Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I think b is the best option. Lets try not to blow up the world this time, okay guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I hope that this can get back to gbs also. I don't know if anyone here still remembers goblii, but it was another popular cyoa a few years back that died an ignoble death a few weeks after being moved to trad. games. Hopefully this can avoid the same fate.
In any case, I'll be eagerly following this regardless!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Oh gosh I remember Goblii; that was the reason I started reading The Land Between the Rivers, actually! What an awesome thread :3:

Glad to know I'm not the one with fond memories of it. Does anyone know if luvcow is still around? A sequel would be neat!

Dio, do you want to want us to hold off on individually asking to get the thread moved? It might help it get noticed, but I wouldn't want us to piss the mods off by flooding the reports queue either

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Help!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Hopping aboard the G: Save Jalitha bandwagon.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Diogines posted:

I am acknowledging your question! It is an excellent question! I am intentionally not answering it! Read my refusal to answer as a confirmation or a denial to your question, however you so may choose!

I am starting on the update now and barring any last minute swing votes to change the results, expect it up in about an hour. I encourage anyone who has not voted to do so and anyone who wants to change their votes, up through the last minute is welcome to do so.

Do you ever spend about an hour or two writing an update, only to find on a recount the winning vote has changed and you have to start over? That must be kind of frustrating. I'm surpised you don't close the vote while you're writing, actually.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

A I don't want us to do anything that our father wants us to do. As far as we can tell, he seems like a bad man. Sounds like Jorah hates him also, so its not like his athority is unchallenged in the village.
As a four year old that that has had an extremely traumatic day, the easist way to not do what he wants is to simply break down and start wailing. Which nobody should hold against us either.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

A. Father
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
D. Mom

H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'd also like to tell him everything we remember about what happened when we were four

General questions about the village:

How many people are there?

How is the village ruled? Is there a chief, or more of a council of elders or something?

How far are the neighbouring villages, and how much do we interact with them?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Before I vote, can we ask Jalitha any questions?
I'd like to say
"Whats going on? What do you mean they're rescuing us? Why were you talking about cannibals?"

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Theglavwen posted:

Pretty much what the Turtle said. The other votes can't be serious; we're not going to launch into a pious and eloquent sermon on the merits of the great saviour El, straight out of someone's prayer-book, while simultaneously renouncing everything we've known and fully believed in previously, as a young kid who's just been ripped violently out of familiarity and security. I cannot believe that's a serious suggestion, and as cool as the little poem is, do we really have the capacity or talent, nevermind the current clarity of mind and composure, to start making up entreating poems on the fly? Maybe if it's an established poem, that Jalitha's taught us, that we can maybe stammer out shakily half-remembered, sure, but come on, when did we switch from 'traumatized kid, burgeoning priest of Asherah' to loving Rudyard Kipling?

Yeesh, tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea. Say he must be pretty important, otherwise Asherah wouldn't have let him manage the life that Asherah spawned upon the land that he brought forth from the ocean.

Keep in mind we have no reason to doubt what we've 'learned' of Asherah; whatever we think of El we must have someone reconciled it in our head with what we 'know' of Asherah.

I think these are some good points. What we know of El, and what we know of Asherah are likely to be somewhat jumbled together, seeing as we've decided to believe in both of them from a young age. I also think that quoting an elegant poem about gods that, until now have only been a minor part of our worship while completely ignoring Asherah seems unrealistic.

I'd be more inclined to say something along the lines of what Theglavwen has suggested: Relate what we know of El and the Sky Giants, but in a manner that is mixed up in the framework of our belief in Asherah.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Maybe we could modify it a bit to be slightly less inflammatory? While I guess that was the point, that was a pretty blatant hint that maybe our current plan isn't an entirely bright idea.

If we are gonna go this route, maybe this would be slightly better:
quote:

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. But didn't my Dad shoot lightning at you?
[Then burst into tears]
Basically, instead of being a smarmy rear end in a top hat, we are instead a confused, traumatized 11 year old trying to make sense of what just happened.

I know it's not as sassy and amusing as the original, but it's slightly less likely to get us killed, too

Rahul fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 29, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

By the way, in spite of what I posted above, and despite it having no support or momentum, my personal vote remains plan Theglavwen:

Tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah, even if we don't get murdered right off the bat, it kinda goes without saying that this is an Important dude we are talking to, and we're only going to get one chance at a first impression.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I've gotta say dio, you've got your work cut out for you with this next update. I think this must be the messiest voting round we've had yet.
Have any of the vote counters attempted to piece together where the various options are currently standing yet?
I might have a go after I get some sleep if nobody beats me to it

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Um, I'm Og. I've always been Og. If I get a new name, can I still be Og as well?

You said El's god. What do you mean? Is he like Asherah?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

+

I'd like to be thankful, but say that we want to keep our old name AS WELL AS our new name if that is okay.

I'm also not ready to give up on Asherah that easily, but this doesn't seem to be the time or place to bring it up. I'll keep quiet about it for now

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Ogtac

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

BoyG posted:

We grew up in a society that strongly values hair length (especially seeing as how our dad reacted to it being cut in the first place). I can only assume that for the last 11 years it has been drilled into us about the importance of long hair in the worship of Asherah, so it wouldn't be in our nature to just happily go along with it being cut (look at Amish hair cutting or shaving your beard in Islam).

I realise it's the only realistic option for us to develop Og further, but it seems out of character that he would so willingly go along with this. He's not going to be thinking of the long term implications of his choice like we are.

I don't know. Our only frame of reference on the matter is our father, who was kind of a psycho and who we had a troubled relationship with to say the least. By all accounts, the other villagers seem quite gentle and peaceful, and I've gotten the impression that they followed him and Asherah more or of fear than devotion. Right now our beliefs and emotions are such a jumbled mess that really I think any response at all could be believable.

In terms of what is smart though, keeping our head down and going with the flow is the only option that makes sense. Any other course of action is likely to have negative consequences and unlikely to have any positive effects.
I know some people feel like we're abandoning all our traditions too easily, but I don't think that's the case. It's just that this probably isn't the best time to raise those issues.

Seeing as we picked up Chekov's shark tooth, I doubt we've seen the last of Asherah. I also think that keeping our hair cuttings might be a good idea too.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 30, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I think it's fairly clear that she's more or less telling the truth. Do we need to really push her any further?

Diogines posted:

You have no frame of reference to know how old people are supposed to get, nor could you count to sixty, but you have never seen a person older than their late 50s in the village. You have never seen the burials occur, when the men carry the dead out of the village for burial. Those who are sick tend to either heal quickly, or, perish quickly, a prolonged time for recovery is unheard of. No one in the village is missing fingers or limbs or ears or has any other sort of disfiguring injuries.

But you are eleven and have lived here all your life.

That is how it is everywhere.

Right?

There's a Mysterious ritual twice a year that everyone gets very nervous about and people sometimes don't return from.
We have a lack of old, and infirm people. We worship a predatory fish God who has an endless hunger and a disregard for the welfare of our people.
It's pretty clear that something messed up is going on.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Cathair posted:

Thank you, this needed to be said. Not saying we should rock the boat without good cause, but everyone should keep in mind that monotheistic religions in ancient times were not exactly bastions of flexibility, tolerance, or cross-cultural acceptance. It's very likely that these guys have their own ways of being tremendous assholes. We should not expect everything to be hunky-dory from now on.

Yeah, I think we're gonna have to make a choice eventually. El and the giants angels are, as mentioned quite biblical.
I'd be quite surprised if Asherah doesn't turn out to be some form of demon based on what we currently know.
It kinda goes without saying that the two don't mix very well.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

What are those strange hairy monsters following us? Are they dangerous?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Jorah is going to be our new best friend. He will be named after our old best friend

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'm ultimately in favour of dropping ashera eventually, but even I agree we can't just drop it right away. At this point we should be feeling confused and conflicted, and unsure of what to believe.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

G. Cry and scream for your Mother. This option can be combined with any of the above options .

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'm guessing we probably lack the skills for this, but have we left any tracks/signs of where we've been? If we wait until daylight is there any chance we could better see such signs?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

C let's try to keep going. If we collapse, we collapse. But we're not going to ask for help.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

A F

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

A!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

1. How do you wear your beard?

C. Long and bushy, but neat.

2. There are many things which interest you. Did you continue to devote a large portion of your time to following after Tudiyah, or did you spend less time with him, to do other things?

B. I did not spend most of my time with Tudiyah, so vote on #3 instead.

3. I spent my time doing many things... I...

A. * 1 I continued to spend time with Tudiyah

F. * 3 I want to learn how to fight! But I do not want to train at the Temple of the Melachim.

4. With Naomi's betrothal broken...

B. I had feelings, but I kept them to myself

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Quick question about bows: Are longbows a thing? Historically, I don't think they were around in this era, but historically people well over 7 feet tall weren't around either. Given the combination of our eagle eyes and our size, I imagine one in our hands could be ridiculously deadly if we trained in it.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Diogines posted:

The English longbow does not exist.

Bows larger than existed for men in this "era" exist in Zepath. Few men use bows. They take a lot of time to learn, more than the average man wants to spend.

Bows suitable for use by men who can bench press cows exist, as do smaller more historically accurate bows.

That's all I wanted to hear.

Four votes for M, please. I look forward to us eventually becoming a human siege weapon with our mega bow capable of shooting arrows carved out of tree trunks

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

1.f
2.i

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Jumping on the A bandwagon. We got told one item. Cheating probably isn't going to serve us well.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Didn't jalitha say she fell into a river and washed up in a beach near athar? I'm suspecting this is what actually happened, and the reason she isn't dead is due to some form of divine intervention. This may also related to why we sometimes hear voices and don't appear to be a normal boy.

In any case, once we get back, we really need to start spending more time with her.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

D: Water.
If we have to resort to robbing / murdering a helpless person in need of aid one hour into our test of manhood, then just what does that say of us exactly?
Also keep in mind, this is not just a test to show our worthiness in the eyes of Tudyia and the people of Zepath, but a test to show our worthiness in the eyes of El. I doubt there is any sort of gift we will be able to present to the temple that will be great enough to wash off the blood of an innocent man slain at the first opportunity.

For the people that are voting E, do you think we have it in us to kill him, even as a mercy killing?
Even if we end up deciding it to be the most logical/pragmatic choice, deciding it needs to be done is one thing, actually going through with it is another.
I know it's definitely something I would struggle to do in such a situation, and also something I think Enkidel probably wouldn't find easy to do either.

Edit: As for trying to fetch Tudyia, even if we send Snarls, I'm not sure that he would come. He has stressed how important this test is to him, and how distateful he finds those that half-rear end or interfere with it. No matter how smart Snarls is, he's probably not going to be able to relay to Tudyia that we've found another person in need of aid. He would most likely assume it's a sign that we've given up already or had some personal misfortune, and would leave us to our fate.
I think we are on our own, and all we might achieve is tiring and dehydrating Snarls for no gain.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 28, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Hmm, well that information is worth at LEAST a gourd full of clean water and a days worth of food...

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I like the idea of going to the coast and fishing/pearl diving. However, we have been told that there are a lot of monsters in the sea, and as we are no longer in Asherah's keeping, the coast might be more dangerous to us than it was when we were a child. Still, I think it would be worth the risk, and it draws upon skills we already know, rather than having to learn from scratch like the poem tablet idea.

So then:
1:N Pearls
2:Q
3:V

A few questions for Dio:
Have we ever seen any maps of the area surrounding Zepath? Do we know if rivers are common? Also, how good is our general sense of direction? I'm trying to gague the risk that we end up following the wrong river home and end up missing Zepath completely.

Also what, if anything, do we know of the Grigori? Have we ever heard of them before?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I think it might work. We know we have a latent potential for magic, even if we don't know what we're doing exactly. Also, remember what happened way back when we tried to cast a spell just by aping what Shushem did? We got a pretty major effect. Okay, so maybe flying through the air and nearly getting eaten by Asherah wasn't exactly what we were hoping for, but I think the event does show that even without knowledge or schooling we have an innate ability to to interact with the supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Neraren posted:

A) Stoke the fire and take it with us.

1) We don't want to have to do that again.
2) A fiery branch is the best weapon available to us
3) Managing to keep a fire going for a month that we set with magic powers could potentially be an offering.

I'm also voting for keeping the fire going. I like the idea of it possibly being an offering too.
Dio, how would a magically lit olympic torch be percieved as an offering? It doesn't really have any material value, but I'm guessing Tudiya and perhaps El would approve of the effort involved in keeping it going all that time.
We can say that we are returning the fire to El that he gave us in our time of need.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 13, 2013