Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Voting A because it's getting pretty weird here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Raserys posted:

Find out something useful from dad instead of talking about crab-people or whatever it is you do.

Ask dad why he's so angry all the drat time.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tell dad that you hadn't realized how important this was, and tell him that you'll pay more attention. And say thank you for being patient

Paradise Lost: Choose to be Responsible

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ask our father if he would consent to us taking every seventh day off, if we swear to being studious from now on. Everyone wins here, if he takes it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

the_steve posted:

C

Dad doesn't trust Jalitha. If she starts talking to these strangers in her native language, he's going to assume witchery is afoot.
We likely know enough to get the gist of what they want and go from there.

You're right that dad doesn't trust her, but we're likely to get another beating if we suggest this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So we only know a few words, but one of them is cannibal?

Seriously?

I can't imagine what kind of messed up stories she was telling us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

- we should probably grab that shark tooth. Maybe wrap it up in something. But yeah, fleeing seems like a good idea right now.

Yeah gonna have to go with H too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Uh, did she? More than a couple of fables or stories?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Disargeria posted:

Well since it's coming from the team that staunchly supports our abusive father over a bunch of kind strangers/royalty/giants and our own mother goons, I'm really not surprised they want to get us killed.

I believe this is more appropriate, though maybe I'm just bitter that we voted to suicide by alphabet agency in Moments.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Excellent, a chance to break from the past in the form of betraying our ideals. I look forward to the inevitable plot point where our supposed father returns from death and swears revenge.

Voting A because that guy was a jerk anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

Incidentally, here's the vote icon album if anyone lost the link. It just makes it a little easier to pick out the votes.

Can we get the OP updated with this album if this is going to be the preferred way of voting? Right now, it has

Diogines posted:

Welcome to Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens, a Chose Your Own Adventure style game. The format of the game is simple. I will lay out the scenario and offer options to proceed with. You can always propose an alternate path to pick. The most popular choice will be picked. Type as much as you like, but please indicate your vote by bolding your choice like this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

I would like to point out at this point that 3:F has been strategically not-voted to ONE... so you may want to consider picking your first choice. Or not! Vote as you so desire!

Voting NOT 3:F to seal the deal

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Ah, what! You guys are boring! Then again, my vote history in the last CYOA was schizophrenic.

Also, when I voted, I had a good hearty evil laugh.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

okay i refuse to let team boring win. changing my vote to not-h.

Remember when you were saying that you expected that the player base would be more serious in Trad Games than in GBS? :allears:

Looking forward to our boy dying horribly because of HILARIOUS :hurr: decisions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HiHo ChiRho posted:

For me we were training to be a priest of Asherah for a reason. We were given the chance to run away from that for a reason. I want to know who or what our father is. There is more to the religions here than just fish god/leviathan and El being a Yahweh analogue. Following Tudiyah into the city appears to be the best way to fulfill that goal for now.

I have to agree. Besides, Asherah is just a lovely god to choose; it's a god of punishment and no reward, and it's pretty clearly not as strong as El. Besides, we've got an actual friend now :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

> CAULK THE CAR

We should do this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

OPTION D Let him ride your shoulders because you enjoy "Playing Labaras" with him.

We're a kid, and we've never had a real childhood friend. There's no reason we can't have fun :unsmith:

quote:

OPTION B Yes! But, you will be a bit more... careful to avoid getting lost. You will stay close to the camp and force Danal to not run off if he tries to.

It's important to our future to have adventures, but we need to be careful not to go so far that we couldn't find our way back.

quote:

OPTION E. Barkof, who seems to bring Tudiya's number two among the group.

Lets get another idea what's going on here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

F: HOLD THE GRAPES

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hold the grapes!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Is there a gate anywhere nearby that we can hold?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ask mom

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

E go home and find Danal to guard him. If Danal were to want to go watch the battle, well what are we to do but go with him to guard him?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogenes, if we do not take the flint and iron, do we know other ways to start a fire? Rubbing sticks together + tinder, etc?

If we don't, I'd strongly recommend taking the flint. Alternately, the stone knife. We can make our own bow and arrows if necessary, but sharp edges and fire is a big deal.

Also, how stony is the geography here? Is it possible for us to find slate or other similar rock?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

You are aware of what a fire drill is, they used them in Athar, but you have never personally started a fire with one. You could try to guess along at it. You are not confident you know how.

The hills have rocks in them, less so in the more arid and flat areas.

You have not tried to make an arrow,bow or bowstring before. Ishamal's friend said there was no reason you could not learn but shooting bows, making bows and making arrows are three very different skills and you only know one somewhat well.

You might be able to whittle crude wooden arrows. Making a bow from scratch, well you could try, no one ever taught you how.

Aw heck.

Take the flint I suppose. we can always make a crude wooden spear by sharpening a branch on a rock, then hardening the tip in a fire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's absolutely storytime

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So, I just realized that we're assuming that this is a test or a trap because of our own, ooc experiences with mythology. The morality here might be different.

Diogenes, are there any stories that we've heard about Melachim or Demons acting in this way? Are there Melachim who pretend to be the helpless in need of help, or demons? In what way does the outcome usually go?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sogol posted:

D

Ha! You are Azzazel are you not? I have heard of you in stories. The dog, Snarls, is his own being and my friend, rather than a possession. Perhaps if he were a goat it would be different, but he is not to be given like trinket or bride price.

I believe that I just saved you at the risk of my own life and my friend's. Granted you apparently did not need saving, but we did not know that. I think you owe us a goat, but I am willing to negotiate. It is unclear what exactly I am negotiating for though. Perhaps you could explain that a bit? Do you have clay and a stylus so we can record any contract?

And yes on word touching whenever that happens next.

Gonna have to go with this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Azzazel wants Snarls because of our sentiment towards him, right? Well, what do we have that's sentimental for us?

Memories. We can offer a memory to him, one that's important, but not too important. Say, the memory of collecting snails for our "father" or one of going fishing with our uncle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

Drink our own piss. Snarls' piss too, if we can get it. Our own piss will will go dark and concentrated pretty quickly, but since Snarls has infinite water at his disposal his piss should be pretty clear all the way through. Snarls is a smart dog, we should be able to explain to him that we want him to piss in our mouth. Carry this secret to our grave.

I was waiting until the "drink our own pee" strategy appeared but drinking Snarls' pee is a wrinkle I didn't expect :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Why in the world are there so many votes concerning drinking pee?

Paradise Lost: Voting for not drinking the piss.

Not only this, but voting for not drinking the piss of a dog. Not sure how much I can emphasize this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

paragon1 posted:

You guys know that actual real life water discipline manuals say drinking urine is a terrible idea that would have little benefit and may well wreck your kidneys, right?

What does it say about canine urine?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Is this water the water that snarls senses? Is there another source nearby?

Voting that we NOT eat or drink anything given for snarls; I expect it to dry up the moment we try.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Grandito posted:

This is the best idea, I want to see us trying to cram a rowboat through the temple doors.

Also,
Did somebody say bote?

There's nothing wrong with a good croctopus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A Terrible Person posted:

Anybody else figure that Tudiya failed his test and immediately tried to make for it by making a sacrilegious offering?

He left on his journey with his cherished spear, found the Obelisk, made his mark, and then traded his spear to Azazel for food and water; in order to atone for such, he offers himself (a human sacrifice) to El and devotes his life to trying to live up to his failed obligations.

Pretty sure that Tudiya offered a lifetime of service, not a blood sacrifice. It's like the polar opposite of what you're suggesting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

UnassemblyRequired posted:

If we can keep the fire going for a month straight through all our travels, I think that would make a fantastic offering to El.

"Dear El,

I think that you are so fantastic, that I kept warm for a month in honor of you.

Yours Truly,
E."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Vavrek posted:

I like this. I want us to have an offering which impresses everyone. Since different groups are impressed by different things (effort, monetary value, etc.), this sets our challenge a bit higher.

That's actually a good point. I get the feeling that we only get one choice really, but that might not be the case. Diogenes, would it be frowned upon to make more than one offering for sacrifice? Or would that be seen as ostentatious?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

You...
A. Give up and go back to your normal routine.

We Vayahi Or'd because El smiled upon us. We didn't work magic, we said a prayer, and El listened, because we NEEDED it.

We don't NEED it right now, and we're not tight like Tudiya is with El.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Well, I was waiting for doom to spring from the ocean, and I'm not disappointed :suspense:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

According to your religious education, the only thing you could "do" to obtain divine aid is to be a true believer, suitably virtuous and ask for help. Making a sacrifice might help to draw attention, however.

Throw a pearl onto the alter and scream "Ninja Vanish!" If you are pure of heart, El will transform it into a smoke bomb so that you can disappear :ninja:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

1. Well, are you?
G. I have another reaction. Fill in.

We're not friends yet, but we're getting to be.

quote:

2. To which you say...
D. Something else. Fill in.

No, thank you, but if you're ever in the mood we'd be delighted to have a travelling companion on the way home to tell tales with. A good joke is its own reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Diogines posted:

you could have had a super smart goat

(I kid)

I get it.