Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS

Grimey Drawer

How's this?

Edit - Revision 2:

Alt:

and alternate font version:

Voting D. And Diog, if you need more readable fonts for future godtalkery, give me a shout, eh?

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 21, 2013 around 14:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Voting for H, and I made a thing:

Not sure about the background image, but that's easy to replace.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Edit: I made a gallery if people want to use voting icons.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 23, 2013 around 22:41

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Someone said they thought the vote icons were too large, so I made a set of smaller icons instead:

I'm working on a second set for if we have to do multiple choices in a vote. Don't worry, it'll be classy.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 00:18

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Set Two:

Edit:
To use these, just copy the image URL and paste it in the edit field. Forum software should do the rest.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 01:50

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Actual vote:
1. H, B, F, A, D, E, C, G

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Darker Porpoise posted:

It's being worked on no worries haha. Should be fun.

Incidentally, I want to ask this:
If you're going to change your vote, do a strikethrough of your original vote, and post advising of the change to your vote.

The first makes it easier to keep track of the change, and the second makes it more likely we'll notice.
(This "we" meaning "the crazy idiots doing the tallying", of course.)

Edit:

Some notes:

Nobody knows who Uncle Pagram is, based on how his votes are skewed towards last.
Nobody likes the Forest, either, with it having received a solid 3/5 of the vote split between last and second-to-last place.
While Father and Jorah are tied for the lead, Jorah has more votes for second and third, while Father has the second-most votes for last... after the Forest.
The Beach is solidly in 5th place. It's not going anywhere.
The Ocean has by far the most votes for second - and until recently, Jalitha was leading for third - but now it's close, with Father and Jorah trailing her by 1 and 2 votes, respectively.
Jorah, Mother, Jalitha, and the ocean are all tied for fourth; Uncle Jorah, Uncle Pagem, and Jalitha are all also in close competition for sixth.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 04:24

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Well, I'm just presenting the data; it's not like this is going to end up being a first-past-the-post poll where the guy you don't like gets elected for four years - it's all up to Diog's interpretation. If the closeness of the race means that, say, we wind up spending as much time with Jorah as with Father - but the relative split in votes means we ENJOY the time with father less - then I think that's a result we can be happy with.

Or unhappy with, at least in character.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Disargeria posted:

That's how I did my summary. First place is worth 8 points, down to 1 point for last place. This way, a lot of high votes would move someone up the final tally, and any trends in low or mid voting could still establish themselves.

I'm not saying how anyone should vote or who's right or what, but I personally don't care about the positions so much as the order they're in. I want to spend more time with Jorah, so I would be happy with him in any of the top three spots. I don't want to spend time with the Father, so I want to get him as low as possible. I don't care if he's 6th, 7th or 8th. In the other system, a specific position matters. I think there's a few obvious trends going so I doubt either system is really going to impact the game.

Here's a summary of the point system (without the latest votes). Their average rank is in parenthesis.

With this, a few people could make us spend more time with Jalitha just by voting her higher in the ranking. The other system would require a rearrangement of where people focus their votes to make sure theirs didn't get wasted behind Jorah's.

As a corollary, here's the results from my count:

Father (17) and Jorah (18) both have the most votes for first. The Ocean has the most votes for second, at 16.
The highest number of votes for Jalitha are at 3rd, with 12; for the beach, at 5th (23), for Pagram, at 7th (16), and for the forest, last (21).

If we assume that Father and Jorah get equal time, the breakdown then goes:
Ocean, Jalitha, Mother, Beach, Pagam, Forest.

Effectively the same as Disargeria's results. On the other hand, it's clear that the voting for Father is still rather divided; he had almost as many votes for third as for first, and half as many votes for last as for first, while Jorah's votes tapered off from the high of 18 through the first four positions.

Edit:

Note the steadiness of the decline here versus the sharp spike, drop, and spike of the votes for Father.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 05:44

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

HOLD THE CHARTS!!! Also let Diog figure it out. I'm sure he didn't start a big vote like this without knowing how to sort it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

no, seriously dude, it really messes up the count when I have no idea what your vote was before, and then have to recount everything just so I can change your one vote

and I am completely out of beer
so I won't be doing that

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 06:54

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

As a reminder, the options for 1 and 2 are:

Diogines posted:

1. You are now ten years old. You spent time with many people over the last six years, sometimes by choice, sometimes, you were forced to. Please order the following in the order you spent the most time with them, from most frequent to least frequent. Before anyone asks, I swear to Denziroh that this vote does not correspond to deciding some sort of secret stats like str / con / dex / int / wis / cha or any other similar formulation, so, trying to correspond different votes to stats in this vote won't achieve that goal.

A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean

2. When the men of the village left for a week, did you pray with Jalitha for Uncle Jorah to return safely?
Please pick ONE.
Because of the large number of options, please make sure to include the letter, to make it easier to count. Thank you!

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them
B. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because everyone believes in them
C. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you believe in him
D. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't believe in him
E. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't care if he exists or not, you just want to make Jalitha happy
F. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in Asherah and his children
G. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in her sky giant
H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe
I. No, you did not pray, you are angry at the thought of prayer, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you, but have not decided if you are angry at the gods or not, you are just angry
J. No, you did not pray, you are angry at all gods, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you
K. No, you did not pray, you do not BELIEVE in gods because of your fathers harsh treatment
L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Edit:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 24, 2013 around 14:38

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

Crap, I missed C? I have no idea what C was but I put it right in the middle then.

It's just Uncle Pagem, so it's not like it makes a difference :V

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

As an aside, we're up to 86 voters on this vote so far.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I like the one about the lobster.

psst the vote icons are linked behind my vote icon

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 25, 2013 around 17:27

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Let's not get involved in the dispute, but at least get 'our' people to safety, alright?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kalam posted:

Going to go with not-A here. We gotta stay the course with Asherah and his salty friends.

You mean:

(not changing my vote, I'm just promoting my vote icons )

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 27, 2013 around 18:59

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

- we should probably grab that shark tooth. Maybe wrap it up in something. But yeah, fleeing seems like a good idea right now.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 28, 2013 around 01:11

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Um guys, may I suggest that there is a possibility that the the tooth might be trapped/cursed/act as a GPS tracking device for a very pissed of Asherah? Option H seems way too much 'superior' to option A

You're free to vote if you want, but I'm still solidly for it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

We gave Jalitha the pearls we got while swimming in the ocean. We're apparently a pretty decent pearl diver.

...which will come in handy after puberty.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

...actually, I'm going to change over to . The earthquake thing reminds me too much of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and the icon for A is a lot cooler than for H.

That's .

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

I believe Jalitha is lying about being our mom.
I also believe that she is lying in order to protect us. I suspect before the end of the day, our village is going to be nothing but ash and ruin.

If she's lying, why would she have put so much time and effort into being with us, despite all of those beatings?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Darker Porpoise posted:

^ Nope! Vengeance!!!

I'm at work all day today but https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...c&usp=drive_web should be editable if someone wants to help out. If you put a negative vote in or remove one due to a vote change add or remove 2 from the total votes slot to keep it corrected

I added some conditional stuff to the spreadsheet so it tracks those automatically, so long as negative votes are marked as -1.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Globofglob posted:

Personally, I can't believe people don't want us to run, wait for the replacement, and get taught to fire crazy fish lasers from him.

Considering crazy fish lasers failed to kill anyone...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

She probably felt bad for us.
According to Diog (assuming I'm not remembering wrong), our dad is the sole source of beatings in the village, and we are the only 2 recipients.

That, and she lived in our house as the family servant, so she'd have had way more time and opportunity to bond with us, as opposed to the other kids, who shunned us.

...except that she pretty much moved to Jorah's hut after the crippling beating, but still was happy to tell us stories and spend as much time as we wanted with her.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Incidentally, the current vote count:

H is way ahead at 42 votes, followed by E at 16, G at 12, and A with 11.

Additionally, F got 25 votes, and 52 people used vote icons.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 28, 2013 around 23:49

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Let's not play stupid yet. Especially if this dude can tell if we're trying to trick him.

Edit:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 29, 2013 around 00:29

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

Vote I. Kill Jalitha with the tooth and run back home

Counterpoint:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Changed my mind: Tudhalias has my vote. Sorry, SerSpook.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dog kisser posted:

Yeah, hell no, we're not backing off this insolent poo poo thing. Worst case scenario we get a cool scar. Part of the epic journey. Voting Plan Sassmouth!

Worst case scenario we wind up a pariah in a city full of people who look different from us, ostracized by everyone and unable to do any sort of meaningful interaction with the townspeople, and never learn how to read or do anything 'cool' that civilization affords us, AND we get a disfiguring scar across our face that leaves us half-blind and with a speech impediment.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Raserys posted:

why is a "confused 11 year old who just watched his dad beheaded" going to spout, "Heh, maybe YOU guys are the real demons "

Probably Aspergers.

Edit:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 29, 2013 around 15:47

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Just a thought. How many adults have said to a child 'I can tell when you're lying'. The answer is every single one of them. We're falling for one of the oldest child management tricks in the books.

I'm pretty sure most of those adults aren't considered god-kings, are 7' tall, and can take a lightning bolt to the chest without dying.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Here's the spreadsheet.

Honestly, I'm surprised maxhush's option got such a surge in votes right after it was suggested.

Edit: Going to try to be an impartial vote-tallier from here on~

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 29, 2013 around 16:54

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Alright, I feel this is kind of important to note:

Right now, the king doesn't know our dad is the cannibal who is now lying dead on the ground after attempting to kill him with witchcraft.

I really don't think that now is the time to inform him of that fact. Or, possibly, ever. If these people were so angered just by the suggestion of cannibalism, they won't take it well that we're the son of the priest; we'd be at their mercy, while now we have their pity and generousity as a "lost son" of their own people.

Let's not throw that away just yet.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 29, 2013 around 17:14

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Disargeria posted:

I really like how you set this spreadsheet up

So do I! Except I forgot to count my own vote until just now

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Edit: Count.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 29, 2013 around 23:06

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Incidentally, here's the vote icon album if anyone lost the link. It just makes it a little easier to pick out the votes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vote count updated; hug vote stuff added. Don't stop voting for the haircutting options just because the minivote is up!

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 30, 2013 around 15:44

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Changing my vote to .

Incidentally, going back over Jalitha's response to "who is my real father"...

Diogines posted:

She looks down at the forest floor. "I... not the man you knew, Sweetling. Ask me again when you are older."

This makes me feel like either the-man-we-knew-as-father changed, somehow, or that there's some other factor involved. Either way, it's probably a point to keep in mind as we go forward.

Edit:
Hot Dog Day 80, Nettle Soup, and Mexican Deathgasm: You guys all have votes in for the hug, but none for the main vote on the hair. Just a heads-up.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at May 30, 2013 around 17:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tremynci posted:

1: Hug our mommy and apologize for upsetting her like a wee poo poo.

Also, I sure as gently caress never loved our "dad". I loved Uncle Pagam, and Uncle Jorah, and Jalitha, and "Mom", but "Dad"... At best, I respected him grudgingly. Really, I feared and loathed him, and, being an outsider to the village, I could see that everyone else feared him too. He was the ONLY person we have EVER seen use violence, and it was directed at us and one of the two people who made their love for us openly known. I've been nursing rage against him for years, and deep down, I'm glad he's dead. In fact, I've been praying to El and Smattas for this day to come in my deepest, darkest soul: yeah, I believe in Asherah, but between a hungry force of nature and a benevolent god, I choose nice.

I am NOT going to tell the king that I'm his putative son, and I'm going to thank him for allowing me to fit into this culture -- that's F, right? If I can politely ask to keep some part of my culture -- say, have "Og", "Jorah", or "Pagam" as part of my name or an addition thereto, I will. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to when I can bring non-brutality back to the village with me when I grow up.

That's probably closer to + , so I'll mark it down as that with your note.

«7 »