Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just blitzed all of Diog's posts over the span of about 3 weeks, and holy poo poo was that something. You're doing an amazing job, Diog, don't let the occasional frustrated player tirade get to you. Do, however, let the wrongvoters get to you. El above, you guys made some really stupid decisions along the way.

Voting for N, if that vote's still open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wait are people actually considering taking a detour to the ocean? The ocean full of innumerable and incredibly powerful terrors that would love to bag any army retarded enough to wander into their range?

Even if nothing happened, MuscleDad would rip our heads off when we got home for pointlessly risking a huge chunk of Zepath's resources in a vain hunt for personal glory.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hmmmmm.... either taking the Great Scrolls of Inquiry or not telling Chait about the incident. Our neighbors are about 4000 years ahe- mmmmm, sandwiches, but for some reason I've got a nagging feeling we desperately need the literal divine gift of the Scientific Method. Granted, taking and using those scrolls probably would've started a civil war with Zepath and the traditionalists, to say nothing of trying to get home alive, but still. And then I feel bad for Chait just because he's a cool dude with some obviously heavy poo poo in his past and we really hurt him :(

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The comedy option, of course, is that nothing happens on the Jubilee except one hell of a party and the demon invasion comes twenty years later when we finally think that they aren't coming at all.

No matter what I feel like we should have one final adventure before becoming king. Playing SimZepath is fun, but so is killing monsters and gaining divine favor.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah that's a question that I've been mulling over for a bit now, trying to force 21st century morals on Bronze Age Mesopotamia is hard enough as is, but then on top you have to consider that the upper class actually are inherently superior to the masses. It's an interesting philosophical challenge, for sure. Tudiya's view of a benevolent dictatorship-type thing where the Blooded are morally obligated to use their powers for the betterment of all seems like a pretty good response, actually, when you separate it from his ultra conservative attitude towards change.

OTOH, completely unblooded commoners are becoming more Blooded just by being in our general vicinity (and that is what's happening, no matter how much other characters may speculate that it's hidden ancestry surfacing). So maybe the nature of Bloodedness isn't exactly what we're lead to believe and the whole hereditary/Blooded nobility thing is still just oppressive Feudalism with a thicker veneer of legitimacy than our real-world version had. More learning is required, for sure, and I really want to see where this all goes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well maybe Bloodedness is being blessed by El. Or rather, some form of divine favor, not necessarily from El (my thoughts on Him are a whole different post) . After all, we're half divine, so maybe all the people around us who we like and want to prosper get a bit of the... divine energy rubbed off on them or whatever. The cool thing about being immortal is that you can perform experiments and collect data over generations, so we should see if people we really hate that tend to be in our vicinity a lot get more Blooded at the same rate that people we like do. Problem is I can't really think of anyone that we really hate who's also around us as much as our Balls/Kavodelians who we can use for that.

But yeah is it not obvious that we radiate Prosperity Rays, for lack of a better word? The harvests are always amazing and ever-expanding when we're around, and drop off when we're not. New veins of metal miraculously get discovered, the mines are ever-expanding, the people incredibly healthy, crime-free, and long-lived. Enkidel just passively makes poo poo better wherever he is, and though I can't conclusively prove a causal link because we haven't invented statistics, I'm about 97% sure that the Bloodedness of the people we hang around with increasing is caused by the same poo poo that improves the fertility of the land, etc. that we hang around near.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah we gotta do some science. Ruth is the outlier here in that she's apparently not getting any Blood or aging slower like the rest of the people we know. It can't be because she's female, because Naomi is aging rather slowly so it obviously works on some women. I think the Urian descent hypothesis might be on to something, let's get a Gebeban squire or servant or whatever that would let them hang around us and soak up lots of Prosperity Rays. When Dad's out of the picture or he lets the Gebebans marry Urians, maybe we can see if it works on half-Gebeban/half-Urian children.

Whatever Bloodedness is, it's not genetic. Maybe the capacity to absorb Prosperity Rays and grow in Bloodedness is genetic, but the latent capacity isn't and the eugenics poo poo among Urians is just that, poo poo.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh we're 100% in a Dominions game. That's what my thoughts on El boil down to, El is one of many extremely powerful beings fighting with his neighbors/other extremely powerful beings to become the Pantokrator or whatever this universe calls it. Sacrifices buff up his dominion so he wants lots of them, worshiping other god-competitors lowers it (obviously) so he's a jealous god, bluestuff is a special resource he gets for having claimed the Mt. Har throne which he can spend on super buff Melachim sacreds.

Only half kidding.

Please don't smite me.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 5, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yessssss my first delay this is amazing

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man I get to :f5: for the first time too!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm travelling today :negative:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1. AC
2. I

We obviously can't bring the Dorians along or this turns into a multi-city diplomatic incident and Tudiya yells at us for loving about with Zepath's foreign policy. Don't tell them that something's wrong, they'll just go home and start a panic, if they don't get all offended at the implication that there is trouble but they can't handle it first. Bribe them with some spears or whatever to make sure there's no hard feelings.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm most interested in the doormen question right now. what do our guys think about letting them come?

Word is going to get out about how pops believes poo poo is gonna get hosed soon, regardless of if they come or not. Additionally, the geezers are supposed to go to Dor fist then acco. So wouldn't it be correct to bring them? Also they should see how people are getting captivated and threatened with death, even though that's sorta paradoxical.

On top of this, it would be beneficial to the cities under Zepath's protection to have a hand in matters that concern them and the situation should be jointly handled like a big brother / little brother, instead of some servile thing where they're so weak they don't have a say.

I'm thinking they should come, but it'd be prudent to have everyone's council on this, especially E(poo poo I can't remember his name rn, the guy dad sent to jointly run this thing with us).

I'm also voting that we keep dad appraised of the situation as it develops

I guarantee you that Dad will be pissed off we bring the Dorians. He's a hidebound traditionalist, he doesn't see this as a cooperative relationship. Zepath, as the strongest and most Blooded power in the region, has to preserve the blood of Labaras and basically save our neighbors from themselves. It's not like an older sibling helping out their younger brother, it's a Broze Age patriarch who knows better protecting their 8 year old grandkids. You don't bring them along, you don't teach life lessons, you tell them to get out of the way while you conduct the grown-up business.

This isn't a perfect analogy, I'm phoneposting with 3 minutes to collect my thoughts, but TLDR it's a quasi-fuedal relationship between us and our neighbors, not co-operative.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 7, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Please do not go off-script until we're absolutely forced to, we've been steadily burning our credit with Dad and gaining precious little. We've still got plenty left, but it's shrinking and sneaky subterfuge poo poo will only hasten that. Sending a clergyman with a message is fine because that's how Ur works, loving around with other spy stuff is very emphatically not. Let's use this to gain some favor back with Dad so that we've got more buffer to inevitably burn, play it super straight and honorable.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Outrail posted:

What if he dies before we use that favor? Once he's gone it's all for nothing.

Dude's gonna be around at least another century or two barring dying on the Jubilee or something. And even if he does, we want him to like us as much as possible so he leaves us the keys to the magic vault or secrets we don't even know about yet. He's indicated at times that he's not fully confident we can be trusted with that stuff, makes me think we're kind of edging towards the keys mysteriously disappearing on his death or being held in Bronze Age escrow until the trustee likes us if Tudiya doesn't trust us enough on succession.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 7, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

J.

I'm honestly with Obel on this one, it's not our fight let's just do what Dad said and leave. But maybe there's an off chance we can still talk sense into the guy. I'm not too worried about things going sour, we can probably punch our way out of the city butt naked if we have to. And attacking an emissary that came under a flag of truce is justification for storming the place unlike the rest of the poo poo thus far, so let them just loving try to lay a finger on us.

T. Plan Brain Candy

A, for real this time.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I changed my vote to Brain Candy, should I make it a whole new post or just edit my old one?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, just making it super clear, vote changed from J to Brain Candy

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think the idea is march up to the walls, yell our message, and leave like the original plan was. If that doesn't do poo poo, then we stick around to... have another go at it on our lonesome? I'm not entirely sure, I'm really just voting for it because it's less insane than trying to incite a rebellion amongst the Mighty Men which will 1000000% piss off Dad.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It is a cunning stunt to make somebody come talk to us. We're doing the mourning rite for the city or whatever, because we won't have time to come back and do it later when they're all actually dead. If we explain that it's mostly to draw attention and make someone come talk to us, will all our dudes still think we're insane? Staying just an extra week or so is no big deal when the travel time is on the order of months. Especially since we can Enki-sprint home and make up most if not all of the lost time.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Diogines posted:

That description is less crazy I suppose. Though on your own, you do risk the king of Gezer and those Mighty Men loyal to him coming to kill you? They are probably pretty scared of you, but Ziusudra really hates you.

The problem with "Plan Brain Candy" on its own It own is that does not specify how you plan to deliver the message, just "if delivering the message does not work, then do this". So does that mean shouting it at the walls, trying to get a private audience, or the other options about the method of delivery?

That's a definite risk, but one I'm willing to take, especially when the alternative is breaking a whole bunch of traditions and trying to turn the Mighty Men rebellious.

Brain Candy themselves should probably come clarify exactly what they mean by delivering the message, but I personally read that as doing shouting at the walls like originally ordered by Dad, and then sticking around ourselves while the army leaves.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aw gently caress it, changing again from Brain Candy to A.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ark is hilarious angry, but also not even slightly wrong. If I'd been invested in this for a few years instead of a few weeks I'd be saying the exact same poo poo. All this bullshit above our paygrade really is draining, I just wanna play SimKavodel and build more water wheels.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Changing from A to H. Doesn't hurt to at least try now that it defaults to A.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah but that's not nearly as impressive. Any city can marshall 10 dudes standing on top of each other, how many can conjure a tower of ice in the middle of an arid not-Mesopotamia?

Actually that might make them think we're sorcerers or something and turn the people against us...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Crossing the walls without the king's permission technically counts as an invasion or whatever, yeah. The problem's not that we physically can't address the masses, it's the political ramifications of doing so. The ice tower/human ladder is a neat little sidestep, though King Z will probably still be super pissed (but he's gonna be no matter what).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I wonder if there are any Blooded powers that make people better bureaucrats/foremen/manager/etc. In the long run, Blooded super-Ahazes (or poo poo maybe Ahaz himself, and he just hasn't shown it yet) are way more useful for society than some buff dudes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Anything really abnormal, though? Like, Tudiya can stomp massive craters in the ground, is there some Might Accountant somewhere that can process a massive stack of spreadsheets in seconds? I guess society really isn't at the point where that kind of thing would be encouraged or noticed, though. About the closest thing to Excel workbooks we have in Ur are merchants' ledgers.

Let's find a merchant friend and see which of our Mighty Men can balance and verify their ledgers fastest.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Do we really know that it's physically impossible to recreate or even surpass the wonders of previous ages in Ur, though? I don't think the capabilities are irrevocably lost as much as the knowledge had been slowly eroded over generations by conservative bullshit like not being allowed to teach others your discoveries.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bloodedness and its associated powers aren't inevitably decaying either, though. Even if the Arrow of Esau and its ilk were made with real, proper magic and not just sufficiently advanced technology, we can still claw our way back to that level with enough time. Bloodedness is on the rise around us, if it keeps up for a few centuries (more likely millennia) we can be right back at Labaras calibre.

E: Needing Melachim help doesn't mean it's a feat that can never again be matched. Just gotta convince some to come help you again. My problem is with the idea that feats of the past are forever and irrevocably lost and no matter what people do they can't be matched. It might be harder, it might take centuries to win back lost knowledge and bro up to divine beings, but it can be done.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 11, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C, can we maybe not be dicks this one time after being explicitly ordered not to start poo poo?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 12, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If you're using the word "infiltrate", you can pretty much assume that ~70% of Urian society thinks you're dishonorable, cowardly scum scared of a proper fight. They really don't go for any of this cloak and dagger stuff all that much.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's not code for just the muskets, more the entire incident/society/etc. But yeah, lizard people who are 17th century Europe except isolationist live on Sandwich Mountain and we've got a mental block on even thinking about them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh hey that's a lot of posts for a quiet period, did Diog update ea- :yikes:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

F, why is everyone so intent on starting poo poo when we were explicitly asked not to start poo poo? We're here, yell the message, run like gently caress.

Who cares if the Gezerians call us cowards or whatever? They were gonna talk poo poo about us anyways. Just do the job, and leave before we start a war that Dad is very explicitly not interested in.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

SerSpook posted:

I think people need to read this pretty clearly. The most people we can dissuade from assaulting us from the very start, the fewer casualties they will take, as we can use a bit less force hopefully and there are fewer possible victims anyway.

Maximum shock here, RIP THOSE GATES OFF THE HINGES!

Alternatively: the best way to reduce the number of people we have to fight, hurt, and potentially kill is make it zero by not getting in a fight to begin with.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Brain Candy posted:

Yes, I'm sure dad will be happy we ran away as his representative. Totally overjoyed.

This but unironically. That's exactly what he told us to do. Dad really loves killing demons, and really hates killing humans. Good rule of thumb for staying on his good side, do as much of the former as you can and as little of the latter. Anything but GTFO ends with us killing humans. The logic is pretty easy for me to follow from there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I doubt that's gonna work all that well... and even if it does, what happens the second we stop holding the gates closed and turn to leave? We end up in a massive fight anyways.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Boonoo posted:

Ha, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I had been thinking that the king will just break the gate down--given that we're pulling it outward I can't imagine it would be that hard. We'll go tumbling rear end-backwards.

Holding the gate in this situation seems like a particularly poorly thought out plan.

Yeah please do not hold the gate, there is no conceivable way it ends well. I mean, it works for the next 45 seconds and lets us give a fancier speech with less chance of interruption, but about a minute after that we are so hosed. If Z doesn't just give it a swift kick and send us flying on our asses before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Outrail posted:

Explain to them why we're doing it. Because we really don't want to fight them, and have a few days to kill, and have literally all the advantages so can afford to wear them down.

Or just explain the plan to Ashael who'll think it's great and have him explain to the rest while we troll an entire city.

Edit: use very small words and try to make the two traditionalist knuckleheads understand the concept of non-traditional tactics. Then ask them how all our other 'stupid' plans worked out.

I'm all for unconventional tactics, but this one just ends with King Z standing in front of the gate instead of on top of the walls next time and attempting to beat our rear end when we get close.