Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

B. Didn't participate in the madgod thread, but I'm getting in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

D because there are fewer people to disappoint and less likelihood that a gate exists in the village for people to hold.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

D. Yes, she might have had ulterior motives (I think she wants us to grow up in the manner of her people), but I'd rather have us be the sort of person who would defend mistreatment of even the guilty than grow into the kind of person who tries to please others without having an understanding of what that involves.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

SerSpook posted:

Yeah but screaming at him to stop isn't going to do anything. He already ignores us, there's no reason this time would be any different. Our uncle, on the other hand, has a history of arguing with him and is stronger than him.

Oh, I don't doubt that getting our uncle would be more effective at this point in time (if he's even interested). We're, what? A toddler? But we're not going to be a child forever. And efficacy of actions aside, I'd much rather see us develop into the right kind of adult.

That said, I don't know that our uncle, the high priest, would truly object to someone beating their slave. Especially if that slave tried to impose their foreign customs on a child. And I'm not sure I believe that our father ignores us because he doesn't care. Different forms of child rearing, etc. Also, I'd rather not pick and choose loyalties right now. If we run for help, it could be argued that we're siding with a slave over our father, our uncle over our father, etc. If we stand there and shout for our dad to stop, we're at least dealing with the situation directly, whether or not it's effective.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

HardDisk posted:

C

And whatever comes of this, we already accomplished more than Ethan ever did! :v: Good job!

We haven't set our parents' hut on fire... yet.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Voting G. "Save Jalitha!" while pointing. At least our heart is in the right place. Even if we almost got bested by a tree.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Meh, I'm going to go with B. I guess it's the scream/cry at the big fish to not beat other people up option? I figure it's making amends for whatever. Clearly dad thinks cutting our hair is wrong. While two wrongs don't make a right, cutting her hair seems fair.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

G. Take the tooth and return to warn the village. Jalitha may or may not be lying, dad might have been (read: was) a bag of dicks, but those dudes clearly killed dad and stuff is seriously messed up. The village is home.

Also F.:(

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Yes on the dog because puppy doggles are lovely and adorable and cute, and I like Pagah as the name even if it likely won't win.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

H. Pray to El AND pray to Asherah. Mean both. El seems a much nicer and kinder deity than Asherah, but it seems wrong to so easily turn one's back on what you've been taught your whole life. Ex-dad might have been a dick, but that doesn't mean everything was wholly wrong. No disrespect meant to new dad, but we can't cast everything aside all at once. Besides, if El is watching, maybe he'll understand. And Asherah doesn't seem the sort to forgive, so might as well hedge our bets. Matters of faith are a little confusing right now.

J. Danal's acceptance doesn't seem to come with any strings, and that's nice given how strange the day has been. I mean, Jalitha cut our hair, leading to conflict. Her words lead to ex-dad getting stabbed in front of us. She inadvertently created a conflict in our mind that we'll eventually have to solve. She cares for us, and I'm sure we care for her, and she's been through a lot herself, but drat if these aren't the sort of things that lead to requiring therapy later in life. Danal's acceptance seems much less complicated.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Changing my vote to A. (J stays the same.)

After giving it some thought, I don't recall that Asherah has done anything that's deserving of loyalty. Jorah and Pagem might have been nice, but those are people. All I recall of Asherah is that the fish is really, really hungry and cares little about how good/bad people are. Asherah might be real, but El seems to be the better choice overall.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

Sure it's a bad thing. To us, 21st century modern people. To Og/Enkidel? If his society was cannibalistic that taboo surely wasn't as ingrained into him as it would be to us. His mom was surely against it but for the great majority of Og's life she was just some nice lady that lived with his uncle. Same thing goes with his dad beating him for disobedience--that's a bad thing to us, (well, bad but not shocking to me since when I was a kid it was something pretty much all parents did) but to him it would just be a "normal" thing for a village elder to do since he doesn't have any outside reference to indicate otherwise.

I think people voting to just change cultures like we'd change our socks are undervaluing the impact of Og's upbringing up until this point. Our whole life we've known nothing but the sea and Asherah and life in a primitive fishing village. Jalitha and her culture was definitely a wildcard, but given her limited contact with us during 90% of our "aware" life its impact would be minimal. Unless Og's extremely unlike the majority of kids ever, regardless of how he was treated he probably loved the people he thought were his parents more than Jalitha--they were the ones that raised him, not her. The sudden revelation that she's in fact his Real Mom wouldn't be cause for him to go "oh, OK, well gently caress my 'fake' parents/culture/life then." Hell, kids that are outright abused and not fed and have to be taken away by CPS are often distraught at having to be separated from their parents even though it's the best thing for them.

Based on what we know about the game in a larger-picture point of view it may well be smarter to go side with El since he's probably more powerful than Asherah, (then again, who knows what the real story is?) but it's a lot less realistic as something that you'd imagine what a kid in Og's shoes would do. It's a much more metagamey decision than something that actually makes sense.

That's kind of why I was conflicted about it IRL. The Og/Enkidel in my head is loyal to people, and it wouldn't be easy to simply give up everything. It wasn't an easy decision, and I imagine him very much believing that both Asherah and El are real. However, I figure he'd go off what his senses are telling him:
1) We know that people didn't come back, whether or not they were being eaten. (The Og/Enkidel in my head doesn't quite believe it. Jorah wouldn't eat people!)
2) We know that Asherah is the fish who constantly hungers. We were taught to remember "His hunger was great."
3) As per ex-dad, people who please Asherah end up as fish. Those who don't get eaten. The Og/Enkidel in my head believed ex-dad when he said that. Even if you do everything right, you end up the way Asherah wants you to.
4) If we pleased ex-dad, we were praised slightly. If we didn't, we were beat up. In contrast, Tudiya took us in and seems like a decent guy.

I imagine he's still loyal to Jorah and Pagem. But they're people, not Asherah. My Og/Enkidel definitely believes that Asherah exists, but views him with fear instead of loyalty. El's big thing was "It was good" and Tudiya seems like a decent guy. Though I imagine Og/Enkidel conflicted by the idea that Tudiya killed Shushem, overall Tudiya/El seem more deserving of loyalty. It's true that 11 year olds aren't known to be a rational actors who always act in their best interests, but everything stacked up in my head.

As far as running off with Jalitha and Tudiya, well, I didn't vote for that. I'm making the best of the situation.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

C, C, C

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. B. It's not quite fitting with the "straightforward man of action and honor" I was hoping we'd become, but being able to move without being seen has practical benefits. As does being able to observe without being seen.
2. I. Looks like we're the DPS in this group. Learn the fight before you take on tanking.
3. Q/O. Not going to learn unless we actually do something.
4. U. Does a foreskin as big as a hat count as more than one?
5. X

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

I think I'll switch my choice of monsters from U to T. The prospect of loot is a big draw. Especially since we've failed thus far at the duties of taking care of our mom (we were a boy, so I guess there's some leeway, right?).

I don't want to simply get mom married. That'd be like saying "ok, now you're someone else's responsibility". We're a man now. It's time to take on the responsibilities befitting a man of Zepath.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Just caught up, and I'm pretty frustrated with this development. Not entirely in a bad way, mind you. I understand that this is the best thing that could happen for the narrative. Going out into the world is a good thing, meta-wise. Otherwise, it's "Enkindel finds a way to marry his childhood sweetheart, helps his adopted bro get through his manhood trials and goes on minor adventures (near the palace), and lives the life of a prince." Sweet deal, actually. For all the minor questions of "who should I invest my money in??" and "where should I adventure to earn the bride price??", he's living a pretty perfect life. He's a Mighty Man in training. He's clearly got a great future ahead of him. His is a charmed life. So I'd like to get on the record that this particular part of Enkindel's subconscious is pretty irked that his perfect life is getting upended by this Bareen bitch.

It boils down to this: I don't care about the whole "waahh, they've made you a slave" spin she's putting on it. She can take that, turn it sideways, and stick it up her (undoubtedly toothed-like-Asherah) vagina.

Enkidel might be young enough and dumb enough to buy the whole "you're not the boss of me, dad!" angle, but Real Life Me lives in a rural area. Stud animals get taken care of very well. They get put out to pasture, their physical needs are met, and their only job is to have sex and have little baby animals of their respective species. While I'm sure that there's a way to spin it so that fate would be -terrible- for Enkidel, but something tells me he'd get over his crippling disappointment in time. If he's dumb enough not to understand how charmed his life is, I'd like to give him a hard smack upside the head. He can take a look at his friends. A slave? Some guy who makes pots for a living? Heck, if he can remember his past, he should have a clearer perspective. Blah, blah, terribly awful that we were invited into Tudiya's home, given the status of prince, and are being trained to be a Mighty Man. Oh no! How TERRIBLE. Tudiya is giving us a chance to marry his daughter (who likes us, and we like) so we can have little babies! gently caress you, adopted dad! I'm the boss of me! Idiocy.

If Ishamal is planning to take us away from what is a very charmed life, then he's as deserving of ire as Bareen. This particular part of Enkidel believes in El, but isn't willing to commit to the priesthood in the slightest. There are too many unexplained issues, and not enough answers. That said, otherwise Ishamal seems like a decent guy. I don't want to believe he would betray us, and I'm a little irritated that Bareen is casting doubt on him. I'm not sure who to trust at this point.

It looks like Bareen is going to have her way, and we'll get brought outside the walls for a training montage. Again, it's good for the story. But that doesn't mean Bareen shouldn't get punched in her stupid face.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

It makes me irrationally happy that we got a punch in.:neckbeard:

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Well, paebel is pretty close to us. We should F, go save him and his friends, then go after Danal. Tudiya and co are going to be busy with Bareen probably, and the foreign adventurers seem to have things under control, roughly. We can figure he rest out after we get Paebel and Danal.

This, only because Paebel is closer. If we have to prioritize, then choose Danal.

F, D

And this too, please:

jazzyhattrick posted:

Enkidel steps over several arrow filled corpses, in front of him is a fine bow, the prize for the contest.

"Well I came here for an archery competition *picks up prize bow* And I'm pretty sure I won"

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

B. A follower of Bareen is a clear, unarguable threat.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. O, P. If we can shoot them, shoot them.
2. Yes
Message to adventurers: Some message to get them to try and press for the door. If nothing else, "The door! *point*"

The way I see it, Rimush is coming for us but the whole group with us may die without an exit. If we're trying to help the loyal, we need to think of the ones with us too.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

IRS

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Theglavwen posted:

I think the only reason this sort of thing isn't getting any traction (well, aside from a desire to get some killer action sequences in here) is because most of us don't really expect that it could work. There's a small chance, sure, but for the most part we don't seem to be powerful enough yet to pull something like that off, especially to the extent of affecting players like Tudiya and Bareen. If we had some stronger evidence that we could pull it off I expect people would be all over it, but right now it just seems likely that we'd spend a 'round' yelling futilely over the din of the crowd and looking like a bit of an idiot, and worse, essentially wasting an update.

Pretty much this.

The only yelling that seems to have any effect right now are the death-murder-toss shouts of Bareen and Tudiya. We just don't know any World Peace shouts, dovahkiin. Besides, when Bareen decided kidnapping was the best solution to her issues, that removed any chance of peaceful solutions. I'm just hoping Tudiya doesn't die in this battle, which seems possible.

As for this part:

Obtuse Angol posted:

Is there any reason other than momentum to actually support Tudiya in this?

Tudiya saved us, adopted us into his own family, arranged for us to be trained, and is fighting so we don't get kidnapped. He tolerated Bareen in his city (even if he didn't like her, and custom seems to say she should be killed as a witch), and she and her cultists turned around and tried to kidnap us to... free us, I guess? Meanwhile, Tudiya is trying to recover his sons (DANAL and US). That seems like a good reason to me. I honestly can't see a coherent, non-selfish reason why we wouldn't be supporting him on this, even if Bareen was a way to find out who our real father is.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

E. Plan Sogol with a very slight variation. I'd rather we tell her that this might be because of who our father may be, and that it might be important for us to know. The variation is because I'm not entirely convinced that this came about specifically about who our father is. It seems it's more about where we'll end up in the future. (Bareen had plans for us, rather than Ishamal's, Tudiya's, etc.) It might be more accurate to say this is all about Bareen being a lying, kidnapping bag of dicks. But if Jalitha still won't tell us, don't badger her. While I'd really like to know who our father is, I'd much rather ensure that Danal is safe rather than stand around asking an old woman "who is our daddy and what does he do?" I doubt this is the last and final chance we have to figure out where we came from. It seems like it's a big enough deal that it'll come up again in the future. For me, Danal is the highest priority here, even if I'd totally like to see how the fight turns out, what's behind the secret door, etc.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Based on someone else's paranoid thought:
E
Tell Aaron:
"Bareen spoke of the city in flames if she was discovered, and there is smoke coming from the secret chamber. I fear she may have planted some disaster in case she was to fail. We must get in there before Tudiya finishes her off!"

This

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

D - While the urgency of the situation definitely merits intervention, Zebanetha makes sense. We know what it costs us to mess with magic. I imagine it would be the same for Tudiya and Rimush on a bigger scale. If things down there are as bad as we think, the kings need to be on the top of their game. If Aron needs urging to agree with Zeb, then do so. Besides, seconding Theglavwen's suggestion too: heading back down there might just attract them and make things even worse.

N - I get the feeling we're missing something, but I'm more inclined to believe the orthodox faith.

Seconding (or thirding, or whatever) any minivote on weapons: If there's a chance to do so, look at the arms and armor (or have Zeb do it). I think we're well within reason to consider arming ourselves -- especially since we know more than most that those things down there hate us. We might not be Mighty Men yet, but as far as duty goes, I think it's only right and proper that we should take up arms to defend our city.

That, and some small part of me thinks demon hunting (though horrible and scary) would be awesome if we could pull it off.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. A, J -- The truth, even if getting some questions answered was part of the motivation too. We probably shouldn't have been there, we should have been smarter about not being lured, etc. but we truly can't take full responsibility for all of this. Bareen did what she chose to do, regardless of what we were wearing- I mean, what questions we were asking.

2. O. Tell him everything she told you, as best as you can recall.
In addition, say plainly that 1) while I don't know whether Bareen was telling the truth and 2) I respect and like Ishamal, I want to make it clear that I don't want to be part of the priesthood. There are too many unanswered questions, and I don't know that being a priest is the best way of finding the answers to those things.

Nolaterif fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 6, 2014

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

paragon1 posted:

Don't insult the powerful older man who has been good to us.

This.

I'm curious about a lot of things, but we haven't earned the right to demand answers from anyone. We're supposed to be a man now, not some kid with an attitude who fails at social interaction.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

C. Stealth-mode.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. F. A combination of C and B. While the legal argument is what I'd be most inclined to use and believe, emotional argument/rhetorical skill will likely make more impact on those who haven't been trained from a young age to understand Zepath's laws. I'm making the assumption that 1) we're in a privileged position and 2) most people generally respond to things that make them feel good/bad based on the way the merchants were arguing ("That's unnatural... like Bareen! Feel bad about it and stop doing it!"). If we can make the case to the "common folk" as to why the laws are what they are on a level they can understand, it should be more persuasive and memorable, e.g: "If you're working too hard, any reasonable man would consider ways to help ease the burden. The laws allow for you to have employees, or use slaves. It also helps those merchants you buy from. If you reinvest in Zepath's economy by hiring/buying slaves, you might have to pay initially. But in the long run you too might see greater quality of returns in your products, higher profits." or "If one is working hard, any reasonable man would consider ways to do things more efficiently and ease the burden. If someone can gather raw material, let them. Focus on the quality of your product." or "If you cannot compete with the quality of art, try creating something that is unique" etc. Besides, it might lead to a healthy competition and a decrease in pot prices. Which might lead to more people being able to purchase pots. Or unique Zepathian pottery. Or a new tier of raw goods/clay merchants who would sell to everyone. And capitalism or something.

Enkidel might be able to make the case, but I didn't spec in business or legal rhetoric. Sorry.

2. G and OTHER. Turn her down as kindly as possible. I wanted to support Indor because it helps the poor, and I have nothing personal against her, but the thought of supporting something we don't fully understand may come back to bite us. If there are any clinics that don't involve dabbling in supernatural powers we don't fully grasp, I'd rather propose to Tudiya that we support those or find a way to create them. The poor won't need questionable cures, and we won't be supporting questionable supernatural dabbling.

4. O, P, Q I'm probably in the minority, but I really wanted Enkidel to learn the spear, even if it never becomes our main weapon.

5. V.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

CHK

I wanted us to learn the spear anyway. And I like that we can earn cred by learning to fight in the thick of it with the people we hope to lead + train others and build up a militia.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

SerSpook posted:

For band-name chat: The Happy Goats or I guess the Mighty Goats.

I vote Injected Enkidel and the Wound Service.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Of course talk to Indor yourself.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

H, and M in a nice way.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

C. Seems more feasible, and I like it more than sneaking around. Plus, this might help us network with some other Mighty-Men-In-Training. Right now, all they have is Lullaya's opinion on who we are. If we don't screw this up, we might get some Mighty Allies out of this.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Repeating my suggestion that we name our band Injected Enkidel and the Wound Service.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Seconding this:

Angela Christine posted:

1. You...

B. Follow the road to Ibleam for a few days. The harpy nests are more less in that direction too, and we'll likely make better time travelling along the road than through the wilderness. Travelling along the river will also let us keep our water supply topped off, and allow the men to wash in the river. We are unlikely to find monsters in the first few days, but staying with the river will make the trip a little more pleasant as we get into our rhythm.
We can veer off whenever we like, without throwing the dumb knife again.

2. When you do travel, what pace do you take?
D. A normal pace.
Though if we stay on the road we should make better time than we would through the scrub anyway.

3. Did you bring your flute?
J. Yes. It takes up almost no room, and a little music around the campfire some nights will be pleasant, even if it isn't magic.

4. You have two pounds of silver left to your name. Did you bring them?
L. Yes. If we do end up in Iblem somehow we'll probably need it. :cripes:

And...

5. Write in. Is there anything noteworthy you would like to bring?

I think survival basics are covered, so I'll second rope, Naomi token, and some light, portable religious item(s). We're wearing the charm we got from Indor, it's in the shape of a goat (relating to what we presume is a Melachim) so I kind of feel like we should balance things out by bringing some El-related thing. Not with the intent to sacrifice it, but just as a token.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. D
2. H

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

G. I don't expect we'll find much of value, but examining the settlement carefully is more prudent than either charging in and putting our Balls in harm's way or letting them go where they want all willy-nilly. Besides, we might get +1 on goblin lore.

FoxTerrier posted:

But then why bless us with greater Might when we pray?

Are we blessed because we prayed? Or were we blessed because we tried hard? Perhaps the underlying idea behind El is that effort increases worthiness. Before I say anything else, I'd like to add as a disclaimer that I don't have as much time for the theorycrafting side of things as I'd like, and I've definitely fallen behind on the details scattered around. I could be entirely wrong. But I'd been mostly voting under the assumptions that El is mostly a symbol for human effort, whether he's a Melachim, Nephilim, giant goblin, etc. I don't think El dislikes Mighty Men. I think, if anything, he/she/it would dislike the idea of people depending on Mighty Men and weakening themselves. I believe this view of El is consistent with the information we know so far:

1) Someone mentioned that Bareen commented about spilt seed being diluted (or something to that effect). In other words, if it's easy to come by, it's worth less.
2) Tudiya seems to espouse similar principles. He sent us on a test of manhood that was harder than most. And I don't think the foreskin thing was just to be a dick (no pun intended). There's a principle behind it, whether or not we agree with it. (Personally, I agree with the principle. But I can understand if some people don't.)
3) The sacrifice we gave during our manhood trial wasn't ranked 10/10 for artistic achievement. It was tough and we were desperate. It also burned the brightest out of anything we'd done.
4) Az's test was whether to take the easy path or not.

etc., whatever. Moral of the story: Being Mighty isn't bad. But it's the effort, not the superpowers, that makes it valuable. Heart of the hero vs simply doing heroic deeds, etc.

It might be a simplified, Disney-friendly view of things, but this is a result of not having a lot of time for theorycrafting.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Does that mean the reason Danal isn't living up to his potential because he's a slacker? :(

Yes, he's a slacker. Don't get me wrong; I like the kid. But he's not living up to his potential. If Enkidel weren't around, he'd be a spoiled brat who has trouble seeing past his own immediate needs.

That said, I'm also not sure whether Danal's got the potential for Might. Two separate and distinct issues, in my mind.

I'm not saying my theory means trying hard = guaranteed Might, being awesome, great success. I meant that I believe working hard weighs more heavily on the El scale than simply being Blooded. If a person has the potential for something, they can work hard and develop it. Someone who has potential + trains hard for it > someone who just sits back and relies on "natural ability". But if someone doesn't have the potential, there's only so much their body is capable of. I mean, I could start practicing right now to become a linebacker. I could train every day, eat right, and make sacrifices to Vince Lombardi. Could I be a decent football player? Maybe. I might be able to beat all my coworkers or the neighborhood kids or something. But is my 120lb skinny rear end going to win any Super Bowls? I don't want to sell myself short here, but I'm going to say no. But my sacrifices would probably burn brighter.

Is Danal Blooded? I honestly don't know. He's got the genetics. So at this point I'm not sure if he just needs to face some hardship to challenge him, or it's not there, or his midichlorians are running thin, or what.

Regardless of the Might issue, I think he's fully capable of being a heroic figure. And I think it'd be awesome if he did show he was Blooded. But I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, and I don't have enough information to come up with a coherent theory.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

1. D
2. L. I'm concerned that we used our powers, even if I think it was awesome and it was a good cause.
3. Y. Strip all the valuables and continue hunting.
4. B + F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Voting I.