Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I am all about B, and maybe I won't be totally annihilated this time.

Also yes, I was looking for this thread in GBS earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

D. Mr. Whiskers demanded fish, and by god we're going to get some fish.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
C. Uncle Pagam
A. Father

2. I

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I'm onboard with Jorah because while I loved Beaky in Akkad, it's time to move on.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

C + M

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Boycotting Air. What has it ever done for us?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I am having flashbacks to when the Land Between the Rivers went horribly wrong.

And I love it.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

maxhush posted:

AC - Plan ask/tell about Asherah

Also voting AC. I want to see where Asherah fits in here.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Althair posted:

I didn't even want to marry the first time. Let's not double down. A

Agreeing with this sentiment. Naomi has been good to us but we absolutely don't need this right now.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I wish we could just... save the game, right here. So I can opt for Team Fishdad, just to see how that plays out, and then savescum my way back to being a reasonable protagonist.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Arkanomen posted:

You still didn't answer my question. What is your plan to avoid 1. Getting smote and 2. Not getting eaten by Asherah? Is it just to murderhobo as we please and get a quick power boost? I mean that's fine, but don't pretend it's going to end well.

Clearly the endgame for Plan Fishdad is to eat Asherah.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Coming out of the woodwork to cart a vote for D and G , hoping I'm not too late. I have no doubt the House of El would teach us great things, but I want a well rounded view of Ur, not just what they spoon feed us. Knowledge earned through hardship is worth more.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

B G.

We have one super weapon - the club - that we can't even use. It came with the same instructions - "bury this if you decide you're done with it, it's too powerful to let loose in the wild". Here is a super weapon we can actually use, and goons are saying no?

The guys trying to hoard the silver are exactly the same kind of RPG players that end games with 99 stacks of unused potions and phoenix downs. Live a little!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

You guys are discussing the Superbow in the context of our regular hunts, but I honestly think it's a useful tool just to have in general. Remember when we squared off against an enemy minotaur army and there were some kind of not orcs doing some kind of blood magic to captives? I seem to recall some discussion as to whether or not we could actually hit the captives with arrows as an act of mercy. I realize I probably dont have to make this argument, but it is a thought.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I actually wish we could stay in Baitel for a bit and train the bow with this guy. He sounds like he'd make an amazing teacher, and I don't doubt there's a shitload we could learn from him - like the meaning of the word laminated, for example.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Just a comment on the thread in general, from someone who has read every word to date:

I think there's a lot of criticism about goons being very passive in moments that might otherwise be considered clutch. I don't actually think it's the fault of posters here, entirely. This whole game, and the last thousand pages, have been filled with so, so many unknowns that it's incredibly rare for voters to be able to make an informed decision, and in the absence of that information, I think most posters just don't want to make a situation worse. When we end up in final, do-or-die moments, we generally get it right, because it's less a matter of making informed decisions as "well, this is the only thing left to do now".

By way of example, if we had even half of an idea of what that Norc on the altar was working on doing, I'm sure people would be more willing to make a decision that isn't just "watch with jaw agape". Are they teleporting off? gently caress it, pepper them with arrows, they probably wouldn't even chase after us if it means getting left behind. Are they about to start scrying for us with some sort of magical divination? Then I think we'd uniformly be all about getting the gently caress out of dodge. The fact that we have no idea what's about to happen, other than "something bad that involves that woman getting stabbed", is why we're all over the place on this. I guarantee that if we knew the extent of the bad thing, we might even be trying to make a hail-mary shot against the Norc on the altar just to have a chance to stop it. I'm not talking explicit understanding of what exactly the ritual is, but some idea of why a standing army might want to stop moving and dig out what might be an olympic pool for blood would be great. Hell, I don't even know if that's what they're digging, it could just be that Enkidel doesn't recognize trench warfare for what it is.

On one hand, I do actually like the constant ambiguities that Diogenes gives us in the thread and in his writing, because it makes the little morsels of information we get that much sweeter. On the other hand, I'm sitting here wishing we had some Sobek-esque character that isn't a dog handy to give us some sort of basic guidelines to make decisions from, because the alternative is the endless flapping-in-the-breeze the goon collective finds itself doing. Instead, we all have to endure Tomn slowly interrogating every NPC we come across. :P

I guess what I'm saying, in a meta-expositional way, is that I really hope Diogenes gives us a bit more information instead of the trickle we've had for the last thousand pages. I love the conjecture about the rules of the universe and how our [???] bar works and all of that, but I feel like in terms of practical information that we can use to vote, we're a little thin.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I'm playing the conjecture game here, but I wonder if the armor / arrow-stoppage effect he has has more to do with the speed of something coming at him, versus it being metal or not. We have zero confirmation that the effect is tied to metal or not metal. What if his armor just blocks things coming at him at arrow-speed? Means you'd have to get up inside his range and probably crush his throat or something equally deliberate.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

B, and once we've shaken the very immediate effects of getting 1.21 jiggawatted: The dangerous part of this sword, at least as far as lightning is concerned, seems to be the tip. It looks like the lightning moves very fast, but that also means that it likely goes in a straight line wherever the sword is pointed.

Focus our ??? on the tip of the sword and continue to push it down towards the ground during our next attack. We've got some latent telekinesis or something that we've been training with Ish for god knows how long. Even if we nudge the tip of the thing a bit off-target, it might be what we need to create an opening if we can get him to miss a shot.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I've had a thought I want to share regarding how we might be proceeding with the Balls in future.

Let's bring Ishamal. I can't remember if we've asked him before - we probably have - but we're in a position to make a very good argument for him to come out of retirement right now.

There is a contingent of posters expressing remorse that we use Ish as a Mesopotamian Google all the time, instead of ever interacting with him more personally. I think part of that is because he is a sedentary, fixed point in Zepath, and usually when we get back into a position to talk to him we have just done [insert something stupid or important here] and need to get some idea of what it is we just did. If we have more regular interaction with him we will probably get a better understanding of his character and motivations.

Furthermore, he has already indicated that if we ever got exiled or had to leave for extended periods, he'd be coming with us. We're apparently that important to him. Well, we almost died out there, and it was partly because we made some bad calls, but also partly because we keep getting put into situations we have zero information about, like how to fight magic users.

We obviously have a nose for trouble - with Snarls, quite literally. We keep ending up in very dangerous situations like the one with Jes and we are not even halfway ready to deal with them yet. He has specifically indicated that we are not ready to handle or deal with a lot of the threats we keep coming up against, but he has also indicated that we need to keep our Balls close, if I'm not mistaken (that part is going from memory). The Balls are a constant pressure on us to keep going out and finding new threats to face, and he knows that. At worst having his guidance could help us avoid things that we're not ready to tackle. He doesn't want us experimenting? Fine. Help us avoid situations where we end up face-down in the dirt and wondering if we can stir someone's brain soup from a distance because we literally don't have any good options.

As a practical game matter, part of why we were able to progress smoothly through the Land Between the Rivers CYOA was because we had Sobek handy as a constant advisor. I'm not saying we wouldn't make Ish drink himself to death with a constant barrage of questions, but the Goon Collective keeps getting stuck on really weird or ill-advised-in-hindsight choices that I think stem from a lack of knowledge and understanding about the rules and mechanics of how things work in Ur. Having Ish along could really smooth that out.

I think it's entirely possible to get a response to Ish going that would bring him out of retirement and get him to come with us on our next outing. I don't want him as a crutch for the game - I'm not expecting to bring him along to kill an Orm for us - but as a sort of lubricant to make the game a little easier for us going forward, because right now every big vote seems to end in calamity.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

G - Spear through the eye aimed for the brain, going for a quick kill. Put it out of its misery. Mercy is never misplaced, but B is closer to the mouth than I would like to be.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Please don't make any permanent changes to Snarls, guys. We don't know for sure how that'll play out. I'm afraid of a scenario where Tudiya notices witchcraft on our dog and decides Snarls needs to be put down, or we end up getting forced into exile with him to keep him alive, or something stupid. At least dog armor is removable.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Can't be Guards-The-Pack without a pack though.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I am going to die laughing when she returns with an offer and can't get it to burn on the altar, no matter how flammable it is.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Couldn't Snarls be used to get a better early warning? I mean, send Snarls with one of our Balls to scout and confirm the threat, get an immediate response via Dognet, then figure out how to respond once we know what we're up against.

e; fb but with the caveat that i don't think the folks back at Kavodel would necessarily take orders from a dog.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Okay, here's a thought that is absolutely experimenting but might be feasible. Outside the box thinking might seriously help here, since yelling El ever-louder is not yielding any results here.

We've had some light training from Ishamal to be a soul anchor for our own soul - to prevent us from being detached from our own body. Throw all our effort into casting that net wide. The spirits are now all tethered to us. Believe it. The souls are fish upon the tides and we are the fisherman. Save them from the terror of the deep.

This might do nothing. This might start dragging Enkidel west if it works, which means we need to dig in. Or, in the best case scenario, we can halt the drift. We cannot let the demons feed.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2015 around 19:05

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Diogines posted:

You voted more than once not to use unknown powers, arrow time or to experiment. You can override that with the support of 80 percent of the voters in a single vote, this is no different than the last ones on that issue.

I think this as good a time as any to break that ceiling. Tanaach is in the balance, and Kavodel right behind it.

The way I see it is one way or the other Rimush just waged a goddamn war out there and the demon is most likely hurting. If we let the thing feed, and lick it's wounds, we may have an unwinnable fight afterwards. If we deny it the sustenance it's trying for, it may be weak enough for to be overcome, or it may even retreat back to the deeps like Eyescream did. We have a clutch moment right here to shift that balance.

Which is not to say that attempting this will even work! If it doesn't, and nothing happens, we have nothing to explain to the higher powers. If it does work and we catch flak for it - well, we're trying to clean up after them right now, aren't we? Mt. Har is not working and the balance can't be allowed to swing too heavily towards the demons or else all the free will in Ur won't be worth a drat after everyone is eaten.

I will also mention we're not doing this entirely blind as Ishamal has at least started teaching us some of this.

Let's do it, goons. Cast the net wide.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Diogines posted:

You have no idea how to do this. You know how to anchor yourself(maybe?) to a small portion of your body. A foot, a part of a shin, a part of a foot.

This is the equivalent vote of voting I build the Bow of Esau!

You know what a bow is and you know of the fabled bow of Esau. You could make a crude bow on your own to hunt wild game, not even a great one. That knowledge is not sufficient to make the Bow of Esau.

The way the Capybaras see it, this is basically the same thing. You can try, expect to fail. What you want to do, if it is even possible is grossly, vastly beyond your knowledge and experience.

By analogy, I'd settle for a crude net with a lot of holes, then. And these fish want to jump into the boat to avoid being eaten.

I'm just trying to come up with something feasible in the face of vote options that just continue sliding towards defeat. If it doesn't work, at least we took advantage of being in the right place to try.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Out of curiosity, do we see any blue soul equivalent for the Fishmen, even faintly?

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2015 around 20:22

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I wager the altar smashing brings El's personal attention and fury - at which point he might notice the giant city-sized monster and nuke it while dealing with us. Maybe we just haven't gotten enough notice from on high yet!

I believe the Watcher is on the up and up.

Smash dat altar.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I have a hunch the reason we're running into a monster here the way to giant land is just so that we as players have some familiarity with our characters new buff status. We haven't actually taken Enkidel for a test drive yet since the time skip, and I feel like this is a useful way to gauge our strength before getting to giant land.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Jester Mcgee posted:

Changing vote from D to F.

Snarls is our common sense.

Snarls is this game's Sebek.

Snarlsbek.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

This place is glassed from a blast and even the glass has presence from whatever nuke went off here. This makes me think that the presences we feel are radition and we are a Mesopotamian Geiger counter. Given the range at which we can feel it, Mount Har would be hella radioactive which is why it would be "blinding to look upon" the top, i.e. Chernobyl-style fallout, and why nobody living can get up there. "Mightiness" as we understand it is just a positive mutation resulting from exposure, which is why people hanging around us start developing presences. I therefore nominate that we refer to ??? as RADs, not least of which because it lets us do rad things.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

B sounds good right about now

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Actually - are the presences moving up and down together, in concert? Or just scattershot? I do wonder if that's going to escalate into an attempt to quake the hole or stairs closed, whatever they are.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Task Manager posted:

M - trade with Uriah, and smash the "unbreakable shield while held by one of our line" into its face repeatedly with the strength of 125 men until it stops moving or we prove Tudiya a liar.

This is the stuff. This right here.

I'd personally like to add on that while we are doing this, have the men search for something useful, if only because at worst, if we can't kill this thing, maybe we can loot something useful from this place before we have to run the gently caress out of here.

So, M as above, D.

Edit: Diog added Task Manager's quote as O, so I'm voting O, plus D. I hope we wedge the shield in its stupid toothy dagger-jaws and just keep hitting it until its head comes off.

Diogines posted:

Some corner of your mind, perhaps only your own doubts, tells you that you have prostrated your face upon the floor before demons and defied the highest of El's commandments. You say no... no, it was not worship but some small corner of your heart calls you a liar, feckless and faithless. El will not help you. You are not worthy of his aid... you swear you almost hear a faint whisper of Jobe's voice in your ears, perhaps only your fears as you face this demon, that El has abandoned you?

This is the sort of foolish notion a demoralizing shriek-demon would want us to be afflicted by, and it's categorically garbage. I didn't vote at the bow/not-bow juncture, but no matter who did or how that played out, I firmly believe that if El exists and that's the entity that has watched us our entire life and seen everything in our mind, he's wise enough to know our motives for going that route were not to worship whatever we were about to encounter.

We're here spreading the light of El beyond his domain as muscle-missionaries and literally punching demons to smithereens. If that ain't enough for El, I don't know what is.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2015 around 01:42

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I agree with the theories that we're dealing with a thing that emptied his well.

Ishamal told us once that such a creature could not be ended by violence.

Maybe we should try dancing at it?

Dance on its stupid face when it's dead.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Bede posted:

D + have a ball bring the armor off the dude at the top of the staircase down + some of the the green rock

I bet its the armor that kept this thing from walking up the stair case.

Changing my M,D vote to this in light of Diog's mention that we'll risk breaking our arms if we whole-hog the shield ourselves.

I am not willing to take the risk that the shield wouldn't break in someone else's hands. It may be that the addition of our name to Zepa's monument is the precondition for the shield having its unnatural durability, and as far as I know Uriah has never done that. Of course, I idly speculate sometimes that this is all a simulation in a computer, like a big stupid (awesome) MMO, with checks for conditions like that, so who the hell knows!

quote:

The ones moving up and down are literally climbing the walls trying to get us.

Diog, is that what the presences actually feel like as far as their movement patterns go? Or is this something smaller, like them hopping in place? Are they doing it in time, or is it asynchronous? I know we can't exactly focus that well in the moment, but I did ask this before we charged down the stairs, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Diogines posted:

You are Enkidel and the world around you is as real as anything else in our game.

B-but the game world is clearly a fictional CYOA on a forum!

Quick, break the fourth wall and grab Diog's notes.

Alternative joke:

Of course we're not a brain in a jar, our brain got destroyed by the blast during the last invasion. We're more likely to be a left-ankle-in-a-jar at this point.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2015 around 04:35

«5 »