Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

the_steve posted:

In the fish's defense, Enkidel HAS fallen for similar traps before.
Like, sure, everyone knew it was a trap - that was never ever in doubt - but, there have been times where Enkidel plowed in anyways.

And in Damuzi's case, for a brief while, Enkidel WAS Damuzi. We have his memories just as if we lived them, because we did in a sense. It's a pretty strong emotional bond, it really wasn't out of the question to think that the trap had a realistic chance of success.

Plus it cost our enemies literally nothing to do it, they were gonna murder the city anyway, why not throw out an attempt that has a one in a thousand chance of working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Could the club be changed? Maybe carve it into two, smaller clubs, or arrows or something. Maybe a bow.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I blew through this thread over the last couple weeks so things are sort of a blur, but I had a question:

Has it ever been explicitly stated by someone who knows that the trio/pretty much any Melachim actually serve El? I've been reading them more as... I guess administrators who want the world to continue, but don't really seem to have any boss that we have heard of.

Not saying El doesn't exist, but it's looked to me that he is maybe an independent power. One who is maybe respected by other powers in the world, but not necessarily served by them? The advice from those powers telling us to stay in El's good graces could be interpreted less as a direct instruction from god, and more a bit of friendly advice from people who don't want to see us destroyed by said god after pissing him off in some way.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Polgas posted:

Maybe blooded bronze is the urian horse. You'd have to be Enkidel stubborn to make them if you are outside El lands.

I thought you meant Trojan horse for a second, and then had the idea of Enkidel making a giant horse statue out of blooded bronze to give to the fish demons as a trap.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
A

Uriah has been exceptionally patient with us through his entire life really, we should be a good friend and let him go nuts a bit.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
If B means let Uriah get his kicks in and then investigate any odd stuff, then
B

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
B.

But set fires on our way out and collapse the entrance out of spite as well.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I feel like any attempt at peace with the monsters is not even going to get started so long as we worship El and obey His will. But worshipping El has been pretty good for us so far, what with the super powers, wealth, respect of the people, and literal miracles.

So really the only option is to continue as we are until we are powerful enough to kill god, then we can do what we want.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Once when I was DMing a D and D game, I decided to give my players a challenge in the form of a door that has chains on it in the manner of a locked door from like Ocarina of Time or something, they spent a long time trying to figure out how to unlock those chains, but they lacked the key, skills and strength to do so after about an hour in real life time, finally one of them... tried the door and it opened, the chains were secured to nothing and were just decoration.

This obelisk feels the same to me, not that there is a simple solution that we have overlooked, but in that it's probably just... and obelisk and has no special properties and we should move on.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
F
The knife seems as good a method as any to me.

On a side note has the habit of flipping a coin to choose between two outcomes, or to gamble on, caught on at all in our culture?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
If there is an overhang on the top of the wall is there any reason we cant just chuck a rock or chunk of masonry at it from the ground to break off a piece of it so it isn't blocking our climb out?
A series of arrows might do the trick too I guess.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I just figure that reality relies rather a lot on what Enkidel believes, so the question is does Enkidel think that Ruth is going up the mountain? If so, they are going up the mountain.

I think we have been told that only men have the bluestuff, and only people with the bluestuff(or perhaps other colored stuff too?) go up the mountain, so the question is does Enkidel believe that Ruth is a man? Rather, does he know that Ruth is a man in the same way he knows that Kavodel is his?

I think this is the same reason the "bloodedness" of our city seems to be increasing, not because of anything anyone is doing in particular, but because Enkidel deep down thinks it should. I don't think it's a conscious choice at all, rather an instinctive one.

Our training with Ishamel might support that theory, lately he's been hitting us a lot, is it maybe to encourage an instinctive knowledge that we can't be hurt and that is why our invulnerability power reduces in cost? If so that suggests there may come a time when we can have it active at all times for now cost, because we just know that we can't be hurt?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I missed the vote but am super happy with the results so far.

We should maybe take this as a lesson that generally the best results are achieved by sticking as close to the truth as possible within the bounds of our oaths.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Couldn't we try just asking questions first? Or using our wits to get him to accidentally spill secrets? I assume Nusku isn't super thrilled with failure so maybe we can "promise" him life and protection if he talks or something, alternatively rather than ripping and tearing maybe do something more subtle? Would a fire dude be thrilled with being submerged up to his chin in water? If he has a flaming donger would that put it out? Hell we could just threaten to eat his soul if he doesn't talk, if his god told him anything about us he might find that plausible.

Torturing him is fine if all we are doing is punishing his crimes, but I don't think it's gonna get usable info that easily is all.

I think that Jeter probably could be convinced to let us take first crack at him as long as he or his dudes got to observe and that we didn't kill the guy ourselves, I imagine he'd like to be the guy who hands down the final punishment.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I want to know what the cultist knows, or rather what he wants us to know, but I don't want him to get any sort of reward or have a chance of gaining influence again, so I suggest we offer him a deal.

"We can't allow you to go free, but tell us what you know and you will not be killed, be kept safe, and even be paid for your services."

Then once he talks, cut his tongue out, geld him, and break his hands so that he can only perform basic tasks, then give him a job as a menial, perhaps under the supervision of the lady he attempted to sacrifice, pay him to sweep floors for the rest of his life in silence and pain. We don't break our word, he doesn't go free.

Failing that just leave him to the king to deal with and wash our hands of it.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
While I think killing the mage first is a good idea, we should remember that sufficiently Blooded men also could be considered mages in a way, we don't know what the kings abilities are and if he is anything close to Tudiya or another rulers level he might be a better choice to kill first, we do know that the actual wizards/warlocks or whatever we've fought tended to be pretty squishy, so we might have a better chance at killing him if he is awake.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I'll never understand the obsession with flying, we can already travel pretty good and flying is neat and all but we can't bring anyone else with us and I imagine we couldn't carry tons of stuff either.
Science on the other hand is cool, and smithing is about as sciency as we can get right now.
K

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
This seems like a great way to advance our skills, maybe the hammer knows how to make steel. I look forward to the next timeskip.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
A

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
A

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
A
I both want to get to the post trip wrap up and time skip sooner, and also I think it will be near impossible for us to do this part without metagaming, plus if something completely ridiculous happens it will be better to react to it naturally as Enkidel finds out in his own time.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
If Tuds is confident we won't be attacked during the next Jubilee if we stay here, then why not do that? Scout the enemy forces with embigenners or whatever and attack them right after the jubilee ends when they are depleted from their attacks, tired, and maybe bloated on human flesh. Destroy them while they are somewhere they haven't entrenched. It seems like sending a bunch of guys into a marsh to fight fish creatures is a bad idea anyway. Yes maybe a city dies, but we can perhaps convince the people of Dor or whatever to evacuate beforehand or something.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I don't think it is worship, I think it is belief, Tudiya may not make sacrifices to our name, but does he consciously or unconsciously believe in us? That might be a different story. For that matter, our belief in him might have been why we were able to fuel him at Acco2.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I question our obsession with the tree, everyone is telling us it is bad, regardless of their alignment with El, as far as we have been able to find out, it does nothing except for make decent tasting fruits and also eats blood. Uproot it, see if Everstrike wants to make anything with it, sacrifice it to El if not, or just burn it if that isn't cool.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
It's just not worth the risk to me, we now have word from the hammer that it isn't super special as a material plus a strong suggestion that we should get rid of it entirely, we know that blasphemous things should in fact be gotten rid of in their entirety because we were raised that way, it is a very real danger to people around it and even with the best containment it is dangerous. If an enemy wanted to discredit us all they would need to do is arrange for the tree to eat a kid, now you might say that would be hard to do, but have we pissed off a witch at some point in our life?

We can't make anything with it that is better than what we have now and won't be able to for a very long time so long in fact that we are unlikely to even invest the effort to try. I am gonna guess that the quality of a truly good artifact also comes from it's rarity, so even if we farmed the tree that in and of itself might make it less useful from a magical perspective, although I admit that is just a theory. Even without that though, it's dangerous, we can't use it, we don't really even plan on using it, and every authority figure we know has suggested in no uncertain terms that we should get rid of it.

It's just... another thing, a weird mystery thing that may never be fully explained, like so much else in this world. We could just accept that?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

You're right. Time to get rid of Puabi and Indor.

I mean, you're not wrong, from a practical standpoint anyway they could very well be pretty dire enemies and are in a position to really mess with us if they chose.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
We've seen before that Tudiya is sometimes willing to bend the rules if he can. I think he is well aware of our tendencies but is also smart enough to not let it be known that he is. Whether or not he read Uriah's mind is immaterial, I think he has his own sources of knowledge and makes his own judgments on most of our actions. I also think he is starting to trust that we can judge when to bend the rules ourselves and not push when he thinks that might happen. As long as we don't even hint to his face or in public that we have... made adjustments to his commands he is probably willing to not take official notice.

We'll never be able to have a conversation with him about that and get it explicitly spelled out of course, and being wrong on this would be pretty exciting so I don't how much to count on it of course.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I wonder what would happen if we tried to sacrifice ourselves to El.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
We aren't human at all so that is dodged neatly.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I was joking obviously, but I wonder if we can sacrifice no physical things? I mean if El likes sacrifices we worked hard for, would he care for dudestrength?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
L

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
We know one Donut city that is ruled by people we should be on good terms with I think

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I kinda think we should just keep it as a secret weapon, say we get grappled by a bunch of tentacles or swallowed by something, we have a small sharp murder device that can do some serious damage on us.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Why can't we just use ES for you know, forging things and stop bringing him out to look at everything that is a little weird or trying to use him to murder people or get around his "no help except for forging rule?"

Enkidel is fairly nice right? So can't he just let the hammer who loves El and forging forge things and praise El? We'd be all about it if it were one of our sons, or a daughter probably, or even a random stranger.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
1 F
2 C D F L O
3 B D
4 A
5 K
Spend some time making sculptures of our loved ones and important figures who passed, for our personal memories. They don't need to be large or extravagant, just accurate and not ugly, with perhaps a small descriptive plaque.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I second the idea of celebrating Every-Strike's birthday

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Yes, for his birthday we spend a week making the best cake we possibly can, then put it on our anvil and hit it with him.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Steal is cool and we should spend some time experimenting with it, but only us, Tudiya will kill us if we let it leak out. We should periodically revisit it and see if we can blood it, or break it, or whatever though.
We should also tell Tudiya that we solved the riddle of Steal just so he is aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I think we didn't feel sad when mom died because we never really considered her "ours". Our abilities seem to relate to changing reality based on things we "know" to be true, we know Kavodel is ours, therefore it is and we are distressed at the thought of losing it, we spent effort on Ruth even to the point of twisting the laws into a pretzel, she was ours. Our mom gave birth to us (probably) and raised us for a while, but we never truly "knew" that we had dominion over her, probably rather the opposite in fact, then she lived with Tudiya for decades too. She has never been part of our sphere of influence so any reaction we have to her death is simply because of our normal human emotions rather than supernatural domination shenanigans.