We saw them, and we know they are possible - that's the hard part. Let's put some Ahaz or someone on it, at least.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zahrkon posted:

Ballistas are not bows nor do they use pulleys to store energy, they use torsion springs and are more closely related to mouse traps than they are bows. A bow Stores energy in its limbs instead. Also pulleys don't release pent up energy well unless you use cams which are not a thing we know of yet.

Thank you for the explanation. In this case, our initial trials would likely fail, but it's possible that even a giant mighty man powered blooded bronze reinforced bow, mounted on a tower and with commoners passing up bolts, would be more efficient than literally throwing rocks. Ahaz or Lefkandi may also be able to improve on that later.

We also should definitely be able to build slingapults - we should have complete samples captured from at least one of the wars, right? Building those on top of towers should provide a range advantage against any that enemies bring.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

D. I don't understand why we took all the credit in the first place, sure it increased our reputation but that wasn't worth being a source of secret shame all these years.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Planning to beat Barkof is probably premature, but spying on him or trying to track him down is a good idea. Is there a group of people we could send that would be most suited to that?

And about telling Tudiya the truth - we can frame it in a way that sounds better. We don't have to give him every detail. "Uriah is the one that convinced me to stay when I thought all hope was lost" is true and does not reflect too badly on either of us.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Why don't we question Uriah in private about how he learned his special abilities, and compare and contrast them with our own?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Diogines posted:

You have before. Some of his previous responses were roughly:

A. I tried copying a noise I heard the King or a Mighty Man made and it just worked?
B. A., but it took him a while to "figure it out" (Much more this than A)
Or
C. It just sort of... felt right?
Or
D. I don't know! I tried it and it just... worked!

This has happened a number of times over the years as Uriah has shown unexpected abilities, often in times of great duress but by no means only then.

I wonder if we could get Ishamal to try to train him, or at least talk to him. I don't think trying to teach him control techniques we've learned would help much, but it can't hurt much. Maybe meditation would help him control his emotions better, if nothing else.

Maybe if we got him to idolize Snarls he could work from his [???] instead of ours.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

1.D - Asakandi

2. Explain to the heretics that they were insufficiently circumspect and now we have to sacrifice their statue to El

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

There was a good discussion, in the Judah thread I think, about what that reason was recently. Basically, the game is a "simulationist" roguelike, so multiple deaths should be about as common as in dwarf fortress or any other roguelike, even with an overpowered character. It is the nature of roguelikes that you can either save scum or continually start over with multiple characters until either blind luck or metagame knowledge allows you to win. When we did start over with another character, interest dropped off a cliff.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

Oh yes!

H: Talk with Ish basically tell him "Look, I'm not trying to circumvent your order to not mess with the social order, but this needs to get out so we have a chance. I'll take no power from it.

Then G: Tuydia, these are the weapons with which we will push back the demonic hordes. Man has to fight back, and with the weakening of blood we need to let those weaker fight harder this is it. I'm going to send out weapons and instructions throughout Ur, if they decide to use them, good. If not, so be it.

This, except no ultimatum about "I'm sending this out." They would probably react poorly to that.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I think that selling iron as inferior to blooded bronze is how we can get Tudiya to at least let us mine and use it in relative secrecy.

If it was superior, it would be heresy, but because it is inferior to blooded bronze, and everyone Labaras cared about was presumably his blood and thus highly blooded, it makes sense that he wouldn't have bothered telling people about it. Now that blood is thinning, it can still be useful to commoners and also might help them contribute more at the next monster attack.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I don't think we have the in-character knowledge to make steel anytime soon, but we should still be able to start experimenting with alloys. If copper is weak until you mix it with tin, it follows that iron may be stronger when mixed with something else. However, blooded iron needs to be the highest priority. It will be interesting to compare blooded iron to giant and bnaimokt metal. I hope we have a blooded smith working on making some already.

Unfortunately, pure iron is not much stronger than bronze so it really isn't going to help us that much, except logistically, as you don't have to have a copper and and tin mine available. More and cheaper metal will also help our army a great deal. Hopefully Tudiya sees the merit of the logistical and economic arguments for it. I would like to experiment with iron arrows, as blooded bronze arrows have been our best weapon so far.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

We should also consider that Ishamal is much less likely to consider us wise enough for more training and information if we constantly annoy him. The tone of his recent responses sounds pretty drat annoyed to me.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

"Samson, obviously blooded bronze is superior to iron, but only blooded men can make it. Perhaps Labaras only saw fit to tell his highly blooded sons things useful to them in particular. However, iron could be tremendously useful to the unblooded, maybe even allowing them to contribute more at the next demon attack, even if it is useless to me and you. Perhaps it is something we could leave to them, to make their lives better, precisely because it is lesser and better suited to them? Obviously, it would need to be controlled and limited, to keep it from non-zepathan hands, and protect the forests."

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

D, and come up with some more persuasive arguments for why iron should be allowed to be used/given to the common people.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

The thing is, even if we re-double our efforts and take extra steps to minimize the environmental impact around Zepath, the donut sure as hell won't. Starting deforestation in the interior, along with more bloodshed, is a legitimate concern.

It's a good argument to make sure iron doesn't get to the donut. However, our oath to not interfere with the donut already takes care of that. Unless we choose to break our oath, we must take steps to prevent them from getting iron.

However, we should be able to use iron ourselves to increase the effectiveness of our army and economy. We just have to keep its manufacture a secret to only trusted smiths, like balls and their retainers.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Why did the doom of Tanaach bother sending all of that undead fodder if it was completely invincible short of a dragon nuke?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it planned on not revealing itself unless necessary. It held back until we had pretty much beaten the initial onslaught. Then it revealed itself when the watcher got involved.

So theoretically, at least against a lesser demon, the fodder fight does matter. Better equipped commoners means fewer dead commoners which means slightly weaker soul eaters.

1. A

Samson is right about everything he said, but none of that will matter if humanity is dead or enslaved.

2. H

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

We don't need guidance, it is obvious what the real choice is - a whole lot of people are either going to get killed by other people in donut wars if we use iron, or they will get fed to demons, with their souls writhing in agony for all eternity, if we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What about keeping iron secret by... painting it bronze, calling it "black bronze", and otherwise treating it like it's not a big deal, or telling the people we order to use it about its capabilities? Basically, hide its use as well as its manufacture, as well as we can. This will of course be difficult and limited, but it should at least buy us some more time. It's quite possible that in 30 years one of the other "fronts" of Ur falls, and then the donut will have other problems.