Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dawn of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FoxTerrier posted:

Diog just said that piracy doesn't exist yet...not that we can't invent it!

We're going to invent the printing press, aren't we?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dio, are we allowed to make negative votes?

If we are, negative vote for H
If we're not, vote for D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

the_steve posted:

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

This Changed my vote.

my dad fucked around with this message at May 22, 2013 around 16:24

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

UnassemblyRequired posted:

F! There's no need to attempt to shout save Jalitha when Jalitha will work just fine.

What if uncle thinks that we meant that Jalitha hurt us?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Theglavwen posted:

C: Straight forward, no chance of loving up, it'll get Jorah moving urgently back to where he needs to be, but not specify too much, so he arrives with an open mind. Saying 'Papa Hurt', or B, will probably make him think his brother has been hurt, or is in danger, either confusing him or pissing him off when he gets back and finds out his brother isn't hurt, or worse, may make him think Jalitha was trying to hurt his brother, delaying his intervention as he wonders if his brother has just gotten things under control.

Of course, I suppose Papa Help might suggest to him that we want him to help beat up Jalitha, but I doubt it.

Alright, you've convinced me. C it is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

B a 4-year old.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Canuck-Errant posted:

Edit: I made a gallery if people want to use voting icons.

For people who skipped this post, here are the images:

my dad fucked around with this message at May 23, 2013 around 23:09

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

C: Forest
A: Ocean
F: Father
B: Jalitha
H: Jorah
E: Pagem
G: Mom
D: Shore

Be a 10-year old.

I declare myself the founding member of the gently caress Time-Zones Party.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Canuck-Errant posted:

For this one - which may have been missed because it was at the bottom of the last page - I'm going to vote:

That wasn't a vote. That was a "Game Over" joke. Unless I'm horribly wrong about Dio's intentions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

What are the odds of Sky Giants being angels, I wonder...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RandomPauI posted:

This isn't a vote so much as a request.

Take the religious lessons more seriously

Volmarias posted:

Tell dad that you hadn't realized how important this was, and tell him that you'll pay more attention. And say thank you for being patient

Paradise Lost: Choose to be Responsible

Yeah, this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Followup question: Can we gently caress the earth?

King of Dragon Pass says yes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I thought that the suggestion was more of a case of bumping dad up as a priority, not completely giving up on other activities.

NO

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Do something useful.

Changed vote

my dad fucked around with this message at May 26, 2013 around 22:36

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

You know, even though I voted D, I have the feeling that the right option is the one that doesn't have an exclamation mark at the end. (And it's not HOLD THE GATE)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

It's probably wiser to let dad handle it and only do something if he instructs us to.

Yeah. Changed my vote as well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Resist the lure of exclamation marx! It's the slippery slope to communism!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Genpei Turtle posted:

Seconding this, and if Not-A is not a vote then B.

Seriously guys, what the hell? Are we supposed to be insane or have severe ADD or something? We just had an overwhelming vote to start taking our studies more seriously so that we can eventually lead the tribe as its high priest, and now we're willing to completely abandon it at the first sign of trouble? This sort of inconsistency is what got us smacked down hard in the last CYOA.

You were consistently mad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Get the hell out of there!

Changed my vote.

my dad fucked around with this message at May 28, 2013 around 16:55

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jng2058 posted:

I only see the one option that lets us keep the holy artifact, so let's go with that one.

Yeah, changing my vote to
Get out, now! (But take the shinies)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Bad Llama posted:

Jalitha is telling the truth and we're part of a giant fish worshipping tribe of cannibals that wants to be left alone. I think it's pretty hard to be a cannibal in a village of 140 when you have not seen ANYONE from outside the village for about 11 years.

For starters, 140 is a rather small genepool. There's either a lot more outside contact than we've seen so far or our people are more incestuous than the Habsburgs. That reminds me, we're a potentially incestuous tribe worshipping a cannibalistic sea creature that will one day rise from the depths and do terrible things, and we now have a reason to believe that our people are actually cannibals as well. We're living in the prehistoric Innsmouth.

Also, we've been treated pretty badly by everyone except for our uncles and our (real) mom, and have just seen our father turn into (more of ) a monster and die. Why wouldn't we want to hug Jalitha and get the hell away from our village?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Random Idiot posted:

Lots of people bringing in their modern day real world morality to a situation where it really has no place.

Discussion of this particular subject tends to end badly, at least in the threads I've followed.

My point is: We're a kid, we're frightened, and we want to go somewhere safe. Hugging Jalitha may be the wrong choice to make, but it is the right thing to do.

Adding crying to my vote.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I'm still wondering about one thing, though, why does everyone think that the strangers came to attack us? They seemed interested in trade, as far as I could interpret their actions.

Ego Trip posted:

If my dad started firing crazy fish lasers at the mob, I'd consider it.

*starts firing crazy fish lasers at the mob*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Don't provoke the giant.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hell yeah, a chance to be the king's stepson!

Maybe. It's a weird day.

Ask mom:
What made you think that the village people people from the village were cannibals?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ah, angels.

Mother, you used a different word for Sky Giants. An ange. What didn't you say an ange before?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hug mom.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

1. Be a happy kid for once and go make a friend.

2. The king is cool, and so is our new friend. Leave mom alone for a bit, she needs some time to recover.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

The dog must be named Snarls Barkley

Sure, this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SerSpook posted:

As far as J goes, I think it is probably a good idea to get to know the future king. Tudiya is a good man, and deserves our thanks. However, Danal is our future and will likely be someone that we journey with often.

This.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Not D, Not B, Not F

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FU

Afraid? Hell no, we're on an adventure!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I want to hold Dana's hand while doing so. The last thing I want to do is get Danal lost in the woods alone.

I would assume that this would be a part of F.

edit: CHANGED VOTE, see below

my dad fucked around with this message at Jun 8, 2013 around 15:35

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Damage control mode: ON

Changing my vote to:
NOT J, NOT R

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

We're poo poo at climbing stuff.

ADVENTURE TIME! (U)

Yes to the No votes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tsyni posted:

I think no votes are totally fine. They are just a bit annoying when everyone changes their vote because they love Jehovah. That's why I think you shouldn't be able to change your vote over and over, unless there is some discrepancy like with D/F this round.

First, El is not Jehovah.
Second, Of course I'd rather vote FOR an option I like than vote AGAINST some other option, unless that horrible option (from my PoV) has a significant chance of winning, and my chosen option doesn't. If we weren't allowed to change our votes, people who vote later on would have a significant advantage over people who vote early.

Why are people viewing the NO votes as confrontational? Hell, I voted for Asherah in our childhood choice, because I liked that option, and only voted against him later because he seemed too cartoonishly villainous for my liking. I even gave maximum points to the forest and Pagem options. As you can see, the options I like end up losing more often than not. Should I be upset about that? Did other Goons ruin my splendid idea about Og's life? I'd say that getting angry about people voting differently than you in a parliamentary CYOA on the Internet is... not a very good idea.

Simply put, as long as everyone's vote has the same weight, why would you restrict people's ability to choose what they want to vote for? Speaking of which, I'm assuming that the only reason why votes like "50% vote for A, 50% vote for B" aren't allowed is because they'd make jobs of our overworked volunteer vote-counters even more difficult.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Genpei Turtle posted:

Because they kind of are? Not intrinsically, but the way that they're being used. I think getting upset over a CYOA is pretty dumb myself, but you can't deny this thread is getting pretty adversarial--we've already had a mod pop in and tell us to stop reporting each other. It's best we nip this in the bud now before things get really out of hand.

The main problem lies with Goons who take other people's votes personally. Nipping the problem in the bud means not doing that and ignoring/reporting people who do. I'd like to stay away from "complaining about complaining" territory, so that's all I'm going to say. I assume that the mods are more than capable of dealing with any excess goon-drama.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's a classic tyranny-of-the-majority situation and something needs to be done about it.

Tyranny of the majority? What's wrong with the majority winning? Isn't that the entire point of the vote?
And why are you trying to generalize why people vote for certain options? (I'm addressing not just you but most of the other posters who participate in this discussion) There are a few people in the thread that are very loud about their reasons for voting (not)X, and you are acting as if they represent every person who voted that way.

The only real difference between us getting Og killed in a dumb way and making him the Great God of Goonganga lies in how much fun we're having while doing that. Stop trying to shoehorn in the voting procedure that would give your favorite kind of choice the highest chance of winning. Right now, everyone has an equal ability to participate, and a great way to say exactly what they want. Participating in a game is fun, even if you lose.

Making a very simple voting system like "1 positive vote, no vote-changing" would prevent people from accurately voting for their preferred outcome, thereby reducing their ability to participate.
Greatly complicating the voting system is a good way to sever a lot of players from the game. If it discourages people from voting IRL when serious matters are at stake, why the hell would someone waste time on complicated vote in an internet-based game? The thread would quickly devolve into a circlejerk made out of the most stubborn, spergy posters, and it would lose a big part of its charm.

Yes/No + Option voting is a pretty decent compromise.

People are not being marginalized in a CYOA. Most people here are not in voting blocks or whatever you'd call them. We're playing a game together, and we're voting for whatever option we like the most or against whatever option we like the least in this game that is supposed to be fun to participate in. Instead of having fun with the world created by Diogines and discussing the options given to us, we're arguing about the voting system, and anonymous voting of all things.

Now, on the topic of the actual vote, I imagine Og as a kid with a lot of bravado, and the ADVENTURE TIME (U) option represents that perfectly. Too bad it won't win.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tsyni posted:

With instant run off voting you could vote for this, and have your second preference...whatever you wanted, so if your first vote was eliminated (by having the least amount of votes) you'd still have a say in the direction we take. As mentioned, this gives people the luxury of trying to form the story however they want, without having to worry about blocking Ashera blood god options.

The thing is, it would complicate the vote enough to reduce the number of participants. I like Something Awful CYOAs, but I'm still frequently reacting to list votes with "Hell no, I'm not doing that!" I imagine that a lot of posters would be doing the same. CYOA isn't supposed to mean Choose Your Own Accountant.

I could be wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hate to break it to you but the thread is already losing a lot of its charm--we've had mod intervention, it's been downvoted, and we're seeing players leaving and/or thinking about leaving. You want to see the thread devolve into a circlejerk of stubborn, spergy posters, then let it continue the way it has been.

I disagree with you about the best course of action, but I can certainly see your point. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see.

«7 »