Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Holy poo poo. 2200 pages of this and finally at the end. This thread/game is wonderful Dio.

Does getting wings mean we can poop now? Did we suddenly grow a colon as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Or we could simply grab a monster, fly 100 feet up, and drop them. That could work. We could pantomime jumping really high to disguise it too?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Labaras did not give Man sandwiches! The cooks of Zepath will stone you for this heresy!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I laughed hard at this.

Oh, but we can't slaughter cows, right? Didn't Tudiya forbid the slaughter of certain animals except for the temple sacrifice? I wonder if eating fish is more popular now.

It just has to age more. If I recall, you can't kill a cow before it has given birth twice? So you're just getting tougher, more aged beef. Can we invent Dry Aging to counter this?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Kinetica posted:

Well I was happy that I had just finished 163 pages of Diogenes posts, and then someone read all 2200.

This CYOA owns though.

It's because I didn't know I could just filter his posts out until around page 1800... :smith: :negative:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Tomn posted:

She was probably joking, but I really am. On the plus side, though, you can now go through life with the surety that you possess mental fortitude enough to read through this entire loving thread, poster opinions and all.

Speaking of which, if Diog doesn't expect to update for a few days I might throw up a new Champions of Ur sometime before the next update. Wings will be involved.

No worries. I heard about you from Lowell's CYOA first, so I knew what to expect. Also, I had a ton of questions answered simply by scrolling more and waiting for your posts.

And to echo ElrondHubbard, the best parts of this are the massive swing of opinions/scenarios presented by everyone else. I especially love the insistence of Team Asherah and was really worried for a second when the game almost split in half.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Music Theory posted:

I just realized that if you're reading this whole thread right now the suspense of Jesbaam and the battle of Tanaach is reduced a lot because you can just look at the amount of pages left in the thread.

I thought that at first too, but I'm pretty sure Dio floated the idea really early of, if Enkidel were to die, the game would vote as to who we would continue as. Also, I was like 99% sure the whole game was about to take a giant left turn and we'd become a demon or something HUNGER-related because , well, goons and we'd do something incredibly stupid to live.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I'm not really sure what even happened with the Lizard God. Like, the females thought we were funny and were being cool, but Lizard God was a loving prick. So we have no memory of that place anymore? I guess what was the point of it then?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Tomn posted:

I honestly don't get the sense that people seriously believe this, myself. Or at least, they don't usually seem to think Diog is the one who has the secret correct option. The general sentiment is there, but I get the sense that the thread as a whole is more interested in figuring out its own Perfect Solutions - whenever Diog presents a set of unpleasant choices, each of which has some negative consequences attached, there's usually a pretty spirited effort to develop an unlisted Third Option that gets the benefits without paying the price. There's a reason why write-ins are so popular when faced with difficult choices, I think.

Which to say Enkidel is basically Captain Kirk, forever trying to Kobayashi Maru his way through life and telling the rules to gently caress off. Which does actually work out sometimes, to be fair, but more often than not it ends in "No, actually, you can't wriggle your way out of this one that easily."

While I don't think Diog works this way, most CYOAs that I've read, either in print or online, do kind of have a 'There is one Most right answer' so I can forgive people who tend to think this one would as well. The fact we are 2 years and 2200ish pages in and people haven't really understood that this one doesn't work that way is kind of strange.

But I do agree with you about the Kirk thing. We are goons.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Slaan posted:

Why the hell are people calling the wings wingats and the finger we reattached fingats?

It's really, really dumb.

It's awesome. It's from a typo way earlier in the thread, at least that's when I saw it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

ElrondHubbard posted:

Together, but definitely make sure to get our buddy something from a monster (along with the rest of the Balls), 'cause giving up one of those scrolls, especially to Indor, sounds like a bad idea.

Seconding this. We're not giving a scroll to her. Who knows what it says on it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

B + Run it by Ishamal when we get home

It's funny y'all think we're going home when we've got these wings. Remember before when we had wings and they said we could keep them but never re-enter Ur? Yeah. Going home is not going to happen.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ralith posted:

Do you not understand that, unlike last time, they're invisible?

I have a feeling enough people are going to be able to see them.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

paragon1 posted:

A

It's a good point, and even one I agree with. But I have to wonder if our lawyering is going to impress the ancient being that considers itself a god? Hopefully he'll be happy that his creation and all that hard work is taking root elsewhere, or else be impressed at David's restraint and foresight.

Aren't we kind of his peer? Isn't he the same kind of being that we are?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shadeoses posted:

Isn't there a divine law specifically against destroying fruit trees?

I don't know if it's divine, but it's a VERY BAD THING. Destroying the groves infested with scorpions is really bad, but considered barely okay because the creatures are evil.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Fruit-gate is dumb and we should all feel dumb. Unless it's a grave sin in Ur and an affront to El, who gives a poo poo? Amok was obviously referring to just taking the fruit and eating it. Like a grocery store.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

FoxTerrier posted:

Let he in this thread who is without sperg cast the first stone 12 sided die.

D20 or death, heathen!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Diogines posted:

You are reasonably sure that Paebel, who snuck into the city of Heres in the dead of night and flat out shanked/shot/neck snapped several men as part of his one man raid to rescue your captive country men is PROBABLY not not on board with you carrying him tied to you in a papoose.

Aww. But it would be cute. :3:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

SerSpook posted:

To scout and explore as is our stated purpose.

Since when did this become Star Trek?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Mash B

This is really fun. I like this part.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

We wouldn't be in this predicament if we wrapped Paeble in a papoose and carried him.

This right here guys.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

^^^And getting all the other stones too.

B N Tell P-Bro about the giant running up the falling tree, but in our case, we literally ran up the tree to save him.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

ArbitraryTA posted:

No you can't and won't justify your bullshit to me. Jesus Christ how hard is it to be honest to your closest friends for loving once

Our closest friend already secretly worships us like a god. 'Playing El' is a noted 'BAD THING'. Let's not be loving idiots and encourage a cult any more than we have to.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

D, but take Snarls with us. Everyone loves Snarls.

We should do some recon. This is something way different to what I thought we would find. Maybe the giants are regular dudes who go through some sort of transformation because of their god? Dio, do the slaves/workers have those necklaces?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

I'm thinking now, I bet Giants are manufactured beings.

That was my thinking as well based on the servants chopping up bodies and putting them in the cauldron.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Can we check our ???? levels? Did they go up with the praise/worship of our Balls?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Schwza posted:

Throw a +Plan Basscop on my vote. Enkidel is the most confusing hero.

Also, are there any Melachim associated with stealth, the night, shadows, etc.?

Batmanim? Nightwingel?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Diogines posted:

Your old one is long gone.

All of your grandchildren know the stories of your adventures and all of your grandsons hope to one day be a hero like you! During one storytime, your eldest grandson, Asahel's firstborn asked to see your Lucky Knife, it comes up in a few stories.

Asahel told him he couldn't show it, after Grandpa's spear broke at Tanaach he fought with his lucky stone knife and killed a dozen demons with it! It is buried somewhere in a demons gut in the ruins of Tanaach!

For your next birthday, that grandson gave you the very first good stone knife they ever made, as your birthday present. Asahel taught him well how to make one, it is stone and crude, but a fine knife!

When I get home I will look up his name.

:3:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

E because we need more xp and lewt. But really, we should probably cripple as many of the Giant leadership as we can. That way, maybe, in the pitched battle to come, some of our Balls will survive. I'm really only attached to Ruth, Asahel, and Paebel.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

UppaTree posted:

We strongly contemplated drinking dog piss. We still think about eating rocks. We think our mentor, who has saved our lives at least three times now, is an rear end in a top hat. We hold completely batshit religious views that range from "El's not real" to "El is a construct" to "El is a soul-eating demon like all the rest", and having direct contact with divine agents seems to make us MORE heretical.

Enki's been CN for a loooong time.

Meh. I think we are Labaras reborn. We see the world for what it is and are not happy with the rules as they currently are. We question the established Power and are inquisitive. We are Chaotic Good to our core and killing some Giants is not going to change that. Our friendships are proof of that.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ashera's Will be Praised! Hunger! Consume!

O :chef: :unsmigghh:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

So Team Asherah wins in the end...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I hope you make another CYOA Dio and we hopefully don't gently caress it up like this one.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

E

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Why I voted E

by BB Rodriguez

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

-Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953

I had abstained from most of the Giant voting because I really had no idea what to do. What I really know is, I don't want Enkidel to die, but if this is the end, they're going to know they were in a fight.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Well, E.

I guess I feel that any sort of rational thought is better than the mindless feeling of eternal hunger. I would hope and wish that we attempt to kill ourselves and go the opposite direction of the kingdoms of Men.

We may argue about the best way, and how we are hypocrites, and how we never truly believed in El. That update was a harsh look at us from one side. I still feel that, we, as a person, are far better than we give ourselves credit for. We've improved thousands of lives, and in some cases, like Asahel, ensured innovative and critical thinking is actually a thing in this place. Despite our inner conflict, we've generally done the right thing and are a pretty decent person. We've never been cruel, mean, and until now, murderous. We've thought about it, but thinking something doesn't make you terrible, acting on it does.

So we killed these Giants. Did we have to? No, but they were clearly evil and torturing and eating humans. We could never have just walked by. A pitched battle with our Balls would have had the same result, but at least now they have a chance of life even if they might not take it.

All I'm saying is, if this is the end, our ledger is in the positive and considering what we could have done with our Power, I guess I'm happy that we chose overwhelmingly in this life to Create rather than Destroy.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Tomn posted:

That's all fine and dandy, but the ledger's not closed yet and there's an ocean of red ink on the horizon...

Hope, truly, springs eternal.

I consider Enkidel dead now. We are a new creature made of Hunger. Snarls knows this and he's the best judge of character ever.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ok. So we can have a body and stuff, but we've unleashed a being that can't be killed and lives only to consume. We don't know how to stop it.

I guess I really have no idea what to do or what is really going on. Make it plain, thread!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

We are some little bitches if this is how we go out. An A vote is a vote to just quit the game it looks like. gently caress that. Plan Arkanomen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Diogines posted:

Do you think Goons will be any less prone to making stupid, stupid decisions after this, if we did rewind? Serious question.

I think we would tone it down for at least a little while. Besides, this happened in Lowell's game andit has only been a change for the better.

YES!